Naturals/Transitioners - How often do you use heavy protein?

Transitioning/Natural Ladies - How often do you use protein treatments in your hair?

• Never

Votes: 61 34.1%
  • Weekly

Votes: 22 12.3%
  • Every 2 Weeks

Votes: 24 13.4%
  • Monthly

Votes: 35 19.6%
  • Every 2 Months or More

Votes: 37 20.7%

• Total voters

brownsugarflyygirl

It seems like due to the chemicals impact on the hair shaft, relaxed ladies need heavy protein more often...I usually use a mild protein and moisturizing deep condish weekly and my hair feels great....

But maybe I am missing something...so I wanted to see how often you ladies use heavy protein...and which one do you use? Does using heat make a difference in whether or not you need to use one?

Heavy Protein = Reconstructors, Aphoghee, Emergencee, etc.

so1913

I don't think there is a need for it for my hair. I'm not stripping it of any protein through chemical processes, so I believe my protein level to be sufficient.

If anything I use moisturizing conditioners that contain protein and I'm fine. Protein specific conditioners in my hair world at this time are not a necessity.

PaperClip

brownsugarflyygirl said:
It seems like due to the chemicals impact on the hair shaft, relaxed ladies need heavy protein more often...I usually use a mild protein and moisturizing deep condish weekly and my hair feels great....

But maybe I am missing something...so I wanted to see how often you ladies use heavy protein...and which one do you use? Does using heat make a difference in whether or not you need to use one?

Heavy Protein = Reconstructors, Aphoghee, Emergencee, etc.

I had questions last week re. protein issues.... I now realize that I may have been overdoing the proteins.... So now I'm moving toward lighter proteins and did my first real moisturizing deep conditioner last weekend (Elasta DPR) and my hair feels really good...the best so far since starting my transition.

I haven't used any reconstructors, etc. at all since I started transitioning.

curlilocs

I don't do protein treatments either. I'm fully natural. Other than the mild doses of protein that occur in my conditioners and styling products I don't think I need it. Unless your hair is really weakened and damaged by chemical services or heat, I would keep protein treatment to a minimum, and even then it wouldn't be more than once a month at the most. Heavy reconstructirs can do more harm than good if overloaded on the hair.

Last edited:

Cheleigh

curlilocs said:
I don't do protein treatments either. I'm fully natural. Other than the mild doses of protein that occur in my conditioners and styling products I don't think I need it. Unless your hair is really weakened and damaged by chemical services or heat, I would keep protein treatment to a minimum, and even then it wouldn't be more than once a month at the most. Heavy reconstructirs can do more harm than good if overloaded on the hair.

ITA. I used Tigi Oatmeal and Honey conditioner this morning, and I consider that about as protein rich as I need. I don't relax, I use lots of moisture, and I don't use heat, so I don't see much damage that needs to be repaired with protein treatments. My hair really likes silk protein.

curlilocs

Cheleigh said:
ITA. I used Tigi Oatmeal and Honey conditioner this morning, and I consider that about as protein rich as I need. I don't relax, I use lots of moisture, and I don't use heat, so I don't see much damage that needs to be repaired with protein treatments. My hair really likes silk protein.

Off topic, but Cheleigh you must give me your review on the Tigi Oatmeal and Honey!

PaperClip

curlilocs said:
Off topic, but Cheleigh you must give me your review on the Tigi Oatmeal and Honey!

I humbly second this request because I have some and don't know what the HECK to do withit and Cheleigh is on my list as one of my hair twins!

Thanks in advance!

Cheleigh

RelaxerRehab said:
I humbly second this request because I have some and don't know what the HECK to do withit and Cheleigh is on my list as one of my hair twins!

Thanks in advance!

Rehab and Curlilocs

It was my first time using the conditioner. I did my cowash with VO5 tea therapy, rinsed, then applied the TIGI O&H. It's a thick conditioner, and it didn't feel like seaweed, so I wouldn't consider it a great detangler. I left in for about 5 minutes, and then rinsed. My hair felt well conditioned, but not as good as it feels when I use Trader Joe's Nourish, which is my HG moisturizing condish.

I added gel (Fantasia blue and BBD glass) then I rinsed out with cool water and added a little leave-in. My hair is still slightly damp hours later, which is actually what I want. My hair feels fluffy and well defined. I'll try the condish again tomorrow and report back--I don't hate it, but not sure I love it. The product has a lot of protein in it, and the plus side is that my hair doesn't FEEL like it has a lot of protein in it, which is a great thing.

curlilocs

Cheleigh said:
Rehab and Curlilocs

It was my first time using the conditioner. I did my cowash with VO5 tea therapy, rinsed, then applied the TIGI O&H. It's a thick conditioner, and it didn't feel like seaweed, so I wouldn't consider it a great detangler. I left in for about 5 minutes, and then rinsed. My hair felt well conditioned, but not as good as it feels when I use Trader Joe's Nourish, which is my HG moisturizing condish.

I added gel (Fantasia blue and BBD glass) then I rinsed out with cool water and added a little leave-in. My hair is still slightly damp hours later, which is actually what I want. My hair feels fluffy and well defined. I'll try the condish again tomorrow and report back--I don't hate it, but not sure I love it. The product has a lot of protein in it, and the plus side is that my hair doesn't FEEL like it has a lot of protein in it, which is a great thing.

Thanks Cheleigh!

jenteel

i just started using a heavy protein treatment
every six weeks b/c i color my hair
i may lay off of it in a few months 1ce i reach my peak results
usually i am a heavy moisturizer!!!!
i think any natural can do well with a protein conditioner every 1ce in a while to repair some daily damage from styling and the elements
many styling products contain protein anyway

Last edited:

nikkivale

The more i transition the less i notice that protein really does me any good. I did an Aphogee and I don't think i really even needed it and plus its really hard to do with natural hair IMO

ChocoKitty

I voted monthly because I'm adding Aphogee for damaged hair to my routine. My hair is fine/thin. I've found a heavy protein treat makes my hair much stronger and less fragile vs just using something like GPB.:)

glamazon386

I don't use a heavy protein on my hair. I find that I don't really need it as a natural. The light protein in my regular products is enough.

ToyToy

I answered weekly. I have started using Nexxus Keraphix as a pre-poo every week because I dyed my hair :)

mkstar826

supersonic
never. i only use light to moderate amounts of protein in moisturizers and conditioners to keep my hair strong. but since i don't color or use heat or do massive amounts of coming and styling frequently, i don't think i need a heavy treatment.

Ms Red

I don't do heavy protein treatments now that I am not relaxing. I use a light protein like ORS Replenishing Pack every couple of weeks.

GoldenBreeze

Every 8 to 12 weeks I apply an aphrogee treatment. Other than that, I moisturize. If my conditioner has a small amount of protien in it, I don't worry about it very much. This seems to work for my hair.

spritex

I use megatek every 2 weeks. I apply it as a DT for 5 mins, rinse thoroughly then follow with a moisturizing DT ( currently Pantene R &N breakage defense mask - which has some amino acids yet leaves my hair very soft). Sometimes I add olive or grapeseed oils to it. I also use a megatek concoction 3- 4 days a week on my scalp. As long as I moisturize religiously daily or twice a day - my hair has been fine. I low-poo or co-wash weekly and always follow with a moisturizing DT. The breakage has reduced tremendously. I shed but not so much that I worry about it. I do take a garlic supplement. I had a baby 6 months ago and my use of Megatek started after that so it's hard to tell if the shedding is post-partum or related to megatek. So far I have no bad effects so I am happy to continue. I believe my hair needs some protein to combat breakage which has been a long term problem for me. I just make sure to up the moisture too.

Austro-Afrikana

I'm transitioning, and it's only my relaxed ends that want to break and so, need the protein so i use affirm 5 in 1 every 2 weeks. Once i'm natural, i probably will use it less frequently as i won't have a demarcation line to worry about.

Truth

no heavy protein treatments here... the most I'll do is Elasta QPs intensive breakage control serum ( I think that's the name...:look:) ..and too me that's more of a light treament..I'll use it once every blue moon..

MummysGirl

I have used hard protein(keracare super reconstructor) only once this year so far...

I use Aphogee 2 min reconstructor (which is not a hard protein) when I remember, it may be once in 2 weeks , once in a month, once in 6 weeks. My DC (ORS Replenishing con) is a light protein... my leave-in Giovanni Direct has some protein in it so I have found that I don't need protein as much as I used to.

pmichael52172

I stopped using heavy proteins too. In fact I run from it when I see a large amount in any products. It will make my already strong hair hard (because I'm transitioning). Now that I've stopped relaxing, I don't need as much protein to replace what the chemicals stripped.

My 'poos and cons' have some mild form of protein so that is enough for me right now. I do still keep my Dudley's DRC and Tigi S-Factor conditioner on hand juuuuust in case I may need it one day.

jazzzmoods

Since recently going natural, I realise that my hair does not like protein much.....just light protein that may be in my products. As soon as something with a lot of protein touches my hair....it gets hard

Ronnieaj

I'm definitely the oddball here. My natural hair still loves protein. I tried to really reduce protein in my conditioners when I went natural and my hair was pretty PO'd at me. I started doing protein conditioners once a week (I DC 2x/week, once moisture, once protein) again, and my hair is great. I still do an Aphogee hard treatment every 6 weeks too. I know that's the exception to the rule, but my hair really does need a heavy dose on a regular basis.

Black Hoya Chick

no need. vo5 moisture milks has protein in it and thats what i am gonna start cowashing with. and before that, i used suave tropical coconut which had silk amino acids. add that to my high protein diet and i am a-ok.