NATURALS:DETANGLING ROUTINES, PRODUCTS AND TOOLS?

Daughter

UK Blak
i love your hair mandy!
reminds it of mines

to detangle i:

section my hair in 4-6 plaits
wet plait under water
take aloose one plait one
apply conditioner(herbal essences hello hydration)
detangle section
plait it back up
move on to the next plait and repeat
then once im all done.rinse head with cold water

^^^
I detangle pretty much the same way, except at the moment I'm using a cheapie conditioner from Boots. I have to put on plenty to gently detangle my hair, firstly with fingers, then with a wide toothed comb.

ETA: I've been seeing a lot about k-cutter combs. I haven't seen them in my part of London, can someone give me a link to the pic of one they use? I've seen one on eBay that I might order. TIA! :)

Last edited:

CenteredGirl

I prepoo my hair overnight with shea butter, one egg, a bit of coconut oil and a dab of lanolin. I beat it together with a mixer for a fluffy texture.

Since I have been doing this, I don't need to detangle.

I only wash my hair every 6 weeks.

LynnieB

^^^
I detangle pretty much the same way, except at the moment I'm using a cheapie conditioner from Boots. I have to put on plenty to gently detangle my hair, firstly with fingers, then with a wide toothed comb.

ETA: I've been seeing a lot about k-cutter combs. I haven't seen them in my part of London, can someone give me a link to the pic of one they use? I've seen one on eBay that I might order. TIA! :)

Mine's similar to this: http://www.ebonyline.com/britprofkcut.html

I LOVE's it. It looks like a steel tool of hair torture but it's not :grin:. I think the thinness of the "teeth" make it easier to get through dense, coily hair (even the biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiig toothed kind (http://images24.fotki.com/v829/photos/9/988042/4761041/DSCN0895-vi.jpg).

Whatever you do, don't try to rake it through your hair. Small sections, gentle downward/picking motion and if you run into a snarl, turn the comb sideways and use like you would the pointy end of a rat tail to pick out the snarl.

discodumpling

Dry detangling routine: Section hair. Saturate with oil (jojoba, EVOO, or coconut) of the moment. Take time & comb through each section with a wide tooth comb, then a small (tail) comb. Plait.

Wet routine: Saturate with water, saturate with cheapie moisturizing condish, comb through with wide tooth comb. Section hair, comb through with tail comb. Plait.

My routine depends solely on the state and style of my hair prior to washing. ie. how many days have I worn it out! As my hair grows my detangling is getting easier (or am I getting lazier? LOL!)

djkforeal

I am so glad you made this thread...I am about 22 weeks post relaxer, le sigh. AND I have never stretched this long in my life.

What I have been doing is:
Detangle dry hair, braid into 8 braids.
Get into the shower-undo each braid, add shampoo, wash shampoo out, then rebraid the braid. Then move on the remaining 7 braids.

Then add Aphogee 2 min reconstructer, undo each braid. Add product. Then rebraid all 8 braids.

Then wash out each braid. Rebraid. Then undo each braid, and apply Siicon Mix/Olive Oil product. Then sit. Then wash Silicon/Olive Mix out of each braid, THEN rebraid. Then detangle with KBB Hair Milk, then rebraid. NEEDLESS to say. And if you're still reading! THIS CHICA is tired, after a wash day.

Ladies--can I simplify this method?

Can I braid hair in 8 sections. Then wash with shampoo, while in braids. THEN rinse shampoo, while in braids. Then use reconstructer, while in braids. THEN rinse reconstructer, while in braids. Then use Silicon/Olive Mix, while in braids. THEN rinse, while in braids? My hair tends to mat and loc easily--so I am a little afraid, here.

(All this typing of my routine, has worn me out!).

Be easy ladies.

~A.
I am new to this site but it sounds like you do a lot to your fragile hair on wash days. From what I have been reading you should be able to do all of those steps in braids. I can't imagine having to deal with two extremely different textures in my hair, I alrealy have enough trouble dealing with my own natural hair alone. Just be gentle and try not to manipulate that hair so much. IMO