Natural hair care q's

pureebony

Hi ladies,

I have a few questions, so please answer any or all if you can... :)

1 how do you wash your hair (whether with baking soda, Amla powder, black soap etc- why?), how many times etc- I know it sounds silly but my hair is prone to dryness and soaks up moisture like a sponge! So I have seen that allot of natural sistahs here do a baking soda wash every week. could you let me know what you do and why?

2 how do you condition, whether it be wash or deep condition, how many times a week etc

3 If you use growth agents such as Mega-Tek, Ovation etc how many times do you do the above a week and how?

4 Do you prepoo even though you dont regularly use shampoo to wash your hair? If so how?

5 As a natural headed lady how regularly do you trim your hair?

6 What protective hairstyles can you recommend (pics are great!)

The reason I ask this is becuase I want to use a growth aid, but I also want to keep the rest of my routine with natural products and like I mentioned before, keep my hair moisurised as it gets quite dry.

I have also been in extention braids back to back for over 5 years and my hair has suffered- big time, as in only grown 7 inches (the longest part that is) i have lots of tiny broken bits of hair that stick out from my scalp- after braiding.

My hair type is not coarse, but I would say it is a mixture of 4a and 3c in parts.

So any help you can provide ladies would be great!!!

Thank all of you beautiful inspiring long haired ladies!!!

xx

Ms Lala

1 how do you wash your hair (whether with baking soda, Amla powder, black soap etc- why?), how many times etc- I know it sounds silly but my hair is prone to dryness and soaks up moisture like a sponge! So I have seen that allot of natural sistahs here do a baking soda wash every week. could you let me know what you do and why? How often I wash depends on my hairstyle and the weather. In the fall/winter every 10-14 days, spring and summer usually every week unless my hair is straightened out. I don't use a shampoo w/sulfates unless I need to clarify.

2 how do you condition, whether it be wash or deep condition, how many times a week etc When I'm not being lazy I DC atleast 2x per month, in the summertime usually more often because I am more likely to wear my hair loose.

3 If you use growth agents such as Mega-Tek, Ovation etc how many times do you do the above a week and how? nope

4 Do you prepoo even though you dont regularly use shampoo to wash your hair? If so how? no

5 As a natural headed lady how regularly do you trim your hair? When needed, lately I have been neglecting my hair and I did a BIG trim!!

6 What protective hairstyles can you recommend (pics are great!) I love 2 strand twists it is my fav protective style, I also wear buns sometimes but I don't like them

I have coarse 4a/b hair so some of my tips may or may not work for you. You can check out my fotki but I recently revised my products so don't go by the ones listed. A combination of things was giving my hair some problems.

moni_kerr

1 how do you wash your hair (whether with baking soda, Amla powder, black soap etc- why?), how many times etc- I know it sounds silly but my hair is prone to dryness and soaks up moisture like a sponge! So I have seen that allot of natural sistahs here do a baking soda wash every week. could you let me know what you do and why?
I wash my hair with whatever shampoo I have laying around. I apply it to my finger tips and just wash my scalp. I do not apply any shampoo to my hair because the suds are enough to clean it as I rinse it off. I wash once a week.

2 how do you condition, whether it be wash or deep condition, how many times a week etc
I deep cond. twice a week, and I cowash inbetween

3 If you use growth agents such as Mega-Tek, Ovation etc how many times do you do the above a week and how?
-

4 Do you prepoo even though you dont regularly use shampoo to wash your hair? If so how?
-

5 As a natural headed lady how regularly do you trim your hair?
- I usually just search and destroy the ends individually.

Twists!

pureebony

Thank you both, might I add that your hair WOW!!!!!!!!

Its ladies like you that make me remember why Im doing this!!

Thanks a bunch!!

LadyEuphoria007

1 how do you wash your hair (whether with baking soda, Amla powder, black soap etc- why?), how many times etc- I know it sounds silly but my hair is prone to dryness and soaks up moisture like a sponge! So I have seen that allot of natural sistahs here do a baking soda wash every week. could you let me know what you do and why? I wash my hair in the shower with either Organix Coconut Milk Shampoo, Suave Daily Clarifying Poo, Beauty 4 Ashes GodHead Shampoo, HE Frizz B Gone (whatever its called) or my own potion of Castile Soap and EOs. At the least once a week, but really whenever my hair feels like it needs a wash.

2 how do you condition, whether it be wash or deep condition, how many times a week etc Most of the times I Cowash daily b/c of working out with V05 Moisture Condish with Silk proteins. If I used Organix Poo first, then I follow with their condish. V05 gives me some nice WnGs though. I DC once a week with homemade stuff.

3 If you use growth agents such as Mega-Tek, Ovation etc how many times do you do the above a week and how? MN nightly mixed with sulfur 8 grease, applied to scalp in sections like a grease.

4 Do you prepoo even though you dont regularly use shampoo to wash your hair? If so how? I don't preepoo. No real reason, I just don't.

5 As a natural headed lady how regularly do you trim your hair? I was trimming monthly but decided to stop all together.

I don't do protective styles right now, but I see a lot of ladies saying that twists are the protective styles of choice. Cornrows are good too.

Last edited: