Naturals...Let's talk protein

How often do you use protein in your hair?

• Total voters

LunadeMiel

I've come to the unfortunate realization that my hair hates protein. I usually try to avoid products with hard proeteins but that still isn't enough. For the past month I've been Deep conditioning with Lustrasilk Shea butter cholesterol, mixed with Miss Keys 10 en 1, Coconut oil and have noticed that my hair gets really hard and dry after these treatments...:sad: So I need some advice....

How often do you do protein treatments?
How does your hair react to protein?
Are there any type of proteins that your hair like?
Can you recommend any proetein free deep conditioners?

Mook's hair

I'm still transitioning but I'm still gonna add my 2 cents.
I have noticed that my hair can take silk protein like the ors replenishing pack and diluted infusium leave-in but hates heavy proteins.

With the exception of Silk Protein. I used to use a product called Shenique Silk Reforming Complex but it's been discontinued. Grrrrr!:wallbash:

I will be purchasing some of the Silk Amino Acids from Lotion crafters soon.

If you haven't tried silk protein you may find that your hair responds positively to it. It doesn't make hair hard. It creates a soft silky yet strong reinforced quality that you will not achieve with the use of animal protein.

Last edited:

Ms.Honey

My hair hates it too. I did an apHogee 2 step protein treatment last year and it took forever to get my curls back:ohwell:. I haven't tried it since but it may react differently now. Have you tried their 2 minute reconstructor, I think that's protein or maybe their Keratin and Green Tea restructurizer? I think they're supposed to strengthen and repair also.

LunadeMiel

I'm still transitioning but I'm still gonna add my 2 cents.
I have noticed that my hair can take milk protein like the ors replenishing pack and diluted infusium leave-in but hates heavy proteins.

With the exception of Silk Protein. I used to use a product called Shenique Silk Reforming Complex but it's been discontinued. Grrrrr!:wallbash:

I will be purchasing some of the Silk Amino Acids from Lotion crafters soon.

If you haven't tried silk protein you may find that your hair responds positively to it. It doesn't make hair hard. It creates a soft silky yet strong reinforced quality that you will not achieve with the use of animal protein.
Thanks for the recomendation...I will try the silk protein

My hair hates it too. I did an apHogee 2 step protein treatment last year and it took forever to get my curls back:ohwell:. I haven't tried it since but it may react differently now. Have you tried their 2 minute reconstructor, I think that's protein or maybe their Keratin and Green Tea restructurizer? I think they're supposed to strengthen and repair also.

I think it will be too much for my hair....:nono: Isn't Keratin a heavy protein?

growth2come

I havent used the aphogee protein treatment...I use ors cholestral weekly sometimes I alternate with something else. I also mix it with SAA and olive oil..my hair comes out strong yet soft and fluffy.

VictoriousBrownFlower

As a natural my hair HATED protein. It makes my hair feel like straw when it dries and my hair sheds like crazy . It still does even though I am now texlaxed. I've come to realize that I should use protein only as needed which is maybe once a month, and I dont use anything harder then motions cpr ( I guess that would be considered light to moderate). The only deep conditioner that I've been able to find that doesnt have some protein snuck in there is myhoneychild olive you deep conditioner. I dont really hear people on here talk about myhoneychild products but they are really good. I have tried other dc's and I always come back to this.

d-rock

I think my hair likes the cholesterol conditioner but not milk proteins. Off subject, but how are you guys using the SAAs?! I want to order some but I don't know what I'm going to do with it.

LynnieB

my hair seems to thrive using proteins and it really seems to help my ends stay strong and healthy.

I think because of proteins i've never had a problem with breakage or split ends and have not needed to trim due to damage since May, 07.

i use hard aphogee about every one or 2 months. Moderate proteins every 2-3 weeks or so and the really mild proteins every wash/cowash.

i've used 2 step aphogee with no problems, revisited some aphogee keratin reconstructor when i ran out of the 2-step aphogee with great results.

i also use vo5 moisture milks line, aubrey organics gbp or elucence at every wash/cowash.

Aubrey Organics hsr is a great non protein conditioner and i use it to moisturize every time i do a hard aphogee - hasn't failed yet.

Last edited:

InnerSoul

-Aphogee heavy duty protein, used when needed.

-light proteins are in my deep conditioner and I use it once a week.

-I also have a protein poo and conditioner that I also use in rotation with my other poos/con.

ladylibra

the only proteins i've used in my hair are eggs and silk amino acids. my hair has not had a negative reaction to either. when i use eggs, i usually mix a few in with some mayo, apply to the hair, baggy and leave on for 5-15 minutes. then i rinse in COOL water so the eggs don't scramble in my hair, and follow up with V05 Moisture Milks conditioner + honey. leave that on my hair for 5 minutes at least and rinse in WARM water, then follow with an ACV rinse (1 part ACV 3 parts COOL water). also i usually do this on braid-out hair that's already been detangled, so i don't have to manipulate my hair a lot during/after a protein treatment.

with SAA, i just add the 1 oz. bottle to my 50/50 V05 condish/water mix + honey in a 15 oz. bottle. i co-wash with this almost every day. SAA is very light and i finger-comb with no worries. :yep:

biancaelyse

I love all the beautiful natural hair!!

I use less and less protein now. I henna pretty regularly and find that my hair doesn't need protein as it used to.

My fav one is Aubrey GPB though - great stuff.

LadyKaypnyc

I only use protein when my hair needs it...sometimes its once a month, other times its too. Protein only makes my hair hard if I keep it in too long and when I use artificial heat. My limit is 20-30 minutes with a hot towel. Any longer than that, and my hair is a hard mess.

For cowashes, I use Mane and Tail occassionally which does have protein, but it doesn't have any adverse effects on my hair.

My staple protein dcs are Sebastians Penetrait and my Egg/Mayo mix...

LunadeMiel

It looks like everyone is using protein without any negative side effect. Has anyone been able to successfully remove protein from their regimen?

Last edited:

discodumpling

I think I get enough protein from my shealoe mix, between the shea butter and the coconut oil I think my hair gets enough protein...sometimes too much; and that's when I use water based moisturizer for a week or two. I only use protein on purpose if my hair starts to feel mushy other than that I try to do moisture only treatments. I stay away from V05 Moisture Milks & other mild conditioners for co-washes, cause I learned early on my natural hair doesn't need anywhere near as much protein as my relaxed hair did.

loolalooh

I've come to the unfortunate realization that my hair hates protein. I usually try to avoid products with hard proeteins but that still isn't enough. For the past month I've been Deep conditioning with Lustrasilk Shea butter cholesterol, mixed with Miss Keys 10 en 1, Coconut oil and have noticed that my hair gets really hard and dry after these treatments...:sad: So I need some advice....

How often do you do protein treatments?
How does your hair react to protein?
Are there any type of proteins that your hair like?

To answer your questions:

How often do you do protein treatments? I never do protein treatments ... except for the one treatment before putting in kinky twists this year.

How does your hair react to protein? I'm not sure. I'd imagine it would get hard.

Are there any type of proteins that your hair like? My hair does fine without them. But if I had to pick, my hair likes keratin and wheat protein. Keratin is closest to the hair's structure .. and wheat protein is a light protein.

Can you recommend any protein free deep conditioners? LustraSilk Shea Cholesterol mixed with honey and EVOO. It leaves my hair soft, moisturized and smooth. Maybe you should try mixing in honey and EVOO.

Last edited:

PassionFruit

my guess is naturals dont need as much proteins as relaxed...

I only use protein as needed when DC but I so use leave-ins with high protein content ( Surge Plus 14 and others)

adw425

My hair loves, loves, loves protein. I retained alot of length in 2006, but did not in 2007 because I kept reading that naturals do not need alot of protein, so I cut back.

I started again this year using it once a week. Recently, I looked at all the ingredients in MT/OCT (hydrolyzed keratin, muccopolysacharides, amino acids, panthenol, marine proteins) and made up my own version of it -- mostly to try to use up some of the conditioner I have and just as a small experiment that I could stop if it disagreed with my hair. It did not. Not only is my hair thus far loving it, I am using up some of the myriad conditioners I have in my linen closet, cabinet and laundry room.

It is a creamy concoction of the horse conditioner (I use Cabellina del Caballos - keratin amino acids, horsetail, panthenol), Aphogee intensive keratin reconstructor (the creamy one, see ingredients below*), Freeman Sea Kelp/WR Ocean Mist (marine proteins, panthenol, botanicals) conditioners, which give me all the ingredients for far less money, plus the Cabellina has horsetail to boot. I made a gallon of the stuff -- half of it is the horse conditioner...

I also have a liquid concoction made up of Duo Tex (collagen), aloe vera (mucopolysaccharides), Aphogee keratin and green tea restructurizer and avocado mist (panthenol and more mucopolys...) that I spray on first on (saturate) dry hair. My scalp immediately starts tingling, itching, crawling (in a good way, smile) and does not stop. I then layer on the creamy stuff, leave on for up to an hour and rinse. For the most part, my hair does not rinse hard at all, but soft, strong, detangled, moisturized. (The one time my hair rinsed not hard, but not as moisturized as it usually did, I ran some VO5 honeydew smoothie through it, let it stay on a minute and rinsed and my hair felt like I wanted it to...) My ends are the best they have ever been -- no roughness, very smooth cuticles.

I have been doing nearly daily for two weeks now and my hair is thriving, thriving, thriving -- thicker, lusher, stronger, incredible moisture retention, considerably less shrinkage and, I daresay, I have even had some new growth, which is phenomenal because I only get about one fourth inch of growth a month and I have already had that, a bit more, really...

*(Hydrolyzed Hair Keratin, Hydrolyzed Mucopolysaccharides, Collagen Amino Acids, Wheat Germ Fatty Acids, Linoleic Acid, Linolenic Acid, Arachidonic Acid, Squalane, Avocado Oil, Acetimide MEA, Panthenol, Wheat Germ Oil, Jojoba Oil, Tocopherol, Tocopheryl Acetate, Sulfur -- in addition to the chemicals it contains, of course, smile)

Last edited:
my hair seems to thrive using proteins and it really seems to help my ends stay strong and healthy.

I think because of proteins i've never had a problem with breakage or split ends and have not needed to trim due to damage since May, 07.

i use hard aphogee about every one or 2 months. Moderate proteins every 2-3 weeks or so and the really mild proteins every wash/cowash.

i've used 2 step aphogee with no problems, revisited some aphogee keratin reconstructor when i ran out of the 2-step aphogee with great results.

i also use vo5 moisture milks line, aubrey organics gbp or elucence at every wash/cowash.

Aubrey Organics hsr is a great non protein conditioner and i use it to moisturize every time i do a hard aphogee - hasn't failed yet.

You know what, my hair thrives on protein as well, but I think this has to do with the fact that my hair (like yours) is wirey and coarse. For some reason, my hair can't get enough protein. I don't know what it is. My hair loves Emergencee to the point that I think I could get away with using it every week. My hair won't really hold moisture without me having done a protein treatment at some point. I wish I knew why....

ladylibra

It looks like everyone is using protein without any negative side effect. Has anyone been able to successfully remove protein from their regimen?

i should add, i didn't start using protein until last fall. my hair was fine before, it was moisture-hungry. i co-washed so frequently that it started making my hair mushy. :look: so then i had to "fix" the problem with protein.

now i'm just maintaining the balance. :yep:

I just bought some and now I am hesitant to try it.

I am beginning to wonder if my hair hates most protein.
Lately I have had a hell of a time with breakage and I finally found a good moisturizer but my hair is still breaking. After doing ORS pak, it hasn't changed.
When I wasn't using the ORS paks, my hair wasn't nearly breaking.
The only thing that seems to be ok on my hair is diluted Infusium.
Even when I use the SAA conditioners, my hair is silky soft but still breaks. I think I am going to lay off of that stuff and see how it goes.

miami74

How often do you do protein treatments? Once a week
How does your hair react to protein?It stays strong when I use a mild/moderate protein. It starts to break when I use a heavier protein.
Are there any type of proteins that your hair like? ORS Hair Mayo and Capilo Miel y Leche (milk/egg, silk proteins). It hates Aphogee 2 Min Reconstructor. Makes it stiff and breaks.
My hair loves Queen Helene Cholesterol. Very moisturizing. I can use it several times a week with no problems.

LayneJ

My hair hates protein.

Even when I use Egg/mayo/condish, my hair feels stronger, but it's also really hard. I diluted Giovanni Direct because it was making my hard, too. Bed Head's Dumb Blonde is probably the only protein product that doesn't make my hair hard; it's actually kind of moisturizing.

CenteredGirl

I have found that my hair lkes it when I mix a moisturizing DC with a protein DC. I do this every week and get strong, moisturized hair.

LunadeMiel

My hair loves, loves, loves protein. I retained alot of length in 2006, but did not in 2007 because I kept reading that naturals do not need alot of protein, so I cut back.

I started again this year using it once a week. Recently, I looked at all the ingredients in MT/OCT (hydrolyzed keratin, muccopolysacharides, amino acids, panthenol, marine proteins) and made up my own version of it -- mostly to try to use up some of the conditioner I have and just as a small experiment that I could stop if it disagreed with my hair. It did not. Not only is my hair thus far loving it, I am using up some of the myriad conditioners I have in my linen closet, cabinet and laundry room.

It is a creamy concoction of the horse conditioner (I use Cabellina del Caballos - hydrolyzed amino acids, horsetail, panthenol), Aphogee intensive keratin reconstructor (the creamy one, see below*), Freeman Sea Kelp/WR Ocean Mist (marine proteins) conditioners, which give me all the ingredients for far less money, plus the Cabellina has horsetail to boot. I made a gallon of the stuff -- half of it is the horse conditioner...

I also have a liquid concoction made up of Duo Tex (collagen), aloe vera (mucopolysaccharides), Aphogee keratin and green tea restructurizer and avocado mist (panthenol and more mucopolys...) that I spray on first on dry hair. My scalp immediately starts tingling, itching, crawling (in a good way, smile). I then layer on the creamy stuff, leave on for up to an hour and rinse. For the most part, my hair does not rinse hard at all, but soft, strong and detangled. (The one time my hair rinsed not soft, but not hard either, I ran some VO5 honeydew smoothie through it, let it stay on a minute and rinsed and my hair felt like I wanted it to...)

I have been doing nearly daily for two weeks now and my hair is thriving, thriving, thriving -- thicker, lusher, stronger, considerably less shrinkage and, I daresay, I have even had some new growth, which is phenomenal because I only get about one fourth inch of growth a month and I have already had that.

*(Hydrolyzed Hair Keratin, Hydrolzed Mucopolysaccharides, Collagen Amino Acids, Wheat Germ Fatty Acids, Linoleic Acid, Linolenic Acid, Arachidonic Acid, Squalane, Avocado Oil, Acetimide MEA, Panthenol, Wheat Germ Oil, Jojoba Oil, Tocopherol, Tocopheryl Acetate, Sulfur -- in addition to the chemicals it contains, of course, smile)

Thanks for all of this info adw....:yep:

Ms.Honey

Thanks for the recomendation...I will try the silk protein

I think it will be too much for my hair....:nono: Isn't Keratin a heavy protein?
I think it depends on the form. I think the 2 step apHogee was much heavier than the other one.

I just bought some and now I am hesitant to try it.

I am beginning to wonder if my hair hates most protein.
Lately I have had a hell of a time with breakage and I finally found a good moisturizer but my hair is still breaking. After doing ORS pak, it hasn't changed.
When I wasn't using the ORS paks, my hair wasn't nearly breaking.
The only thing that seems to be ok on my hair is diluted Infusium.
Even when I use the SAA conditioners, my hair is silky soft but still breaks. I think I am going to lay off of that stuff and see how it goes.

I guess you can try it on a small discreet section of hair first to see how it reacts.

adw425

Thanks for all of this info adw....:yep:

You are welcome. I've been wanting to share (and I have with some ladies via PMs) and was waiting for just the right thread. I hope it helps and works for others like it is working amazingly well for me...

My hair seems to love protein. A few months back I started to do Aphogee every 6 weeks . It has strengthened the condition of my ends, and I therefore able to retain more length.
Im thinking about doing AO light protein bi-weekly as well.

DMJ's Mom

My hair adores protein. When I first bc'd I was doing a protein treatment almost daily. Now I've slowed up to about once or twice a week just because I don't have time to do more

vlucious

How often do you do protein treatments? --whenever my hair needs it; usually when my hair gets extra frizzy and doesnt curl right, i know its that time!

How does your hair react to protein? --i think my hair likes it i use tresseme alot, and it has alot of protein..
Are there any type of proteins that your hair like? --keratin?
Can you recommend any proetein free deep conditioners? --i dont know any sorry!