Naturally Flexible Support Thread

sgold04

I miss y'all. How's everyone doing? Any winter hair goals?

Im hoping to reach full waist length by the end of the year. I had a little tail in May, but the ends looked thin, I'm not sure if it was breakage, or due to the "layers" the stylist cut. I asked her for layers around my face only, not in the back, but she cut about 1.5 inches from the hair above my nape anyway. if I'm being honest with myself, I need to trim about two inches, the plan was to trim in October the next time I was going to straighten, but I think I need to stay in crochet braids through December, things are about to get hectic (different installs of course)

Last edited:

doriannc

I've been natural for 10 years now! Yay!
I went natural out of curiosity really. I wanted to see what my hair would be like in a natural state. Now my hair is waist length stretched. But I think it's time to try something new again. I'm tired of buns and protective styles, braid and twist that take forever to dry and the dreaded wash day.

So I'm going to relax my hair again soon. When I had relaxed hair, it was really healthy. But I never had it long because I was a slave to my bob and I was too impatient to grow it out. I'm kind of excited on this new chapter of having straight and super long hair. It's just funny that I went natural when it wasn't cool and now I'm going back to relaxed when that's not cool either. I guess I'll never be hip. Lol

sgold04

I've been natural for 10 years now! Yay!
I went natural out of curiosity really. I wanted to see what my hair would be like in a natural state. Now my hair is waist length stretched. But I think it's time to try something new again. I'm tired of buns and protective styles, braid and twist that take forever to dry and the dreaded wash day.

So I'm going to relax my hair again soon. When I had relaxed hair, it was really healthy. But I never had it long because I was a slave to my bob and I was too impatient to grow it out. I'm kind of excited on this new chapter of having straight and super long hair. It's just funny that I went natural when it wasn't cool and now I'm going back to relaxed when that's not cool either. I guess I'll never be hip. Lol
I've heard great things about Japanese Therman Straightening, if you are interested in exploring other straightening options as well.

:heart:
I loooooove this thread! :clap:

Newborn Grown Natcha here! :grouphug: (I explain how I can be a Newborn yet simultaneously a Grown Natcha below. :) )

A (1-4).
I transitioned because all of a sudden relaxers just started destroying my hair. Here's my hair journey story, full of many pics: https://theblossomingnaturalhairnewbie.wordpress.com/photos-my-hair-journey/

A5.
Here was my transitioning style, which I LOVED, LOVED, LOVED!: https://theblossomingnaturalhairnewbie.wordpress.com/about/wp_002322-1/

B1.
Here is my current hair care regimen (I'm super new at doing hair at all!): https://theblossomingnaturalhairnewbie.wordpress.com/current-hair-regimin/

C. I wore relaxed hair for decades up until 2013.

D. Setbacks:
  1. Setback 1 = Fear that I had "bad hair" once I saw my hair after the big chop. I have to credit my husband (he played with my TWA and told me he loved my hair and it's smell and softness and that I'd better NOT give up and re-relax!) for helping me deal. A keratin treatment that very slightly relaxed my curl pattern and a blog post about scab hair both worked wonders to get me through this very serious issue/time/feeling. Whether scab hair is a real thing or not, the idea kept emotionally afloat for the time being. ;) Now my hair has reverted away from the keratin-treatment-curl-pattern back to my own, and I'm working with it! I think it's 4a, but two stylist have told me I'm in the 3 curl pattern range. All I've got to say to that is, "Ummm :scratchchin: . . . :laugh: NO WAY!!!" :nono2: :laugh:
  2. Setback 2 = Heat damage from weekly/bi-weekly flat ironing because I didn't want to wear my natural hair out to work while I was in the awkward-length post TWA stage. Guess what? I got over that "need" to flat iron after I saw the heat damage in random spots all over my head! :) I refused to deal with two textures again, so I just went cold turkey one day and said, "That's it. No more flat ironing. My hair just is what it is. That's just how it's going to be, I guess." That day I went to a natural hair salon while visiting Atlanta and loved the flat twist-out natural style she gave me. Compliments on it helped give me the heart to keep journeying! :D
  3. Setback 3 = Naturally highly porous that is hard to keep moisturized and thus discourages me the way it looks (short and dry, after having had long and silky relaxed hair for so long). Since it won't stay moisturized enough, at times it breaks at the ends when I detangle it. Here's my plan to obtain and maintain moisturized hair and to reduce re-tangling if I can: https://theblossomingnaturalhairnewbie.wordpress.com/current-hair-regimin/
E. My interim goal is shoulder length hair when in a twist-out. My ultimate, ultimate goal is arm-pit length hair. Oh my GOODNESS that would do my soul some good, I think. I miss my length!

F. Inspirations: Bright N' Boldly and Chime Edwards (both on YouTube) have SUCH BEAUTIFUL spirits/vibes. They inspire me to not endure my natural hair journey, but to enjoy it, cherish it, and be grateful and content and joyous. I have my health and so do my loved ones! Life is too precious to spend it disturbed over hair on this journey. Also: pashtash's tutorials/demos . . . as well as Reanna Butler's . . . make me feel like I can do this: I can learn to do my own natural hair even though I'm not a "hair doing type." ;)

Other:

I just want to encourage those who are afraid to be honest about struggling with the transition if they are. Let it out in a positive "whooo saaaaaa" way, at least to yourself, I say. I'm blogging about it, and it's making me feel TONS better and is forcing me to learn a lot of truly helpful things. In solidarity with anyone who is struggling, I'll tell you that I'm a natural who admits that:
  • she misses her long, straight hair but . . .
  • she wants to fall in love with her natural hair . . . and . . .
  • falling in love with her natural hair is going to take some significant hair length, she imagines. :)
P.S. I guess it sounds somewhat contradictory to say one is a Newborn AND simultaneously a Grown Natcha, but what I mean by that is that I wore my TWA out a couple of times. Then when my TWA grew out to that awkward in-between stage, I let my stylist flat iron my hair every week or two (as "needed"). I had NO IDEA that this could damage my natural hair pattern, and it did in various sections of my hair. :( So now that I don't flat iron and just wear my hair in its natural state, this hair texture and caring for it are new to me and I feel like a newborn natural. :)

Blessings, all!

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
Hey ladies. What's new?

I am doing a retouch on my blue black semipermanent color. It lasted 3 months. I'm kinda impressed with Manic Panic right now.

Have yall done any holiday shopping for your hair? I bought a few Kerastase masks. I'm getting tired of wigging it so starting next week I will be airdrying and flatironing my hair every few weeks.

Godyssey

I've been getting keratin treatments for a little over a year. I've also been wearing extensions as well.

I haven't been wearing my hair in its natural state much. I've had success with braid outs, but don't wear them often. I get disappointed with the shrinkage. So I just put in a fake pony or extensions in between keratin treatments. I've had 3 so far and that is the only time I've had heat applied over the year.

The keratin is great, it makes detangling my natural hair so much easier. Before the keratin, I lost a lot of hair from breakage while getting my hair de tangled at salons. I lost about a years worth of growth. I had a few trims since & now it's very close to bsl.

I honestly have no more hair goals except to keep it on my head & healthy. Well, to be able to wear it in its natural state and have it look long is my goal. It will have to grow very long in order for me to achieve that. I'm not doing any hair challenges or setting any dates as to when I feel that will happen though. If I keep it healthy, it'll happen when it happens. I'm taking a well deserved break from obsessing over it.

I've been getting keratin treatments for a little over a year. I've also been wearing extensions as well.

I haven't been wearing my hair in its natural state much. I've had success with braid outs, but don't wear them often. I get disappointed with the shrinkage. So I just put in a fake pony or extensions in between keratin treatments. I've had 3 so far and that is the only time I've had heat applied over the year.

The keratin is great, it makes detangling my natural hair so much easier. Before the keratin, I lost a lot of hair from breakage while getting my hair de tangled at salons. I lost about a years worth of growth. I had a few trims since & now it's very close to bsl.

I honestly have no more hair goals except to keep it on my head & healthy. Well, to be able to wear it in its natural state and have it look long is my goal. It will have to grow very long in order for me to achieve that. I'm not doing any hair challenges or setting any dates as to when I feel that will happen though. If I keep it healthy, it'll happen when it happens. I'm taking a well deserved break from obsessing over it.

Love this post!

I'm getting crochet braids removed Friday and getting a Keratin treatment. I need a break from the difficult detangling. I pray, pray, pray it's a successful treatment.

Godyssey

I'm getting crochet braids removed Friday and getting a Keratin treatment. I need a break from the difficult detangling. I pray, pray, pray it's a successful treatment.

I'll pray with you. :)

What brand of keratin are you getting? I get Basic. It's not supposed to be permanent, & so far I haven't had any issues with it permanently changing my texture. It has helped so much! I wish I'd known about keratin before having my hair ripped out during the detangling process. But you live and you learn.

What brand of keratin are you getting? I get Basic. It's not supposed to be permanent, & so far I haven't had any issues with it permanently changing my texture. It has helped so much! I wish I'd known about keratin before having my hair ripped out during the detangling process. But you live and you learn.

Thank you for the prayers. I actually need them! LOL.

The first one I got was the GK Keratin Hair Taming System with Juvexin. I'm going to a different hair dresser this time, and I'm not sure which she will use. She's been doing hair for decades and does a pretty good job with my crochet installs, but I don't know anything about her keratin treatment skills. We'll see! I go in Friday at 8 AM. I really hope my hair isn't jacked up for Christmas.

I just learned via the confirmation email: My stylist will be giving me the KMB Salon Hair Restructuring treatment.

I don't know anything about it, so I'm off to research it.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I have had this color cream sitting on my hair for a good 4 hours. I don't plan on washing it out until my shower tonight. I hope the color really sticks this time. I plan on doing the after color treatment by Garnier Nutrisse immediately afterwards.

Cattypus1

All loced up...
I big chopped 18 months ago, last relaxer 28 months ago and this is the first time I've been cute...to me! I'm going on my 4th day of a twistout (first time ever! no nighttime retwisting either)and I still have definition! My 4-A-B-C CBL hair moves, too-this was what I was most afraid of going natural. I love my hair! I can get dressed up and go out and feel styled. I think have turned the corner on my way to BSL in 2016.

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
I big chopped 18 months ago, last relaxer 28 months ago and this is the first time I've been cute...to me! I'm going on my 4th day of a twistout (first time ever! no nighttime retwisting either)and I still have definition! My 4-A-B-C CBL hair moves, too-this was what I was most afraid of going natural. I love my hair! I can get dressed up and go out and feel styled. I think have turned the corner on my way to BSL in 2016.

Of course you're cute! It must feel so liberating to not have to twist nightly, did you take a picture? The longer my hair grows the more I'm falling in love with it too. I'm looking forward to 2016 as well!

Cattypus1

All loced up...
Of course you're cute! It must feel so liberating to not have to twist nightly, did you take a picture? The longer my hair grows the more I'm falling in love with it too. I'm looking forward to 2016 as well!
I haven't taken a picture but I should have been doing it every day that this twistout lasts. Oddly enough, I have you to thank for my recent success. When we were relaxer buddies, you mentioned Nairobi, at least I think it was you. I bought the Humecta-sil and the Wrapp-it foaming lotion. I had forgotten about them because I've been trying to use creams or butters and natural conditioners to keep my hair moisturized. I am going to steam with the Humecta-sil this weekend but I used the Wrapp-it foam to twist..OMG! That stuff is amazing. My hair is so soft and defined and actually has shine-going for day 4! So, Thank you @KiWiStyle

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
Oh yes, I loved me some Nairobi when I was relaxed! I think I still have some foam, I might have to try it when I need to do a quick twist out. I'm glad you found your groove in your natural journey!! Be sure to let me know how your hair reacts long term with those two products, I would love to use the foam with curl former sets!

My hair is taking off too! Every time I cleanse and twist my hair up again, I'm impressed with how full and longer it's getting. I may be able to start midweek cleansing in a few months when I am able to do less twists.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I finally rinsed out my color. I'm wearing a turbie towel while my hair airdries so I don't stain anything. Manic Panic transfers like crazy. My hands are tinted blue after every wash.

Godyssey

Thank you for the prayers. I actually need them! LOL.

The first one I got was the GK Keratin Hair Taming System with Juvexin. I'm going to a different hair dresser this time, and I'm not sure which she will use. She's been doing hair for decades and does a pretty good job with my crochet installs, but I don't know anything about her keratin treatment skills. We'll see! I go in Friday at 8 AM. I really hope my hair isn't jacked up for Christmas.

Did you get your keratin treatment? If so, what was your experience? Do you like it?

Godyssey

My blowout is way old! I wanted to keep it until Christmas, but it can't hang. It's very stringy and oily looking. I plan on washing it soon, but keep procrastinating because I'm not sure how I want my hair to look for the holiday. Do I blow it out, which I'm not so great at, or do I let it air dry & do a braid out? Decisions, decisions...

Cattypus1

All loced up...
Oh yes, I loved me some Nairobi when I was relaxed! I think I still have some foam, I might have to try it when I need to do a quick twist out. I'm glad you found your groove in your natural journey!! Be sure to let me know how your hair reacts long term with those two products, I would love to use the foam with curl former sets!

My hair is taking off too! Every time I cleanse and twist my hair up again, I'm impressed with how full and longer it's getting. I may be able to start midweek cleansing in a few months when I am able to do less twists.
Well...I still love the styling foam but the conditioner wasn't really happy about my natural hair. Back to the NG Herbal Blends..

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
My blowout is way old! I wanted to keep it until Christmas, but it can't hang. It's very stringy and oily looking. I plan on washing it soon, but keep procrastinating because I'm not sure how I want my hair to look for the holiday. Do I blow it out, which I'm not so great at, or do I let it air dry & do a braid out? Decisions, decisions...
A braidout would be pretty.

Godyssey

A braidout would be pretty.

I may. But as soon as I hit 'post reply on my post', I went ahead, bit the bullet, washed it, then blew it out. I like it so much better than my old blowout. It's not as flat and has more body.

In a day or two, I'll either steam curl it or do a braid out.

Btw, I love that my freshly washed hair is so easy to de tangle and the texture. I wish I'd thought to snap a pic.