Natural Style Experiment #26472: The French Roll

kblc06

I've always adored this style but was never able to duplicate like my mother can ...even when I had straight hair. But last night I was feeling adventurous and ATTEMPTED it..on my natural hair :blush: It turned out pretty nice but I need more practice to make it smoother

003-vi.jpg
002-vi.jpg
005-vi.jpg
004-vi.jpg

Instructions:
-to create a support anchor (on which to wrap the hair around..much like that of a sock bun), I cut the foot off a piece of hoisery and stuffed it with the rest of the stocking and possibly a sock to create an oblong shape. They may even sell the shapers at a place like Claire's or Big lots but I'm fairly certain I've seen them.

- I washed & conditioned my hair..(my mom who is the queen of the french roll said that it's best to do it on dry hair but it's difficult for me to manipulate my natural hair in its dry state). I parted a piece off to the side and combed my hair back. After this step I smooth the hair in place almost like you would when inserting a banana clip with some hair gel.

-I then took the anchor/shaper and began folding the top part of my hair over and gently combed until it was smooth and no part of the shaper was visible. I then proceeded to work my way down until I got to the nape. It is very important that you pin the shaper in place as you smooth the hair downwards...this will free up your hands and allow to smooth & comb as you go.

-After the anchor was secure I used my mirror and hands to fill in any remaining visible spaces and pinned as needed.

Hope this helps :grin: There are more pics in my fotki

Last edited:

LadyD

I love it! I think it looks great now like it is. I could never get my hair to lay that flat. I would have an afro with a roll in the middle.

kblc06

I love it! I think it looks great now like it is. I could never get my hair to lay that flat. I would have an afro with a roll in the middle.

You should try..I got the idea to do one from Sera (who has immensely thick natural wsl 4b hair). She did sort of a french roll/twist in her album. I bet it'd be pretty :yep:

magviv

I've always adored this style but was never able to duplicate like my mother can ...even when I had straight hair. But last night I was feeling adventurous and ATTEMPTED it..on my natural hair :blush: It turned out pretty nice but I need more practice to make it smoother

View attachment 16809
View attachment 16811
View attachment 16813
View attachment 16819

Instructions:
-to create a support anchor (on which to wrap the hair around..much like that of a sock bun), I cut the foot off a piece of hoisery and stuffed it with the rest of the stocking and possibly a sock to create an oblong shape. They may even sell the shapers at a place like Claire's or Big lots but I'm fairly certain I've seen them.

- I washed & conditioned my hair..(my mom who is the queen of the french roll said that it's best to do it on dry hair but it's difficult for me to manipulate my natural hair in its dry state). I parted a piece off to the side and combed my hair back. After this step I smooth the hair in place almost like you would when inserting a banana clip with some hair gel.

-I then took the anchor/shaper and began folding the top part of my hair over and gently combed until it was smooth and no part of the shaper was visible. I then proceeded to work my way down until I got to the nape. It is very important that you pin the shaper in place as you smooth the hair downwards...this will free up your hands and allow to smooth & comb as you go.

-After the anchor was secure I used my mirror and hands to fill in any remaining visible spaces and pinned as needed.

Hope this helps :grin: There are more pics in my fotki

This is a cool idea and your style looks great. I hope you post a tutorial on creating the shaper.

Sweet_Ambrosia

Your french roll looks good. :up:
I use a banana clip to anchor/shape my french rolls, bobby pins alone just wouldn’t cut it with my hair.

kblc06

Your french roll looks good. :up:
I use a banana clip to anchor/shape my french rolls, bobby pins alone just wouldn’t cut it with my hair.

You know this is what I started to use and just shape the roll using my own hair, but I didn't want the clip to be visible and didn't think it would turn out right, but I might try it this way-it may be easier