Naturals...Let's talk protein

How often do you use protein in your hair?

• Total voters

MissMeWithThatIsh

Interesting.

I use Aphogee's hard protein treatment for the past 2-3 months, once per month. I usually follow it with intense deep moisturizing conditioning, and I have no problems.

Maybe you can try a moisturizing protein conditioner, like ORS Hair Mayo. It smells great, it moisturizes and it strengthens.

ETA: Whenever I use a hair mayo, I use it weekly... even leaving in my hair to air dry up to a week at a time.

Last edited:

joyandfaith

I use the Aphogee 2 min Keratin Reconstructor as a DC'ing protein. I do notice that my hair is a little less soft than normal co-washing days, but its sooo worth it because I have so little shedding when I do it. I think its best for my ends (therefore my growth) in the long run, so I'm willing to give a little on the softness.

EMJazzy

Happily retired
I haven't had to use protein in a very long time....but if my hair becomes mushy then I'm not opposed to using it.

lovinmylocs

I guess that I'm rare in that I use light protein almost daily. I use Sebastians Potions #9 with my Qhement Olive and Honey Balm and my hair is thriving. I don't get the same hair when I only use one or the other.

I can't use the hard proteins too often - I have trouble with the whole moisture/protein balance.

vangrey

My hair doesn't like protein....
when i was relaxed my hair loved mane n tail
now it turns into a tangled, hard mess at the sight of protein

Wildchild453

When I hit waist I stop
I use a protein conditioner every other week when I wash and do a henna treatment once a month. I think I'm going to stretch my henna treatments out to once every 6 weeks though

Nefertiti0906

Well I think likes some protein.

My hair was breaking really badly and I started using Redken's Anti-snap Leave-In. It helped to minimize my breakage.

Oh I should add that I only use the Leave-In when I shampoo, not conditioner wash...

lilvudufly

I am fairly new to this site and being natural.Can someone explain what proteins are and why they are good for your hair?:ohwell:

danigurl18

Once I did the BC, I thought my hair wouldn't need as much protein like it did when it was relaxed. I had to use the Aphogee 2 Min Reconstructor because my ahir got really mushy. It was too moisturized. :perplexed

RedVelvet310

How often do you do protein treatments? Twice a week with ORS hair mayo
How does your hair react to protein? My hair likes moderate protein only.. the light protein does nothing for me, and the harder protein makes me hair brittle
Are there any type of proteins that your hair like? Not sure... whatever is in ORS Hair Mayo cause my hair only seems to like that
Can you recommend any proetein free deep conditioners? I've been looking at this one lately http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=13643712 but they don't ship to Canada so I'm calling my cousin today to set something up.

CurliDiva

My hair HATED henna!!!:wallbash:

I think I had moisture overload with all of my leave-ins, co-washes and baggying - my strands were constantly wet and just did not feel strong when dry.

I did the hard core Aphogee treatment, and then mpoisturized.

But now I'm retaining length with Mega Tek which makes my hair dries a little hard but stronger.

The cholestrol conditioners (ex. Queen Helene) just seemed to lubricate my hair without much lasting effects.

Pamsc

When I was relaxed I could only tolerate Infusion 23 in moderation. Now being natural, I can't even look at the stuff or my hair is like :ohwell:. I mean all dry, stiff, and a hot a$$ mess. So I voted not at all. If some day it becomes mushy ( which I doubt) I will try an organic approach to protein( egg, mayo ect.) IN the meantime, I enjoy oil rinses, DC, and CON washes.

Irresistible

I stay away from heavy proteins like Keratin and Collogan, hyrlodlyzed animal protein and such

I stick with Silk and wheat Proteins and use them as often as I like

MissBCurly

I've come to the unfortunate realization that my hair hates protein. I usually try to avoid products with hard proeteins but that still isn't enough. For the past month I've been Deep conditioning with Lustrasilk Shea butter cholesterol, mixed with Miss Keys 10 en 1, Coconut oil and have noticed that my hair gets really hard and dry after these treatments...:sad: So I need some advice....

How often do you do protein treatments?
How does your hair react to protein?
Are there any type of proteins that your hair like?
Can you recommend any proetein free deep conditioners?

I do protein treatments every 4th cowash
My hair loves protein, too much moisture and my hair doesnt do anything!
I personally like the Mane n Tail Conditioner I think that has protein,
Main conditioners are silicone mix, miss keys 10 en 1, pantene pro v relaxed n natural mask, and mixed chicks deep conditioner

NGraceO

Because I have braids or sew-ins most of the time, I usually only do protein treatments between, and during braided period do moisture treatments. My hair def. like ORS Replenishing Pak b/c its a mixture of moisture and protein. Also, I sometimes do a mix of a cholesterol con, a moisturising conditioner and glycerine. Basically, I DONT ever just put protein alone on my hair....eek. But I always try and mix it with some moisture....works for me!

thetall1

My hair just doesn't like protein:nono:. I washed & did a protein treatment on my hair last week & it's still hard, dry, and dull!:swearing: I thought I would DC w/ a moisturizing conditioner to get my hair back on track, but I was wrong! I used ORS moisturizing conditioner, but I think that has protein in it too! So, now I'm stuck w/ this head of dry hair!

Irresistible

My hair just doesn't like protein:nono:. I washed & did a protein treatment on my hair last week & it's still hard, dry, and dull!:swearing: I thought I would DC w/ a moisturizing conditioner to get my hair back on track, but I was wrong! I used ORS moisturizing conditioner, but I think that has protein in it too! So, now I'm stuck w/ this head of dry hair!

use lots of natural oils to get it back to normal :yep:

Irresistible

how do you guys know if a product has protein in it? i'm a newbie so i have no idea what i'm doing.

anything that says 'hydrolyzed' is probably protein , and collagen is one too

animal protein , keratin, and collagen are the stronger proteins

silk, wheat, and soy, milk, not so hard! (softer proteins than the others)

hth!

Last edited:

LiberianGirl

My hair responds very well to protein. I use ORS Hair Mayo pak every other week and my hair has gotten stronger not weaker.

jamaraa

I am fairly new to this site and being natural.Can someone explain what proteins are and why they are good for your hair?:ohwell:

Proteins is good for the hair, in theory, because the hair is made of protein (ie keratin) that can break down via styling which leaves your hair weaker and more likely to break (ie split ends, etc). This is why they're sometimes called "reconstuctors" because they are supposed to replace a building block of hair itself.

sunshinne368

So I just added aphogee hard core treatment to my reggie, however it is making my curls losen up a lot! My fine areas are almost straight:wallbash:! Is this ok or too much. I also deep condition with moistur conditioner, EVOO, irish moss.

cmw45

I said "other." My hair isn't really a fan...I started using conditioners with proteins in them ocassionally and my hair has responded well.

cmw45

So I just added aphogee hard core treatment to my reggie, however it is making my curls losen up a lot! My fine areas are almost straight:wallbash:! Is this ok or too much. I also deep condition with moistur conditioner, EVOO, irish moss.

I would say that it depends on how your hair feels. I mean, if your hair feels stiff, brittle or rough you may need to condition again with the moisturizing conditioner or a deep conditioner. If your hair feels soft, then rock wit it. :spinning: