Naturals are you dreading fall and winter ?

honeisos

Ok so I start almost everyday with my hair slightly damp or wet from a wash and go ..
I am so not looking forward to the cold ...
Here in NYC it was 59 degrees this morning !
... fall is coming fast and I'm not a happy camper about finding a new way to wear my hair for fall,cause I get so lazy
.. My hair spent last winter in a massive knotted bun under a hat :nono: and I refused to do that this year .. I really want to get to MBL already ! :wallbash:

glam-

I know what you mean. Sitting around with damp hair is not good for winter- plus the air is so dry. My hair much prefers spring and summer.

basketballbabe03

Fall and winter are not nice to natural hair. Especially since I like to use shea butter. But, when I walk out the house with shea butter in my hair, in cold temperatures it's gets hard. :sad: When the weather gets cold, I get braid extensions.

Leeda.the.Paladin

This is going to be my first cold season as a natural, so I really don't know how this is going to go lol. I think though I will probably do mostly protective styles, with lots of heavy butters and creams for moisture. It will be interesting to see what my hair does.

LunadeMiel

Not really. I Bced in february of this year when it was still very cold. I cowashed everyday and will continue to do so. My car is 10 steps from my deck so I don't spend that much time out there....:grin:

Last edited:

TaraDyan

Natural again ... this time for good!
Although this will be my first winter as a natural, I'm not worried about it. I used to co-wash in the winter all the time when I was transitioning.

honeisos

I've been natural for 4 years and I have co washed in the winter as well ...My hair never ever looks as good as it does in the spring/summer ..
.. My hair gets hard the the products don't work well and my head is cold lol..
The winter is not a game in NYC :look:..
Will most likely wash at night... shingle and finger curl it .. then pray it dries by the morning:yep:

I envy you guys in the south .. the south is wash and go heaven lol

Last edited:

~~HoneyComb~~

Ok so I start almost everyday with my hair slightly damp or wet from a wash and go ..
... fall is coming fast and I'm not a happy camper about finding a new way to wear my hair for fall,cause I get so lazy
.. My hair spent last winter in a massive knotted bun under a hat :nono: and I refused to do that this year .. I really want to get to MBL already ! :wallbash:

For the past few winters, when my hair was longer, during the winters I did flat twist-outs, buns or ponytails so that my hair wouldn't be wet in the morning.

Eclass215

Nope - I love fall and winter better! Summer is what I hate. I like to wear my hair pressed sometimes so humidity is not my friend. Wintertime gives me so many more options in terms of styles since it's not humid out. I stopped doing WNG's a long time ago though, so I do understand the frustration in that.

1QTPie

Elder Sim
Nope. I just wear a hat. The cold doesn't really affect my hair wet or dry. I always keep is moisturized so it's all good.

Nonie

No, I'll probably be in braids, and I too wear a hat when outdoors in the winter...so I'm not worried at all.

truequeen06

I'm in LA for the semester and our winters are mild / nonexistent compared to the east coast. My previous 2 winters were spent in DC and I didn't know what to do with myself or my hair. Between my hair rubbing against my wool coat, having the heat on full blast and trying to do a wash n go in the dead of winter, I'm surprised I even have any hair left lol.

imstush

I couldn't believe that when I looked at the weather this morning.:nono:

Anyhoo I will do what I do now co wash once or twice a week or rollerset once a week...leave it in a braid. My braid will probably be redone every other day or every third day because I will live in a scarf and hat until i get into work.

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
This is why I don't wear wng's in the winter:nono:. I refuse to have wet hair in the cold.

After many years I have found a way to wear wash n' go's without having to wet it in the morning. It's working pretty well and I think I might be able to get through the winter with it....we'll see.

tadeja

As the temperature has dipped I've been wearing a modifies wash 'n go. I do everything that I would normally do but then I put on a little net, and sit under my dryer for 10-15 minutes. I dries and sets my coils and I can eat breakfast under there or take a little nap.

KweenBeeDiva

YES LAWDY! Since I'm down in Hades (aka GA.), and depending on the climate changes/shifts/what have you, it gets very cold come November. The air is dry, or it's raining nasty, polluted water, so I'm planning on weaving it up until 2009.

discodumpling

Nope not dreading as long as my head is warm...I like scarves, hats, wraps and my hair gets a break from all my out styles.

Qetesh

last winter i did mostly braid outs where i would wash my hair at night braid in in 3 braids and then just wear it like that until i washed it again the next week. braiding it in 2 braids at night.

perviously i got blow outs mostly all winter with 1-3 week breaks inbetween. this winter i am going to do the blow outs again. i find that my hair while still fragile straight just behaves better for me if i keep it straight during the cold months. also it doesn't revert easily.

Coolata

As the temperature has dipped I've been wearing a modifies wash 'n go. I do everything that I would normally do but then I put on a little net, and sit under my dryer for 10-15 minutes. I dries and sets my coils and I can eat breakfast under there or take a little nap.

This is what I have been considering and a great way to get some use of my PIBB 514.

cmw45

Thank you to the OP. I live in upstate NY and it is getting cold here. As I was reading this it reminded me to set up an appointment to get my hair braided...it's happening this Sunday.

Southernbella.

This is going to be my first cold season as a natural, so I really don't know how this is going to go lol. I think though I will probably do mostly protective styles, with lots of heavy butters and creams for moisture. It will be interesting to see what my hair does.

This is my first cold season too. I'm not really concerned about it, though. I'll do less wash n gos...I'll probably rock twists a lot (now that my hair is getting longer, my twists look better), I'll straighten every now and then, and maybe do lots of twistouts so I can rock big hair with my fall clothes (fall is my favorite fashion season:grin:).