Naturals...Let's talk protein

How often do you use protein in your hair?

• Total voters

spacetygrss

My hair does well with regular doses of light proteins(silk, wheat, etc) and then a monthly or bi-weekly dose of a stronger protein (depends on how much cowashing I'm doing). What my hair DOESN'T like is to be deep conditioned (moisturizing) consistently without keeping up with protein...it turns in to putty.

hothair

I voted on behalf of the guinea pig- my sis, she's got 4a natural hair and BC-ed last July, she uses the 2 step Aphogee about once a month and her hair looks amazing when she does, she's retained a lot of growth and is now almost shoulder length from a TWA this time last year

Nonie

I've never used pure protein. I always use reconstructors that have both protein and moisturizing properties eg Aubrey Organics GPB, Emergencee. Emergencee is the strongest strengthening product I use and not only do I follow it with a moisturizing shampoo like Nexxus Therappe, but I also follow condition afterwards with a moisturizing conditioner. When I use GPB, I don't usually follow that w/ a moisturizing conditioner or shampoo.

quasimodi

I've come to the unfortunate realization that my hair hates protein. I usually try to avoid products with hard proeteins but that still isn't enough. For the past month I've been Deep conditioning with Lustrasilk Shea butter cholesterol, mixed with Miss Keys 10 en 1, Coconut oil and have noticed that my hair gets really hard and dry after these treatments...:sad: So I need some advice....

How often do you do protein treatments?
How does your hair react to protein?
Are there any type of proteins that your hair like?
Can you recommend any proetein free deep conditioners?

I use a mixture ORS Hair Mayo, LeKair Cholesterol Aloe Vera formula for dry hair, extra virgin olive oil, and honey every week or so. I find that it makes my hair feel stronger, but it also makes it soft and moisturized. I have a sprtiz mixed w/ infusium 23 that seems to be helping my hair stay strong and moisturized, too

I've tried the aphogee. It make my hair CRAZY hard. So, I probably won't be going back to that any time soon. MY hair seems to like mild to moderate proteins. As long as I deep condition once a week with a good moisturizing deep conditioner, I seem to maintain a good protein/moisture balance.

Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose is a good organic moisturing conditioner. Elasta QP - DPR is a pretty good deep conditioner. I always mix mine with olive oil and honey.

Transformer

As a kinky natural.....I am absolutely raving mad about Giovanni Nutrafixx Reconstuctor....which is protein based. It detangles my hair and really smoothes out the cuticle. Before a protein based conditioner would matt my hair. I love this more than the Giovanni Direct Leave-In.

No tangles, no breakage, no hard hair!

Qetesh

How often do you do protein treatments? I do actual protein treatments only when my hair needs it, or about 1nce a month lately
How does your hair react to protein?My hair reacts well to light protein. I have never used apogee to say, but i do use emergnce and light condishes like flexx protein and V05 regularly. I also henna every 6 months.
Are there any type of proteins that your hair like? light proteins SAA
Can you recommend any proetein free deep conditioners?I would recommend you try doing a hot oil treatment if you dont want any protein I also like aussie 3 minute deeep but i am not sure if this has protein in it or not. i also for serious deep considh use sarlem wheat germ but i am sure this has some form of proteins in it

Bunny77

My favorite light protein is milk protein.

My hair also adores collagen. A lot of the Sally's conditioners have collagen in it... I have no idea why, but whenever collagen touches my hair, it is all good!

ToyToy

I don't think my hair likes protein either. It always gets so hard and tangled, no matter how long I DC after it. I don't pay too much attention to the protein in normal conditioners (since I tend to tweak those with honey - amazing detangling - and oils), but I avoid all reconstructors like Aveda DR, Joico K-Pak or Aphogee. I can't even use Henna, because it just tanlges my hair so badly and makes it really hard :( :ohwell:.

titan

AO GPB as a deep conditioner before I shampoo, or mayo/egg treatment before I shampoo. I use my protien conditiner in conjuction with a moisturing con. If my hair becomes hard after a protien treatment, the moisterizing conditoner will soften it.

luckiestdestiny

I've come to the unfortunate realization that my hair hates protein. I usually try to avoid products with hard proeteins but that still isn't enough. For the past month I've been Deep conditioning with Lustrasilk Shea butter cholesterol, mixed with Miss Keys 10 en 1, Coconut oil and have noticed that my hair gets really hard and dry after these treatments...:sad: So I need some advice....

How often do you do protein treatments?
How does your hair react to protein?
Are there any type of proteins that your hair like?
Can you recommend any proetein free deep conditioners?

The only protein I use in in my lacio lacio and it's diluted heavily with water as a leave in and it's silk protein. My dc is pure moisture I use avocado condtioner from shescentit.com (hope I spelled that right), and I just add olive oil and coconut to soup it up, and just dc with that.

joyandfaith

Thanks for the recomendation...I will try the silk protein

I think it will be too much for my hair....:nono: Isn't Keratin a heavy protein?

I use the Aphogee 2 min reconstructor and the Keratin and Green Tea Leave-in once a week after my shampoo and my hair loves it. I don't find that it makes my hair hard or brittle.

PAPRIKA

I use lighter proteins when I feel like my hair needs it, which can be once or twice a week. I will use Redken Rescue Force or Aphogee 2 minute. I also have some Olive oil cholesterol that I have added coconut milk that I will use as a deep conditioner. As I transition, I find that my hair needs more moisture to keep the protein/moisture balance. Could this be your problem?

Last edited:

FlowerHair

Reclaiming my time
Never.
But I dye my hair every now and then to get rid of the greys, and hair dye contains a lot of protein if I'm not mistaken?

kblc06

My hair LOVES protein. I find that naturals who have course, thick strands of hair do not really need protein to fortify their hair because the extra cuticle layers do that for them. I don't even use heat very often but my hair is very find and is prone to splits and breakage if it doesn't remain strong. I used Emergency 911 (when I can find it), Joico K-Pak conditioner with every wash, and Cantu shea butter leave-in. I may do a hard protein treatment like Nexxus Emergencee every 2-3 months

FlowerHair

Reclaiming my time
My hair LOVES protein. I find that naturals who have course, thick strands of hair do not really need protein to fortify their hair because the extra cuticle layers do that for them. I don't even use heat very often but my hair is very find and is prone to splits and breakage if it doesn't remain strong. I used Emergency 911 (when I can find it), Joico K-Pak conditioner with every wash, and Cantu shea butter leave-in. I may do a hard protein treatment like Nexxus Emergencee every 2-3 months

There might be some truth to that :yep: My strands are very, very thick (almost like East Indian hair).

Your hair is lovely!

lwilliams1922

my hair has always been on the dry side.

I'm learning now that avoiding protein on my hair is key.
I still have to learn all the forms of protein so I can pick them out of the ingredients lists.

protein makes my hair dry,hard and brittle. I dont think my hair has EVER been mushy.

I'm only using AO HSR and natuaral oils right now

turnergirl

I am no longer natural but when I was I used light protien once a week and a strong one every 6. I only started that after my hair passed the 13 inch mark. At that point I had hair that was over 2 years old and felt it needed more stregnthing.

turnergirl

Yes that is how my natural hair was. I had to kick it up a notch.

tailormade84

my hair HATES too much protein too....so i just avoid it like the plague in my hair products and just henna every other week....

DozenRoses99

My natural hair does not like a lot of protein. When I use a conditioner with protein, my hair gets very hard and brittle. When I rinse and detangle, I get so much breakage. I avoid protein as much as possible, and I have not had any problems with mushy hair or breakage. Occasionally when I use gel, I make sure to put a very moisturizing leave-in conditioner on my hair first.

Miss*Tress

I don't do protein conditioners right now, however, I don't avoid moisturizers with protein like Profectiv Megagrowth. When relaxed and transitioning I used ORS Hair Mayonnaise weekly and would go back to that if necessary.

darlingdiva

My hair NEEDS protein to act right.

When I first started doing my own hair, I used the Mane 'N Tail Deep Moisturizing Conditioner. It made my hair sooo hard. Shortly after that, I'd read online that protein makes your hair hard & I thought that my hair was hard b/c of the wheat protein in it. As a result, I avoided protein like the plague. I feared it like you wouldn't believe. Avoiding protein is undoubtedly one of the biggest hair mistakes that I've ever made. All I ended up w/ was mushy, breaking hair.

I now use AO GPB when I wash my hair. I've really been inspired by the "DC on dry hair" thread, so I'm going to try it on dry hair the next time that I wash. Aphogee 2-min is also good, but I don't like the non-natural ingredients. However, I'm going to keep it around & use it when I flat iron b/c I like that it has collagen & keratin in it.

bella gee

my hair seems to thrive using proteins and it really seems to help my ends stay strong and healthy.

I think because of proteins i've never had a problem with breakage or split ends and have not needed to trim due to damage since May, 07.

i use hard aphogee about every one or 2 months. Moderate proteins every 2-3 weeks or so and the really mild proteins every wash/cowash.

i've used 2 step aphogee with no problems, revisited some aphogee keratin reconstructor when i ran out of the 2-step aphogee with great results.

i also use vo5 moisture milks line, aubrey organics gbp or elucence at every wash/cowash.

Aubrey Organics hsr is a great non protein conditioner and i use it to moisturize every time i do a hard aphogee - hasn't failed yet.

i follow the same routine :yawn:

bella gee

my hair seems to thrive using proteins and it really seems to help my ends stay strong and healthy.

I think because of proteins i've never had a problem with breakage or split ends and have not needed to trim due to damage since May, 07.

i use hard aphogee about every one or 2 months. Moderate proteins every 2-3 weeks or so and the really mild proteins every wash/cowash.

i've used 2 step aphogee with no problems, revisited some aphogee keratin reconstructor when i ran out of the 2-step aphogee with great results.

i also use vo5 moisture milks line, aubrey organics gbp or elucence at every wash/cowash.

Aubrey Organics hsr is a great non protein conditioner and i use it to moisturize every time i do a hard aphogee - hasn't failed yet.

i follow the same routine :look:

MsEllie

If you haven't tried silk protein you may find that your hair responds positively to it. It doesn't make hair hard. It creates a soft silky yet strong reinforced quality that you will not achieve with the use of animal protein.

I just tried a silk Protein this past weekend - my hair totally loved it - its light I think "Smooth N Shine silk protein... My hair hates protein but it loved this. Its a keeper!

vainღ♥♡jane

ღ♥♡honey chile♡♥ღ
last week i noticed that my hair was feeling really stretchy, and i have been cowashing a lot. i decided to pull out my Aphogee 2 Min; after using it, there was a notiecable difference in how my hair felt. it felt strong. i will try to figure out how often i need to use this. i really want to do a hard protein treatment though. ♥

SignatureBeauty

I Love Protein, it doesn't make my hair hard at all! I never knew it would make a difference in my hair! I thought being a Natural I didn't need it, But I do!!

omachine

hi luna-

i think you and i are in the same boat. my hair isn't particularly fond of protein either. i tried the aphogee 2 minute reconstructor but i had a severe reaction to it. it made my hair crunchy and break off.
tonight, i mixed two eggs, some mayo and v05 conditioner for my protein treatment. keeping it simple works best for me. but continue to listen to your hair and find out what works for you. goodluck!