natural hair q's.........

explosiva9

I'm new to natural hair and I have a short twa and wants my hair to grow. I have been scrolling thread after thread but there are so many and for now I want just a few questions answered.
- how do I define my curls?
- some people say that henna loosens curls.. how so?
- what is a se texturizer?
- any ayurvedic naturals?
- how can I get looser curls with chemicals? Also definition of my curls without chems?
- any tips for beginners? I have never had my hair natural and I'm really nervous.

Thanks in advance

Trini_Chutney

Peeing in my shower
Hello there! I'm newly natural too but I think I can answer some of your questions.

define your curls- there are a few ways to do this, gel, kinky curling custard, conditioner etc. I would suggest you google the curly girl method, and search define curls in you tube.

I don't know exactly how it does it but a lot of people say that henna loosens their curl pattern if they don't add amla powder to it.

There are lots of ayurvedic naturals and relaxed on this board, I think there's even an ayurveda support thread. Search ayurveda support and see if that helps.

The only tip I can give you is to make sure your hair gets lots of moisture, try deep conditioning at least once a week so your hair doesn't get thirsty.

Hopefully some of the naturals who have done this for a while will chime in for you. Good luck!

jamaraa

Hi explosiva didn't know you were still around. If you're still interested in ayurveda, that'll help your transition.

luvn_life

I absolutely love Ayurveda!! Once I get more natural hair (I'm transitioning) I will definitely be mixing Shikakai, Amla and Brahmi tea in my conditioner. It makes my hair super soft.

A texturizer is basically a perm it just doesn't get your hair bone straight. So if you use that you will no longer be natural. But alot of the sisters use it when they don't want bone straight hair, but they want their hair texture a little looser.

As for defining curls, that trini chutney had good tips about using gels and conditioners.

Hope this answers some of your questions :)

explosiva9

Jamaraa, OMG, how r u? I just came back on after a stylist destroyed all my progress and now I'm going to try being a natural. So back to my tea rinses and such.. lol

I know that some naturals are doing an "se texturizer"? I don't know what that means. Lol

SEMO

I'm not a natural hair guru, so I'll just tackle the questions I can personally speak on.

As far as defining curls, I would say that I've found detangling my hair in the shower after washing it (with a wide tooth comb), using a nice moisturizing product (like Africa's Best Texture My Way leave-in), and then not touching the hair while it's drying is key.

While the hair is wet you want to put your hair products on gently, in smoothing motions that don't disturb your curls to much (I don't comb my hair after it's dentangled soaking wet, and only lightly brush the top of my hair if I'm smoothing it into a ponytail).

And for a looser curled look without chemicals you could always try doing twist-outs.

Whimsy

Hey, how are you liking natural life so far?

I can only answer a few of these for ya:

- how do I define my curls?
you can try curl activator, or conditioner/oil, or some of the custards and gels spoken about on these forums

- some people say that henna loosens curls.. how so? can't answer

- what is a se texturizer? i think it's just a relaxer that's not combed through to make your hair straight, it's quick and just loosens ur curl. it's a chemical process though.

- any ayurvedic naturals? can't answer

- how can I get looser curls with chemicals? texlax/texturize

Also definition of my curls without chems? answer is same as your first question

- any tips for beginners? research, look at youtubers, experiment, have patience

GOOD LUCK ON YOUR JOURNEY!!!

Hair2Here

Welcome! I'm a natural and I began co-washing my hair. I love the way it softens my hair.

I agree with Whimsy. I love using a curl activator to loosen my curls.

As far as using a henna, never tried it. Heard it can dry your hair out a little and I will have none of that. I'm not to keen on using a product for one benefit and it has possible "side effects". My reasoning for joining this site was to find methods to alleviate my dry, snap crackle and pop hair.

I'm a huge fav of EcoStlyler gel. It's alcohol free and there's one that has oil in it. I use this quite heavily to soften my natural curls.

I find it funny saying curls though after all these years. Prior to LHCF, I've been referring to my 'curls' as 'nappy naps' lol...lol...lol!