Natural ladies: How often do you use direct heat?

Nonie

I don't really have a schedule. Just do it when I feel like it, which isn't often. I think part of the reason for doing it seldom is same as that of ladykpnyc "too much work" coz usually I could spend as little as 45 minutes on my hair in a week--and that includes the two washes.

I straightened in Dec 2004, then toward the end of 2006, then in April 2009 and haven't done it again since.

cheryl26

MyCoilsGoBoing
cheryl26

i have just ordered some chi silk infusion.... I know it's a heat protectant (i think), but what other benefits does it have to the hair

None that I can think of. Most of the ingredients are cones so I figure it's best at just protecting from heat and reducing frizz in high humidity; it isn't moisturizing at all and smells like men's cologne.

greenbees

I use direct heat on my hair maybe once every 3 months. I usually go to a salon to get it straightened by I've done it on my own as well.

When I straighten my hair on my own, I used John Frieda Heat Defeat Protective Styling Spray and a dab of CHI Silk Infusion. Together, they work like magic for my hair.

I'm guessing that my hair type is 4a.

ScorpioBeauty09

Every 2 weeks, except for a month in the summer when it's braided so I can swim. I always use Fantasia IC Heat Protectant, along with CHI Silk Infusion when I feel like it. I also use Tresemme Thermal Protection shampoo and conditioner if I feel my hair's even the slightest damaged. I'm able to keep my hair healthy and growing.:grin: I wore my hair only in braids from age 4 to 16 and while it protected my hair, my hair is actually easier to maintain while straight.

FearlessNik

I never use heat on my hair. Since I bc'd a year ago I simply air dry and use a towel. I'm learning to work with my texture and I don't want to change it.

fivetimestwo

I flat iron every 3 months when I get my color retouched. I either let them flat iron it at the salon (using aveda products) or I do it myself at home.

When I flat iron at home I only use spray leave in (like the Aphogee Green Tea Restructurizer) and then twist in 4 sections. I either air dry or sit under the hooded dryer. I then use tresseme spray heat protectant while I wait for the flat iron to heat up (I use one of those jilbere models from sally's).

I find that my hair turns out much better if I forgo the creamy leave ins and heavy heat serums.
:yep:

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
I was flat ironing for each length check....about 3 times a year.

I rollerset on large rollers FIRST then flat iron with curling wax. My hair turns out nice and it lasted longer than I thought.

LiveLoveLife

For the past 2 months I have been blowdrying/ flat ironing weekly -sometimes every 2 weeks (prior to that was doing braidouts/twists for a few months). Been doing this for the past 4 years and have never ever had heat damage or lost my curl pattern. I would say DCing every wash and using a good heat protectant are key. I use Aphogee keratin & green tea reconstructor and Fantasia IC heat protectant. I used to use sabino as a heat protectant, but IMO it's a waste of money. CHI is great, but I think Fantasia IC works just as well and is a lot cheaper. My hair type is 4a.

Fab_Nikki

I am almost 1 year natural and I haven't used direct heat since that day. I have no plans to use it. I am on my own personal "no heat" challenge. I am totally scared I will end up with damage and get split ends. I like my simple, natural hairstyle.

constance

3x a yr with a curling iron after blow drying on cool. I use a CHI thermal protection and CHI silk infusion but I can't say I'm impressed by either...just trying to use them up at this point. Last time I straightened by air drying in rollers & had better results (hair was flatter). And roller setting & air drying took much less effort!

Legally Natural

I straighten my hair once a year. I usually use Fantasia IC Heat Protectant serum, but I am switching it up this year and using Got2B Guardian Angel Heal Protectant spray. I wanted something a little more light. I am also using a new flatiron, the Solia.

Jewell

I figured I would NOT use heat for a long time (like over a year) since BC'ing in January. I love my curls, but due to SSKs, mats, and shrinkage, it is difficult to style my hair as I like and just go! I like wake up and go hair without a whole lot of effort (I'm always tired and get hair lazy).

Kinda tired of the wigs, so I decided to blowdry with an old Conair 1500 dryer, using the tension method. My whole head was literally dry in 10 mins. I used a bit of Vatika oil (coconut oil) before blowdrying (after a shampoo with Nexxus Botanoil and Creme of Nature Detangling shampoo, deep condition with Joico Moisturizer Conditioner). The tension method didn't work very well for me...it locked my curls in, making it harder to then straighten with my flat-iron.

I use a Conair Ceramic Flat-Iron on number 20 or about 320-350 degrees. Applied a dab of Vatika Oil and Smooth N' Shine Straighten polish to each section. My results were good, I had lots of volume but my hair was straight. I used my Maxiglide Miniglide for my edges (it is 1/2"). I hate the time it takes to rollerset and let my hair dry in them since it's long, otherwise I would rollerset then flat-iron.

I will have to try this Fantasia IC Heat protectant and Aphogee Green Tea Restructurizer I hear you ladies mentioning, and also get a good heat protectant spray. The last time I straightened, I was transitioning, and I had no heat damage. I don't forsee any with my method.

I plan to wash, dc, air dry with hair stretched or banded/use hooded dryer, then flat-iron ONCE A MONTH. That is really the only time I have energy and free time to straighten. Otherwise, I may visit a salon for a blow-out and flat-iron if I just can't do it myself during a given month, for whatever reason.

I always said I wouldn't heat train, but my hair has become unmanageable with the mats and I can only style it when it's damp or wet (not cool since the winters get bitterly cold here and it takes too long to style anyway at my shrunken length). :nono:

Even if I style while damp or wet, once it's dry, the shrinkage can ruin the style unless I'm in twists or a tight pony puff/bun. I think that I need to use heat, like "LongHairDon'tCare" from YouTube. I cannot run a comb or even my fingers through main sections of my hair while dry and unstraightened. I'm about 25% 3c, 75% 4a...so mostly 4a.

I love how easily I can style my hair while straightened. I can bun it and leave the bun in for days, only applying a satin scarf at nite, and take it off when it's time to go! Maybe being a straightened natural is better for me.

I'm experimenting, because due to my health, lifestyle, work, errands, etc., I have little time or energy to fight my hair in it's natural state. In the spring and summer, I will return to natural styles like twists and braids---GLADLY since my hair reverts easily with the slightest perspiration (as I found 1 night after straightening) or moisture in the air. Hence, the straightening will only be in the cool months with low humidity (late Sept-late March).

Though I got good results this time, I'll be buying a new flat-iron within the next week or 2 (a Cortex, Remington, Chi, Solia, or Babyliss Nano Titanium). I need one with wider plates (at least 1.5-2" +) since my hair is long. I'm trying to make the straightening process as fast as possible (currently wash to finish is 3 hours). :nono:

I mainly bun, so I don't need stick straight hair...that will help me use as little heat as possible, thankfully.

P.S. Does Sabino Moisture Block really work? What is the best product you ladies know of that can resist humidity, and reduce reversion?

Last edited: