Natural Support Thread

turnergirl

SSBD said:
Okay i am so BORED with my twa right now...i like to change styles a lot and it is hard keeping my hair like this...i can't get braids for another 2 1/2 weeks and i am going crazy...i don't know what to do....I can't take this anymore!!!!

Sorry i had to vent...

You should look at some fotki accouts. There are lots of women on my friends list with TWA's that do it up big time. One in particular has the most creative styles. Her name is nappturallydivine. You can do a search for her on the website. Trust me you will not regret it.

bLackButtaFly

Turnergirl, you're hair is fiyah! Fabulous! * heading off to your fotki to check out how you keep that wash and go for three days* :look:

ceedeelight

What do you think? Great idea!

Hair type? 3C/4A

Current hair length? Past collarbone when stretched

Goal hair length? Brastrap

Time since bc? have not BC.

How long did you transition, or did you? Still Transitioning, It's been 1 year

Biggest hair challenge? Styles & two different textures.

Stand-by products? Motions Conditioner & curly buttercream

Stand-by hair style(and short tutorial if it has not been explained. I think this is crucial because alot of the natural ladies don't know the wealth of styles they can do themselves)? Phony ponies

Do you have a picture(also very helpful)? Not yet.

Do you ever want to go back to relaxed? Some days I do and Most days I don't. I think it's b/c I'm dealing with 2 textures. I want it longer before I cut of the relaxer.

Best hair compliment? Your waves are pretty.

Blackberry7

Hi ladies,
Here's mine.

Hair type?
4b? (That's the closest but I don't think I really fit into any of the categories)

Current hair length?
6" loc'd. Maybe 10-11" if it was loose?

Goal hair length?
Bra strap length locs

Time since bc?
Since August 2001

How long did you transition, or did you?
I think it was about 5-6 months.

Biggest hair challenge?
Moisture. Finding good shampoo and conditioner.

Stand-by products?
Aveda shampure, Aveda Sap Moss

Stand-by hair style(and short tutorial if it has not been explained. I think this is crucial because alot of the natural ladies don't know the wealth of styles they can do themselves)?
I don't do much styling right now. When I get more length I'll prolly get more into it.

Do you have a picture(also very helpful)?
A few see my blog.

Do you ever want to go back to relaxed?
No

Best hair compliment?
I appreciate all compliments. :)

MeccaMedinah

Hair type? 4A

Current hair length? Approaching armpit

Goal hair length? Mid-Back

Time since bc? No BC

How long did you transition, or did you? I transitioned for about 15 months

Biggest hair challenge? Getting to know my hair- i.e. what products made it look dry, adding products together to get the right amount of shine & softness, no shampooing

Stand-by products? Herbal Essence conditioners

Stand-by hair style(and short tutorial if it has not been explained. I think this is crucial because alot of the natural ladies don't know the wealth of styles they can do themselves)? Twistout- twist hair with butters & oils at night then untwist in the morning

Do you have a picture(also very helpful)? Yes- see my siggy

Do you ever want to go back to relaxed? I've considered it, but I don't want straight hair permanently. I will use my MaxiGlide at some point- but I prefer to stay chemical free.

Best hair compliment? When people ask me how I created a style or ask for hair advice I take these as compliments.

LovetheLord

yellagirl730 said:
Hi, Lovethelord, I am natural, have been since 7/05. Currently wearing my hair in a twistout with the occasional press. I live in Texarkana which is not far from you, but anyway just wanted to say hello to someone in a natural state of mind so close.

What's up yellagirl glad to know someone else is thinking outside of the norm in the Ark-LA-Tex too!!!

turnergirl

bLackButtaFly said:
Turnergirl, you're hair is fiyah! Fabulous! * heading off to your fotki to check out how you keep that wash and go for three days* :look:

Thanks blackButtaFly!!! The answer is not in there but I should take some pictures of how I do that. I have found it even easier to make the wash n' go last when I use cantu leave in. It gives my hair a great deal of hold and I am able to sleep on the curls without crushing them for 3 days. I love it.

SEMO

turnergirl said:
Thanks blackButtaFly!!! The answer is not in there but I should take some pictures of how I do that. I have found it even easier to make the wash n' go last when I use cantu leave in. It gives my hair a great deal of hold and I am able to sleep on the curls without crushing them for 3 days. I love it.

I would love to see this a well. I rarely wear wash-n-go's b/c the style only lasts me one day before I have to put it in a ponytail or wash it.

PinkSkates

Hair type? 4A

Current hair length? Brastrap

Goal hair length? waist or tailbone

Time since bc? No BC. broke all off from improper relaxer hair care

How long did you transition, or did you? did not

Biggest hair challenge? finding out which products my hair likes

Stand-by products? Aveda DR line

Stand-by hair style(and short tutorial if it has not been explained. I think this is crucial because alot of the natural ladies don't know the wealth of styles they can do themselves)? Ponytail with bangs off to the side

Do you have a picture(also very helpful)? Yes- in my siggy

Do you ever want to go back to relaxed? Never!!! Hair suicide for me.

Best hair compliment? "Excuse me, but is your hair a weave?"

Evolving78

Hair type? 4a

Current hair length? 0.5 inches

Goal hair length? brastrap

Time since bc? two months ago

How long did you transition, or did you? I didn't

Biggest hair challenge? nothing as of now

Stand-by products? fantasia gel (blue)

Stand-by hair style(and short tutorial if it has not been explained. I think this is crucial because alot of the natural ladies don't know the wealth of styles they can do themselves)? curly twa, make sure you get a lining so it will look neat!

Do you have a picture(also very helpful)? I will put some in my fotki asap!

Do you ever want to go back to relaxed? noway. You have to go through too much with a relaxer. I wouldn't work out, go swimming, afraid of the rain, tryin not to mess up or sweat out my head doin the "grown folks thing"! (Ha,HA!)

Best hair compliment? do you have a texturizer?

nappi

my hair type is 4a/b i believe or just plain NAPPY

its around shoulder length and has stayed that length 4 a while now

ive been natural for sumthin' like 3 yrs ...really cant remember

i usually rock braids/weave

i dont have a pic of mine own real hair ...but ill take one next time i take my hair down

the products i use are dove mist/and the conditioner

sometime ill switch up n use s curl as a moisturizer

meaganita

Hair type? 4a w/4b kitchen

Current hair length? BSL

Goal hair length? Full WL

Time since bc? 5+ Years (7 inch BC)

How long did you transition, or did you? 2 years (gradually clipped)

Biggest hair challenge? Keeping it on my head;)

Stand-by products? Mane & Tail Moisterizing Shampoo & Cond.

Stand-by hair style(and short tutorial if it has not been explained. I think this is crucial because alot of the natural ladies don't know the wealth of styles they can do themselves)? Braidouts & Wigs (until goal met)

Do you have a picture(also very helpful)? Yes, in my Fotki

Do you ever want to go back to relaxed? Never again!:nono:
My hair hates relaxers~

Best hair compliment? My ex-boyfriend told me, "It's like you got a Bently but keep a Lexus emblem on it!" (Talking about my hair vs. the weave. BTW- He drove a Bently & I drive a Lexus, so he was complimenting me and cracking on my car at the same time!)
~R.I.P. J~ :angel:

Last edited:

PhonyBaloney500

Hair type? 70% 4a, 20%3c, 10%4z lol.

Current hair length? An inch past armpit? Is it almost Bra strap? We'll see soon.

Goal hair length? Not sure...I want to see how long I get.

Time since bc? Never did.

How long did you transition, or did you? I was young so who knows. It just broke off and there it was.

Biggest hair challenge? Dandruff! And dryness sometimes.

Stand-by products? Castor oil, Oyin whipped pudding, Kinky Curly Curling Custard (for now), Elucence conditioner (until I run out) or Jessicurl Too Shea conditioner.

Stand-by hair style(and short tutorial if it has not been explained. I think this is crucial because alot of the natural ladies don't know the wealth of styles they can do themselves)? Wash and go. I put it up with a butterfly clip and that helps stretch it a bit.

Do you have a picture(also very helpful)? Not many but see album.

Do you ever want to go back to relaxed? Hell no.

Best hair compliment? Lots of people have said I have great hair which is cool.

Mystic

bmoreflyygirl said:
Oh okay... Hey I was looking at that same wig on hairsisters a while back! Did you buy it? I was scared to bc I didn't know how it was gonna look.

I bought a different one - even shorter - from hairsisters. I love it! It looks so natural.

Blackberry7

pinkskates said:

Best hair compliment? "Excuse me, but is your hair a weave?"

So many ppl seem to get upset when ppl ask that. I don't get why someone would be upset. Isn't it a high compliment when ppl think what you have is so good it can't be real?? Well I think so. :)

CurleeDST

In the end I think it is a compliment. I don't worry much about it. If someone comes up and asks me about my hair and if it is mine - I have no problem answering honestly.

Blackberry7 said:
So many ppl seem to get upset when ppl ask that. I don't get why someone would be upset. Isn't it a high compliment when ppl think what you have is so good it can't be real?? Well I think so. :)

naturallyme

Hair type? 4b

Current hair length? close to armpit

Goal hair length? bsl

Time since bc? i never bc.

How long did you transition, or did you? i have on and off. i really can't remember probably like for a year. i had 3 home made relaxers before and a jeri curl.

Biggest hair challenge? dealing with tangles when my hair was tangled especially the front.

Stand-by products? vo5 moisture milks conditioners, bb oil moisturizer hair lotion, scurl, and shea butter.

Stand-by hair style(and short tutorial if it has not been explained. I think this is crucial because alot of the natural ladies don't know the wealth of styles they can do themselves)? afro puffs, twists, and buns.

Do you have a picture(also very helpful)? link to my hair album is in my signature.

Do you ever want to go back to relaxed? hell naw

Best hair compliment? i really don't be getting compliments about my hair since it has been natural.

meecee

Hair type? 4A in the front 4B in the back

Current hair length? Shoulder to APL

Goal hair length? BSL

Time since bc? 1st one in 2001, 2nd in 2005

How long did you transition, or did you? The first time I transitioned for 8 months, the second time i had locs.

Biggest hair challenge? Tangles and dryness

Stand-by products? ORS mayo and Textures and Tones shampoo and conditioner.

Stand-by hair style? Twists done on dry hair (shows more length this way)

Do you have a picture? See avatar

Do you ever want to go back to relaxed? Maybe one day, but not anytime soon.

Best hair compliment? I had my hair in small twists, with about 3 years of growth and this girl at the beauty supply store asked my where I bought my hair. My hair was dark brown with lighter brown on the ends from dye that I was growing out. Must have looked good, lol. :grin:

Let's start with that.[/quote]

yellagirl730

meecee said:
Hair type? 4A in the front 4B in the back

Current hair length? Shoulder to APL

Goal hair length? BSL

Time since bc? 1st one in 2001, 2nd in 2005

How long did you transition, or did you? The first time I transitioned for 8 months, the second time i had locs.

Biggest hair challenge? Tangles and dryness

Stand-by products? ORS mayo and Textures and Tones shampoo and conditioner.

Stand-by hair style? Twists done on dry hair (shows more length this way)

Do you have a picture? See avatar

Do you ever want to go back to relaxed? Maybe one day, but not anytime soon.

Best hair compliment? I had my hair in small twists, with about 3 years of growth and this girl at the beauty supply store asked my where I bought my hair. My hair was dark brown with lighter brown on the ends from dye that I was growing out. Must have looked good, lol. :grin:

Let's start with that.
[/quote]

I currently wear my hair in twists but I do them on wet hair, I can't imagine doing them on dry hair as I have so much shrinkage, or do you blowdry 1st then twist. Any feedback would be appreciated.

bLackButtaFly

I currently wear my hair in twists but I do them on wet hair, I can't imagine doing them on dry hair as I have so much shrinkage, or do you blowdry 1st then twist. Any feedback would be appreciated.[/quote]

Usually I do my twists that I'm going to be wearing for a minute or when I want the twistout with as much length as possible on dry hair. I either band or bun my wet hair overnight. Then I'm left with clean stretched hair and then I put in the twists using a good moisturzer and sealing w/ castor oil.

meecee

hey yellagirl :)

I wash, condition, and detangle first. Then I let my hair air dry in several braids or just 2 big ones. When my hair is at least 70% dry I'll start twisting. The set of twists I'm wearing now I let my hair dry overnight and twisted the next day. Doing it this way shows just as much length without the damaging and time consuming effects of blow drying. I honestly cant tell you the last time I blow dried my hair...too much work.

yellagirl730

bLackButtaFly said:
I currently wear my hair in twists but I do them on wet hair, I can't imagine doing them on dry hair as I have so much shrinkage, or do you blowdry 1st then twist. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Usually I do my twists that I'm going to be wearing for a minute or when I want the twistout with as much length as possible on dry hair. I either band or bun my wet hair overnight. Then I'm left with clean stretched hair and then I put in the twists using a good moisturzer and sealing w/ castor oil.[/quote]

Now when you say band or bun, what exactly is that, I would like to twist my hair on stretched out hair as I have alot of shrinkage.

angellazette

How are you ladies maintaining your twists at night? I usually just tie up all my twists into a scarf but then I wake up with straggly twists so I usually rinse my hair to get them to fall into place and plump up. Only problem with this is it causes my twists to frizz fairly quickly and while I don't mind the frizz that much, I'd like to know other alternatives!

CurleeDST

You can try and spritz.

angellazette said:
How are you ladies maintaining your twists at night? I usually just tie up all my twists into a scarf but then I wake up with straggly twists so I usually rinse my hair to get them to fall into place and plump up. Only problem with this is it causes my twists to frizz fairly quickly and while I don't mind the frizz that much, I'd like to know other alternatives!

bLackButtaFly

yellagirl730 said:
Usually I do my twists that I'm going to be wearing for a minute or when I want the twistout with as much length as possible on dry hair. I either band or bun my wet hair overnight. Then I'm left with clean stretched hair and then I put in the twists using a good moisturzer and sealing w/ castor oil.

Now when you say band or bun, what exactly is that, I would like to twist my hair on stretched out hair as I have alot of shrinkage.[/quote]

If I'm banded then I put my hair in two ponytails, and thenon each of them add more ponytails down the length of the hair. So on each ponytail there might be 3-5 bands(ponytail holders) about an inch apart down the length of the hair. And you can make more or less ponytails depending ont he length of your hair. Some women who don't use heat use this method to straighten and stretch hair. If I bun I do just two buns making sure to squeez out water and wrap hair tightly around the ponytail. That way your hair is stretched without the need for heat. I do that over night, and do twists in the morning. Note to self: make fotki demo of the process:ohwell:

GoldenBreeze

angellazette said:

I put my leave-in mix (leave-in, aloe vera, oil) on the ends of my twists, and pull them all back loosely into a pony tail holder. In the morning I remove my satin bonnet/scarf remover the ponytail holder and shake my head. That's it. My twists are moist and bouncy.

angellazette

GoldenBreeze said:
I put my leave-in mix (leave-in, aloe vera, oil) on the ends of my twists, and pull them all back loosely into a pony tail holder. In the morning I remove my satin bonnet/scarf remover the ponytail holder and shake my head. That's it. My twists are moist and bouncy.

I don't think I"d be able to do this. See once I put somethining on my head my twists are going to go in that direction so if I pull them back, when I take the holder out, my twists are still going to be pointing back! I'm going to use half of your idea (leave in mix) and use that with CurleeDST's suggestion and use it as a spritz in the morning.

FineChyna

Hair type? 3C

Current hair length? APL IN THE BACK AND THE SIDES AND FRONT ARE CLOSE TO IT

Goal hair length? BSL OR LONGER

Time since bc? NEVER DID THE BC

How long did you transition, or did you? I DID TRANSITION AND IT TOOK LIKE 2 1/2 YEARS OR SO

Biggest hair challenge? CONTROLING DRYNESS AND FIGURING OUT WHAT WORKS FOR MY HAIR AND WHAT DOESN'T

Stand-by products?
I USE THE SAME BASIC STUFF-JOICO SHAMPOO/CONDITIONER, CD'S HHB, HEAT PROTECTANT AND OIL

Stand-by hair style(and short tutorial if it has not been explained. I think this is crucial because alot of the natural ladies don't know the wealth of styles they can do themselves)? I ALWAYS WEAR MY HAIR PULLED BACK IN A PONYTAIL. RIGHT NOW I AM USING A PHONY PONY TO KEEP THE MOISTURE IN MY HAIR AND KEEP ME FROM HAVING TO DO MUCH WITH THE ENDS STYLE WISE

Do you have a picture(also very helpful)?
NO I HAVE THIS FEAR OF TAKING PICS OF MYSELF

Do you ever want to go back to relaxed?
NO BECAUSE MY HAIR KEPT BREAKING OFF

Best hair compliment?
PEOPLE SAY I HAVE PRETTY HAIR OR THAT MY HAIR IS LONG