Natural Ladies - Ever regret coloring your hair?

faithVA

me either! I could pass for 20s easily but this grey makes me look 50 :/ no offense to anyone but I'm 36.

I'm almost 50 and I don't like the gray either. Just because I'm 50 doesn't mean I want to look it :lol: I look much younger without the gray.

Grays have to go :yep:

krikit96

Dang... I'm 35, and I look 28-29... I'll even take 30.. people are always shocked at the fact I have 3 kids and how old they are... HOWEVER, last year, I started poppin gray hairs like I was goin for the world record on fastest gray populations! :ohwell:

I NEED to cover these grays, like really, it's messin up errythang! I used to pluck them out, but I did a hide your hair challenge and after 6 months they are BACK with a VENGEANCE! There's too many to pluck out!

So it sounds like, from reading this thread, Henna is the best way to go if you wanna be natural - but I've read some pretty bad things about Henna too... soooooo

SEMI permanent (wth is demi permanent?):look: - sounds like the best option for me I guess... But my aunt told me this was her trick to giving her clients shiny pretty hair back when she was in the salons... she said use a CLEAR gloss dye for hair color... and that way your hair ALWAYS looks like its shining... has anybody ever tried that????

CocoGlow

I'm not natural, but I color a lot and wanna throw my two cents in.

Go to a professional who REALLY knows what they're doing. I somehow managed to get highlights twice a year for YEARS and my relaxed hair was full, long and thrived. It grew like weeds and never broke off. Not to mention, I was getting my relaxers and highlights at a regular ole dominican salon.

When I color it's usually with demi-permanent or semi permanent, but last May, I went to a good salon where a master stylist with AMAZING reviews did my highlights and they came out perfect. My hair didn't flinch, disintegrate, nada. Not saying that it can't happen at a salon or that it will happen if you try at home; some women can color at home and their hair is fine. At the end of the day, it's all a risk, but I think having a professional do it IF you decide you wanna go that route, is imperative.

For those doing full head colors or darkening the hair (especially to black) just use a REALLY good demi-perm color; no need to go the permanent route. Demi's last SUPER long, leave the hair shiny and isn't anywhere near as damaging as permanent.

outspokenwallflower

What really good Demi-Permanent brands would you suggest using? Do you buy them in regular Beauty Supply Stores?

I'm clueless about these things. Thanks!

Sprinkl3s

yup! I used the Shea moisture system and my hair is always dry. I'm also having a hard time retaining cause my ends are so dry.

KEWLKAT103

It's only been about 2 months for me, but I love it!
I used the shea moisture dye kit and I have not experienced any extra dryness or texture issues.
The color is fab too!

g.lo

I have a colour consultation tomorrow, the salon uses the organic colour systems. I use to use Henna but fed up of the process. I tried semi from l'oreal, and they wash out so quickly that my greys stick out after about 2 -3 weeks, no bueno.
Anyway after the consultation, I will make my decision if i will go ahead or not.
I don't have much greys but they are just on my hairline, i hate them.

leigh.hill

@NappyRina When I was relaxed I used to get clear rinses. Never saw the "shiny" hair even with straight relaxed hair. The color rinses were so much better. Lasted a good 4-6 weeks even with me co-washing twice a week and shampooing once a week.

OP - I just got my hair professionally dyed. Regretted it instantly because of the color PLUS my hair was crispy, scary dry. It only took a few days to get it back to normal. I am going to back off from permanent hair coloring for awhile. Going to try some henna mixes.

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
Nope. The biggest regret I have is that my head is too big and I always need 1.5 tubes of hair color. I use a demi-permanent to cover grays and add shine.

CocoGlow

@NappyRina When I was relaxed I used to get clear rinses. Never saw the "shiny" hair even with straight relaxed hair. The color rinses were so much better. Lasted a good 4-6 weeks even with me co-washing twice a week and shampooing once a week.

OP - I just got my hair professionally dyed. Regretted it instantly because of the color PLUS my hair was crispy, scary dry. It only took a few days to get it back to normal. I am going to back off from permanent hair coloring for awhile. Going to try some henna mixes.

leigh.hill

Did you use rinses like Adore or Jazzing from the Beauty Supply Store? What colors were you using?

Thanks for responding!

CocoGlow

Nope. The biggest regret I have is that my head is too big and I always need 1.5 tubes of hair color. I use a demi-permanent to cover grays and add shine.

B_Phlyy

What brand/color Demi-Permanent do you use? Do you feel the need to condition more frequently to avoid damage?

Thanks!

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
B_Phlyy

What brand/color Demi-Permanent do you use? Do you feel the need to condition more frequently to avoid damage?

Thanks!

I've used the Ion and Age Beautiful brands from Sally's. I'm currently using Redken Shades EQ. I like it more than the Ion but not as much as the Age Beautiful.

I do have to deep condition more frequently but not nearly as much as when I bleached my hair. I found it easier to use a "heavier" moisture based conditioner for longer rather than adding an additional deep conditioning session.

outspokenwallflower

NappyRina I'm in love with Redken Shades EQ Gloss. :)

Not too easy to find in stores (well, at least here it isn't... it was in multiple BSS but some of those stores closed down) but very easy to order online.

healthyhair2

I am thinking of getting highlights...but I'm worried that it will muck up my curl pattern.

(I've looked into doing henna and also doing the honey/lemon/sunlight trick...and I think I'd rather just go to a professional stylist and let them use peroxide.)

Thoughts?

I never regretted coloring my hair. I would let a professional do it though,especially if you have lots of hair. If you keep up with your conditioning treatments you should be fine.

leigh.hill

NappyRina - I was going to a stylist. I have no idea what brand she used. Sorry. I liked the color rinses because they covered the grays :) I always got a red rinse for a little pop of color. I don't have too many grays, but the rinses cover them well and it almost looks like highlights. I do my own rinses now with a CHEAP rinse from the beauty supply store. No damaging to my hair and I've been using it for a year now. Seriously cheap like $3.99.

Honey Bee

I guess it depends on your hair we have to remember everyone is different some things works for some and not for others. However, the rule of thumb is when in doubt stay away from it. I posted a question just like this a few weeks ago because I just BC and I was afraid I read reviews but I still went with what was inside of me and I colored it. I didn't go to light just a honey blonde and I didn't loose my little curl pattern I just developed however, I do moisturize my hair with shea butter 2x a day, prepoo with organic coconut oil and I DC every 2 days with honey and Olive oil and this has helped tremendously with my texture, shine and overall hair maintenance. But again stay away from doubtful matters.
Ummnuh05, Just wanted to tell you: oils aren't moisturizing. Any true moisturizer should have water in it (I think). Coconut oil is the exception because it's molecules are small enough to get in your strands.

I'm only saying this because I wouldn't want you to have a set back thinking you're doing everything right. That would suck. :ohwell:

Ms Lala

Coloring my hair was the worst thing I ever did!!!!!!! I went red so perhaps that is why. I 've heard that can be a harsh color. My hair was very dry and broke non stop. I should mention that my hair seems to be pretty sensitive. I never took well to relaxers either and I cannot use a lot of heat.

Glib Gurl

NappyRina - I was going to a stylist. I have no idea what brand she used. Sorry. I liked the color rinses because they covered the grays :) I always got a red rinse for a little pop of color. I don't have too many grays, but the rinses cover them well and it almost looks like highlights. I do my own rinses now with a CHEAP rinse from the beauty supply store. No damaging to my hair and I've been using it for a year now. Seriously cheap like $3.99.

NappyRina Would you mind sharing what brand of rinse you purchase?

naturallygoldie

I just used the shea moisture color system yesterday and my only regret is not getting it sooner! So far, it's great at covering my white hairs but i don't think it's strong enough to give really bright hi lights

faithVA

I just used the shea moisture color system yesterday and my only regret is not getting it sooner! So far, it's great at covering my white hairs but i don't think it's strong enough to give really bright hi lights

I like it too. So far it's my favorite color.

CocoGlow

I like it too. So far it's my favorite color.

Oh and the Shea Moisture one is probably the ONLY Permanent Color I would experiment with so far ... sooooo many great reviews everywhere! :yep:

Ummnuh05

Ummnuh05, Just wanted to tell you: oils aren't moisturizing. Any true moisturizer should have water in it (I think). Coconut oil is the exception because it's molecules are small enough to get in your strands.

I'm only saying this because I wouldn't want you to have a set back thinking you're doing everything right. That would suck. :ohwell:

Thanks hunny bunny but yes I know oils are not moisturizers I used oils on my scalp but I moisturize my hair with shea butter maybe I wasn't clear but thanks again.

Misseyl

Not when I use Henna I don't regret it. I don't like commercial dyes because my did not like it when it was relaxed, so I just don't want to take any chances. I'm too old now to start over because of a bad dye job.

menina

Believing the book of Revelations
Nah, no regrets. My curl pattern is the same and it opened up my low porous cuticle a bit. My bleached hair is dryer than my permanent/ demipermanent colored hair. It's more maintenance, but I'm fine with it.

beanie44

I just wanted to add that I am natural and get my hair colored once a year at an Aveda Salon. Yeah it cost more money, but the guy who does my hair does a really good job. I got mine done on Friday 06jun2014, so far hair is soft, all of my curls look the same. As, someone mentioned, I do moisture/protein treatments because it can feel dry fast on my ends but not the entire strand. I got dark red to cover the grey and he lifts some strands to a lighter red that my hair naturally pulls toward. So far I am happy with the color and feel of my hair. I have bee getting my hair colored at Aveda for the last 5 years. God willing I will be going back next year.

felic1

I bought a box from Garnier Fructis. It has a developer in it. I am scared to use it. I have a red from Clairol texture and tones and a red. I will be embarking with the Clairol. In one of those colors.

tapioca_pudding

I had my hair colored last summer, I got a range from brown, light brown and some almond slices (that's what the colorist called my light blonde highlights LOL). I LOVED LOVED my color, it was so dope. She did an amazing job and is all about healthy hair, so she didn't blow out my cuticles by raising the color too fast etc. My hair was extremely healthy and still grew with no issues. I upped my moisture/protein but nothing crazy; I didn't feel like a slave to my hair.

The only thing I didn't like is that, while I was natural, I was getting BKT treatments. The BKT treatments always altered my hair color to make it lighter, so I wound up having to keep darkening my hair to a dark blonde after each BKT. I still never experienced damage, thankfully, but it was just a lot of work after a while.

When I'm fully natural again (ran out and got a relaxer all willy nilly, smh), I will likely go back to her and get a full head of color again.

I think it's important to go to someone who doesn't just do one-for-all color, and who is a COLORIST, not a stylist. Huge difference. She even added some precious oil mixture to the color mix, and my hair felt like SILK when she was done. :yep: