Natural with Dandruff

pbuckley

I have a confession I am currently going Natural and I have dandruff.....BAD
I admit that I get my natural hair blown out at a Dominican salon once every two weeks. And that is pretty much my regimen, in between salon visits I wrap my hair. No other heat is applied. I bring my products with me and I have tried so many different products to help combat the dandruff but I am miserable and at a lost. I have currently brought the Jane Carter Solution line washed on Thursday and by Saturday my scalps flaky with dry patches that itch. I need help with a Regmine or a line that will make this stuff LEAVE! Any suggestions?

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
I used to be like this until I realized that my hair and scalp fared better with more frequent washing. Once I started washing my scalp at least once a week and using a mild ACV (apple cider vinegar) rinse, my scalp issues (dry, flaky patches) disappeared. Additionally, I used JBCO (Jamaican Black Castor Oil) on my hair at night, that seemed to help the issue as well.

NicWhite

I use coconut oil, castor oil and essential oil mix on my scalp. If I don't oil my scalp, I get dandruff from a dry scalp.

You can get dandruff/flaking of the scalp for many reasons:

1. over production of sebum
2. dry scalp
3. scalp psoriasis
4. scalp dermatitis due to irritation from products.

Is your scalp irritated? Is there anything that makes it better or worse? Maybe you should go to a dermatologist and let them take look.

Maybe you need to wash your scalp more often.

Adaj

Thank you, OP for posting this! I am going through the same thing now, and the dandruff is INSANE. I wash and DC my hair every two weeks, but I think that I am going to have to start washing my hair on a weekly basis to combat this dandruff. This natural thing is definitely a journey...to say the least.

Miss*Tress

I used to have dandruff due to build-up of sebum. If that's the cause for you, applying shampoo directly to the scalp will clear it up immediately. To test it out, try rubbing some witch hazel or Sea Breeze directly on your scalp section-by-section with a q-tip or a cotton ball. If it helps, you probably have excess sebum and the stylist isn't washing your head properly. Hope this helps.

ladysaraii

I had this problem too.

What helped

1. Using only sulfate free shampoos. I truly believe sulfates exacerbated the issue.

2. ACV rinses as my final rinse. I would always include some drops of tea tree oil as well, really helps.

3. Chiccoro's pre-poo with AVG. I make sure I rub just the gel into my scalp and I think that too has done great things as well.

4. ETA: Washing more frequently. Once, maybe twice a week was good

Bubblingbrownshuga

It sounds like your scalp may be dry from the blowouts, too. What I would recommend is using the above oils like the ladies above suggested, but use your body heat to create moisture for your scalp. For example, use the oils on your scalp, place a plastic cap on your head for about 1 hour, then wash/rinse. It would also be beneficial to use a shampoo with tea tree oil in it. I really like Trader Joe's Tea Tree oil shampoo and conditioner.

HTH

pbuckley

I use coconut oil, castor oil and essential oil mix on my scalp. If I don't oil my scalp, I get dandruff from a dry scalp.

You can get dandruff/flaking of the scalp for many reasons:

1. over production of sebum
2. dry scalp
3. scalp psoriasis
4. scalp dermatitis due to irritation from products.

Is your scalp irritated? Is there anything that makes it better or worse? Maybe you should go to a dermatologist and let them take look.

Maybe you need to wash your scalp more often.

I went to the dermatologist and was advised that my scalp is over producing sebum. I have patches of what looks like crust that sits on my scalp. I can't imagine washing and dealing with my thick 4a/4b hair on my own and with kids its to hard for me to get in and out of the salon weekly. I fill like if I could just find something that will help with the overproduction my issues would be solved.

MizzBrown

Listerine. :giggle:

Listerine was first marketed for dandruff before it was marketed as a antiseptic mouthwash. Old school remedy.

Get the original formula only (yellow color) and take a swab, washcloth, etc. and clean your scalp with hit. Or put it in a spray bottle and spray your scalp with it. Do not dilute it.

Let it sit for about 15 mins and then wash and condition as normal. Do this everyday for about a week to see if it helps.

Seabreeze is good too if you feel funny bout putting mouthwash on your scalp but white folks use listerine b/c it's strong enough to kill lice so it will help with dandruff.

theAlist

I never had dandruff issues until I went natural the first time around. I'm still struggling from that til this day. Nothing seems to work, so I think I may just try a dermatologist.

delitefulmane

I had this problem about two weeks ago!
What helped?
I bought T/Sal shampoo from Walgreens! It is fragrance free and it doesn't leave my hair feeling dry! Only clean! :yep: My cousin (who is a stylist) recommended Nizoral but it was more costly than T/Sal. So needless to say I bought the T/Sal and it did the same job!:giggle: HTH

mostamaziing

Hi I'm Chrissy (✿◠‿◠)
Listerine. :giggle:

Listerine was first marketed for dandruff before it was marketed as a antiseptic mouthwash. Old school remedy.

Get the original formula only (yellow color) and take a swab, washcloth, etc. and clean your scalp with hit. Or put it in a spray bottle and spray your scalp with it. Do not dilute it.

Let it sit for about 15 mins and then wash and condition as normal. Do this everyday for about a week to see if it helps.

Seabreeze is good too if you feel funny bout putting mouthwash on your scalp but white folks use listerine b/c it's strong enough to kill lice so it will help with dandruff.

ilearn something new every tiime ilog on :drunk:

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
I went to the dermatologist and was advised that my scalp is over producing sebum. I have patches of what looks like crust that sits on my scalp. I can't imagine washing and dealing with my thick 4a/4b hair on my own and with kids its to hard for me to get in and out of the salon weekly. I fill like if I could just find something that will help with the overproduction my issues would be solved.

I know where you are coming from in terms of feeling like you can't learn how to style your hair yourself. However, I would encourage you to try - maybe pick a day or week when your hair style isn't likely to be an issue such a vacation or even just a few days before you run back to the salon. There are lots of videos available on YT as well tons of information in many threads here. I am not the world's best stylist, but I learned (and am still learning) how to style my own hair. I can now flat iron, 2-strand twist, roller set and WnG my own hair. All things I wasn't able to do (to my own liking) after a lifetime of salon visits only.

Solitude

I would suggest pre shampooing before you go to the salon. Take a cheap conditioner like Suave and mix in a few drops of eucalyptus, Rosemary (don't use if pregnant), and peppermint oil. Apply to scalp and massage in. Apply the conditioner to the rest of your hair. Let it sit with a plastic cap for awhile. at the salon, have them shampoo and dc you as normal. This worked for me 3 years ago.

Also, aveda scalp benefits got my son's scalp back balanced. It's a little too drying for my hair.

Misseyl

I tell you what; I never had dandruff until I started visiting the beautician. What helped was a bit of Sulfur 8 grease, it cleared it all up.
Now I believe my dandruff was due to the fact that the beautician does not disinfect her equipment properly, i.e., brushes, combs, etc. Once I stopped going, my dandruff went away.

southerncitygirl

pbuckley
my dandruff issues ceased once i became a weekly washer, i would suggest washing your hair on the in between weeks and do a textured style ( bantu knots, twist/braidouts, rollersets etc.)

if this is not an option....prepoo with a mix of oil( i've used evoo,evco or hot six oil), natural conditioner (mill creek, trader joes, natures gate, aubrey's, etc.) and aloe vera gel overnight before you head to the salon.....do you bring your own products? if they use a sulfate based poo it could be irritating your scalp and causing it to flake.

Anaya-Amani

I'm going through a similar issue but, I think my problem is due to scalp irritation from ACV! I did a henna treatment last weekend and added ACV to help with the color deposit but I fell asleep with it in my hair over night and woke up to my scalp itching like crazy to the point I had to re-wash it and put tea tree oil on certain areas to calm the itching. It's still itching, not as bad, but I have flakes. I'm going to try a pre-poo with Shikakai oil and Coconut oil and then a clarify poo. I realized this weekend that I'm having a reaction to indigo, I won't be using it anymore!!!

CurlyLawGal

I suffered from dandruff my entire life, whether relaxed or natural. However, I started using unrefined, extra virgin coconut oil on my scalp... BAM. Clear scalp.

Also... I find that at salons they do not ALWAYS get the conditioner completely rinsed out. It could be a combo of overproduction of sebum and product buildup. Good luck!

IslandDiva08

I had the same issue (it might have been worst than yours)......All the products that my dermatologist recommended did not work, eventually she recommended that I stop using chemicals in my hair.

I had a really bad case of psoriasis, when I found out that my prescribe products weren’t working I had to re-evaluate my hair products and my diet and then formulate a plan of action. Since then, I have switch to all natural shampoos and conditioners, start eating a little healthier and stop relaxing my hair ( that was two years ago).

My routine consist of washing my hair twice a week (one routine wash and the other a water only wash), and deep condition every two weeks. I love to mix oils in with my deep conditioners, because I don’t use oils on my scalp and I do a henna treatment every two month. This routine has help tremendously with my scalp issues, I still have flare ups every now and then…….but when that happens I will up my washing time to every other day until it calms back down.

Last edited:

Bublin

Stop using heat altogether and your scalp issues will disappear.

I had chronic scalp issues all my life until about 2 months ago when i decided to stop using heat.....i only used heat twice a month but it was enough to dehydrate the scalp. I had a nasty thick scalp that i had to scrape before i washed - yuk. Applying product just added to the pile up of gunk - yuk. Using product to wipe it off was useless and waste of time for me.

I now don't even apply oils to my scalp - a drop of jojoba now and again.

I'm now learning how to style my hair whilst damp ie cornrows, buns, braid-outs etc.

The side effect of stopping the heat is of course healthier hair.

Last edited:

kupenda

I'm not natural anymore but I got my hair wet at least three times a week. I rarely used shampoo and I kept my product usage to a very bare minimum. Just a lil oil or a lil moisturizer every once in awhile. But always water first. And now that I'm relaxed I've learned that I absolutely cannot put certain things on my scalp. I can oil my scalp lightly once a week. But only if I know I will be washing soon. My scalp likes her space lol

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF