Naturals... what do u do immediately after washing???

IrisDaVirus

• Condition
  • Rinse
  • Add a leave-in or creamy moisturizer
  • Put hair in several sections and secure with either satin mini-scrunchies or clips
  • Let air dry overnight

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
BlackCardinal said:
On con wash days I just pull it back into a ponytail/puff. On days that I shampoo and deep condition and all that, I'll detangle in 4 sections before pulling it back (about once or twice a week). I always apply Giovanni leave-in to my wet hair. Sometimes I'll also use a styling/hold product if I want a sleeker look.
My hair has been in 50 million natural layers since my big chop :lol: The shortest layer in front is past my chin, back is just reaching brastrap.
Hey BlackCardinal! I see your pic comparison in your signature and you got some major shrinkage there! Your hair growth has really taken off since you've gone natural! :yep:

firecracker

I put on Humectress, part sections and apply s curl texturizing gel with a large tooth comb. My hair is 7 inches on top, perimeter is 5 inches and nape is about 3 inches. My hair has always grow in a boob style relaxed or natural. I have been natural for a year on Tuesday.

Cheleigh

This is a great thread. Thank you for the information. I was able to plan a path for action--for at least tomorrow, anyway.

sweetascocoa

firecracker said:
I put on Humectress, part sections and apply s curl texturizing gel with a large tooth comb. My hair is 7 inches on top, perimeter is 5 inches and nape is about 3 inches. My hair has always grow in a boob style relaxed or natural. I have been natural for a year on Tuesday.
congrats!!!

kitchen_tician

I'm still transitioning, so I'm not officially natural, but it sure feels like it. :lol:

*Poo & condition in 4 sections
*Apply a leave in, coconut oil, a moisturizer, or grease
*Make 4 braids & let it airdry overnight
*Unravel the braids and wear it loose or in a low curly pony

soontobenatural

This is a great thread!

I have a question - after washing, my hair takes a day or two before it "feels right" again. Does anybody else experience that?

My hair is 9-inches long when stretched.

Current routine:

Wash - Kenra shampoo and conditioner
Leave-in - Jamaican Lime & Mango
Twisting product: AV gel

jewel

I bought a microfiber towel on accident. I tried it on wet hair without product and my hair was a hot mess. It frizzed and looked out of control. I quess need to try it with product in hair while wet.
Anyway, typically after i wash my hair i apply Aveda leave in exlir, coconut oil and BB moisturizing lotion after i scrunch my hair with a towel to get rid of the excess water. Immediately after applying my mix i toss my hair forward and scrunch the ends ( sometimes i might give it a good shake). Finally, i let my hair air dry for 45minutes to an hour.

Poohbear

soontobenatural said:
This is a great thread!

I have a question - after washing, my hair takes a day or two before it "feels right" again. Does anybody else experience that?
Yes! Especially during a week when I wash once every 1-2 weeks. I notice that my hair gets softer and softer the longer I go without washing. Also, if I do a twistout, it gets more volume as the days go by without washing. :)

scribblescrabble2

I wash with Curl Junkie Hibiscus Bliss Shampoo, and I condition with Curls Curl Ecstacy. Then I use Giovanni Direct Leave in and Hemp Butter and I twist my hair. Or if I do individual braids, I make 10 plaits and let it air dry before braiding. My hair is 6.5 to 9 inches long when stretched.

MissJ

I apply a leave-in and a detangler while my hair is in four sections. I always reband them, and then do two braids, section by section, a la Cynthia McKinney's old look. That's surprisingly easy to do. I'm glad I thought to start doing this.

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
Poohbear said:
For all my natural ladies here... What do you do with your hair immediately after washing, rinsing, or wetting your hair with water???

Do you braid it up? Twist it up? comb it out in sections? Put it in a ponytail? Shake and go? Let it dry loose and unmanipulated?...What do you do?

Also, please indicate how long is your hair when stretched.

I look forward to your responses.Thanks in advance! :)

I apply a little Elucence MB and brush through w/ my Denman brush. The Elucence gets rid of all the tangles and is my leave-in conditioner. Then I shake and go letting it dry loose. I re-wet through-out the week w/o combing or manipulating but I do apply more product.

Sometimes after I wash I put my hair in a ponytail to dry also. My hair is about 5" below bsl (haven't measured lately).

@soontobenatural.....my hair is the same way. It dosen't feel right until about 2 or 3 days after washing. At that point I start getting the best curls!

Poohbear

lyphe said:
I bought a microfiber towel on accident. I tried it on wet hair without product and my hair was a hot mess. It frizzed and looked out of control. I quess need to try it with product in hair while wet.
Anyway, typically after i wash my hair i apply Aveda leave in exlir, coconut oil and BB moisturizing lotion after i scrunch my hair with a towel to get rid of the excess water. Immediately after applying my mix i toss my hair forward and scrunch the ends ( sometimes i might give it a good shake). Finally, i let my hair air dry for 45minutes to an hour.
Lyphe, I like your hair in your avatar!

Ayeshia

shakle it out and go oh and spray some leave in on it...but now my hair is getting too "wild" and big to wear the wash n go everyday, esp at work. so I put in in a low ponytail...see siggy.

Poohbear

Ayeshia said:
shakle it out and go oh and spray some leave in on it...but now my hair is getting too "wild" and big to wear the wash n go everyday, esp at work. so I put in in a low ponytail...see siggy.
PRETTY! your hair has come a long way Ayeshia! :up:

sugaplum

Star Shooter
Hi Poohbear :wave: I :love: the avatar.

At night, after Rinsing/CW I use Paul Mitchell "The Conditioner." I do not comb this through.

In the morning, my hair is super soft. :woot:

Poohbear

Thanks sugaplum! I've been thinking about that PM The Conditioner.

Any more responses??? :grin:

Crissi

I prolly have about an inch of hair at the moment, i wash,condition and spray on mymoisturizer. When i did have hair id do the same thing, and braid it into8-12 plaits and leave itto dry

hairIAM

Excellent thread poohbear. Anymore responses?? Especially people with 4a/b hair that is about 2-3 inches stretched.

Minx

I'm natural, 4b, w/ approx 4-5 inches of hair.

After washing, I apply MNT leave-in condish and then spritz with one of my homemade sprays:

Either my "heavy" spray:
8oz spring water mixed w/ 1 Tbls Suave condish and 1 Tbls Kemi Oyl.
Let dry, then apply Natty Dred creme to my strands and do twists.
OR
Use my "light" spray :
8oz spring water mixed w/ 1 Tsp Herbal Essence condish and 1 Tsp castor oil.
Then finger-pick and wear a shrunken fro.

I'm really digging picking out with my fingers.
I like the look of my shrunken, coily fro. :grin:

Besides, using my fingers is saving my strands from all the tearing out that a pick can do. Learned this lesson real quick!!!

dk

Shawnee66

After washing my hair I usually wrap it up in my turbo towel for about 15-20 mins, then rub Shealoe all over my hair and twist. This week I tried doing twist on the day after I washed it and it was an experience I don't think I would try again anytime soon. I still had to spritz my hair to get the twist to stay so I might as well stick to doing it the same night I wash my hair.

pattycake0701

This what I've been doing for the last few months....after my final rinse, I wrap a regular bath towel around my head for about 30 minutes. I put my hair in two sections, coat each section with Pantene Extra Liso Combing Creme and Blue Magic Coconut grease (I put extra grease on the ends). I massage the outer parameters of my scalp with WGO. I put my hair in two loose buns using plastic hair clips and tie a satin scarf taut around my hair making sure it is completely covered. My hair is about 8-10 inches long (I'm guessing).

cmw45

It really depends on the weather and what sort of condition my hair is in. During the winter, on days where the weather hasn't been to cold or harsh (I live in upstate NY) I'll let it air dry and rock it sans any product at all. During the summer, I'll rock it the same way, or spray in a little S-curl to let it absorb the moisture from the air. This routine is subject to change as I am currently on a quest to find the best products for my hair (so far my favorites are the cheapies; S-Curl and Suave Tropical Coconut Conditioner.)

ShaniKeys

after washing: detangle, condition, put leave-in conditioner and let it airdry (if I have time) or dry under a hooded dryer. Once it's dry I twist it, flat twist it or do bantu knots (depending on my mood):)

songbyrd517

After washing with shampoo, I usually add moisturizer, put it into two braids and let it dry about 70 % (unless I am going to bed, then I just leave it braided until morning). Then I take out the braids, and put it into a pony tail, like the one in my avatar. When I rinse my hair between shampoos, I just smooth it up into a ponytail while damp, tie a scarf around my edges for a little while, then leave it be. My avatar shows dry hair that had been rinsed the morning before. This was about the fifth day after washing with shampoo.

By the way, my hair was 13.5 inches from crown to tip stretched the last time I checked (about a month and a half ago), and I am 5'5". It should be a little longer now! (I hope :look: ). It is hard to tell in the pictures below because I had a big stupid bump at the ends and it is a little longer in the back, but it was about an inch past my shoulders.

Here is my dry natural hair (larger avatar pic):

Here is my natural hair roller-set then flat-ironed:

(Sorry this one is so dark, I am facing front with my head hung and swung to the side)

Last edited: