Naturals Please Help Me Right Now! Nappy Frustrations!!!!

SignatureBeauty

I Love my Natural Nappy Hair but it will NOT LAY DOWN:mad: I want to put in a Phony Pony/Bun to go on my interviews because my Twa is just getting to boring and I am tired of looking at that same style, twist last me 2-3 days, I don't have anyone to braid at this moment, I don't want to get a relaxer, I just want my hair to lay down when I apply gel, I tried the Healthy Gels like IC fantasia with sparkletts, that did nothing, so I went back to old school brown gel and it layed it down but than it tooks me over 24hrs for my hair to dry and I started with Damp hair:eek: .

Now mind you I only have about a 2-3 inch Twa what the heck is gonna happen as it gets longer:( But when I started cleaning my home and taking kids to school and running errons I see the fro coming out I was Like:eek:! I know this is a phase but I need my hair to stay down, plastered to my head:lachen:. But Naturals please help me, I have thought about getting a wig but I will snatch that off before the day is over with. But I get tired of wetting it every morning, But I tried to do a rollerset but when I stepped outside I was back to a Puffy lil fro, No I am not complaining, I just want to style outside of braids I am tender headed. I am tired of head scarves I think I wore them out LOL!!! I just like the way my hair looks when it it pulled back, it looks very nice and neat.

But This is a Phase and I am sure it will pass, I am just venting just like anyone else.;)

Brownshugaz

your hair might be too short to completely lay flat. unless you shelac (sp) it with gel and brush it down hard like how they used to do fanga waves. I hope someone here can be more help

SignatureBeauty

Thanks Brownshugaz! You might be right, It might not be long enough to lay down, man it has been over 5 months, but I am in here, so I am just gonna learn to deal with it until it gets longer to lay down, but it was just erking me at the moment and I just wanted to vent.

But I am sure you all know how it is to have the same hair style for 5 months LOL!!!!! I saw a man the other day with some Fanga Waves and he had a fresh Perm lol!!!!!!

kitchen_tician

NappyParadise said:
Thanks Brownshugaz! You might be right, It might not be long enough to lay down, man it has been over 5 months, but I am in here, so I am just gonna learn to deal with it until it gets longer to lay down, but it was just erking me at the moment and I just wanted to vent.

But I am sure you all know how it is to have the same hair style for 5 months LOL!!!!! I saw a man the other day with some Fanga Waves and he had a fresh Perm lol!!!!!!

I still have a hard time laying down my hair, due to some shorter/broken pieces, from transitioning. I've just figured out that I must tie it down for a while, after it's wet with product.

Last edited:

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
Girl, I know you are just venting but why do u need 2-3 inches of hair to lay down flat? You betta sport your twa with confidence! Yeah, I know how it gets boring during this stage (oh, the memories) but it will only last for like a month or so before you get more length. ;) PATIENCE PATIENCE PATIENCE! Did I mention PATIENCE? Please be patient and don't try to force your hair to do something it can't do at the moment. And you might find out even later when your hair gets a few inches longer that it will not lay flat. You gotta work with what you got at the present moment. Before you know it, your hair will be longer than 2-3 inches. Patience is key. Also, trying not to think about your hair will help relieve your stress as well. Hope that helps.

mkstar826

supersonic
Poohbear said:
Girl, I know you are just venting but why do u need 2-3 inches of hair to lay down flat? You betta sport your twa with confidence! Yeah, I know how it gets boring during this stage (oh, the memories) but it will only last for like a month or so before you get more length. ;) PATIENCE PATIENCE PATIENCE! Did I mention PATIENCE? Please be patient and don't try to force your hair to do something it can't do at the moment. And you might find out even later when your hair gets a few inches longer that it will not lay flat. You gotta work with what you got at the present moment. Before you know it, your hair will be longer than 2-3 inches. Patience is key. Also, trying not to think about your hair will help relieve your stress as well. Hope that helps.

ITA! Don't try to make your hair do things it doesn't want to do no matter how long it is. If laying it down takes tons of gel and tying it down with a scarf and lots of brushing and manipulation then maybe that's a sign that it's not right for your hair. Find styles that are effortless and you'll be MUCH happier!

Mahalialee4

Try pure aloe veral gel, saturate hair, tie down with scarf till dry. That oughta do ya. It should just give any possible curl and wave defination as well as keep it down. You may get a few boing boing coils here and there. I really hope this works for you. bonjour

so1913

mkstar826 said:
ITA! Don't try to make your hair do things it doesn't want to do no matter how long it is. If laying it down takes tons of gel and tying it down with a scarf and lots of brushing and manipulation then maybe that's a sign that it's not right for your hair. Find styles that are effortless and you'll be MUCH happier!

Can't agree with you more.

1QTPie

Elder Sim
NappyParadise said:
I Love my Natural Nappy Hair but it will NOT LAY DOWN:mad: I want to put in a Phony Pony/Bun to go on my interviews because my Twa is just getting to boring and I am tired of looking at that same style, twist last me 2-3 days, I don't have anyone to braid at this moment, I don't want to get a relaxer, I just want my hair to lay down when I apply gel, I tried the Healthy Gels like IC fantasia with sparkletts, that did nothing, so I went back to old school brown gel and it layed it down but than it tooks me over 24hrs for my hair to dry and I started with Damp hair:eek: .

Now mind you I only have about a 2-3 inch Twa what the heck is gonna happen as it gets longer:( But when I started cleaning my home and taking kids to school and running errons I see the fro coming out I was Like:eek:! I know this is a phase but I need my hair to stay down, plastered to my head:lachen:. But Naturals please help me, I have thought about getting a wig but I will snatch that off before the day is over with. But I get tired of wetting it every morning, But I tried to do a rollerset but when I stepped outside I was back to a Puffy lil fro, No I am not complaining, I just want to style outside of braids I am tender headed. I am tired of head scarves I think I wore them out LOL!!! I just like the way my hair looks when it it pulled back, it looks very nice and neat.

But This is a Phase and I am sure it will pass, I am just venting just like anyone else.;)

Why are you slicking back you hair if it's that short? Anyway, it's probably too short to be slicked back. TWA is a temporary situation, I would just let it be, but that's just me.

MJ

Sorry, but you're fighting a losing battle. Nappy has isn't meant to "lay" down. I don't mean to be mean, but it's just what it is you know "poofy.":ohwell:

Cheleigh

My hair is 6-7", and it still won't "lay down." I can pull it back with gel, but although I don't have a TWA, I have a MSA (medium sized afro). It's just what it is--my hair grows out, not down, so I'll have an afro for a minute. People are probably tired of seeing my shake and gos, but no one ever says a word to other folks (YT) who wear their hair straight or down EVERY DAY. My afro is my version of wearing my hair "down."

I've also had the same hair style for 5 months. :)

tropicexotic

free @ last
I agree with everything said so far...I just wanted to add that when my hair was shorter and it took some elbow grease to get it slicked back into a ponytail I would get a horrible headache later on from all the tension. But don't lose hope, with length that sort of thing will get easier :)

Syrah

Don't feel bad girl - we all went through it.

There was a time during my transition where I HATED my hair, not because of my hair, but because of ME and not knowing what to do with it.

It's a learning process. And I can also understand wanting to mix up the styles, especially when preparing for multiple rounds of interviews. Hopefully you'll find something that works for you, and allows you some variety. :)

ThursdayGirl

NappyParadise said:

I am going to agree with the other ladies. Don't force it to do what it doesn't want to do. It'll be easier that way. I have very full 4a/4b hair that's about 7 inches long and it still won't lay down. If you want to lessen the volume, you could go with a braid or twistout.. then pull it back. Why don't you take advantage of the length and get com coils or a straw-set? It could look hot on you!

tetbelle

I agree love your TWA but if you really want to lay your hair down....when I had a TWA I used Fantasia IC gel (the clear one) and that really worked in laying my hair down flat if you use a lot of it. You should give it a try.

Deniece

Natural Beauty
Yeah I realized my hair is not gonna lay down for any length of time...

For phony ponies I either flat twist my hair then put the pony on or do 2 strand twists & put those in a pony then put phony pony over that

you gotta look for textured ponies ...

pattycake0701

NappyParadise said:

Hi NappyParadise,

I've never worked with at TWA before so I'm not sure if my advice will work for you, however, I wear puffs 99% of the time. I generally wear a scarf to avoid having to slick it down, but if I want to go without a scarf, I section my freshly conditioned and detangled hair into about 6 jumbo braids and let them dry. This stretches the hair and the texture and makes it easier to smooth into a bun. However, if its not smooth enough, while in the bun I'll spritz my hair with a little water and smooth on a nickel sized amount of moisturizer on the portion to be smoothed down and tie with a satin scarf until desired effect is achieved.

SweetNic_JA

I'm 4a/4b with a TWA that is about 5-8 inches. It looks like 1-2 inches because of shrinkage. I usually wear my hair with a little headband in the front, and I usually slick the front down with gel in the morning. The gel gets my hair flat but not straight, just a little wavy.

I always style my hair while it's still wet ( I wet my hair in the shower every morning). I spray my hair with the usual s-curl mixture and then I use BioSilk's Rock Hard Gelee on the first inch of my hair line to slick it back.

I purchase mine from Trade Secrets but it appears to be available at Walgreens.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
Carlie said:
Wow, if you can put 2-3 inches of hair in a bun or ponytail, you got some major skills! :)
:lachen: I'm sorry but this comment made me laugh! When I read it, I started picturing someone trying to put 2-3inches into a bun or ponytail. :lol:

FlowerHair

Reclaiming my time
My hair will always be a little frizzy in the front if I have a ponytail, unless I start with completely wet hair which I won't do because I'm lazy :)

I'm sure it's a phase also, first getting to know your natural hair and second waiting for it to grow out a little bit so it will be easier to get to lay down.

I was happy when I was able to do a slick ponytail, but even happier now, when I have a loose fluffy pony puff.

hotshot

Why not wear a shrunken fro? I have about 2-3 inches of hair, and I do nothing to it. It shrinks up to 1/4 to 1/2 and inch. If I might pick it with my k-cutter of use a towel to "shape" it, but otherwise its not that complicated???

Je Ne Sais Quoi

LOL! I don't have much help for you as I am in the same boat. My hair is hard to lay down when it's in it's natural state. My hair grows up and out. I did a slicked back pony tail today and it was hard to get it all inthere. First of all my hair is necklength (so short) and when it's wet it waves up. It's hard to grab hair that has shrunken the heck up and make a pony. I was successful by detangling after cowashing then apply the gel in sections and trying to hold it all down as best I could to grab into a ponytail. I feel ya!

SparklingFlame

Poohbear said:

MJ said:
Sorry, but you're fighting a losing battle. Nappy has isn't meant to "lay" down. I don't mean to be mean, but it's just what it is you know "poofy.":ohwell:

:yep: What they said!

I've been using a product called Cantu Break Cure Strengthening Treatment. I purchased this @ Walmart.

After I wash/condition, I put this on my hair to slick it down. It does a very good job for me.

Hope it works for you.:)

Faith

Originally Posted by MJ
Sorry, but you're fighting a losing battle. Nappy has isn't meant to "lay" down. I don't mean to be mean, but it's just what it is you know "poofy."
Actually it can lay down IF it's long enough. My 4b/a hair was easy to lay down once it was damp/wet. Couldn't be done while dry but definitely doable while wet. Give it time. :)

P.S. I gave this thread a 5 just cause somebody decided to give it a one. WTH?! It's not a bad thread..you needed some ideas...sheesh.

nurseN98

Ayiti cherie
Carlie said:
Wow, if you can put 2-3 inches of hair in a bun or ponytail, you got some major skills! :)
:lol:

I've bc/ been fully natural for 1 1/2 years now....to get over any of your humps you and 'patience' must become best friends...I'm talking go to the movies, stay on the phone all night type of friends. That is the only way to stay focused yet enjoy what you have at the time (trust me on this one :look: ). When your hair gets a little longer you will be able to do the ponytail..in the meantime, work your twa. :)

ETA: and don't forget to accesorize! Earrings, necklaces, makeup, MORE scarves...girl, you got options!

Last edited:

lovelymissyoli

tropicexotic said:
I agree with everything said so far...I just wanted to add that when my hair was shorter and it took some elbow grease to get it slicked back into a ponytail I would get a horrible headache later on from all the tension. But don't lose hope, with length that sort of thing will get easier :)

Like tropicexoctic mentioned --- headaches aren't worth a slicked back style and neither is a damaged hairline. Too much tension from trying to pull your hair back will do more harm than good.

Have you tried flat twists? You can flat twist your hair to your crown and then clip on your phony pony. But I'm confused --- if you have 2-3 inches of hair, how are you gathering all that hair into a ponytail :confused:?

Try browsing through some natural albums for style suggestions. I think w/ your length, styles such as finger coils, bantu knots unravelled, twist-outs, or a shrunken fro would look great. Also, try using little black or invisible clips to pull some of your hair back if that's what you really want to do.

DragonPearl

MJ said:

For real.

When my hair was your length, I didn't worry about having it laying down flat. I was sporting fros with side part or middle part and I would put some cute barrettes and pins in my hair. It was actually quite lovely. I may get back to this if I get tired of longer hair.