Duchesse

Hair type? 4a/b- very dense and poofy

Current hair length? longest layer below slightly below shoulder

Goal hair length? BSL! I'm willig to wait the years

Time since bc? one year

How long did you transition, or did you? like a month

Biggest hair challenge? dryness and moisture, also knots

Stand-by products? castor and vatika oil, ors hair mayo

Stand-by hair style(and short tutorial if it has not been explained. I think this is crucial because alot of the natural ladies don't know the wealth of styles they can do themselves)? I wish I did more hairstyles, my hair is usually in cornrows with a headwrap/hat. This year I'll wear a lot of braids and extensions, loose styles aren't the best for me.

Do you have a picture(also very helpful)? my fotki

Do you ever want to go back to relaxed? nope. I've had relaxed hair for years, but I love my natural hair so much. It goes better with my lifestyle in general. I do plan on pressing though.

Best hair compliment? overhearing a teenager say she wants to "get a natural soon" to her friend. I thought it was cute.

LongHairDreams

All I have to say is that all you ladies are true inspirations for me :yep:. This is my second natural journey and Im not going back. I origionally BC'd in Feb 07 but my afro was getting on my nerves because it was lopsided. So, I got a couple inches cut off in Nov. Won't do that again, but I did feel better afterwords. So right now, im rocking a TWA. I am trying to grow my hair out. Im trying to be patient. This is a wonderful thread.

Last edited:

cecepassion

What are ya'll using to detangle. I have 4b i think and it's hard to detangle. I want to try Afro Detangler but to expensive for me right now. Do ya'll have any suggestions for a good detangler?

gressr

Hair type? 4a

Current hair length? shoulder length

Goal hair length? Since it shrinks like crazy i will say BSL stretched

Time since bc? BC 2/07

How long did you transition, or did you? 2.5 months

Biggest hair challenge? styling (but i have always had this challenge)

Stand-by products? vatika oil, jojoba oil, avocado butter, and WATER(love it)

Stand-by hair style(and short tutorial if it has not been explained. I think this is crucial because alot of the natural ladies don't know the wealth of styles they can do themselves)? Warmer days i like to wear W-n-g and when i find to the time i occasionally twist or coil my hair

Do you have a picture(also very helpful)? my fotki

Do you ever want to go back to relaxed? No

FineChyna

is anyone having hairline problems? like the hair line is a drastic texture difference from the rest of your hair making updo's look like a no do? :nono:

like my hairline has zero wave pattern and was very "cotton" like in texture

i figured a texturizer on those parts would loosen up the hair, make it lay down and easier to style to match the rest of my hair

well it did lay down but for the longer strands of hair it looks weird. when i pull my hair back there is still no curl even when i do a braid out on that hair and use a styling product.

i guess the only other idea is to always where my hair out but the downside to that is the bulk is no good for my face shape.

just trying to see if there is anything else i can do. maybe i should sleep with rollers in my head?

JustKiya

is anyone having hairline problems? like the hair line is a drastic texture difference from the rest of your hair making updo's look like a no do? :nono:

like my hairline has zero wave pattern and was very "cotton" like in texture

i figured a texturizer on those parts would loosen up the hair, make it lay down and easier to style to match the rest of my hair

well it did lay down but for the longer strands of hair it looks weird. when i pull my hair back there is still no curl even when i do a braid out on that hair and use a styling product.

i guess the only other idea is to always where my hair out but the downside to that is the bulk is no good for my face shape.

just trying to see if there is anything else i can do. maybe i should sleep with rollers in my head?

I don't understand why the different textures prevented you from doing updos? What sort were you trying? Do you have pictures?
And it sounds like when you texturized the edges, you might have relaxed them - the hair there is so fine - so that might be why it's not holding a curl anymore.

Sunshine0801

What are ya'll using to detangle. I have 4b i think and it's hard to detangle. I want to try Afro Detangler but to expensive for me right now. Do ya'll have any suggestions for a good detangler?

My hair type is 4B too, and my hair is very easy to detangle after conditioning with Kenra Moisturizing Conditioner and using Giovanni Direct Leave-In conditioner. :yep:

FineChyna

I don't understand why the different textures prevented you from doing updos? What sort were you trying? Do you have pictures?
And it sounds like when you texturized the edges, you might have relaxed them - the hair there is so fine - so that might be why it's not holding a curl anymore.
i still do the updos but the edges look horrible IMO which is making me not want to do it

secondly the edges never had a curl pattern. some was z shaped waves and some had no curl pattern. i just wanted the hair to lay down instead of stick up and out which it does now but i was wondering what i could do to have it get and hold a more def curl pattern

its like when i pull my hair you see cnapp hair with no curl on the sides and hairline and then a ton of curls and waves in the back, ends and very top of my head.

if i wore my hair "out" you see a lot of curls and waves. i was just trying to see who has hair like this

cecepassion

My hair type is 4B too, and my hair is very easy to detangle after conditioning with Kenra Moisturizing Conditioner and using Giovanni Direct Leave-In conditioner. :yep:

Thanks i have the kenra,but i didn't have good success with the giovanni but will give it a try with the kenra:grin:

JustKiya

i still do the updos but the edges look horrible IMO which is making me not want to do it

secondly the edges never had a curl pattern. some was z shaped waves and some had no curl pattern. i just wanted the hair to lay down instead of stick up and out which it does now but i was wondering what i could do to have it get and hold a more def curl pattern

its like when i pull my hair you see cnapp hair with no curl on the sides and hairline and then a ton of curls and waves in the back, ends and very top of my head.

if i wore my hair "out" you see a lot of curls and waves. i was just trying to see who has hair like this

Interesting. Have you tried putting it into an updo, and then smoothing down your edges with some butter/spritz/gel and tying them with a scarf? Or, flat/two strand twisting the edges, and then pulling those into your updo?

D

donewit-it

Is wearing a wash n go considered a protective style if your hair is only 5-6 inches long and not touching your clothing (i.e shoulders, when in a puff)

I am participating in the Bootcamp challenge, in some week and a half old braids that are looking raggedy and making me not look HOT! I'm gonna try and stay in them until the weekend and do some two-strand twists, to bring my sexy back,

Or is it a low manipulation style which is okay in this challenge. I think I answered my own question:drunk: (I'm not feeling well, I'm going crazy actually)
Any suggestions would be appreciated to jazz up my appearance.:ohwell:

FineChyna

Interesting. Have you tried putting it into an updo, and then smoothing down your edges with some butter/spritz/gel and tying them with a scarf? Or, flat/two strand twisting the edges, and then pulling those into your updo?

sometimes my edges lay down and sometimes they rise up. it helped a bit since i put the texturizer on that area but there is some longer hair that is cnapp in the front that the most i can get it to do is a very frizzy wave and that is with me using a lot of products in that area and braiding it at night.

maybe i need to braid that part smaller and give that section a indivdual braid at night

Hair type? A little bit of everything....kinky, curly, wavy. But SUPER thick and coarse everywhere. Hair is tightest in the back, and loosest at the top.

Current hair length? Past should length stretched in the back, front is about chin length stretched.

Goal hair length? About BSL stretched; would LOVE to have shoulder skimming hair unstretched.

Time since bc? My last BC was September, '06

How long did you transition, or did you? I transitioned for a few years. I just stopped getting perms one day, but would still get my hair pressed. Because of it, my texture changed A LOT...my hair was more 3b/3c...which is not my "real" texture, so I decided to BC again, and stop pressing.

Biggest hair challenge? Dealing with sooooo much, thick hair. I have found VERY FEW people that have hair like mine, so the "journey" is kinda lonely. Not many people really understand what I go through...like, NO, I canNOT get my hair in one bun right now because my ish is just that thick, no matter what my length is. And that's really annoying because I really want to bun it up as a protective style. Twists are great, but they take FOREVER...and I don't have the time for that. Sometimes, it makes me want to relax again because I know I'll save time by just getting blow-outs.

Stand-by products? Infusium 23, Ecostyler gel, Coconut Oil, Aveda Sap Moss, Elucence MBC

Stand-by hair style (and short tutorial if it has not been explained. I think this is crucial because a lot of the natural ladies don't know the wealth of styles they can do themselves)? Wash and Gos

Do you have a picture (also very helpful)? See below, and also in my fotki.

Do you ever want to go back to relaxed? Not today. Ask me again tomorrow.

Best hair compliment?
When I'm asked if it's all mine; or when people of all backgrounds literally stare at my hair on the train, then tell me it's simply beautiful. That alone keeps me natural. Not many people have seen heads of hair like mine, and I DEFINITELY stand out in a crowd.

adf23

^^^^^^^ Kinkerbelle!!!!!!:love: (picks jaw up from floor) YOUR HAIR IS GORGEOUS!!!! so defined!!!!

bella gee

Hair type? Too many!! silky loose spirals, waves, and tight coils right below the crown--

Current hair length? Shoulder Length unstretched; BSL stretched

Goal hair length? MBL stretched

Time since bc? September 04

How long did you transition, or did you? Nope! Just cut it all off! Shaved in the back & two inches on top!

Biggest hair challenge? THE FRIZZ FACTOR:ohwell: However I have found some routines/products that have been working for me lately :grin: I used to just wear a smoothed back pony tail or a puff because I couldnt control the frizz/volume/undefined curls enough to wear it out. But the past few months I've worn it out more than ever. And the times I need a break (and when i think my hair needs a break) I'll get a sew-in for 6-8 weeks where i experience mega growth:yep:.

Stand-by products? Suave Naturals Tropical Cocunut or Citrus Conditioners, Aubrey Organics Honey Suckle Rose Conditioner, SheaMoisture Leave-In, Herbal Essences Body Envy Gel, Fantasia IC Gel Clear W/ Sparkle-Lites, Creme of Nature Shampoo

Stand-by hair style (and short tutorial if it has not been explained. I think this is crucial because a lot of the natural ladies don't know the wealth of styles they can do themselves)? Side-part, swooped and smoothed back into low ponytail using Fantasia IC Gel

Do you have a picture (also very helpful)? Fotki, and below

Do you ever want to go back to relaxed? Heck No!--never crosses my mind--if i need straight hair I flat iron or rock a sew-in:yep:

Best hair compliment? Well the compliments start by PEOPLE TOUCHING MY HAIR :wallbash: If not that, then just a usual "oh my gosh your hair is so pretty"--never get anything but a variation of that.

laketta

Hair type? 4b Natural

Current hair length? Shoulder Length Unstretched/ Bottom Bra Strap Stretched

Goal hair length? Waistlength or even tailbone

Time since bc? June 2003

How long did you transition, or did you? 6 Months

Biggest hair challenge? Breakage and Constant Trimming

Stand-by products? Jojoba Oil

Stand-by hair style? Braids and Hairpieces that uses less manipulation

Do you have a picture(also very helpful)? Check Signature

Do you ever want to go back to relaxed? If I make waistlength then NO.

Best hair compliment? My hair's thickness.

sunshinne368

So how about some questions,

Hair type?
My hair is all type of text. I think I am a 3c/4a
Current hair length?
APL! 4 Months ago I was BSL.
Goal hair length?
BSL straight. SL when curly
Time since bc?
How long did you transition, or did you?
1year
Biggest hair challenge?
Wearing my hair straight in NC! I am a cali girl at heart. I sweat a lot! So the humidity and sweat don't mix. Looking for suggestions to help
Stand-by products?
Coconut oil, Shea butter,and other ESO. I am still looking for good natural hair products. I am a PJ! I need to learn to stick with one thing.
Stand-by hair style(and short tutorial if it has not been explained. I think this is crucial because alot of the natural ladies don't know the wealth of styles they can do themselves)?
My twist! I always get ask who does your hair!

Do you have a picture(also very helpful)?
My fotki
Do you ever want to go back to relaxed?
I was recently thinking about a texturizer. I don't know what got into me! I've been natural for so long! I am getting married and want straight hair, but want my hair to be straight through out the celebration!
:grin:

nappy85

Hair type? 3c/4a

Current hair length? About 1" from the top of my brastrap

Goal hair length? Waist length

Time since bc? 4 years in June

How long did you transition, or did you? BC in June 2004

Biggest hair challenge? Moisturizing. My hair is often drier than I would like.

Stand-by products? Tresemme's Moisture for Dry and Damaged hair shampoo, Suave's Conditioners, Luster's Pink RitvaLEX Conditioner, Suave's lotions, Fruit of the Earth's 100% gel, Blue Magic's Coconut Oil (for edges only).

Stand-by hair style(and short tutorial if it has not been explained. I think this is crucial because alot of the natural ladies don't know the wealth of styles they can do themselves)? Wash & go

Do you have a picture(also very helpful)? In my avatar and signature. I'm still working on my fotki.

Do you ever want to go back to relaxed? No. There is no need to.

Best hair compliment? "Is that all your hair?"

PanamasOwn

Good news:

for the past few weeks, I was struggling with my hair, its texture, and everything in between...I was so close to going to the BSS, and picking up a relaxer and just be done with it.... but there was this little something inside of me that urged me not to...

I went back and started looking at old photos of myself and what a thinned-out choppy mess my hair looked like when I had a relaxer.. Then I went stalked my favorite fotki's for inspiration...

LynnieB
Nume2004
Chicoro
Kinkerbelle
LadyLibra
and Lauren450

and I remembered why I went natural in the first place...thanks ladies for all the inspiration...

I'm staying natural !! :meme: ...I'm pretty sure the uneasy feeling I have about my hair will linger around for a while, but at least I know that it will only get better from here....

CLASSYEBONYGIRL

Hair type? 4A

Current hair length?TWA

Goal hair length?
Brastrap

Time since bc?
1 week

How long did you transition, or did you?
3 months

Biggest hair challenge? none right now

Stand-by products?
too many to list

Stand-by hair style: wash and go and wigs for now

Do you have a picture(also very helpful)? in my siggy and also in my hair album

Do you ever want to go back to relaxed? no

Best hair compliment?
TWA really suits my face

NewYorkgyrl

Hair type? 4a

Current hair length? Shoulder length stretched

Goal hair length? Waist length stretched

Time since bc? 10 months

How long did you transition, or did you? 1 year and 4 months

Biggest hair challenge? Trying to disguise my straight heat damages pieces with the rest of my hair

Stand-by products? Qhemet biologics heavy creame and honey balm, aubrey organics honeysuckle rose conditioner, BBD strecth, curly pudding (for twist outs), baby buttercreme

Stand-by hair style(and short tutorial if it has not been explained. I think this is crucial because alot of the natural ladies don't know the wealth of styles they can do themselves)? Twist out, puff

Do you have a picture(also very helpful)? See advatar and/or fotki link

Do you ever want to go back to relaxed? NO!!!!!!!!!!!!

Best hair compliment? My hair looks very healthy, dark, soft, and beautiful
Did you add a piece to get that style...it looks so full

Last edited:

guudhair

Hey ladies,
Do any of you have short natural hair and wear it straight?...what styles to you wear (when it's straight)?

-Hair type? 4b
-Current hair length? neck length stretched
-Goal hair length? SL unstretched
-Time since bc? 2 months
-How long did you transition, or did you? BC in Nov 07
-Biggest hair challenge? Staying natural without micros
-Stand-by products? Still looking
-Stand-by hair style(and short tutorial if it has not been explained. Braids for now
-Do you have a picture(also very helpful)? My fotki
-Do you ever want to go back to relaxed? Yes, but I'm trying to fight temptation.
-Best hair compliment? None yet...no one has seen my natural hair