Naturals/Transitioners - How often do you use heavy protein?

Transitioning/Natural Ladies - How often do you use protein treatments in your hair?

• Never

Votes: 61 34.1%
  • Weekly

Votes: 22 12.3%
  • Every 2 Weeks

Votes: 24 13.4%
  • Monthly

Votes: 35 19.6%
  • Every 2 Months or More

Votes: 37 20.7%

• Total voters

grownwomanaz

Love and Harmony
When I was fully relaxed I used heavy protein every 6 weeks, but now that I'm transitioning(13mos) I don't think I need the heavy stuff. I use a milder protein(Joico K-Pak, Aphogee 2min, or ORS Mayo) before and the next wash after using direct heat which is about once every 2 or 3 months. I have very little breakage if any at all.

I use once a week. Yogurt, eggs, coco nut oil, carrot oil, alvocodo oil. Mix together. Leave on for 1 hour then rinse out. I think that we can lose our protein from washing and day to day messings with our hair. I want my locs to be strong as they can be.

miss cosmic

i'm transitioning, i think i'm about 6 months post now or around there, and i dont use protein deliberately.
i tried to put raw egg on my hair once thinking i needed protein and it left my hair hard and rough to the touch. wont be doing that again.
i'v etried using ORS mayonnaise, but since i started transitioning it also leaves my hair rough to the touch. the most i do now i ORS replenishing pak mixed with plenty of oil and sometimes banana baby food. i use this about once a month just in case i need protein and i believe it's a light protein.

doing a final rinse with dilute acv really helped with the roughness btw.

Janet'

Because I am heavily colored, a deep protein treatment is needed every 6 to 8 weeks or so...Before I did this last color, I never used protein at all!!! But, after this triple process, I realized that what worked before doesn't work now, so I have begun incorporating it.

EllePixie

I only use a light protein monthly (GPB) or after I go back to curly when I have straightened. My hair is low porosity and coarse, so protein overload happens easily, especially with heavier proteins like wheat and keratin. I can do silk protein though.

HennaRo

My hair loves protein:lick: like I could use it everyday without any issues. Never have done a hard protein treatment though.