NATURAL NEWBIE WITH QUESTIONS!

GreenEyedJen

Hello everyone!
I’m new here and NEWLY NATURAL! Just BC’ed March 24th. I am absolutely loooving my natural hair, and wish I did it sooner. ANYWAY, I always flat ironed my hair when relaxed, and I transitioned with heat. I haven’t put any heat to my head since the BC (besides DC treatments) and don’t plan to, but my hair feels LESS healthy than when I was using heat. I’m realizing that my natural hair is an entirely different animal than both my relaxed AND transitioning hair strands were. I have lots of questions, but my main one (right now) is: Does Vatika oil change the color of your hair? I have light hair and eyes (think Vanessa Williams) and someone recently commented that my hair color looks darker than when I was relaxed. I’ve been using Vatika for awhile, and it’s actually the only oil that I can leave on my hair without it feeling like it’s just sitting there. I used it while transitioning, so I didn’t notice the gradual color change, but it does look like my natural highlights have been darkened somehow. Is Vatika to blame? If so, is there a comparable oil that won’t change my natural color? I love this oil but I definitely DO NOT want to darken my natural color.
The other thing I’m dying to know is: Did anyone else have this moisture problem after BC’ing? If so, what products did you use for moisture? My hair is extremely fine. I don’t know my hairtype for sure, but I think I’m in the 3B/C range. For that reason, my hair gets weighed down easily. I need a really moisturizing conditioner that I can wash out. The “cheapie” stuff makes my hair feel good while wet, but it’s crunchy when dry. When I was relaxed and while transitioning, I used KeraCare religiously. I wish there was something from Avlon especially for natural hair!

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

GreenEyedJen

BUMP for more views...ladies please help! At least with the Vatika question. I haven't found any threads that address this issue.

Thanks ladies...

Baje

I use Aussie Moist or Elasta QP DPR-11 for a moisturizing conditioner.

Never used Vatika oil so I can't comment. However, when my hair was relaxed my natural hair color was lightened to a light brown, through the sun and swimming. Now that I am natural it is considerably darker because the chemicals haven't altered it. This may explain the color change you are experiencing.

so1913

Relaxers can cause some lighten to the color of your hair, especially No-lye/calcium hydroxide relaxers. Its normal for your natural hair color to be a little richer/darker, less ashy/dull and have more of a sheen to it compared to your chemically treated hair.

lilsparkle825

idk the answer to the vatika oil question, but WELCOME!

maybe you can try rinsing all your conditioner out after cowashing and just adding coconut oil to your hair. also, perhaps you are just leaving in too much conditioner. i know that if i leave in too much, my hair gets crunchy as well.

matrix conditioning balm is super moisturizing....try the sally's GVP brand of it if you plan on using it for cowashing.

Whimsy

Welcome to the Natural World and welcome to LHCF

Color change: well maybe the relaxers had a lightening effect, I've heard that from some folks, but if your natural color is lighter, I dunno what could be the culprit. I don't know much about vatika oil, maybe re-ask your question in one of the ayurveda threads?

When you say your hair feels less healthy do you mean dry? rough? etc... I'd like to know.

For moisture, you'll probably have to do some trial and error to see what your hair will love or hate. You have a couple good suggestions already and there are TONS of threads on moisturizing products. Do a search and you'll see!

Good luck on your healthy hair journey!!! :)

GreenEyedJen

Dang, I just found this thread I started like two seconds ago...
just wanted to say thanks to the ladies up top for answering my questions! I'm further along in my journey now and think I have the moisture thing down. My hair color is back to normal as well, though I think that's from the sun (my hair always gets lighter during the summer). I think the comments about relaxer lightening hair were on point. My hair is still light, but the base color is richer. I used relaxer (mostly no-lye) for fifteen years straight so it def. makes sense.

Thanks again!