Natural Ladies Please Respond

Elyse

<font color="red">
Do you cut/trim/dust your hair curly or straight?? Wet or dry??</font color>

<font color="blue"> I an just curious because I have different amounts of shrinkage in different parts of my head so a cut on straight hair probably wouldn't look good curly. My hair is longer when it is wet than it is when it is dry (and curly.) I think that my hair would be easier to cut when it's wet.

In her book, Lorraine says that it is better to cut dry curls than wet.

I am soooo confused /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif</font color>

Sindeee

I'm natural and I cut either wet or dry.

Cut Dry: When I have frizzy looking ends that I want to get rid of. (I like this method because I can see exactly where and how much needs to be cut)

Cut Wet: When I'm in need or want more of an exact cut. (i.e. I want to cut 1" straight across OR more of an sharp/precise cut) I don't cut my own hair when it's wet, I let my natural stylist do that for me.

Hope that helps!

Sindeee

skegeesmb

I cut dry. If I get it cut wet, I would go to a stylist. It's easy for me to cut my hair dry. I can't do it wet, so I'll pay to get it done.

sweetcocoa

If I go to the sylist I always ask them to cut it dry...I like to see exactly how much hair they are cutting off. If I'm just 'dusting' I do it as I roller set..dusting the very tips of each section I roll.

coilykinks

It depends on how even you want your hair. With 2a &amp; b hair it could be cut even some textures of 3a &amp; 3b while wet. My hair is 4a and I cut little split ends while my hair is dry (aired dried) I exam my ends weekly and if I see a split I snip it away. I am going to have my hair pressed out in mid November or early December to have my hair trimmed completely even. I rarely see split ends but I want a nice even trim.

I would suggest that if you really want a nice even trim blow dry or press (flat iron or hot comb)if you have textured coily-kinky hair. If super even hair is not a concern of yours then you can clip ends in its natural state (air dried) or wet. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

S

Silkylocks

Hi Elyse, I'm natural and I usually do big trims ( 1/2 inch every two months) when my hair is damp and in six big twists. I know it doesn't come out even, but I usually wear it curly since blow-dryer heat absolutely fries my hair. My hair is also longer when it's wet. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

current length: nearly mid-back
goal:waist
type: 3c pencil size curls with waves on underneath layers

VALLEYGIRL

I have cut my hair both wet and dry. I prefer dry b/c I can see exactly how much they cut. When I had it cut wet they cut WAY too much off and I couldn't tell right then and there.

The problem comes in when (if you are like me) and you wear your hair both ways, curly and straight b/c you get two different looks depending on how it was cut.

By this I mean when my hair is cut dry and cut blunt across when I wear it curly again it hangs or falls differently and when it is cut curly (so that is shaped nicely) when I wear it straight it looks a little weird b/c it is slightly uneven.
So I guess it all depends on how you wear your hair most of the time.
So when I get a trim I get it cut dry and only cut off what is necessary which is not a whole lot b/c I don't heat style my hair a lot which cuts back on the damage and I tell them not to worry about making it very even/blunt cut straight across b/c when I wear it curly again it will give me a Rosanne Rosanna Danna pyramid head kinda look.
(I hope thsi makes sense...it's late and I'm a little tired!)
Valleygirl

Elyse

<font color="green">
Thanks everybody!!!!

Valleygirl,

I know exactly what you mean about the wet/dry thing. I had my big chop done on wet hair. It looks very good curly, but when it is straight, it is uneven. I think that I'll be wearing my hair curly more often so I should probably cut it when it is curly and dry. </font color>

hairfanatic

Hi Elyse,

I cut my hair straight and dry. I tried to cut my hair wet one time and it came out all uneven because of the tight curl I have and I wasn't able to pull down all of my hair evenly. Shrinkage can be very deceiving.