Natural Product Hair Care Regimens

Cichelle

How many people here have switched over to using natural and/or organic hair products? If you have or you are working on it, I thought we could post our regimens. Here's mine so far. I'm giving this a couple of months to see how it goes. I've made a commitment to natural/organic products, however I'll try different ones until I find what works.

I am using almost all AO products because I'm sick of buying things that claim to be organic or natural and they turn out to be toxic. I can find AO easily and I trust this company.

For clarifying I am using Calaguala Fern Treatment Shampoo. I know AO has a green tea clarifying shampoo, but I decided to try this one instead. It clarifies really well. Moisturizer afterwards is a necessity.

For my daily cowashes I am using White Camillia Ultra-Smoothing Conditioner. I am very used to the cones that give such great slip. So this is an adjustment for me. It just gives a different feeling. But the AO conditioners for dry hair that I have tried are very thick/creamy. I am liking the results so far, but I need to give this time to see if it will ultimately work for me.

For my weekly light protein treatment, I am using GPB, applying on dry hair. This is a keeper, for sure.

For my weekly moisturizing conditioning treatments I am using Honeysuckle Rose Moisturizing Conditioner, applying on dry hair. The jury is out on this one.

For my leave-in I am using Giovanni Direct Leave In. This is a keeper. Just as good as Aveda Elixir, without the diazolidinyl urea.

For a moisturizer I use avocado butter. I want to try hemp seed butter as well. I recently tried unrefined shea butter, but didn't like it so much. I don't know why. I also made a homemade spray with distilled water/glycerine/a bit of AO conditioner. I like this a lot. If I need extra help, I use a tiny bit of pure glycerine where needed.

That's about it for now. I would love to see what other people are using and how it is working!

MeccaMedinah

I am working on finding an all natural conditioner (for me & my daughter) that gives me great slip & moisture.
My current regimen is:
shampoo once monthly w/ diluted Dr. Bronners 18 in 1 castile soap
clarify 1-2x/week w/ V05 Kiw & Lime conditioner (has carcinogens)
Conditioner wash w/ Herbal Essences Fruit Fusion(carcinogenic as well)
Then I twist up w/ raw shea butter, or raw shea mixed with Aloe vera gel

So I am almost @ 100% but I've just gotta find the right conditioner & deep conditioner ;)

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
My current regime:
1. Shampoo with ElastaQP Creme Conditioning Shampoo 2-4 times a month
2. Daily (or as needed) conditioner washes with Herbal Essence Fruit Frusions Hydrating Conditioner
3. Moisturize with water and jojoba oil
4. May use Citre Shine Gel occassionally for shine & to tame frizzies

All the products I use have harmful ingredients in it. Does anyone know if Lanolin is toxic? It's an ingredient in my jojoba oil.

I would like a 100% natural shampoo. I'm still on the fence about whether I should continue conditioning my hair or not, I don't see the need to condition for some reason. I'm thinking about using 100% pure amla oil as the only oil to use on my hair/scalp. I would like to use pure glycerin as a daily moisturizer.

Last edited:

sugaplum

Star Shooter
I plan on ordering black soap from naasb.com. So I plan on using this for not just my hair but the whole body.

Currently I use:
Conditioner: A mixture of honey, EVOO, & VO5 Nourshing Oasis (I use all of them)

Shampoo: A mixuture of Creme of Nature shampoo mixed with vegetable oil and water. It's almost like the COW method. :yep:

Moisturizer: I also plan on ordering shea butter from nassb.com as well. :yep:

Currently I use:
Hollywood's Carrot Creme
Kemi Oyl
All Ways Indian Hemp grease

MeccaMedinah

Poohbear said:
My current regime:
1. Shampoo with ElastaQP Creme Conditioning Shampoo 2-4 times a month
2. Daily (or as needed) conditioner washes with Herbal Essence Fruit Frusions Hydrating Conditioner
3. Moisturize with water and jojoba oil
4. May use Citre Shine Gel occassionally for shine & to tame frizzies

All the products I use have harmful ingredients in it. Does anyone know if Lanolin is toxic? It's an ingredient in my jojoba oil.

I would like a 100% natural shampoo. I'm still on the fence about whether I should continue conditioning my hair or not, I don't see the need to condition for some reason. I'm thinking about using 100% pure amla oil as the only oil to use on my hair/scalp. I would like to use pure glycerin as a daily moisturizer.

Pooh, I did a quick search and I read that Lanolin is safe. I used it when I was pregnant and breast feeding, I never had a reaction & La Leche League supports it. HTH :)

Browndilocks

Browndisha Brownie Sundae
I have DRAMATICALLY reduced my inventory and here's why:

1 - I was a HUGE, HUGE PJ. I was spending at least $50 every time I visited the BSS which was about once every 10 days.

2 - Nay has inspired me to take both the natural and junk-free plunge.

I have been using A/O White Cameilla & Honeysuckle Rose poo and conditioner exclusively with raw shea butter as a moisturizer. That's it! It's been one month and KEWL. The products I've gotten rid of were nice and I was a little scared at first but so far so good. I'm believing that less is more. My hair is pretty happy.

reformatio

Revenge of the Sith
- I conditioner wash with Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose or GPB
- I use Qhemet Biologics Olive & Honey Hydrating Balm as my moisturizer.

These are the major products in my regimen. I am still experimenting with products and methods. I'll soon be integrating Amla oil and some other Qhemet products into my regimen.

Poohbear

MeccaMedinah said:
Pooh, I did a quick search and I read that Lanolin is safe. I used it when I was pregnant and breast feeding, I never had a reaction & La Leche League supports it. HTH :)
Thanks MeccaMedinah!!! :kiss:

Poohbear

Hey sugaplum,
I visited www.nasabb.com yesterday and would like to use the black soap (to wash my hair and body) and the shea butter (to moisturize my hair). Once I start making big money, I will invest in these goodies!!! :) Or better yet, I may get my mom to buy these for me if she's willing to! :grin: I wish their products came in bigger sizes for the price, but quality is always best! ;)
sugaplum said:
I plan on ordering black soap from naasb.com. So I plan on using this for not just my hair but the whole body.

Currently I use:
Conditioner: A mixture of honey, EVOO, & VO5 Nourshing Oasis (I use all of them)

Shampoo: A mixuture of Creme of Nature shampoo mixed with vegetable oil and water. It's almost like the COW method. :yep:

Moisturizer: I also plan on ordering shea butter from nassb.com as well. :yep:

Currently I use:
Hollywood's Carrot Creme
Kemi Oyl
All Ways Indian Hemp grease

sugaplum

Star Shooter
Poohbear said:
Hey sugaplum,
I visited www.nasabb.com yesterday and would like to use the black soap (to wash my hair and body) and the shea butter (to moisturize my hair). Once I start making big money, I will invest in these goodies!!! :) Or better yet, I may get my mom to buy these for me if she's willing to! :grin: I wish their products came in bigger sizes for the price, but quality is always best! ;)

I hear you. :grin:

I just wanted to give natural products a try and see how well my hair responds to them becuase I notice that my natural hair benefits from honey, EVOO, distilled water, coconut oil, etc.

A_Christian

I'm still getting rid of most of my products that contain parabens but keeping KeraCare Humecto in my stash until I can find a paraben free conditioner with just as much slip. I also still go to my stylist and I'm sure most of the products most stylists use have parabens and other harmful ingredients but I do use a lot of natural products when I take care of my hair myself. My complete regimen is as follows:

-Get a relaxer/texturizer by my stylist no more than every 18 weeks (trying to lessen the amount of times per year that my scalp is exposed to relaxer chemicals)

-Get hair done by stylist 1 to 2 weeks later (most products probably contain some type of paraben unfortunately, I'll have to check ingredients the next time I go)

-Get my hair done up to 6 weeks post relaxer then start doing my hair myself

-Beginning at the 6th week use a shampoo that makes my scalp tingle to promote growth (I'm looking for my staple shampoo for this purpose & it must not contain any form of paraben, so far I've purchased Paul Mitchell Tea Tree Special Shampoo, Dr. Bronners Peppermint Castille Soap (an all natural product), & Fantasia IC 100% Pure Tea Shampoo.

-Deep Condition with a protein conditioner after every wash, now looking for paraben free protein conditioners

-Condition with Humecto after the protein conditioner, it has propylparaben & methylparaben, I'm very displeased with that, this conditioner works so well for me and it has so many natural ingredients in it, I'm sure there are other preservatives which could be included in the formula.

-Spray Asha's "Roots" Scalp Stimulating Serum (an all natural product) into my scalp & massage for 5 minutes a few days after shampooing to stimulate growth

-Massage a mixture of Peppermint Oil, Rosemary EO, Ylang Ylang, & Lavendar Oils into my scalp at night once or twice a week to promote hair growth (all of the oils are 100% natural)

-Moisturize ends with Asha's Heavenly Hair Pudding (an all natural product) every 3 days

-Apply Aubrey Organics GPB (another all natural product) to ends at night once or twice a week to strengthen them with the protein (I do this when I'm 9 or more weeks post relaxer)

-I also use some Myhoneychild products sometimes (The whole product line is all natural as well as Asha'a entire product line is all natural)

-Once I've tried all of Asha's products & most of Myhoneychild products I will probably have only natural products with the exception of Humecto (It may take a while to find an all natural conditioner with slip)

Last edited:

sassyhair

has anyone used the stuff on naturallycurly.com, they have alot of products with natural ingredients with some good prices.

LynnieB

my sweet almond carrier oil was getting low so decided to stop in my fav organic health food store today.....

just cruising the ailse sniffing the different EO's, etc. and noticed some castille soap down on the bottom shelf....

on a whim and out of curiosity i picked up a small bottle of dr.bonner's hemp/peppermint castille soap...(yeesh, how was i supposed to be able to read all that tiny writing they put on the bottle :D)

AND

a bottle of aubrey organics honeysuckle rose conditioner

AND

2 bars of aubrey organics honeysuckle and rose bar soap

AND

a bottle of honeysuckle perfum oil.

just finished washing and conditioning my hair with that combo and OMGosh.....my hair LOVES the castille soap and the conditioner.

the soap did not dry out my hair at all and the mint was so refreshing.

the condish!: i can't begin to describe how silky and moist both textures of my hair feels and the scent is just soooooooooo incredibly intoxicating.

i swear, i never would have thought i'd buy a 11 oz bottle of hair conditioner for $10+tax but it is entirely worth it. i've never felt a conditioner quite like this both while applying it and after rinsing it out. can't wait to take out my braids to see if that lush feeling lasts with a braidout (oh man, i hope i'm setting myself up for a huge disappointed).

ladies thanx for mentioning Aubrey Organics....this stuff is the BOMB (gonna have to put my hello hydration on the back shelf for now).

p.s. can't wait to try the soaps and, i totally forgot all about buying my carrier oil!

Cheleigh

LynnieB said:
the condish!: i can't begin to describe how silky and moist both textures of my hair feels and the scent is just soooooooooo incredibly intoxicating.

i swear, i never would have thought i'd buy a 11 oz bottle of hair conditioner for $10+tax but it is entirely worth it. i've never felt a conditioner quite like this both while applying it and after rinsing it out. can't wait to take out my braids to see if that lush feeling lasts with a braidout (oh man, i hope i'm setting myself up for a huge disappointed).

ladies thanx for mentioning Aubrey Organics....this stuff is the BOMB (gonna have to put my hello hydration on the back shelf for now).

I'm cone free, so I can't use hello hydration anyway, but the AO Honeysuckle Rose Conditioner is one of my HG conditioners--I really like it, and I love it when I mixed it with AO Island Naturals, Regis Olive Oil condish and a little honey. It's like a daily deep condition for my hair.

LynnieB

Cheleigh said:
I'm cone free, so I can't use hello hydration anyway, but the AO Honeysuckle Rose Conditioner is one of my HG conditioners--I really like it, and I love it when I mixed it with AO Island Naturals, Regis Olive Oil condish and a little honey. It's like a daily deep condition for my hair.

thanx for that recommendation Cheleigh....now i won't hestitate to try the other products!

does your hair keep that nice moist/conditioned feeling after it dries?

i'm so hyped about these products it's scary heh.

ack...just saw my typo - glad you know what i meant when i said i don't want to be disappointed ;)

brownsugarflyygirl

I am working on getting my regiment to be 100% natural, but now its just mostly natural. I will experiment with some all natural shampoos later...right now that would lead to PJism. I am trying to get consistent with my products that I have first and then explore later.

Shampoo: Elucence Shampoos (grrr...they need to switch to a natural preservative)
Deep Condition: EVOO, JB Castor Oil, Aubrey GPB, Giovanni 50:50 Mix
Leave In: Giovanni Direct Leave-In, Qhemets Olive Detangler
Styling Products: Carols Daughter Mimosa Hair Honey, Qhemets Heavy Cream
Other: Jojoba Oil, Castor Oil, Distilled Water, ACV, Lenzi’s Request (replacing with Qhemet Biologics Herbs & Sulfur Medicinal Scalp Pomade)

I plan to add Aveda DR set to my regimen in January when I start using heat....

brownsugarflyygirl

Cichelle said:
For my leave-in I am using Giovanni Direct Leave In. This is a keeper. Just as good as Aveda Elixir, without the diazolidinyl urea.

I had a looooong talk with a guy who had been with the Aveda company for over 25 years and he explained to me that many times they have to list a certain ingredient with a standard FDA name even though the actual ingredient that they use is VERY different in its source..for Aveda that usually means plant derived when the others are synthetic. The classifcation system is just the FDA rules. :ohwell: He explained to me that the current CEO is like a natural ingredient nazi and is extremely anal about their product content....even taking products off the market b/c of one ingredient until it could be replaced

But anyways...I say that to say...if you really love an Aveda product....I would call their helpline and ask them about it. They can tell you exactly where and ingredient its sourced...just because it is listed as something usually considered harmful doesnt mean that the actual content is - it may still be natural....just FYI ;)

Cichelle

brownsugarflyygirl said:
I had a looooong talk with a guy who had been with the Aveda company for over 25 years and he explained to me that many times they have to list a certain ingredient with a standard FDA name even though the actual ingredient that they use is VERY different in its source..for Aveda that usually means plant derived when the others are synthetic. The classifcation system is just the FDA rules. :ohwell: He explained to me that the current CEO is like a natural ingredient nazi and is extremely anal about their product content....even taking products off the market b/c of one ingredient until it could be replaced

But anyways...I say that to say...if you really love an Aveda product....I would call their helpline and ask them about it. They can tell you exactly where and ingredient its sourced...just because it is listed as something usually considered harmful doesnt mean that the actual content is - it may still be natural....just FYI ;)

Thank you for the info. It's good for people to know the various ways to find out what's in the products they use.

I started this thread over a year ago and, at this point, I don't even use Giovanni Direct Leave In anymore, except as a substitute for petroleum jelly to cover the skin around my hairline when I use henna. :) At the present time, Aveda does not fit my needs for a variety of reasons, but I did like some of their products when I used them.

It's interesting to see this thread and to read what I was using last year. As I mentioned, I don't use Giovanni products anymore, but I am still using AO Honeysuckle Rose conditioner, WC and Calaguala Fern intermittently. Through it all, I have come back again and again to AO. Not all of his products work for me, but the ones that do, really do. :)

Last edited: