Natural Support Thread

bLackButtaFly

After reading the thread on Nice and Wavy deciding to relax, I thought it would be nice to start a thread that supports those who are natural. Dealing with your own hair, is a continual challenge, and being natural presents its own set of difficulties. We can use this thread, to talk about our challenges with natural hair and how to solve them, also as a natural check-in, and just a thread where you can know you're not alone if you're dealing with natural Hair issues. There are other women out there who are going through the same thing. You are not alone!

Also keeping with the spirit of LHCF this is not a place of judgment, whether you decide to end your natural hair journey, or are trying to decide to begin one you can post here, and give and gain some insight.

What do you think?

I think we're gonna need some structure..

So how about some questions,

Hair type?

Current hair length?

Goal hair length?

Time since bc?

How long did you transition, or did you?

Biggest hair challenge?

Stand-by products?

Stand-by hair style(and short tutorial if it has not been explained. I think this is crucial because alot of the natural ladies don't know the wealth of styles they can do themselves)?

Do you have a picture(also very helpful)?

Do you ever want to go back to relaxed?

Best hair compliment?

Let's start with that.

Last edited:

frostydoll

This is a great idea. I've been natural for almost 2 years and I'm definitely feeling a little discouraged. I just posted in Nice and Wavy's thread that I've been thinking of texlaxing. I just want my curly hair to show more length.

hopeful

Yes, this is a great idea. Thank you. I just hit my one year natural mark and my hair is not long enough IMO to look cute in braids or twists (it looked cute when it was shorter though:ohwell:). It looks nice in a braid out or twist out or when I shampoo/condition, add some product, and pull back with a pretty scarf. But it's hard to gain length with too much manipulation. I've decided to keep it twisted, moisturize at night, and wear a wig during the day. I want shoulder-length twists and a long ponytail when it's pressed. I'm hoping I can get my wish by Spring '08.

hopeful

UMBlessedBeauty_1 said:
This is a great idea. I've been natural for almost 2 years and I'm definitely feeling a little discouraged. I just posted in Nice and Wavy's thread that I've been thinking of texlaxing. I just want my curly hair to show more length.

Me too! After I saw DSylla's ponytail in her siggy I felt so tempted. But I just hate relaxing and the touch ups. Plus I have never gotten to a decent length with a relaxer, it eventually always breaks off somewhere.

bLackButtaFly

hopeful said:
Yes, this is a great idea. Thank you. I just hit my one year natural mark and my hair is not long enough IMO to look cute in braids or twists (it looked cute when it was shorter though:ohwell:). It looks nice in a braid out or twist out or when I shampoo/condition, add some product, and pull back with a pretty scarf. But it's hard to gain length with too much manipulation. I've decided to keep it twisted, moisturize at night, and wear a wig during the day. I want shoulder-length twists and a long ponytail when it's pressed. I'm hoping I can get my wish by Spring '08.

That's the way I feel about my twists too. It's too short/long to look cute:grin:. One solution I've found is doing flat twists in the front so I can have a part, and then twisting the back. Kinda like a I'm on spring break look. When I do this on dry hair I get a slamming twist out the next day or whenever I take it out. BUt it'll grow, so don't be discouraged.

danimani

Awesome idea! I hope we can make this thread grow like the transitioning thread--it was a huge help before i BCd.

I'll ask the first question which seems to be a popular one...how do you make your curls pop/counteract shrinkage? I've learned that my curls are actually gorgeous--my conditioner really brings them out. If I could just find a way not to have it shrink so much...and so quickly....:perplexed

bLackButtaFly

danimani said:
Awesome idea! I hope we can make this thread grow like the transitioning thread--it was a huge help before i BCd.

I'll ask the first question which seems to be a popular one...how do you make your curls pop/counteract shrinkage? I've learned that my curls are actually gorgeous--my conditioner really brings them out. If I could just find a way not to have it shrink so much...and so quickly....:perplexed

I think the biggest thing with curls is what kind are you trying to get. For some they love big hair, w/ alittle definition, and other want the look of curly hair that is very well defined. For me I've come to terms that my kinky esq hair will probably never be defined like I would like it. But that using styles that it dries in no one will ever have to know:look:. I LOVE a twistout!!! And certain products help me with getting them moist and touchable( missjessie's anything). If I want ringlets then flat twistouts are a life saver. (I think I have a pic in my fotki)
But if you're natural curl pattern is already hot you just want to fight the friizz I know that so1913 uses the fantasia ic gel to define, and she has fantastic results.
I also knew one girl who would just wash her hair and wear it loosely banded with hair ties until it dried so that it was her texture, but stretched.

hopeful

bLackButtaFly said:
That's the way I feel about my twists too. It's too short/long to look cute:grin:. One solution I've found is doing flat twists in the front so I can have a part, and then twisting the back. Kinda like a I'm on spring break look. When I do this on dry hair I get a slamming twist out the next day or whenever I take it out. BUt it'll grow, so don't be discouraged.

Thanks blackButtaFly. Just checked out your fotki, your hair is lovely. I look forward to regularly checking in on this thread.

Nice & Wavy

I agree, this is a very good thread.

When i decided to go natural, I was in awe of so many ladies that had natural, long hair. I wanted to see my coils too and that's when I decided to do it. After such a long transisition, 10 months, I decided one day when I came home from work to do the bc. It left me with about 3 inches of natural hair. I didn't know what to do with it at that time. I wore pony's for some time until my hair started growing enough for me to wear a pony puff, and then I started feeling better about my hair.

I recently took pics for the April 1st reveal. I love the way my hair waves up and everything. I even took some pics with my hair straightened (All in the Fotki ya'll). I won't say I'm disappointed in being natural, I think I'm just not where I want to be and maybe I need a little more patience, I don't know...we will see.

Who knows what may happen, though...by the end of summer. If it grows long enough, I may not straighten but, if the urge is too strong, I'll just have to do it, but right now, I'm going to enjoy my natural journey while I'm still natural.

Thanks for this thread, though....I'm going to read every post! :D

danimani

bLackButtaFly said:
I think the biggest thing with curls is what kind are you trying to get. For some they love big hair, w/ alittle definition, and other want the look of curly hair that is very well defined. For me I've come to terms that my kinky esq hair will probably never be defined like I would like it. But that using styles that it dries in no one will ever have to know:look:. I LOVE a twistout!!! And certain products help me with getting them moist and touchable( missjessie's anything). If I want ringlets then flat twistouts are a life saver. (I think I have a pic in my fotki)
But if you're natural curl pattern is already hot you just want to fight the friizz I know that so1913 uses the fantasia ic gel to define, and she has fantastic results.
I also knew one girl who would just wash her hair and wear it loosely banded with hair ties until it dried so that it was her texture, but stretched.

Your hair is GORGEOUS! I think we have similar hair types, though you've got quite a bit of length on me.

I've tried the fantasia gel--it does nothing for me! Go figure. ;)

I think i've only done a few twistouts, but you make them look amazing--I'll definitely have to try a few more.

bLackButtaFly

Thanks for the compliment! Yeh I should have added that for me it didn't do much I only use it when I need to do a twistout or something on dry hair and need a little stick power. I need something more powerful. But keep on keeping on

glamazon386

Hair type? 4a... I have some 3c bits mixed in

Current hair length? It's neck length when stretched

Goal hair length? I don't really have one. I guess shoulder length unstretched.

Time since bc? 6 months ago.

How long did you transition, or did you? I didn't really. I was on a 6 month relaxer stretch and decided to chop all my hair off at 5.5 months.

Biggest hair challenge? I haven't really had any.

Stand-by products? I still use my Nexxus Therappe and Humectress, Fantasia Gel (The blue one), ORS Paks, LeKair Shea Cholesterol Creme and Cantu Shea Leave In.

Stand-by hair style(and short tutorial if it has not been explained. I think this is crucial because alot of the natural ladies don't know the wealth of styles they can do themselves)? I've been in weaves most of the time since I BCED. I had braids the month before I BCED and recently got a new set last week. I also have a phony pony and some wigs I wear in between styles

Do you have a picture(also very helpful)? There's one in my siggy. There's more in my fotki.

Do you ever want to go back to relaxed? I doubt it. I got my hair straightened at the salon and it looked great. So if I ever decide I want it straight, I'll just let my stylist do it. That or wear a weave. I don't really need the relaxer.

Best hair compliment? Nobody ever really sees my hair. I get the most compliments when it's slicked back into the phony pony though. The best one I got was that I looked like a little African Queen. I thought it was funny. :lol:

Last edited:

Robin41

Great thread!

Hair type? 4A, I think.

Current hair length? About shoulder length, stretched.

Goal hair length? None, really. My goal is just to grow out the healthiest head of hair I can.

Time since bc? N/A. I'm still transitioning.

How long did you transition, or did you? Been transitioning for over a year.

Biggest hair challenge? Not so much a hair challenge but dealing with other peoples' comments has been the biggest challenge so far.

Stand-by products? BTZ Noodlehead, Kinky-Curly Curling Custard, Garnier Nutrisse Soft Curl Cream

Stand-by hair style(and short tutorial if it has not been explained. I think this is crucial because alot of the natural ladies don't know the wealth of styles they can do themselves)? I'm in two-strand twists right now and you can't beat 'em for ease and convenience. When I wear my hair out, I like a curly puff (using any of the above stand-by products) or sometimes a twist-out.

Do you have a picture(also very helpful)? Some are in my siggy but I need to load some of my two-strands that I'm wearing right now.

Do you ever want to go back to relaxed? I don't believe I'll ever relax my hair again. I'd relaxed the heck out of my hair for about 40 years and you wouldn't believe how over-processed, thin and lifeless it was. I'm finally getting back to the healthy head of hair I had as a child and I'm keeping it. Nothing about straight hair appeals to me right now. Don't need it, don't want it.

Best hair compliment? That it's growing and it's thickening up some.

tmichelle

bLackButtaFly said:
After reading the thread on Nice and Wavy deciding to relax, I thought it would be nice to start a thread that supports those who are natural. Dealing with your own hair, is a continual challenge, and being natural presents its own set of difficulties. We can use this thread, to talk about our challenges with natural hair and how to solve them, also as a natural check-in, and just a thread where you can know you're not alone if you're dealing with natural Hair issues. There are other women out there who are going through the same thing. You are not alone!

Also keeping with the spirit of LHCF this is not a place of judgment, whether you decide to end your natural hair journey, or are trying to decide to begin one you can post here, and give and gain some insight.

What do you think?

I think we're gonna need some structure..

So how about some questions,

Hair type?

Current hair length?

Goal hair length?

Time since bc?

Biggest hair challenge?

Stand-by products?

Stand-by hair style(and short tutorial if it has not been explained. I think this is crucial because alot of the natural ladies don't know the wealth of styles they can do themselves)?

Best hair compliment?

Let's start with that.

Hair type? 4a

Current hair length? shoulder

Goal hair length? bra strap

Time since bc? Haven't

How long did you transition, or did you? I've been transitioning to TOTAL natural for 5 months. Before Oct. I pressed for 10 years. My hair was so damaged from pressing that major sections of it will not revert back and stay as straight as if I had a relaxer :(

Biggest hair challenge? Pleasing my dh

Stand-by products? Shea butter, hair grease (but only for my hair)

Stand-by hair style(and short tutorial if it has not been explained. I think this is crucial because alot of the natural ladies don't know the wealth of styles they can do themselves)? Scarf or a half wig

Definitely NEVER want to go back to relaxed (someone very close to me in my family has lost almost all her hair on top because of relaxers).

sweetwhispers

Hair type? 4a/4B

Current hair length? Varying. Longest past collarbone when stretched. Shortes i dunno ear:perplexed :) I don't measure my hair really.

Goal hair length? Waist.

Time since bc? N/A

How long did you transition, or did you? N/A Although i did kind of transitin out of a bad hair dye job that left me pratically bald in the middle

Biggest hair challenge? Retaining length. Damn Edges

Stand-by products? Fantasia Gel (The blue one)

Cornrow at front/twists in back. Emergency- Puff Puff away!- with the IC Gel

Note: Don't watch my face:lachen: Nor my 5 /Buck head/Rhianna/Tyra Head ok. We are beautiful people with large brains:lol: :lol: And no i don't wear the same jumper all the time re:avator it was taken on the same day:lol:

Do you ever want to go back to relaxed? I've never relaxed nor felt the desire to. I would just get a sow in weave

Best hair compliment? Can't remember.

CORBINS

Hair type? 4b

Current hair length? Between 6.5 to 8.5 ( I made the mistake and trimmed repeatedly with dull scissors, I advise everyone to sharpen any tool used to cut hair. It cost me 3 inches!)

Goal hair length? Eventually Bra-strap

Time since bc? BC: 10 April 2006

How long did you transition, or did you? 1 year

Biggest hair challenge? Finding products that worked for my hair, and trying to get rid of split ends.

Stand-by products? Pantene Conditioners (yes they work for me!), Oils, Castile Soap have made a tremendous difference over the last month.

Stand-by hair style(and short tutorial if it has not been explained. I think this is crucial because alot of the natural ladies don't know the wealth of styles they can do themselves)? Twists and Puffs.

Do you ever want to go back to relaxed? Sometimes, but all I have to do is look at old pictures of my DAMAGED, THIN relaxed hair and it scares me back into reality.

Best hair compliment? My husband absolutely loves my hair, he gives me compliments everyday about how much more healthy it looks and feels.

camellia

Hair type? Mostly 3A

Current hair length? tailbone (when stretched)

Goal hair length? classic when stretched, which should leave me at tailbone when curly

Time since bc?n/a

How long did you transition, or did you? n/a

Biggest hair challenge? those little single strand knots, ,and just tangling in general

Stand-by products? Nexxus Phyto Organics Theratin, Humectin, Enphuse and Kelate. Alterna Hemp Hydrate shampoo and conditioner. Avocado butter and hemp seed oil...

Stand-by hair style(and short tutorial if it has not been explained. I think this is crucial because alot of the natural ladies don't know the wealth of styles they can do themselves)? I wear a bun almost all of the time. I flat iron about 2 or 3 times a year. When I wear my hair loose I normally just leave it curly.

Do you have a picture(also very helpful)? In my siggy!:)

Do you ever want to go back to relaxed? n/a

Best hair compliment? The last time I flat ironed my hair I wore it down with some new lingerie and DH's eyes bugged out :eek: :lol: He told me I looked like Lady Godiva.:D

Let's start with that.

miss Congeniality

What do you think?
I think this is a great idea!

Hair type?
9 ether;) ... but I think it is 4a

Current hair length?
Umm, between 7-9 inches stretched

Goal hair length?
To get between shoulder and armpit length.

Time since bc?
It will be two years in July, so I guess about 20 months.
3 months

Biggest hair challenge?
Getting bored with my styles.

Stand-by products?
Glycerin, olive oil, shea butter, aloe vera gel and EO. I can add these to anything and make it work for me.

Wash and go

You can check out my album.

Hell No.

Best hair compliment?
Your hair fits your features perfectly.

silvergirl

Hair type? 3c

Current hair length?
underarm length when straight

Goal hair length?
hip length when straight....my ultimate goal would be waist length unstretched natural

Time since bc?
a month

19 months transition

Biggest hair challenge? 6-9 months when the natural an relaxed hair met

Stand-by products?
any conditioner

Stand-by hair style: im boring when it comes to styles, i just like my ponytails. buns and wash n go's

Do you have a picture(also very helpful)? in siggy and my fotki

nope, id rather flat iron my hair

Best hair compliment?
how fast it grows

Last edited:

tffy2004

Hair type?
3c/4a

Current hair length?
4 inches in the longest areas

Goal hair length?
31-33 inches ~ Waistlength

Time since bc?
BC'ed Jan 2, 2007

I transitioned for 6 months

Biggest hair challenge?
Combating the dryness after my first and last henna treatment.

Stand-by products?
Garnier Fructis Curl & Shine

Fro with head band, or wash and go

NO WAY!!

Best hair compliment?
There are so many, just go to my album and click on COMMENTS on the left hand side;)

Cichelle

Hair type? 3b, I think. :confused:

Current hair length? midback when stretched

Goal hair length? Waist length, however I wouldn't mind if my hair grew to classic length when it is wet or stretched.

Time since bc? Hmmm...It's been 20 months

How long did you transition, or did you? I transitioned for 14 months

Biggest hair challenge? Tangles

Stand-by products? henna, coconut oil, conditioner (various kinds), hemp and avocado butters...

Stand-by hair style(and short tutorial if it has not been explained. I think this is crucial because alot of the natural ladies don't know the wealth of styles they can do themselves)? I wear my hair up almost all of the time. I use satin scrunchies and hair clips. I also love amish pins.

Do you have a picture(also very helpful)? In my fotki

Do you ever want to go back to relaxed? Nope.

:)

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.
Hair type? 4 A/B mix

Current hair length? 8.5 to 10 inches

Goal hair length? brastrap

Time since bc? 10 months

How long did you transition, or did you? 14 months

Biggest hair challenge? the damn knots

Stand-by products? fantasia IC (blue) + Aveda Be Curly

Stand-by hair style(and short tutorial if it has not been explained. I think this is crucial because alot of the natural ladies don't know the wealth of styles they can do themselves)? puff or twists

Do you have a picture(also very helpful)? see fotki

Do you ever want to go back to relaxed? nope. I HATE touchups

Best hair compliment? that I have big crazy hair

mkstar826

supersonic
great thread :)

Hair type? mine (i don't hair type ;))

Current hair length?the front/top is chin/neck length and the back is SL

Goal hair length? midback

Time since bc? i chopped december 5, 2003

How long did you transition, or did you? 2 wks short of 1 yr.

Biggest hair challenge? don't have any

Stand-by products? everything i use is in my hair album (link below)

Stand-by hair style(and short tutorial if it has not been explained. I think this is crucial because alot of the natural ladies don't know the wealth of styles they can do themselves)?see my hair album

Do you have a picture(also very helpful)? see my hair album

Do you ever want to go back to relaxed? NEVER...there's no reason to.

Best hair compliment? that my hair looks healthy and it smells good. i work hard to make sure my hair is healthy above anything else so i am happy when others take notice :D

Incredible1ne

Great thread :)

Hair type? 4B

Current hair length? I'm guessing 3 to 4 inches. I'm not really sure!

Goal hair length? Shoulder Length, unstretched

Time since bc? Almost 10 months

How long did you transition, or did you? No transition

Biggest hair challenge? It's been close to a year and I'm still not sure exactly what to do with my hair. I was very excited to try different things at first and now that's waning. When I was relaxed I only did 3 things - wrap, rollerset, and ponytail...I don't know, I just expected to be able to do more with my natural hair.

Stand-by products? Big fan of Qhemet Biologics products.

Stand-by hair style? Don't have one

Do you have a picture? I just had my hair cornrowed a few days ago, so this is all I have:

Do you ever want to go back to relaxed? It has crossed my mind...but when I was at the salon getting my hair braided, the smell of the relaxer from the women getting touch ups was not pleasant :( Had I seen this board before I cut my hair, I'd probably still have a relaxer.

Best hair compliment
? None.

chocolate01

Hair type? no clue, i've never bothered to type it

Current hair length? armpit length when straight, shoulder length curly

Goal hair length? brastap

Time since bc? 20 months

How long did you transition, or did you? exactly 11 months

Biggest hair challenge? I don't have any

Stand-by products? PM The Conditioner-I love it! see my album for the rest

Stand-by hair style(and short tutorial if it has not been explained. I think this is crucial because alot of the natural ladies don't know the wealth of styles they can do themselves)? I am boring so usually twists pulled back in a ponytail or bun

Do you have a picture(also very helpful)? see my album, link in my siggy

Do you ever want to go back to relaxed? nope, I rather flat iron

Best hair compliment? that my hair inspires others

danimani

Hair type? 3C/4A mix

Current hair length? 5-6 inches

Goal hair length? mid-back, unstretched

Time since bc? 2 months

How long did you transition, or did you? 9 months

Biggest hair challenge? combing! yikes!

Stand-by products? catwalk oatmeal and honey conditioner, liquid hair mayo, texture my way (africa's best), africa's best herbal oil

Stand-by hair style(and short tutorial if it has not been explained. I think this is crucial because alot of the natural ladies don't know the wealth of styles they can do themselves)? Puff!

Do you have a picture(also very helpful)? yes; see bottom of post

Do you ever want to go back to relaxed? NO!

Best hair compliment? the rare times my curls pop, people love them!

here are some recent pictures:

angellazette

Hair type? majority 4a

Current hair length? ranges from nose to shoulder length

Goal hair length? BSL unstretched

Time since bc? about 12 months or so...

How long did you transition, or did you? ~14 months

Biggest hair challenge? my hair only becomes a problem when I let it airdry loose without properly detangling and moisturizing.

Stand-by products? Coconut oil, Elucence MB

Stand-by hair style(and short tutorial if it has not been explained. I think this is crucial because alot of the natural ladies don't know the wealth of styles they can do themselves)? Twists...can wear them up or down, pulled back and occasional puffs

Do you have a picture(also very helpful)? see my fotki

Do you ever want to go back to relaxed? Don't plan on it

Best hair compliment? Varies (see fotki)

hopeful

Just coming back to answer your questions:).

Hair type? 4a/4b

Current hair length? 5-6 inches I think, I'll measure later to be sure.

Goal hair length? Shoulder-length for now.

Time since bc? One year

How long did you transition, or did you? Maybe one or two months, I mean I didn't really transition.

Biggest hair challenge? Being patient while it grows out to the length I want.

Stand-by products? S-Curl, CON shampoo (green label), Dove Intensive moisturizing conditioner.

Stand-by hair style(and short tutorial if it has not been explained. I think this is crucial because alot of the natural ladies don't know the wealth of styles they can do themselves)? Twist out or Wash n go with a pretty scarf.

Do you have a picture(also very helpful)? This is a twist-out from very old twists.

Do you ever want to go back to relaxed? I don't know, sometimes I waiver but if I could get to a good length and could find a good stylist to occasionally flat-iron I think I could always be natural.

Best hair compliment? That it's so thick. That it's pretty.

Last edited: