Natural Ladies - Ever regret coloring your hair?

Cheleigh

I have been using Aveda permanent color for years on my natural hair to cover mean, aggressive grey and I've never had an issue with breakage. It will be a little drier, but a condition wash solves that. I don't boost my color with bleach at Aveda, mostly because they will caution you against it. I currently have a like a 1A with subtle blue sheen and I love it.

I have bleached my natural hair too (not Aveda) , and didn't have any major issues. But I feel bleaching is not sustainable without doing some damage at some point.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy SIII using LHCF

kupenda

Thanks hunny bunny but yes I know oils are not moisturizers I used oils on my scalp but I moisturize my hair with shea butter maybe I wasn't clear but thanks again.

I think you missed what she was saying. There's no water in shea butter. Shea butter is a sealant. If you melt it, its oil. No aqueous ingredients. Meaning that it provides lubrication but not moisture. You need a true moisturizer Ummnuh05

L.Brown1114

Yes, because I have normal porosity hair (super low maintenance and chill) and when I bleached it, it turned into high porosity hair and it was WAY too needy for me. Can't wait to cut the rest of this bleach damaged hair off...

MizAvalon

They aren't too bad at this point(but eventually they will be) but I do want to color my grays. I'm hesitant because I don't want my natural texture to change.

NaturallyATLPCH

Darkening your natural hair color isn't nearly as damaging as lightening it. I dye my hair jet black every 4 months to cover grays and refresh my roots. I have noticed no curl pattern change and I have not experienced any dryness.

I agree. The few times I've gone darker, no issues. The one time I bleached, I regretted it and my hair suffered. I had to chop off those ends and BC a third time.

ajargon02

I color and have no issues with dryness. I do a protein tx prior to coloring to help the box color I use take as well as possible.
I make sure to use TRUE moisturizing deep conditioner that I use with heat alternating with protein DC eow.

Napturallypretty1908

I went blonde and don't regret it. My hair texture didn't change and the only thing in my regimen that changed was starting to use a color safe shampoo. I actually plan on going back to black cause I miss how shiny my dark hair was and sometime the blonde can look dry even when my hair is moistured. still no regrets cause I wanted to go blonde for years

happycakes

Well, my hair is dyed and I have to finger detangle before I wash my hair. I can not use brushes and combs with color treated hair ever. Finger combing allows me to be gentle with my natural hair and prevents breakage.

What really works for me is to wash my hair (with a sulfate free shampoo to protect the color), then put in Tresemme Undone Conditioner immediately afterwards, then let it sit for 30 minutes (under a plastic conditioning bag). I rinse and I have no tangles.

Here's a great detangling video for you. Even though this lady has relaxed her, this will work for natural hair as well.

Good luck!

I hate most of these answers!!! I really want some cutie pie highlights

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
I had a permanent color applied by a professional a few months after my BC to cover ugly spotty grays. It was great as long as I kept my hair only a few inches long but then I started to grow it out. That's when I noticed the difference in health between my roots and my ends. I religiously do weekly steam conditioning treatments, occasionally do protein treatments and my ends were terrible...all the way to the line of demarcation. Detangling was a nightmare because of highly porous ends. I cut most of the color out and have about an inch left. I will never get color again, my super fine 4c strands just can't handle it. My gray hair doesn't age me because I keep my figure nice and my skincare regimen help maintain some level of youthfulness. I actually feel great because I'm old enough to have gray hair but I don't look my age! I'm not my hair.

ETA: I didn't lighten my hair either, I had her use a color very similar to my own. I think it only lifted one level and deposited some color; dark auburn.

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
I haven't really had any major problems. However, you have to keep after it. I try to regularly steam with oils and stay on top of my conditioner game.

Janet'

I haven't really had any major problems. However, you have to keep after it. I try to regularly steam with oils and stay on top of my conditioner game.

:amen:...I do not regret coloring at all...I have to color to cover the greys...I choose to use blondes and reds...Coloring and keeping hair healthy means that you must step up your hair game--deep conditioning on a regular basis, babying those ends, massaging that scalp--it's a must if you want to see retention...But, it is VERY doable!