NATURALS:DETANGLING ROUTINES, PRODUCTS AND TOOLS?

Mandy4610

My hair is getting longer and detangling is becoming more and more time consuming.
Here is what I currently do:

1 Prepoo with oil or light protein condish
2 Shampoo
3 DC with moisturizing condish
4 Slather some more condish (cheapie for this)
5 detangle in small sections with a wide tooth comb.

This routine was working fine until a couple of washes ago, so today I decided to change it up a little:

1 Prepoo with AO GPB
2 Shampoo with natures gate shampoo
3 DC with AO HSR
4 Rinse
5 Apply lots of Suave tropical coconut (and I mean lots)
6 Detangle with a Denman brush
7 Have patience (sat down in the tub even:grin:)
8 Part hair in sections while condish is still on and make 6 braids
9 Rinse while hair is braided

The denman brush seems to work really well and felt like there was less pulling and tagging than when I use a widetooth comb. I have to use it again to say for sure.

I did not have a lot of hair in the brush after, pretty much the same as when I use a comb. My hair definitely felt better with the Denman even though it takes longer.

I also used way more Suave tropical coconut than I did before. I am telling you ladies, you cannot go wrong with this product.

Please share your detangleing routine, products and tools, videos or whatever info you have on this matter.

TIA

BeetleBug

This is what I do most of the time

1. Divide hair into 4 sections
2. Wet and apply Suave conditioner to that section
3. Detangle w/ wide toothed comb.
4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 for remaining sections
5. Rinse out conditioner

On rare occasions, I will do a quick detangle in the shower w/o sectioning.

msa

Well I don't detangle in the shower...it wastes water, it would take way too long and be uncomfortable, I don't like hair getting caught in the drain, and I would rush through it and not be gentle.

So, I detangle my hair after I've finished washing and conditioning...I take my time and sit on the couch so that I can be comfortable.

My routine:
1. Oil with coconut oil and make some big braids. I make sure there are no large knots or tangles and do a quick finger detangle as I braid.
2. Wash/condition in the shower with the braids in.
3. Get out of the shower and dry my hair a bit so that it's not soaking wet.
4. Sit down, add some moisturizer and oil to each braid and detangle each one. I'm gentle, I'm able to do small sections, and I can take breaks as much as I want without wasting water. Also, because I'm able to take my time I use less product. When I did it in the shower I would pile on conditioner to make it easier which was a waste of money.

My hair isn't long now...but I figured I may as well establish a routine that will work when it does get longer. I can't imagine staying in the shower for the amount of time it takes for me to detangle my hair:nono:.

Nayna

Unbothered
I usually finger detangle my hair into 4 sections and braid them up. I may or may not pre-poo depending on if it's a cowash (no prepoo) or a shampoo (maybe if I'm in the mood with olive oil). I then shampoo. After that I wrap a towel around it to get excess water out then I dc (I take the braids out one by one to put condish in and rebraid it). After that if it feels nice I rinse, towel dry put a leave in(water based followed by a creamy one), follow with my sealer and let it get mostly dry. Then I style. Maybe. Sometimes I just leave them in the 4 dookie braids, lol.

If it doesn't feel all that great I follow with another conditioner. I use different products depending on what my hair needs that's why I didn't list products.
My routine is usually the same and if my hair really needs to be combed I use a shower comb usually after the dc but before I rinse it out. I'm trying to start dcing on dryish clean hair. I tried it the other day with AO white camelia and it came out quite juicy. Lol. I think I'll start doing that more often.

I read Chicoro's book and that helped a lot with my detangling sessions and putting my hair into insections helped cut out knots and tangles. Braiding also helps my hair dry stretched.

MizzBrit

i love your hair mandy!
reminds it of mines

to detangle i:

section my hair in 4-6 plaits
wet plait under water
take aloose one plait one
apply conditioner(herbal essences hello hydration)
detangle section
plait it back up
move on to the next plait and repeat
then once im all done.rinse head with cold water

vivEz daNs lamouR

I detangle every time I wash which is usually every day or at the very least, every other day.

1. Saturate hair with water and fingercomb knots out (the water pressure also 'melts' a good portion of my tangles)

2. Apply conditioner (usually HE HH or Dove Go Energy Essentials)

3. Fingercomb through

4. Detangle under running water with Denman D4 brush.

5. Put shower cap on soaking wet hair for post-wash application of products.

Jetblackhair

I detangle before I get in the shower.

-I divide my hair in 6 sections.
-Spray on Dew or conditioner water.
-Finger comb first and then use my wide tooth comb.
-Braid each section as I complete it.
-Wash hair in 6 plaits.
-Deep condition 30 min. w/ heat.
-Rinse and then apply a moisturizing conditioner, rinse.
-Get out of the shower undo braids and comb through hair. This is easy to do because I have already detangled.
-Apply my leave in & styling products and put my hair in twists.

Urban

I'm usually have my own hair in braids or twists. My routine:

1) Pre-poo with oil (usually EVOO)
2) Dilute shampoo
3) Undo braids/twists under a running showerhead
4) Make 6-8 thicker braids and apply conditioner to each one
5) Unbraid each section and finger comb/ detangle as I go

This is if I'm doing a solely detangling session. If not, between step 2 and 3 I'd apply egg or cassia.

natural_one

I find detangling is easy if i let the conditioner sit a little beforehand..When my hair was longer I never had a problem detangling if I did that.

Before I would detangle in the shower, but not that my hair is longer I detangle after getting out of the shower. I use a wide tooth, then smaller tooth comber. I twist each section after detangling. I make sure my hair is wet. I use a leave-in conditioner or moisturizer.

Rei

my hair isn't that long (CBL), so this is why this works for me. Also I live in an apt where water is included, lol so thats ALSO why this works for me.

1. separate hair into sections (usually 4-6)
2. get in shower, wet whole head, (sections are pinned apart)
3. slather each section with cheap conditioner (I use HE HH, and bought the HUGE bottle)
4. detangle carefully each section in the shower with a wide tooth comb, and then my denman (denman only while water is running through my hair)
5. braid each section when I'm done with it so it doesn't tangle again while I'm doin the others
6. separate and coat each detangled braid with DC (AO HSR) and rebraid.
7. put on a baggie and do whatever for as long as I feel like (usually 1.5 hours)
8. rinse hair in braids and then airdry
9. when braids are slightly damp, undo braids, put in leave in and moisturizer and oil, then rebraid into slightly smaller braids and go to sleep. In the morning, stretched hair!

This works for me because of the length of my hair. I can see when my hair gets longer that this will be annoying, but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. Also, honestly my hair doesn't get THAT tangled, because I wear it stretched 99% of the time (by braids)

AfroKink

Mine is different that others posted. I can't detangle then wash... unless I want to detangle again after. In fact, detangling wet doesn't do anything for me. Here's what I do

After washing and DCing I towel blot my hair. I put on Kinky Curly Knot today and detangle usually with my fingers and twist that section, and roll it into a bantu knot. I repeat this all over my head and wait for it to fully dry in bantu knots. After it's dry, I style.

Lys

Soliel185

I actually detangle BEFORE I wash/condition rather than after...I've actually found it to be pretty easy this way.

First I spray my hair with plain water, or diluted conditioner :)love: Suave Tropical Coconut)

Then I apply Amla Oil. I keep it in a applicator bottle so I can get to the scalp and I work this down the length with my fingers.

Once the oil and water are on my hair, and I easily use my fingers to put it in sections - usually about 6 - and braid or pin them.

The Amla Oil softens my hair drastically after even just a few minutes - I detangle section by section with my fingers, then a shower comb, and finally a detangling comb - rebraid or twist and then wash or apply DC if I'm deep conditioning.

Mandy4610

i love your hair mandy!
reminds it of mines

to detangle i:

wet plait under water
detangle section
plait it back up
Thank you so much. Your hair looks lovely too:grin:

pre-poo with olive oil
detangle with denman
poo (aowc/ giovanni moisture silk/ bentonite clay) or co-wash
dt (pantene r&n and aohsr0
detangle (hehh) using kcutter (just bought it bout to try it)
condish (dessert essence shea/jojoba or paul mitchell tea tree/ aowc)

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
Mandy, your hair is getting so long!:spinning::yep: Go 'head with your bad self!:wink2: Awesome thread! I will need this as my NG grows out.

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
-i separate my hair into four sections
-coat each with any random oil that i don't really like (i'm trying to use up my sunflower oil)
-shampoo with Aussie Moist shampoo
-condition with Aussie Moist conditioner, let it sit while i shower
-detangle each section with my fingers, then the wide-tooth comb

i feel the key is the Aussie Moist-that stuff is amazing!! even the shampoo has slip-last night i tried detangling with SHAMPOO, and it worked!!

YankeeCandle

I can't believe people with tightly curled or coiled hair can have success with a brush! I looked up pics of the Denman and was surprised that it was that flimsy old thing I've seen lying in the bucket of never-usd hair tools my sisters/mom use to have in the bathroom.

How can this item hold up to serious detangling?

bablou00

Here lately Ive been..
1. Seperate hair into four sections
2. Prepoo with coconut oil the night before or rt before a big detangle
3. finger comb each section with a lot of conditioner added to each section
4. DT with hair in sections
5. Then detangle w/fingers rinsing out the DT

Katherina

i love your hair mandy!
reminds it of mines

to detangle i:

wet plait under water
detangle section
plait it back up

me 2!! but usually 6 braids :grin:

LynnieB

I have a Denman and stopped using it months ago and use a very large toothed comb instead (I've been sleeping on K-cutter combs - they are WONDERFUL!!!).

I also detangle before I get my hair wet in the shower.

Spritz hair with water/conditioner mix. Watery cons are great or I just dilute a favorite thick conditioner with alot of water.
Separate hair into 4-6 sections with the pointy end of a rat tail comb and clip them out of the way. By that time the water/con mix has softened the hair.

Detangle "dampish" hair one section at a time. Depending on how tangly it is, it takes anywhere between 5-30 minutes.

Step in shower. Wash. Get out the shower. Condition one section at a time and retwist. If I'm conditioning or deep conditioning I step out the shower, throw on a towel, apply conditioner to each section and either rinse out in a few minutes or get dressed (if deep conditioning) walk around with a shower cap for an hour or if it's late, just go to bed w/it then rinse out in the morning.

Style hair.

If I wore my hair in twists then I'll grab a seat somwhere :grin:, spritz with water/con mix and undo each twist, detangling as I go along, always clipping up a detangled twist before moving on to the next one.

Might sound complicated but it's not. I've grown my hair out doing it like this. Detangling before getting in the shower takes the longest so I do it outside the shower and it saves ALOT of time and I don't have to rush through any knots or tangles. If I can get that done then it only takes about 8 minutes total shower time to wash and rinse out conditioner.

anon123

There are many ways I can do it, but the main difference between for me and a lot of the routines is that in order to do a thorough job, I have to do much smaller sections. No less than 20, preferably closer to 30. I've tried 6 or 8 sections and even if I spend 10 minutes each section, my hair will still be tangled and there will still be a lot of shed hair left in. Trying to do it in the shower is hopeless!

Other than that, what I do varies. In part it depends on what products I want to use. Usually when I DC, I detangle before washing. Otherwise, I might detangle after.

Priss Pot

Makeup + Bench Pressing
If doing a co-wash daily, I will just detangle with my Jilbere. But on the days that I shampoo, I will detangle with my Jilbere first, then again with a smaller tooth comb.
One that looks just like this:

I will detangle using either Elucence Moisture Balancing Conditioner or TIGI Moisture Maniac Conditioner.

miss_a

I am so glad you made this thread...I am about 22 weeks post relaxer, le sigh. AND I have never stretched this long in my life.

What I have been doing is:
Detangle dry hair, braid into 8 braids.
Get into the shower-undo each braid, add shampoo, wash shampoo out, then rebraid the braid. Then move on the remaining 7 braids.

Then add Aphogee 2 min reconstructer, undo each braid. Add product. Then rebraid all 8 braids.

Then wash out each braid. Rebraid. Then undo each braid, and apply Siicon Mix/Olive Oil product. Then sit. Then wash Silicon/Olive Mix out of each braid, THEN rebraid. Then detangle with KBB Hair Milk, then rebraid. NEEDLESS to say. And if you're still reading! THIS CHICA is tired, after a wash day.

Ladies--can I simplify this method?

Can I braid hair in 8 sections. Then wash with shampoo, while in braids. THEN rinse shampoo, while in braids. Then use reconstructer, while in braids. THEN rinse reconstructer, while in braids. Then use Silicon/Olive Mix, while in braids. THEN rinse, while in braids? My hair tends to mat and loc easily--so I am a little afraid, here.

(All this typing of my routine, has worn me out!).

Be easy ladies.

~A.

msa

I am so glad you made this thread...I am about 22 weeks post relaxer, le sigh. AND I have never stretched this long in my life.

What I have been doing is:
Detangle dry hair, braid into 8 braids.
Get into the shower-undo each braid, add shampoo, wash shampoo out, then rebraid the braid. Then move on the remaining 7 braids.

Then add Aphogee 2 min reconstructer, undo each braid. Add product. Then rebraid all 8 braids.

Then wash out each braid. Rebraid. Then undo each braid, and apply Siicon Mix/Olive Oil product. Then sit. Then wash Silicon/Olive Mix out of each braid, THEN rebraid. Then detangle with KBB Hair Milk, then rebraid. NEEDLESS to say. And if you're still reading! THIS CHICA is tired, after a wash day.

Ladies--can I simplify this method?

Can I braid hair in 8 sections. Then wash with shampoo, while in braids. THEN rinse shampoo, while in braids. Then use reconstructer, while in braids. THEN rinse reconstructer, while in braids. Then use Silicon/Olive Mix, while in braids. THEN rinse, while in braids? My hair tends to mat and loc easily--so I am a little afraid, here.

(All this typing of my routine, has worn me out!).

Be easy ladies.

~A.

I was just going to ask you why you're doing so much. That just sounds crazy.

When you first braid the hair, make sure you do it with a little bit of tension...making the braids loose encourages matting/tangles. And since you detangle before you start, your hair will stay detangled. If you have to, put a clip or an ouchless band at the end of the braids so that they stay in.

Then, there's no reason to unbraid at each step. Just add product, rinse, and move on to the next thing. I wish I would try to braid and unbraid 8 brads, 4 times:lachen: hell to the naw.

And when you're done rinsing the Silicon mix...when you get out of the shower pat your hair down so that it's not soaking wet...and then add your KBB. If you want to do a quick comb through at that point, you can, but it shouldn't take long. If you start out with well done braids in the beginning, you should be able to keep them in the whole time and not have to take them out until your hair is dry.

chebaby

i pre poo with conditioner or oil
hop in the shower and shampoo, rinse
slather hair in moisturizing coniditioner and detangle with a wide tooth comb and then my denman brush, rinse
apply light protein conditioner, rinse

then apply leave in and style. my hair isnt that long but its getting longer and my left side gets tangled much more than the right. i have to use a lot more conditioner now but its worth it so i can keep my hair on my head

chebaby

i have a k-cutter comb but i dont know how i will use it yet. i dont think i would use it in the shower but i dont know. i will try it out this weekend.