Naturals...how do you wear your hair to bed? Got pics?

zzirvingj

I've been wanting to wear my hair out and natural rather than pressed lately. I've never been one to do that much at its current length.

I know alot of naturals plait or twist their hair and just undo it in the morning...is that how you do it?

How many twists or braids do you do, and is that on dry hair or after conditioner washing it in the shower before bed...?

Any pics? (If you have any pics of how you wear it bed *and* how it looks in the morning afterwards that would be great)

Nubenap22

I'm a new natural (Sep 2010) and I've been having success mosisturizing and either finger comb or use a wide tooth comb. then fat or medium twist then kind of Bantu knotting them so they won't unravel and the ends arnt everywhere while I sleep.

When I'm lazy and I've had it in a pony puff I'll leave the ouchless stretch band in and cover it up and go to sleep and finger comb and touch up in the morning

BUT I ALWAYS WEAR A HEADSCARF( silk)!!! I keep one in my car even when Im not sleeping at home

And I've had minimal ssk with this routine

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
Even though it's easier to deal with my natural hair when it's straightened, I got tired/bored wearing it that way and had missed wearing it natural. However, how to wear my hair each night when I wear my hair in it's natural state has sometimes been an issue for me, especially if I don't feel like doing anything.

Since washing my natural hair and not straightening it, I've been wearing my hair either in bantu knots or two-strand twists with flexirods at night to keep my natural hair from matting/tangling/shrinking too much. I put my hair in anywhere from 5-8 bantu knots/twists. I do this on dry hair. I do not re-wet my hair before styling. I've tried that before and my hair comes out really frizzy and shrunken and dry looking.

I used to sparingly apply Aussie Moist Conditioner as a leave-in before styling on dry hair but for some reason, it is not working for my hair anymore. I don't know if they changed the formula or not, but it leaves little balls of buildup all throughout my strands making it dry. Right now, I've been using Ultra Sheen Satin Creme Pres (yellow grease-like substance) on my hair. It melts into my hair and gives it shine, moisture, and softness.

I have pics of various flexirod twistouts in my fotki album.

Hope that helps.

ladytee2

oooh child I look like Aunt Jemima going to bed no way is anyone taking a picture of that. I usually divide my hair into 3 to 8 section depending on how lazy I am. If Im real lazy I slap 1 big twist in that mug and hit the hay. I moisturize and seal each section or just the ends if its not to dry. I twist each section. Roll the ends or do a bantu knot and put on my scarf.

I do feel like that is too much manipulation. I have been looking at my regimen and wondering why I am not further along than I think I should be and the one thing I could come up with is I am manipulating my hair every night. Last week I put in some flat twist in the front and two strand twist in the back. I wore that for 3 days. Then I wore a twist out on Saturday and Sunday.

Qtee

There is no way ur getting a pic...But I put my hair in 7-8 plaits..I spritz each section with my leave in to dampen before I plait.. and put a satin bonnet over it..If my hair was longer I would wear a ponytail @ the top of my hair (called a pinapple)...

Last edited:

Amoreofcurls

This is what I do to maintain my twist and braid outs, then I just tye a triangular scarf on with a bonnet over so my ends are protected...

Pic taken right before night prep

the pic in my siggy is the outcome...

This is what I use if im too tired to retwist

Last edited:

Nonie

Hair's usually braided or twisted and might either be styled in the way I will wear it the next day or might be just free to do whatever it wants. I then wrap my head with Saran wrap (usually a must if trying to keep a style that I will wear the next day) or I put on a plastic cap or plastic bag. Don't have pics of the last two "styles", but here's a Saran wrap night time do:

My hair was in already styled twists so in the AM, I just took the wrap off and added a clip to hold the back so it doesn't unravel and I was good to go to work. Love an easy life! :lol:

PPGbubbles

when i wear it out i do a "twist wrap" which is a flat twist in a circle. It takes like 10-15 mins if my hair is previously blowdried or straight and like 30 if it is in its kinky state. I sleep with a bonnet on, or scarf or sometime loose on a satin pillow case.
DSCF1856.jpg
then I undo it in the morning and it takes like 5 mins.... and voila!... it is the only way I can achieve a consistent twist out that I love every time
twist out 2010.jpg
I redo it every 2 days... in between the days, I sleep with it out on a satin pillow case and if I wake up and still like it, I keep it that way or pull it back in a low bun like so...
DSCF2222.jpg

Last edited:

pookaloo83

I just did a post on doing multiple pineapples on shorter hair - here's a pic too!

Think Your Hair is Too Short to Pineapple? You Thought Wrong!

I did this once. But my hair felt dry for some reason. :nono: I'm gonna have to look at that thread you posted. Well lately I have been doing Amoreofcurls routine. So far so good. I just hope it's not too much maipulation. I'm gonna keep an eye on my strands, I have fine hair, so it's very fragile. But before I was putting my hair in 6-8 plaits and fluffing in the morning. It comes out like the way it is in my siggy.

EllePixie

I did this once. But my hair felt dry for some reason. :nono: I'm gonna have to look at that thread you posted. Well lately I have been doing Amoreofcurls routine. So far so good. I just hope it's not too much maipulation. I'm gonna keep an eye on my strands, I have fine hair, so it's very fragile. But before I was putting my hair in 6-8 plaits and fluffing in the morning. It comes out like the way it is in my siggy.

Oh! :( My hair felt fine but I moisturized in the AM and fluffed out to refresh my hair.

bludaydreamr

I put my hair in about 6-8 twists, take them down, and fluff. The first pic is day 1, and the second is day 3 hair that was not retwisted, I just completely covered my hair the night before. In the morning I uncovered it and let the steam from the shower plump and shrink it. Sorry these are not the best but you can somewhat get an idea...

Attachments

• 23.jpg
    23.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 56
  • 24.jpg
    24.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 53

LuvlyRain3

I baggy every night. I put on a plastic cap and then i put a headband over it to keep it from moving at night. Then i put my stay put bonnet on.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Long Hair Care Forum App

Missjae09

when wear my hair natural at night I plait my hair in "ceile plaits" and sometime I put rods on the ends. I do this on dry hair and will add some moisturizer or spritz it with my water and aloe mix just to make it pliable. I don't have a certain number of plaits.. I make them fairly big. My hair is short I can't make it too big otherwise it will be too thick to stay together (if that makes sense) (i'm sorry i don't have any good pics to show the outcome)

pookaloo83

I baggy every night. I put on a plastic cap and then i put a headband over it to keep it from moving at night. Then i put my stay put bonnet on.

LuvlyRain3 is baggying when you wet your hair with some type of conditioner overnight? Won't you wake up to a wet head? How do you style in the am? Anyone who baggy's can answer this. Nonie you said you baggy too right? What exactly is it?

LaFemmeNaturelle

pookaloo83 when I baggy I just put a plastic shower cap on with no products except what was left in from my last wash. My hair is not wet in the morning just soft and moisturized. I used to have damp and/or smelly hair in the morning when I moisturized before placing the baggy on. Now I just put it on dry hair and let the bag and my hair do it's thang.

Nonie

Nonie you said you baggy too right? What exactly is it?

Baggying is covering your head with plastic. Helps to prevent moisture loss from hair and encourage sebum production. The reason I can go for months on end w/o using any form of moisturizer is because I baggy nightly. When using S Curl (which I do if I plan to comb my hair out since it provides the slip necessary for easy combing, not to mention it moisturizes and softens like nothing else I know), I usually plait my hair for the night with S Curl applied and baggy. The baggy keeps my pillow clean but also allows the S Curl to soak into my hair and stay on my hair. Baggying nightly with S Curl applied means I only ever need apply it on wash day and my hair stays moisturized until the next wash.

For my baggy, I could Saran wrap as in cling film (that's what I posted). My hair was in twists and already styled how I wanted to wear it. I am now using S Curl on my ends but until just recently my twists used to be bare. So in the pic I posted, my ends were moisturized with S Curl (I don't remember if I sealed with Vaseline in that pic, but I haven't been doing this step--just sheer laziness), and then I had put my twists in an updo that I planned to wear the next day. I when wrapped Saran wrap around my head. The Saran wrap is my favorite baggy because it acts like a scarf by "setting" the style. So in the AM, all I do it take it off and I'm good to go to work.

If not styling my hair, I will use a good ol' plastic cap or a plastic bag and just tie it in the back bandana style.

I started baggying way back during jheri curl days to keep the juice from getting on my pillow but I found that even when I used to use grease, baggying was a clever way to stop from soiling my pillows and keeping product locked away also kept my skin clear. There was a time I used Paltas--a very oily product on my hair--and baggying rather than wrapping my head with a towel made better sense. (I hate doing laundry!) Also when I was treating my bald spot, the directions said to wrap head with a warm towel after applying the EO concoction, but I instead preferred to keep my towels oil free and use a plastic cap.

Regardless of what moisturizer you use, you should try sleeping with a plastic cap on, you'll be surprised at how great your hair will feel and how you will not need to moisturize daily. Makes haircare economical and a breeze. I can't say enough about baggying. I do prefer bare hair baggying if wearing twists (or braids) and will sometimes baggy 24/7 (like when I wear a wrap or hat to work) in which case I allow myself the bare bagging. But lately I am trying to be kinder to my ends on days I wear my hair out so I've been baggying with S Curl on ends.

ETA: I think if you use multiple products or baggy damp hair, you may get a weird smell, not to mention drips. But when I baggy bare hair, I just smell the conditioner I used in the last wash and hair is moist not damp. And when I baggy with S Curl, I just smell S Curl and hair is a bit wet--not so much when I just apply to the ends of my twists, but when I apply to the entire length because I plan to comb hair out, it does feel a bit damp in the morning but never dripping. Again only S Curl smell here.

Last edited:

Nayna

Unbothered
I'll try and take pics tonight. When I'm maintaining a braidout or twist out I don't go too hard. Right now I'm doing 4 braids wrapped in a bantu knot. I moisturize it with some type of qhemet biologics product (I use amla and olive or burdock root) tonight I used amla. I'm trying not to wet it too much, so I don't wet it at all. It's all done on dry hair. If I'm feeling truly lazy this sucker goes in a bun and is let loose the next day.

Last edited:

pookaloo83

pookaloo83 when I baggy I just put a plastic shower cap on with no products except what was left in from my last wash. My hair is not wet in the morning just soft and moisturized. I used to have damp and/or smelly hair in the morning when I moisturized before placing the baggy on. Now I just put it on dry hair and let the bag and my hair do it's thang.

So basically your own body heat is moisturizing your hair? I hope I'm making sense.

Nonie

So basically your own body heat is moisturizing your hair? I hope I'm making sense.

pookaloo83 I think it's both the moisture your hair got from conditioning that is kept locked in instead of being allowed to soak into a scarf or evaporate into the air, as well as your scalp's pores opening up in the heat to release sebum.

Curly hair is dry because even though sebum is produced by our scalps as it is with straight-haired folks, it doesn't travel up the strand. But when you baggy, I feel as if there's some mechanism that works like DCing w/ heat whereby the sebum heats up and because it has nowhere to go, condenses back on your hair and this ensures more of your curly strands get "moisturized". Probably this also happens to moisture that was in your hair from conditioning: instead of the heat making it evaporate and leave your hair dry, because of the cap, it's trapped so it falls back on your hair. So it's like you get some "steaming" that "replenishes" moisture in your hair.

When you baggy with nothing on, in the AM when you take your cap off, your hair feels so soft the way it feels after you DC. Soft hair IMO is moisturized hair and the only way I can see that happening especially f you do this daily and never apply anything, is if somehow sebum is getting to spread to more of the hair with daily baggying.

Last edited:

Curlykale

I make 6 braids smoothed with very little water and the needed quantity of moisturizing conditioner, a drop of grapeseed oil, then a satin cap or a plastic cap. The plastic cap makes a huge difference, it feels like deep conditioning, I completely agree.

I have to try without adding product, never thought about it, thanks Nonie!

I once bought a cap which was made of satin inside and plastic outside and I didn't know about the baggying technique. I was surprised in the morning. I couldn't DC overnight because my hair gets overmoisturized. But baggying is just perfect, it gives me "freshly deep conditioned hair" everyday.

In the morning I shake well and if I'm wearing my hair out I may add a little homemade flaxseed gel on top. Otherwise I bun.

Last edited:

LuvlyRain3

LuvlyRain3 is baggying when you wet your hair with some type of conditioner overnight? Won't you wake up to a wet head? How do you style in the am? Anyone who baggy's can answer this. Nonie you said you baggy too right? What exactly is it?

pookaloo83. When i baggy my hair is just moisturized with something. But i only moisturize once or twice a week (after a cowash and on dc days). Baggying jusr uses your body heat to refresh the moisture. I've never baggy on wet hair though. If i get heavy handed with product my hair might feel a little damp in the am but never wet.

Lately have been keeping my hair braided so am in styling is not important. But i love the way twist outs come out after baggying the twists.

naturalmanenyc

I tried the "Braid & Curl" so my hair is in a bonnet & scarf.

the front is pinned on each side.

then I used a scarf

and a bonnet

Morning after hair

[video=youtube;tu0QksgCva4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tu0QksgCva4[/video]

[video=youtube;BS3hBqmZeak]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BS3hBqmZeak[/video]

Last edited:

pookaloo83

I'm gonna have to try this baggy thing. I always see people talk about it, but didn't know what it was. I use Qhemets AOHC. Can I moisturize with a little of that on my ends or on my hair, flattwist and put the plastic cap on and a baggy? Does that count as baggying? I don't dc as much as I should. I wonder if this can be a substitue?