Naturals: Do you get paranoid when you straighten your hair?

Faith

I used to be until I found SMB and started DCing every time and now that I have turned the heat down even lower I'm pretty confident that my hair is ok

Faith

Another thing I'm paranoid about is why I see more short broken hairs while I am straightening. I still haven't figured this one out. Does this happen to anyone else?
I used to see a lot too until I started SMB and stopped doing the comb chase method plus again I DC every time.

momi

I used to worry about it because my texture really changed with the weekly flat ironing. Someone on this board hipped me to natural rollersetting and my texture is back to normal now... I just rollerset and saran wrap it.

My curl pattern has completely come back!

empressri

i thought i was the only one! mind you, i used to use a marcel iron MYSELF. now i have a sedu and tons of protectants but im always paranoid after wearing my hair straight and then washing it. i swear that my texture looks looser :lachen:the paranoia doesn't go away until at least 3 more washes.

msa

There's no way I'll be straightening my hair any time soon. I remember what it took to press my hair straight back when I used to go every few weeks and how my texture never really reverted.

The most I may do is get a rollerset under a hooded dryer. For now, I'll stick with airdrying.

lilsparkle825

I actually open my shower and stick my head out to see my hair in the mirror, just to make sure my napps are back.:lol:

I do miss wetting my hair every day when my hair is straight and when I finally get to jump in the shower and wet my hair I get all happy when I feel the curls come back LOL So corny, I know.
thaaaaaat's me :yep:

i did a ton of research before i started flat ironing my hair, and i have used each of the 5 or 6 times i have straightened since the BC to tweak my regimen. this past time it came out the best. i took a tip from SouthernTease and do a protein treatment before straightening; i don't know why it works for me, but it does.

Jetblackhair

I used to see a lot too until I started SMB and stopped doing the comb chase method plus again I DC every time.

That's good you were able to find a method to stop the breakage. I hope I find mine soon.

SMB kind of makes my hair feel brittle and definitely keeps out the moisture but it doesn't lock it in for me.

ADB

Nope I don't get paranoid. :nono: My hair has always been able to take a lot of heat with no damage.

Faith

That's good you were able to find a method to stop the breakage. I hope I find mine soon.

SMB kind of makes my hair feel brittle and definitely keeps out the moisture but it doesn't lock it in for me.

You may not have enough moisture in your hair before you lock it in. What is your regimen before you flatiron? Like many others I do a protein treatment then I DC (I also use ayurvedic powders). My hair is finally behaving.

luckiestdestiny

I used to be until I found SMB and started DCing every time and now that I have turned the heat down even lower I'm pretty confident that my hair is ok

You couldn't have said it better. When I straighten I don't worry. I just use my sabino and move on. Of course I wash condition and dc of course, though every week.

glamazon386

Yep, and after stepping out of the shower and looking in the mirror, I breathe a sigh of relief when I see my curls again.

Another thing I'm paranoid about is why I see more short broken hairs while I am straightening. I still haven't figured this one out. Does this happen to anyone else?

I think it's one strand knots breaking off. I noticed the same thing when I had highlights - not so much now. But I was getting knots because the dye was making my hair dry and then when I flat ironed, it was breaking off at the knot and leaving short pieces behind.

lawyer2be371

Yeah I feel you, I had my hair straight since April 1st,but yesterday I said I need my curls back so I washed today I pulled back with a head band and every body booed, and complained!!! BUT I DONT GO CARE I'm HAPPY I see myself straightening again until maybe End of July or September

chocolate01

Nope not nervous at all. I am confident in my myself and my technique and I know what my hair can handle. I do go the salon sometimes but I've known my stylist for years and she's natural also so I trust her.

TwistNMx

Yes :ohwell: Once it's straight and see how long it is, I'm over it. It usually only takes a few days.

I'm the same way. :yep:
I get nervous when I straighten even though I use heat protectant but I still feel like it's not protected enough, and I use a low setting.
I only straighten every 8 to 10 weeks to check and trim.
I find that I don't know what to do with my hair when it's straight after a day or two, so I wind up washing right away.

mscocoface

So I don't need to see a psychiatrist about my stupid thoughts then? Well good. I just did this and I am sooooo paranoid. I was soo careful and have been worrying. I am putting oils in it now and by wash day I will do a hot oil treatment, deep condition and and aphogee treatment within 48 hours of that.

I have been pinning my hair up since Sunday and was wondering what will I do with this stuff when it is the length or for my hair girth that I want?

Lots of mental shifts and adjustments going on in the mscocoface household these last few days.

SEMO

Update:

Well I washed and deep conditioned my hair yesterday and my curls came back like normal. I do admit that I was still paranoid as I was wetting my hair (I used a spray bottle to wet my hair before applying conditioner as a pre-poo). I was anxiously waiting for my hair to curl back up and was so happy when my curls re-appeared. And I deep conditioned after washing, which is something I normally don't do (though I probably should every once in a while).

I'm me regardless of whether my hair is straight or curly but since being natural these last few years I've really gotten used to seeing myself with curly hair. I would have been really sad if parts of my hair didn't curl back up. But I guess healthy hair is resilient. :)

SEMO

So I don't need to see a psychiatrist about my stupid thoughts then? Well good. I just did this and I am sooooo paranoid. I was soo careful and have been worrying. I am putting oils in it now and by wash day I will do a hot oil treatment, deep condition and and aphogee treatment within 48 hours of that.

I have been pinning my hair up since Sunday and was wondering what will I do with this stuff when it is the length or for my hair girth that I want?

Lots of mental shifts and adjustments going on in the mscocoface household these last few days.

They're not stupid thoughts. And I feel you on putting extra stuff in your hair. I got so paranoid at one point that I spraying, moisturizing and sealing with oil so much that I thought I'd revert my hair before even washing it. :spinning:

Jetblackhair

You may not have enough moisture in your hair before you lock it in. What is your regimen before you flatiron? Like many others I do a protein treatment then I DC (I also use ayurvedic powders). My hair is finally behaving.

You know I don't think I did a protein treatment before I used SMB. I deep conditioned (moisture) and then used a leave in. I will try adding a protein treatment next time.

Thanks Faith!

I think it's one strand knots breaking off. I noticed the same thing when I had highlights - not so much now. But I was getting knots because the dye was making my hair dry and then when I flat ironed, it was breaking off at the knot and leaving short pieces behind.

Oh the dreaded one strand knots! I think you may have found my problem. Thanks Glam!

Update:

Well I washed and deep conditioned my hair yesterday and my curls came back like normal. I do admit that I was still paranoid as I was wetting my hair (I used a spray bottle to wet my hair before applying conditioner as a pre-poo). I was anxiously waiting for my hair to curl back up and was so happy when my curls re-appeared. And I deep conditioned after washing, which is something I normally don't do (though I probably should every once in a while).

I'm me regardless of whether my hair is straight or curly but since being natural these last few years I've really gotten used to seeing myself with curly hair. I would have been really sad if parts of my hair didn't curl back up. But I guess healthy hair is resilient. :)

Yay, isn't it refreshing to have your curls spring back at you... :yep:

JinaRicci

I'm so scared that I haven't done it yet-bought a curling iron last month & everything to celebrate my 1 year natural mark. My fear is mostly about losing the progress from this past year.

Oh and I don't miss the curling iron burns from my HOT n gold dropping from my slippery (silicone) hands! Maybe I'll do it this wknd...

SEMO

I'm so scared that I haven't done it yet-bought a curling iron last month & everything to celebrate my 1 year natural mark. My fear is mostly about losing the progress from this past year.

Oh and I don't miss the curling iron burns from my HOT n gold dropping from my slippery (silicone) hands! Maybe I'll do it this wknd...
Good luck. Remember to use a heat protectant. ;)

SEMO

You know I don't think I did a protein treatment before I used SMB. I deep conditioned (moisture) and then used a leave in. I will try adding a protein treatment next time.

Thanks Faith!

Oh the dreaded one strand knots! I think you may have found my problem. Thanks Glam!

Yay, isn't it refreshing to have your curls spring back at you... :yep:

It truly was. I was so happy and relieved.

Kismet79

So scared, in fact, that I haven't straightened my hair. My plan was to do it on my nappiversary (March 27th), but I chickened out. Now the new date is my birthday (July 21).

Chriselle83

I'm newly natural and I worry too. Just last week I wore my hair straight. I did it myself and it was bone, looking like I'm fresh out of the salon straight. I was so worried my curls wouldn't come back, or worse yet, only some. My hair collects oil fast too, and I was worried that the weight of the oil in my hair combined with me wrapping it everynight and combing it everyday would make it shed. I just washed it this morning and the curls felt so good coming back. I rubbed some Fantasia leave in in it and let it do its thang.

QUESTION:
Does anyone else feel like brushing your hair everyday can change your curl pattern? For work I brush the front everyday and put a headband on, but I feel like the texture is changing. Am I tripping or has anyone else noticed this too?

Jenibo

Heck yes! I have a spot in my nape that won't curl up again from the last time i got my hair pressed- which was about 6 or 7 months ago

PearlyCurly

I'm newly natural and I worry too. Just last week I wore my hair straight. I did it myself and it was bone, looking like I'm fresh out of the salon straight. I was so worried my curls wouldn't come back, or worse yet, only some. My hair collects oil fast too, and I was worried that the weight of the oil in my hair combined with me wrapping it everynight and combing it everyday would make it shed. I just washed it this morning and the curls felt so good coming back. I rubbed some Fantasia leave in in it and let it do its thang.

QUESTION:
Does anyone else feel like brushing your hair everyday can change your curl pattern? For work I brush the front everyday and put a headband on, but I feel like the texture is changing. Am I tripping or has anyone else noticed this too?

You could also be causing breakage! What kind of brush are you brushing with??

Anyway i remember when i first put heat on my natural hair(its was like 3wks ago)..i was sooooo scared, i only got threw 1 section(blow drying) and then i panicked, re-wet my hair, then drowned my hair in conditioner:lachen: I will never put heat on my hair again..well until the next time!:lachen:

Mook's hair

I am paranoid about flat ironing. But I have lost my blow dryer paranoia.

I've come to terms with having controlled heat blow drying be a part of my routine.

Jenibo

HECK YES!! I still have a spot in my nape that won't curl back up after the last time I got my hair pressed- and that was about 6-7months ago

Chriselle83

You could also be causing breakage! What kind of brush are you brushing with??

A regular $2.49 brush I've had for years. One with plastic bristles. I never thought about changing brushes though... you think with reading so much good info on here it would've dawned on me... off to put a search in for brushes for naturals. Thanks!