Natural hair care products....

Drea84

Do you find that you use the same products with natural hair as with relaxed hair? If not what natural hair care products do you find work the best in terms of conditioning, detangling, and the works.

For example the Cholestorol conditioner is supposed to be really good for natural hair. (It also works good for relaxed heads too - bad example but it gets the point across I hope
)

Thanks in advance!!

P.S. It can be a product your mom used back in the day any advice is welcome!

Drea84

joyadiva

I hate the cholestorol. For my hair it will just sit there and doesn't soak in. I'm using Kiss My Face products now and I'm loving it. I have found that I like more natural products in my hair than something with a bunch of words that I can't pronounce.

LuvableLady

Since I’ve been natural it seems that the usual commercial products do not work as well on my hair. My hair likes natural things like washing with herbs, henna treatments and essential oils. The wrong products make my hair feel hard and result in bad hair days for me which lead me to a false thinking that my hair is “bad” when in actuality it’s the products that I’m using that are “bad” for my “good” hair. If I add nothing at all after washing, my hair is extremely soft but I do add oils to keep it moist throughout the day. You’ll need to experiment to see what works best for your hair.

One of the products that does work well for my hair that I used when I was relaxed is African Royal BRX Braid Spray. It’s just something that I had from when I wore braids and one day I was doing another experiment and it works very well for my natural hair, helps keep it soft all day long (or as my niece would say fluffy) and it has some excellent ingredients in it.

A lot of the products that get raves on the board turn my hair hard. Kemi products are excellent for my hair and their Shea Butter Pomade is excellent. Who said natural AA hair only has sheen, this stuff makes it shine like glass. Crème of Nature Shampoo is also pretty good for occasional use for me.

I don’t want to say much more as lately when I’ve responded to natural hair threads (which relate to hair) they have been moved to off topic and later locked.

I hope this is okay to say.

sweetcocoa

Pantene Pro-V Smooth and Sleek works well for me...especially as a leave-in and gives me a lot of slip. I know a lot of relaxed heads who like it also. I also like Back to Basics Smoothing Elixer with green tea and shea butter gel. But mostly my hair prefers natural and homemade stuff...especially the blackstrap molasses.

pebbles

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
I don’t want to say much more as lately when I’ve responded to natural hair threads (which relate to hair) they have been moved to off topic and later locked.

I hope this is okay to say.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure it's o.k. Beverly moved both threads over to the OT board because those conversations were getting away from hair care tips and product reviews.

mirrormirror

I've noticed that all natural hair products does not take to my hair well. For it to work the first set of ingredients have to be chemical.

Drea84

Where do you guys go to purchase these "all natural" hair care products? Can you guys name a few of them so I can go check it out. I heard the kemi suggestion and I want to assume that this is a product line, is this a correct assumption? Sorry about all the questions...

THanks in advance

Drea84

ms_kenesha

Kemi is a product line here's the link Kemi Labs They have an online shop, but you can buy their products at any beauty supply.

Carol's Daughter is also an all natural line.

NappyNHappy is a new line I read about in Essence.

HTH

BrightEyes

Drea84 said:
Do you find that you use the same products with natural hair as with relaxed hair? If not what natural hair care products do you find work the best in terms of conditioning, detangling, and the works.

For example the Cholestorol conditioner is supposed to be really good for natural hair.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey Drea,

I can only speak for me, but only a few products made the transition with me. I still use Carol's Daughter shampoo, cholesterol, and hot oil treatments (though I had to stop using VO5 brand).

Otherwise, I find that I get the best results from products that are mostly natural (Nature's Gate, Aubrey's Organics, Carol's Daughter, etc.) I use Curl Vive (L'Oreal) and Hydrating Curls (Pantene) conditioners because they help with frizz. But I mix them with more natural conditioners. I recently purchased a bottle of Nexxus Humectress, but it's only so-so compared to my other conditioners. I'm also not going to buy another bottle of the Kenra Intentensive Emollient. I am a 4a and here are my favorite products:

Aubrey Organics GPB (it doesn't dry my hair out as much as the Nexxus protein conditioner I was using)
LustraSilk setting lotion (for curly twists)
LustraSilk Cholesterol
Curl Vive
Aubrey Organics Sea Buckthorn Shampoo
Rainbow Research Henna
Nature's Gate Herbal Conditioner

Drea84

Thanks Kenesha and BrightEyes you guys are like my natural hair gurus

Ms. Kenesha I am definately going to look into that kemi line
Bright Eyes where do you purchase your Aubrey Organics? I have seen the Lustrasilk in the stores if I'm not mistaken.

Thanks so much for your help!

Drea84

Honey Vibe

The Good Physician
Drea, I purchase Aubrey Organics online at their website, www.aubreyorganics.com (I think)

I buy the J.A.Y. shampoo and conditioner which work well on my hair. However, combined with shea butter, these ingredients can eventually create a film on my hair. Hair's healthy, hair's coiffed, but filmy. So once every month, I nuke my head with and SLS shampoo to strip that.

My hair stays healthy and clean this way

Drea84

Thnanks Honey Vibe!

I am going to go check that site out now for future references (I'm still in braids for now).

About the fabric does anyone know of anywhere online possibly if not in NYC.

Thanks a lot ladies you guys are a great help

Drea84

Drea84

Honey Vibe said:
Drea, I purchase Aubrey Organics online at their website, www.aubreyorganics.com (I think)

I buy the J.A.Y. shampoo and conditioner which work well on my hair. However, combined with shea butter, these ingredients can eventually create a film on my hair. Hair's healthy, hair's coiffed, but filmy. So once every month, I nuke my head with and SLS shampoo to strip that.

My hair stays healthy and clean this way

[/ QUOTE ]

I just checked out the site it is the correct one, Thanks. I didn't know they were so pricey for such small portions. But I will definately try anything once. Hopefully with the same results.

Thanks again

Drea84

azul11

the prices are more than regular hair products but not as much as on that site. i have found aubreys products in health food stores and it isnt as expensive as it is on that site. God bless you all.

Drea84

azul11 said:
the prices are more than regular hair products but not as much as on that site. i have found aubreys products in health food stores and it isnt as expensive as it is on that site. God bless you all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks Azul

I will be sure to check it out in the BSS first simply to compare the prices.

Drea84

azul11

also i think vitaminshoppe. jenjen said that the vitaminshoppe now carried ao island creme rinse and it is 6.40 while on the website it is $8. So you could check there as well.
God bless you all.

BrightEyes

Drea84 said:
Thanks Kenesha and BrightEyes you guys are like my natural hair gurus Bright Eyes where do you purchase your Aubrey Organics? I have seen the Lustrasilk in the stores if I'm not mistaken.

Thanks so much for your help!

Drea84

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL.

Yeah, Lustrasilk is really popular so you can find that almost anywhere. I get my Aubrey at the health food store because it's cheaper than online. Also, I like to smell stuff before I put it on my hair.

Is that weird?

Daughter

UK Blak
I've just bought Aveda Brilliant shampoo and conditioner after it was recomended to me but haven't tried it yet. I've been using Organic Roots Uplifiting Shampoo and Hair Mayonnaide. I've been told it's good to alternate shampoo brands so it's Aveda next wash!

I tried Pantene but my hair felt dry afterwards.

TwistNMx

Yes. Whole Foods Market has an aray of natural hair products...especially Aubrey. Believe me, I live in that store

Jade21

Drea,

The best place for discounts on Aubrey Organics online is Vitamin Life Their regular discount is 23% off suggested retail. It used to be 30%. Another route is to order from your retail Vitamin Shoppe rather than doing an online purchase to avoid the shipping cost. I've done this a lot since VS online rarely has 30% off suggested retail any longer. VA sales tax is 4.5% and doing the calculations, it was cheaper for me.

Unless you go to a smaller, neighbood healthfood store with better discounting, Fresh Fields/Whole Foods has few real discounts on AO..I've found very few over the years. However, it's a great place to go and "smell" the products

Aubrey Organics' conditioners are the best by far in terms of detangling and conditioning of the natural products, especially if you have thick, heavy hair. Personally, I cound not use Nature's Gate. I've tried several conditioners and they were extremely light, ineffective with detangling to say the least. Jason Naturals is one down from Aubrey, but is not nearly as rich, luxurious. However, it is really cheap and you might find a few shampoos and conditioners which you like. Best prices are available at VitaCost

Kiss My Face has a whole new line of shampoos and conditioners which you should check out. I tried the shampoo for dry hair and didn't care for it. Same with the conditioner.

Another superior line is EO Products. They make a host of shampoos and conditioners, not to mention body washes. Utterly divine. Extremely gentle. Conditioners are moisturizing and detangling. Shampoo, especially the one for dry hair, needed to be revamped which it has been. Check out the website and go into the Outlet section for major discounts: EO Products EO=essential oil

Only thing I can say about your original question is that what I have found is that my aim is pretty much the same whether relaxed or natural. I want gentle products, especially the shampoo, and heavy, creamy conditioners which keep this thick, heavy hair looking gorgeous. I only wish I had had Aubrey Organics when I had my hair relaxed. Awesome for both chemically processed (relaxer, perm, color, etc.) AND natural hair.

Aubrey Organics, Clairol, St. Ives, have been treating this hair extremely well
Check out my link under my profile and you can see the range I've been using.

Much Love to you,

Jade

Honey6928215

I have read your profile and notice the current length of your hair. Did AubreyOrganics had a lot to do with your hairgrowth? I have check the website and I pretty like what I see as for as the ingredients listed. This is something I want to invest in.

Naturalistic

I really love Carol's Daughter products. I know some people can't take the scents of certain products, but if you can live with a little heavy scents sometimes, you'll be O.K. I use her Hair Milk, which is a lighter lotion &amp; would probably work well for most ladies who relax (used sparingly); the Healthy Hair Butter may be too heavy, though, for relaxer-users. The Mimosa Hair Honey smells great &amp; would probably work (in giving sheen &amp; softness) for relaxed hair as well. But these would have to be used in very small quantities as they could easily weigh down relaxed hair. Since I'm natural, I can gob them on with no problem.
I also like Kemi Oyl's Shea Butter Pomade &amp; No-soap Shampoo for dry hair. Again, the pomade is very concentrated, so I don't use a lot; relaxed hair would need even less.

inthepink

I really love Carol's Daughter Healthy Hair Butter but I agree, it may be a little to heavy for all relaxed hair. I still haven't really figured out how to use the Hair Milk. Also, Carol's Daughter has pretty small sizes of products so you can try them with a decent amount to try at a pretty decent price.
---&gt;heading over to carolsdaughter.com

Spagirl

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Great thread!

In addition, the Hair tips thread has a Product Tips section that might be useful as well. The lady who gave those tip went from relaxed hair to natural. HTH as well!