Naturals and Protien?

Tif392002

Hey yall,

I have a question for natural ladies, do you use a protien treatment/product on your hair? I been reading about the balance of moisture and protien, but some naturals say they dont even use any protien products for thier hair. Today I bought Aphogee Keratin and Green Tea reconstructor, since my hair felt really soft last weekend ( i felt it needed a lil protien).Any advice and comments would be appreciated.

JustKiya

I rarely use protein products, because my hair doesn't really need it. When I do feel like my hair needs a bit of 'strengthening' - I use henna.

Taina

I don't use it because i don't see any difference in my hair when i do those treatments. My hair does not hate protein, but i guess it doent love it either. I eat a lot of proteins in my diet, maybe my hair doesnt need it and that's why i dont see difference at all.

Tif392002

I don't use it because i don't see any difference in my hair when i do those treatments. My hair does not hate protein, but i guess it doent love it either. I eat a lot of proteins in my diet, maybe my hair doesnt need it and that's why i dont see difference at all.

well im gonna try the Aphogee Keratin/ Green Tea with my next wash... maybe i will see a difffernce, cuz it seemed very soft like it needed some strength to it.... i dont eat too much protien. i ll see.

Neith

Hmmm...

I wonder if my diet could be a reason why my hair hates protein.

I eat a lot of protein! I like sweets, but I'm much more likely to reach for the steak than the chocolate cake. lol :)

Tif392002

Hmmm...

I wonder if my diet could be a reason why my hair hates protein.

I eat a lot of protein! I like sweets, but I'm much more likely to reach for the steak than the chocolate cake. lol :)

how do u know if your hair hates protien? yea i rather have a steak than cake too lol

Neith

how do u know if your hair hates protien? yea i rather have a steak than cake too lol

For me, my hair feels harder and very tangly... even with lighter protein conditioners, even though I follow up with a moisturizing conditioner.

Now I'm hungry because of the food talk, lol :eat:

Tif392002

For me, my hair feels harder and very tangly... even with lighter protein conditioners, even though I follow up with a moisturizing conditioner.

Now I'm hungry because of the food talk, lol :eat:

ok thanx, i used the 2-step aphogee treatment before and it seemed to be a lil too strong and my hair did feel harder and "tangly", maybe this one will work better since its milder.

GabbanaGirl

I only use protein as needed. For instance, if my hair has been over-moisturized, I do a light protein treatment prior to manipulating/styling my hair.

longhairlover

I actually read that natural hair does not need protein because unlike relaxed hair the natural strands are in tack and not broken down like relaxed hair. I read that if natural hair uses protein it is very easy for a protein overload and breakage.

so opt to use a very light protein if you feel you need it. unless you color, bkt or use any sort of chemicals on the hair you may need more protein.

hth.

chebaby

my hair loves protein. im a 3c and maybe my hair loves it because my hair is super fine. i use a co wash protein conditioner at least once a week. and i use giovanni direct leave in if i was a little protein to be left in. i also deep treat once a week with protein. even when i was relaxed all i used was joico k pak and my hair loved it.

right now im trying out organix coconut milk conditioner for my mid week co wash. all the other days i use moisture.

PPGbubbles

My hair hates regular protein but sometime i find it necessary.... I wear braids and weave very often and i find that time I remove them my hair is tooo soft

I like the aphogee 2 step.... I know its hard core but it does not leave my hair with that brittle feeling.

when I use it I no longer see lil broken hairs on wash day only shed hair

darlingdiva

I'm natural and my hair needs light but consistent doses of protein. It's very important for me to maintain that balance. I have to use protein every time water touches my hair, but it has to be a light protein (like AO GPB & Aphogee 2-min.).

TemiLnd

I only use protein as needed. For instance, if my hair has been over-moisturized, I do a light protein treatment prior to manipulating/styling my hair.

I completely agree. I only use it as needed, usually a henna treatment.
My hair can get a bit too soft and fluffy sometimes after lots of conditioning so I try to balance it out. But in truth, I could probably do without it.

testimony777

my hair loves protein. im a 3c and maybe my hair loves it because my hair is super fine. i use a co wash protein conditioner at least once a week. and i use giovanni direct leave in if i was a little protein to be left in. i also deep treat once a week with protein. even when i was relaxed all i used was joico k pak and my hair loved it.

right now im trying out organix coconut milk conditioner for my mid week co wash. all the other days i use moisture.

I totally feel the portion in bold. I deep condition once a week adding an egg or two to my regular conditioner that already has a light protein in it (AO GPB). I also henna once a month. At shorter lengths my hair doesn't really need protein but once I get around BSL my ends need it to stay healthy and strong.

Ronnieaj

I'm one of the coarse 4a heads who needs consistent protein. Every six weeks I alternate Emergencee and Aphogee 2-step, and my hair loves them both. My hair turns to mush even if using a light protein weekly, if I don't do a harder protein at that interval. I tried going no protein, and I tried doing all light protein, and neither of those worked for my hair. So I do my treatments every six weeks, and for me I've notice significantly increased growth and lessened breakage as a result. You really have to find the combination that works best for your hair :yep:.

tdwillis

I agree also. It totally depends on the type of hair. I am natural and my hair loves protein-the hard ones too. If you straighten often, you need more protein.

shocol

I'm straightening this winter, so I use the Aphogee Keratin and Green Tea and Megatek on my hair.

mscocoface

I am one of those who needs moisture waaaaaaaaay more than protein. So instead of me saying I am protein sensitive, I will say I am good on protein just need the moisture and will take it anyway possible.....creams, conditioners, leave in, homemade sprays, deep conditioners, regular store bought sprays, food grade items, heck even oils and sometimes just plain ole water will do.

Tif392002

I actually read that natural hair does not need protein because unlike relaxed hair the natural strands are in tack and not broken down like relaxed hair. I read that if natural hair uses protein it is very easy for a protein overload and breakage.

so opt to use a very light protein if you feel you need it. unless you color, bkt or use any sort of chemicals on the hair you may need more protein.

hth.

ok gotcha, i actually think i over moisturized it saturday ... and i also read the same things on protien on natural hair , about the bonds being intact." yea, i will use the keratin green tea reconstructor and see what happens... thantx for your input.

Tif392002

yall have me thinking, since some of yall's hair tend to like more moisture than protien, maybe my hair is the other way around?? because now that i think about it , it seem my hair is always mushy or to soft after i do my deep condition.

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
My hair is 4b, very fine, and I wear braid extensions so I know my hair is sometimes weak. I have found it better to keep the balance instead of waiting for it to veer of onto one side. My balance seems to be a 3:1 ratio of moisture to protein. I mostly get my protein from extensive deep conditioning treatments and use moisture on a daily basis with my leave ins.

Bettina

I used to use protein treatments/reconstructors--because my hair is fine and it really did benefit from them ---I used to get breakage w/o it even when my hair was properly moisturized;(wanted to get away from sillicones and other ingredients my hair does'nt need) now I use henna glosses to strengthen my fine strands and could not be happier :)

chebaby

yall have me thinking, since some of yall's hair tend to like more moisture than protien, maybe my hair is the other way around?? because now that i think about it , it seem my hair is always mushy or to soft after i do my deep condition.
my hair is like this. its very easily overmoisturized. and if i go more than 2 weeks without an protein my hair is a mess. the curls are very frizzy and mushy to the touch. you just have to know what works for you.
when i first went natural i just new it was gonna be moisture moisture moisture but now i see its not that way for me. i use a lot of light protein. i really havent used a heavy protein as of yet.

Jetblackhair

I use protein on a regular basis as my fine hair needs the strength protein provides. Leaning too far on the moisture side causes breakage for my hair (4a).

kblc06

I also find that my fine hair LOVES protein. I can use Joico K-Pak Reconstructor conditioner regularly, and my hair has no problems. If I go awhile without using a protein reconstructor, it becomes much harder to get my hair to retain moisture. But my hair is also very finicky and I've heard the same from other type 3s/and fine stranded individuals