Naturals on a Low Low Manipulation Regimen?

Tamrin

unapologetic
Since I went natural Im not sure if its just plain laziness but I do very little to my hair. I BCed in June since then I co wash once or twice a week and clarify once a month. I detangle in the shower ( usually with my fingers) and apply a lil leave in and spray with some Glycerine and Peppermint EO mist and if Im in the mood apply a little Aloe vera Gel. I wear head bands to spice up my fro. I rarely sleep with a head scarf only a satin pillow case. I do nothing with my hair, if the fro flattens I spritz a lil and fluff up. In 5 months I have twisted it 3 times once as a style 2x to check length.

Any naturals on a low low mani regimen as well?

BC day

Now almost 5 months. ( lots of shrinkage I don't even bother blowing it out)

full fro now

Last edited:

curlyninjagirl

I am on a quest to create the ultimate lowest manipulation regimen possible....without looking like a HAM. LOL. I try to preserve my twists for a week to two weeks. I braid and tuck my ends away on a daily basis after I moisturize. Shampoo and DC once a week and that's pretty much it.

I've experimented with bi-weekly shampooing to lesson the amount I touch my hair but that was a major fail! I've also tried keeping it in one style and not touch it at all for a week; FAIL! I gotta moisturize or my ends get bone dry.

Last edited:

Tamrin

unapologetic
I have not used a store bought moisturizer in while Distilled water, vegetable Glycerine and 20 drops of peppermint EO has worked and I seal with a lil oil pref JBCO ( just rub it on).

Try it for a bit.

Nonie

I guess my regi is low mani. I wear braids or twists for months on end. I shampoo/condition/ACV rinse twice a week in the braids or twists. I rarely wear my hair loose and sometimes I don't even wear the twists/braids out. I can go for a whole week baggying and wearing headwraps/hats. I only just recently started applying S Curl to my ends but I prefer to have nothing at all on my hair. Having bare hair probably thwarts my retention but it is what I feel most comfortable with and I might still do it when baggying 24/7. I just washed my hair today and I haven't applied anything to it yet. I'm thinking this might be a baggying week.

Ese88

I do, but maybe its coz i have a twa and can't do mcuh to it. I wash and condition once a week and moisturise and seal everyday. Thats it/ I leave my afro as is or sometimes if im going out wear a headband. when i go out i mostly wear hats.

Tamrin

unapologetic
Im finding as a natural, my hair is becoming more agreeable. The trick to your products working well is: Before you shampoo or clarify rinse your hair for 2 to 3 minutes with just water first.

Tamrin

unapologetic
I guess my regi is low mani. I wear braids or twists for months on end. I shampoo/condition/ACV rinse twice a week in the braids or twists. I rarely wear my hair loose and sometimes I don't even wear the twists/braids out. I can go for a whole week baggying and wearing headwraps/hats. I only just recently started applying S Curl to my ends but I prefer to have nothing at all on my hair. Having bare hair probably thwarts my retention but it is what I feel most comfortable with and I might still do it when baggying 24/7. I just washed my hair today and I haven't applied anything to it yet. I'm thinking this might be a baggying week.

About the products left in the hair I agree with you. All those moisturizers I bought as a relaxed head, I have no use for right now. My spray mist beats them all. Hubby is in moisturizer heaven he does not know which one he should use LOL. My hair is making me lazy.

Qtee

Im on a low mainipulation routine..I wash, detangle and DC overnight on Fridays..in the warmer months, cowash twice weekly, rinse daily..WNG everday..in colder months, plait nightly and release in the morning..my hair is happy and so am I..But when I wore a relaxer I didnt so much..I wore a ponytail most days...my flat iron skills suck so I've only str8ened my hair twice this year. I like that I dont do much to my hair is its striving..BSL here I come..

Nayna

Unbothered
Right now I have it in 6 braids twisted in a bantu knot to protect my ends. I wash condition and detangle in these braids and I also let my hair airdry in these braids. So if I have to wear a braid out I can, but I haven't so I just wrap my hair in a silk or satin scarf and cover it with a beanie hat. At night I oil with castor oil and spray my braids with Jane Carter leave in. The only thing I switch up are the products. I may toss a wig on top when it gets colder for warmth, lol.

mousee09

well i justs took my kinky twist down ( which i had in for 4 months) and bc november 5. I trying to figure out what my regime is for my hair but at the same time im trying not to do as much with it. So today i wore it out and just cowashed it ( thinking of washing the conditional in the morning) and maybe wearing it out or in a hat tommorrow, not sure yet, but in december it i think im going to put some box braids in and keep them in for the next 3 months.

Tamrin

unapologetic
Right now I have it in 6 braids twisted in a bantu knot to protect my ends. I wash condition and detangle in these braids and I also let my hair airdry in these braids. So if I have to wear a braid out I can, but I haven't so I just wrap my hair in a silk or satin scarf and cover it with a beanie hat. At night I oil with castor oil and spray my braids with Jane Carter leave in. The only thing I switch up are the products. I may toss a wig on top when it gets colder for warmth, lol.

Can't get any lower than that. LOL

Fab_Nikki

The only thing that I can really do with my hair right now is co-wash (or shampoo once a week), apply Carefree Gold, alittle Keracare protein gel to my edges, Denman (or pik), headband or comb (to hold back one side).

FroFab

Due to some issues with thinning (breakage and shedding) in addition to life, I am in the same boat as Nonie. I have pixie braids in which I've had for almost 2 months, I'll put some twists in next. I co-wash about twice a week, leave a little condish in and either bun or braid the braids together. I poo wash whenever I feel like its been too long and I may spread a little residual Jane Carter NS on my ends after I've finished moisturizing DDs hair and have anything left on my hand.

I might try to start DCing more once I take these down, but for now it keeps the hair on my head without fear of breakage or shedding.

alive

I think it's safe to say I'm low mani as well (not on purpose though) it's mostly because I simply don't know what to do with my hair so once i wrestle it into a cute style--i leave it that way until a)i get bored or b) it stops being cute :lachen:

Freespirit02

I would say I fit into this category. When I first bced I co washed about everyday. For the past month I cowash MAYBE twice a week..if that. I just moisturize my hair with shea moisture and seal with my oil mix. Pick it out a bit..then go about my business. When I run little errands I just tie my hair up with a silk scarf. To be honest with you..sometimes I don't even moisturize everyday.. my hair is still super soft.

Tif392002

I have been on a low mani regimen since i BC on 12/15/09. i do the same things weekly ....I either have it braided in 6-8 braids, or flat twists-via (lacefronts, wigs, or benie caps.) In the summer i may co-wash once a week., but since its cooler i wash and deepcondition everysunday. I keep the braids in 2 -4 weeks at a time. I use castor oil on my scalp nightly and moisturize my ends nightly too.and i have retained ALL length,,, i am now working on thickness.

Last edited:

aa9746

Since I went natural Im not sure if its just plain laziness but I do very little to my hair. I BCed in June since then I co wash once or twice a week and clarify once a month. I detangle in the shower ( usually with my fingers) and apply a lil leave in and spray with some Glycerine and Peppermint EO mist and if Im in the mood apply a little Aloe vera Gel. I wear head bands to spice up my fro. I rarely sleep with a head scarf only a satin pillow case. I do nothing with my hair, if the fro flattens I spritz a lil and fluff up. In 5 months I have twisted it 3 times once as a style 2x to check length.

BC day

Now almost 5 months. ( lots of shrinkage I don't even bother blowing it out)

full fro now

I'm doing super low manipulation, it's the main thing that's getting me my length!

nikolite

I'm also low mani through constant protective styling.

Every two months I henna. Then I alternate each month between wearing a super low-to-no mani protective style for 4 weeks (either cornrows or box braids, which I wash and condition weekly or bi-weekly) and then wearing bunned twists, french braids, etc. that I redo weekly for another 4 weeks (while deep conditioning with protein weekly). The last two weeks of the first month I wear hats, headwraps, and a wig to make the style last until the end. Switching back and forth between long-term protective and weekly protective styles also keeps me from getting too bored.

The only manipulation is spraying or rinsing with water and then sealing with my leave-in twice a week. I've been doing this regimen 5 months now and I'm seeing good progress in thickness and length. Plus I have a lot more time on my hand to do more important things on a daily basis rather than messing with my hair. Love it.

pookaloo83

I wear my hair like it is in my siggy all the time. :look: I wash once a week. I co wash and add just a little bit of Giovanni shampoo into my conditioner. I feel better when I do that because to me, my hair feels cleaner. Then I add that Kimmay leave in and plait it down. In the morning I undo the plaits and put it in a puff. I do this for the week until it's wash day. :ohwell: I bc'd in April and barely had any hair. :lol:

My siggy is my hair as of last Saturday.

AimWard

I consider my regi low manipulation. I do not comb or brush my hair, finger detangling only. I wash and deep condition once a week. I use KCKT as my leave-in then I put my hair into about 16 twists set with KCCC. Once my twists are dry (about 24 hours later) I take them out and seal with a little shea butter. Every night before bed, I put my hair back into 4 twists, tie a satin scarf around it, and in the morning I take them down and fluff. No additional product or water needed. If my hair gets fuzzy mid week, I just splash with some water before I put my hair into my bed time twists and in the morning, good as new.

kmn1980

Emoticons don't affect me

Yup. I two-strand twist it and then braid the twists into two french braids going straight back. I usually keep it like that 10-14 days then I wash and DC but right now I'm on day 18. I'll take them down eventually and start all over again. At the midway point (around day 5 or 6), I will take down the braids, moisturize the twists, and re-braid.

lovepeacesoul

I have a low mani regimen and it's been great. I chopped in August and I'm loving the infrequent styling, washes, etc.

I wash once per week with HE HH shampoo and John Frieda Root Awakening Nourishing conditioner and then style. Usually its finger coils or bantu knots since I'm in the TWA phase.

Each day I spray my hair with a mix of carrier oils and essential oils.

if necessary, I rinse mid-week after a workout.

Then on the weekends I wear my hair in an "out" style.

I think I missed the whole TWA wash-n-go party because I chopped so late in the summer. But I'm glad that this regimen will hold me down through the Winter.

Here's a pic of this week's Bantu's!

Phaer

Your story mirrors mine almost exaclty, I BC on 11/04. I have never had box braids before, and I am getting a little tired of the kinky twists, do you have any pictures of cute box braids? and are they as easy on your hair as kinky twists? easy to remove?
well i justs took my kinky twist down ( which i had in for 4 months) and bc november 5. I trying to figure out what my regime is for my hair but at the same time im trying not to do as much with it. So today i wore it out and just cowashed it ( thinking of washing the conditional in the morning) and maybe wearing it out or in a hat tommorrow, not sure yet, but in december it i think im going to put some box braids in and keep them in for the next 3 months.

ZkittyKurls

I will be bcing tom night and have worked out in my head on how im going to style my hair. starting in december i will be doing mini twists and leaving them in for 4-6 weeks, cowash once a week after week three. clarify around 4-5 weeks and takedown, dc, and redo twists. i hate! doing my hair on a regular basis, so with this i can wkae up fluff spray some moisturizer on it, add a flower and go! :)

AKA-Tude

I do as little to my hair as possible!

BS washes 2X/week,
Eco/VO5/oil/butter mix,
fluff w/fingers
& go.

I have intro'd Qhemet BRBC
for a little more moisture
since some cool air has come about.

I do a headband once in a while
and since watching Black Girls Rock
wanna do a Malinda Williams look