Naturals and Protein???

Naturals, do you do protein treatments?

• Yes, I absolutely need protein treatments!

Votes: 19 59.4%
  • No, protein has not made a difference in my hair.

Votes: 13 40.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tenacious

Yeah, so I went to Trade Secret yesterday and talked to my friend who is a hairstylist and consultant there. I asked her about growing my hair out for this competition and she gave me some tips here and there.

But I was compelled to ask her about protein treatments. She looked at my hair and said "You don't have any chemical process in your hair. Why do are you doing protein?" I said "Well, I was told that protein balance is good for the hair." She told me that protein is especially for relaxed ladies. She said my hair was normal type and had very little damage, so I didn't need it at all. She told me to focus on moisture because my hair type always needs moisture, period.

Also, she said that protein has never helped for her hair and caused it to break off (she's a type 1 btw). I thought about this and remembered lots of white girls saying the same thing about protein causing problems to their hair and keeping it from growing longer. So, if they have a problem with protein, should we even be using it at all?

So naturals, do you really think it's necessary to have protein treatments? Has this helped or hindered your progress?

JustKiya

I use only light protien, and I've been growing away from it for a while now.....though I did just jump on the SAA bandwagon... ;) but that was more for it's moisture than it's protien.....

I do agree with her though, that natural hair usually trends towards the 'moisture-hungry' side of the spectrum than it does the 'protien-needing' side of the spectrum...and some of my worst breakage episodes have happened after a series of protien treatments....

I think my fine hair just needs a tiny bit of SOMETHING strengtening. But just a tiny bit.

Last edited:

Sunshine0801

I recently used Aphogee for the first time and loved it. I wasn't having breakage problems before I tried the treatment, but some sections of my hair are very fine, and I wanted to strengthen those sections.

I tried Aubrey's GPB in the past and saw no difference in my hair. After trying Aphogee, I noticed a significant difference and could instantly see that my hair was much stronger. :yep:

morehairplease

This time around, I plan on only using natural protein treatments for my natural tresses(and this is only if I feel I need a protein treatment). I am trying to focus on moisture moreso than protein b/c my hair is so, so dry.

nappity

I use Smelly Aphogee and I love it. This is my mainstay protein treatment. I have my hair dyed so protein is an essential.

Neith

Imo protein can be beneficial to natural hair.

Say a type 1 has heat damage, protein would work for them. Overuse of protein (heavy protein usuage on hair that doesn't need it) is what will cause breakage.

Type 3's and 4's also have fragile hair that is more prone to breakage and splits. A protein treatment here and there can help.

I say don't do it too often, and maybe stick to milder treatments. Your hair needs mostly moisture... but it also can be boosted with a little extra strength.

btw... some people seem to be protein sensitive, period. If you know you're like this, just skip it.

ladylibra

when i first BCd, my hair needed moisture more than anything. within the last year though, i've noticed that it is actually getting too soft. almost mushy. and i was told i was overdoing the moisture, i needed to back down a bit and do a few protein treatments here and there.

so i've done just that. i've only been doing egg and mayo (protein + deep conditioner) once a month, and my hair has only been getting better. i just ordered some SAA after seeing all the rave reviews it was getting... :look: my PJism is rearing its ugly head again, LOL. i think as long as you pay attention to your hair, you can figure out what will help and what doesn't work for you.

tdwillis

I am natural and protein has helped repair my hair but only in the cases where I dyed it and severly damaged it in the process. Otherwise, my hair just needs mositure and that's good.

morehairplease

when i first BCd, my hair needed moisture more than anything. within the last year though, i've noticed that it is actually getting too soft. almost mushy. and i was told i was overdoing the moisture, i needed to back down a bit and do a few protein treatments here and there.

so i've done just that. i've only been doing egg and mayo (protein + deep conditioner) once a month, and my hair has only been getting better. i just ordered some SAA after seeing all the rave reviews it was getting... :look: my PJism is rearing its ugly head again, LOL. i think as long as you pay attention to your hair, you can figure out what will help and what doesn't work for you.

hi there,

do you mind sharing with me your exact recipe?

tia,
tishee

discobiscuits

Yes. I use protein treatments from time to time (about once every 8-12 weeks). I'm with your friend the stylist, my stylist told me the exact same thing when I did my first transition. He said that too much protein will cause breakage & that in general naturals do not need it and if they use it do it sparingly. I tend to focus on moisture too like the other ladies. I don't use ApHOGEE on my natural hair, I like ION's treatment pack for my natural hair. When I was relaxed, I would use both; ApHOGEE like once every 3-4 months and ION about every 4-6 weeks. Additionally, some leave-ins have protein as well which adds to the amount of protein additives one has used which may also cause breakage if used too much or too often in conjunction with intensive protein treatments. So if I am being very consistent with leave ins I won't do an intense treatment like ION or ApHOGEE.

Currently I am using Elucence Extended Moisture Repair Treatment regularly. It is a conditioner w/ protein in it. You let it sit for 10-20 mins under a heat cap or dryer and it is like a deep con w/ a protein treatment built in. I love it so far and I don't have to use any other added proteins.

:grin:

LynnieB

my vote isn't an option but if it were it'd be neither.

i don't absolutely need protein and i can't say protein hasn't made a beneficial difference in my hair.

Of course like most naturals, moisture is always #1 but i also like the way my hair feels after i do a protein treatment (aphogee) and know exactly what i'm doing when i do one :yep:.

my hair is not protein sensitive, at all. i do not dye my hair and only occasionally use heat; i mean like every couple months or longer between heat sessions.

i feel the extra protein will help combat the effects of weathering, styling and handling as well as give strength to my ends as my hair grows out.

most hairdressers and stylists don't know everything and are probably the last people i'd actually listen to for hair advice, i'd much rather listen to my own hair. it always tells me the truth :perplexed :grin:

brownsugarflyygirl

I use a mixture of a moisturizing conditioner and a light protein conditioner every time I DC. This past time I thought that my hair didnt really need the protein and just did moisture and my hair is like :nono: and has been acting up. So needless to say....I wont be doing that again.

I use Aubreys GPB. Its a light protein. Its been a staple for about a year now and it definitely keeps my hair strong. I think that although as a natural your hair shaft is not being broken down by a chemical process, I think that ocassional heat usage, manipulation from combs/brushes (although very minimal) and rubbing against stuff, is enough to warrant using protein to strengthen the hair cuticle.

brownsugarflyygirl

I had baught some Aphogee Leave-in and it made my hair crunchy. Does that mean I don't need protein?

Aphogee is a strong protein and usually requires following with a moisturizing conditioner. Its my opinion, that most naturals would not require the use of such a heavy protein such as Apoghee. So I think that it means that you dont need a protein as strong as Apoghee and that you may want to mix your protein or follow it with a moisturizing conditioner.

adw425

My hair loves protein. I use Duo Tex mixed with aphogee green tea and keratin (leave-in) and the old New Era reconstructor formula with animal protein that I find in a BSS in Mableton for my protein weekly. This formula is mixed with Eqyss avocado mist and when I rinse, my hair is also nice and moisturized -- not hard at all. (Regardless, though, I always end with a moisturizing conditioner as part of my regimen.) I also use aloe vera, whey protein powder, protein-laden herbs, plus foods like eggs, coconut milk, yogurt, gelatin, molasses in my deep conditioning concoctions. My hair has never had an adverse reaction to protein.

As a matter of fact, the only time my hair really retained length when I was relaxed was during the year or so that I discovered Duo Tex and was using it three or four times a week. I kid you not. I was washing my hair nightly for awhile there and blow drying and curling every morning (now I find that practice just beyond belief!) but my hair actually retained length during all that abuse because of the frequent protein treatments. I didn't realize that, though, until I discovered this website. I did not know Duo Tex was a protein treatment. I just knew that I liked the way my hair felt after using it.

Last edited:

LongHairDreams

Aphogee is a strong protein and usually requires following with a moisturizing conditioner. Its my opinion, that most naturals would not require the use of such a heavy protein such as Apoghee. So I think that it means that you dont need a protein as strong as Apoghee and that you may want to mix your protein or follow it with a moisturizing conditioner.

Thanks. So, should I keep the Aphogee Leave-in on the shelf or mix something in with it? And if so, what would you suggest?

Wildchild453

When I hit waist I stop
I use henna once a month. Proteins are good for my hair because while I have alot of it, its still pretty fine so it needs some strength to back it up. Plus its colored too

brownsugarflyygirl

Thanks. So, should I keep the Aphogee Leave-in on the shelf or mix something in with it? And if so, what would you suggest?

I personally wouldnt use a protein-based leave-in conditioner so I would leave it on the shelf. I dont want protein sitting on my hair during the week :nono:

I would recommend finding a moisture based leave-in and diluting it and using that and then sealing with an oil, creme, or pomade for soft, moisturized hair. I use diluted Giovanni Direct and it works well for me. However, I think that any moisture based leave-in will do fine. I would just dilute it to keep your hair from getting gunky because any leave-in used in a high concentration can make your hair crunchy.

Nola Darling

I had a setback because of protein. I think my hair hates it. So I just make sure to include it in my diet. My hair LOVES moisture. It just can't get enough.

honeybadgirl

when i was natural my hair hated it! took me a couple of mishaps to realize that!!:ohwell:
even now that i'm recently texlaxed, i have been doing a mild protein treatment every 2 weeks and my hair is starting to look frazzled! so i think i will go back to doing that once a month or so:nono:

BTW...how do you correct that, if you think you have too much protein in your hair? i remember reading something about that but can remember. i just decided last nite to dc a couple of times a week for a wk or 2 and see what happens

Last edited:

LongHairDreams

I baught some glycerin the other day....LOVE it. I also use Care free curl gold and just recently diluted it in a spray bottle. I like it better in that way. Would that be considered a moisturizing leave-in or is a leave-in even necessary?

I eat a lot of protein so maybe thats why my hair doesn't like the extra.

JustKiya

BTW...how do you correct that, if you think you have too much protein in your hair? i remember reading something about that but can remember. i just decided last nite to dc a couple of times a week for a wk or 2 and see what happens

I always just overmoisturize until my hair comes back to normal - slide the hair back towards the 'middle' of your personal protien/moisture balance

honeybadgirl

I always just overmoisturize until my hair comes back to normal - slide the hair back towards the 'middle' of your personal protien/moisture balance

so when you say overmoisturize is that only with more dc-ing in a week or do you mean with moisturizers you put on your dry hair too? ie hair lotions etc
thanks

Tenacious

i'd be scared to "overmoisturize".... Wouldn't that make the hair too mushy and tangly? I mean, DC should do fine, but overmoisturizing? Does this work?

JustKiya

honeybadgirl - just with additional DC's/baggying/cowashing - and I kept using my 'normal' leave-ins....

Tenacious - :lol: I didn't mean to go that far to the other end of the spectrum.

Hrm. I see too much protien as one end of a spectrum (hard & brittle) and too much moisture at the other end (soft and mushy). If your hair is already hard & brittle from too much protien, you want to push it towards being soft and mushy, but you stop 'overmoisturing' once your hair reaches 'normal' (the balance between those two extremes) and it depends on your hair and how 'over-protienated' (totally making up words) it is how long you need to do it and how much moisture it needs.

Does that make more sense?

honeybadgirl

honeybadgirl - just with additional DC's/baggying/cowashing - and I kept using my 'normal' leave-ins....

Tenacious - :lol: I didn't mean to go that far to the other end of the spectrum.

Hrm. I see too much protien as one end of a spectrum (hard & brittle) and too much moisture at the other end (soft and mushy). If your hair is already hard & brittle from too much protien, you want to push it towards being soft and mushy, but you stop 'overmoisturing' once your hair reaches 'normal' (the balance between those two extremes) and it depends on your hair and how 'over-protienated' (totally making up words) it is how long you need to do it and how much moisture it needs.

Does that make more sense?

thanks!!!!:grin:

ChocoKitty

I use Aphogee for Damaged Hair and just recently started using the Aphogee leave-in con. Whenever I use the 2-step treatment I DC overnight. I have not had any issues with breakage as a result. I have fine strands and Aphogee 2-step makes them stronger. Plus I use direct heat on occasion (at most once a week depending on my mood). I err on the side on treating my hair as if it were "damaged" to prevent any actual damage. I think natural hair can always benefit from a proper balance of protein and moisture.