Natural or Organic Hair Care Products

eshille

Last edited:

CurlyMoo

I use Aubrey's conditioners as well, and am looking for a good line that includes poo and moisturizers. I tried the Aubrey poo, and it seemed very drying, but I will try it will oil next time and see how it works. Anybody find a good organic poo that doesn't leave your hair feeling dry/stripped and tangled?

I have the same problem with Aubrey and it's causing me to doubt my regimen.

almond eyes

I work abroad and got very interested in the whole natural and organic products hair thing. I purchased several of these products when I came to the States and in the end I found many of the products a waste of money. While the whole controversy concerning the parabens and the other icky stuff that could lead to cancer prompted me to change over, I realised that eating habits have a greater role to play in health than anything else. I tend to like more of the natural and organic products for my skin rather than my hair and I find that some of these products the scents are too strong and it did nothing for my hair which is natural. Just because something is natural or organic does not necessarily mean it is good for you, some people have serious allergies to the natural oils, shea butter, nuts and some of these products are not preserved properly enough which is very dangerous. Products not properly preserved could lead to bacteria formation and that is more dangerous than any so called "unnatural" product on the market. I think a lot of the whole issue of natural and organic skin and hair products is all about marketing. I know people who used only these natural and organic products who have died and come down with cancer so I guess what I am saying is that use what works for you and not because of any unproven fears.

InnerSoul

I work abroad and got very interested in the whole natural and organic products hair thing. I purchased several of these products when I came to the States and in the end I found many of the products a waste of money. While the whole controversy concerning the parabens and the other icky stuff that could lead to cancer prompted me to change over, I realised that eating habits have a greater role to play in health than anything else. I tend to like more of the natural and organic products for my skin rather than my hair and I find that some of these products the scents are too strong and it did nothing for my hair which is natural. Just because something is natural or organic does not necessarily mean it is good for you, some people have serious allergies to the natural oils, shea butter, nuts and some of these products are not preserved properly enough which is very dangerous. Products not properly preserved could lead to bacteria formation and that is more dangerous than any so called "unnatural" product on the market. I think a lot of the whole issue of natural and organic skin and hair products is all about marketing. I know people who used only these natural and organic products who have died and come down with cancer so I guess what I am saying is that use what works for you and not because of any unproven fears.

thanks for your post and @ the bolded I honestly agree with you! I also believe that our diet is just as important. I also focus more on natural products for my skin rather than my hair.

ETA: helpful link regarding labels: http://www.burtsbees.com/webapp/wcs...=1078&storeId=10001&catalogId=10051&langId=-1

Last edited:

eshille

To the first bold part...the one thing I've realized on my journey from full chem usage to little to no chem and around again is that my hair needed to detox.
Simply using this category of products does not detox the hair. Over the course of my journey I've watched products not work begin to work effectively. I
think a lot of people don't realize how long it takes to detox nor the proper detox methods to use.

You are correct about ingredients which may be not be good for some to use, that's why it's important to be an informed consumer and not blindly leap into an
area, introduce new approaches into one's experience with little or no exploration nor detailed research.

Regarding people who used natural products and died of cancer...the air we breathe, water we drink and food we eat are all filled with toxic residue regardless of the precautions we may take...pollution from China travels to California...garbage/chemicals stored or buried in the ground affect our water supply and the soil from which
our food is grown, even organic products....so there really are a lot of factors which can be assessed as causal outside of simply using or not using natural/organic hair care/food products.

My intent is to limit the amount of chemicals entering into my experience. I have certainly become increasingly uncomfortable with the idea of bathing my body, washing my hair and drinking from a faucet which releases chemicals into my home, then adding on top of that toxic soup more chemicals in the personal care products that I use....that's the ONE area I have the most immediate and direct control.

I will still exist within this toxic soup but I intend to provide my 'bubble of biology' the most natural processes I can find....that's my path.:yep:

Sui Topi

To the first bold part...the one thing I've realized on my journey from full chem usage to little to no chem and around again is that my hair needed to detox.
Simply using this category of products does not detox the hair. Over the course of my journey I've watched products not work begin to work effectively. I
think a lot of people don't realize how long it takes to detox nor the proper detox methods to use.

You are correct about ingredients which may be not be good for some to use, that's why it's important to be an informed consumer and not blindly leap into an
area, introduce new approaches into one's experience with little or no exploration nor detailed research.

Regarding people who used natural products and died of cancer...the air we breathe, water we drink and food we eat are all filled with toxic residue regardless of the precautions we may take...pollution from China travels to California...garbage/chemicals stored or buried in the ground affect our water supply and the soil from which
our food is grown, even organic products....so there really are a lot of factors which can be assessed as causal outside of simply using or not using natural/organic hair care/food products.

My intent is to limit the amount of chemicals entering into my experience. I have certainly become increasingly uncomfortable with the idea of bathing my body, washing my hair and drinking from a faucet which releases chemicals into my home, then adding on top of that toxic soup more chemicals in the personal care products that I use....that's the ONE area I have the most immediate and direct control.

I will still exist within this toxic soup but I intend to provide my 'bubble of biology' the most natural processes I can find....that's my path.:yep:

That's exactly how I feel. Whatever I can change, I'm changing.

lonei

I have been using Giovanni for over 1 year and I have seen a remarkerable improvement!

stargazer613

I love Aubrey Organics Conditioners
Karen's Body Beautiful Hair Milk
Oyin's Honey Hemp Con
Avalon Organics Peppermint Shampoo
Trader Joe's Conditioners
Elucence MB Con (but I don't think it's entirely natural?)
Qhemet Biologics Moisturizers

eshille

I love Aubrey Organics Conditioners
Karen's Body Beautiful Hair Milk
Oyin's Honey Hemp Con
Avalon Organics Peppermint Shampoo
Trader Joe's Conditioners
Elucence MB Con (but I don't think it's entirely natural?)
Qhemet Biologics Moisturizers

I just ordered a sample pk from Karen's which has hair milk in it.

Hope I like this and all her other products, ingredients listed on the web site look really good.

Glad to see some of her products used by a lot of ladies here...now... I just hope she does not go the way of Carol's Daughter....:ohwell:

starfish

This is a great thread! I started using Lush hair care products about 2 months ago and I was determined not to like it. I got a perm about 4 weeks ago and my stylist said my hair is the healthiest he's ever seen it! It's extremely soft and doesn't shed or break.

At first my hair felt hard because I was used to all the chemicals that made my hair slippery. The more I used the products, the better and healthier my hair became. It feels thick and strong.

I use Aubrey Swimmer's shampoo about once a week because I swim and workout and sweat in my head. I use the swimmer's conditioner or Lush's Retread to co-wash daily. I usually wash with Lush Curly Wurly shampoo.

I never would have believed that organic hair products make that much of a difference, but even when I put my old deep conditioner on and sit under the dyrer, it doesn't do it for me anymore.

eshille

This is a great thread! I started using Lush hair care products about 2 months ago and I was determined not to like it. I got a perm about 4 weeks ago and my stylist said my hair is the healthiest he's ever seen it! It's extremely soft and doesn't shed or break.

At first my hair felt hard because I was used to all the chemicals that made my hair slippery. The more I used the products, the better and healthier my hair became. It feels thick and strong.

I use Aubrey Swimmer's shampoo about once a week because I swim and workout and sweat in my head. I use the swimmer's conditioner or Lush's Retread to co-wash daily. I usually wash with Lush Curly Wurly shampoo.

I never would have believed that organic hair products make that much of a difference, but even when I put my old deep conditioner on and sit under the dyrer, it doesn't do it for me anymore.

:happydance:...thanks so much for the review....congrats on your success....off to look at the Lush line~~~~~~~~~~:auto: