Naturals what do you do with your hair before bed?

ThePerfectScore

Since my hair got some real length, I don't know what to do with my hair before I go to sleep. When I wake up my curly fro is all smushed down, especially on the sides. It sorta looks like a nappy mohawk :look:. All smooshed on the sides because I'm a side sleeper.

When I was relaxed it was easy- wrap your hair. But what do relaxed people do to preserve the wash n go. Now I have to wake up and wet my hair in the shower in order to get my bouncing curls back.

beanie44

When I try to preserve my curls I gather all hair on top of my head like a pony tail but towards the front and I put a loose metal free Goodys elastic on my hair.
Next day I take off the elastic wet my hands with water and a little leave-in conditioner run hands through my hair and shake. This is called pineappling the hair. If you can't get hair in one pony do smaller ones up toward top so you don't flatten the curls. This will also elongate the curls some. HTH

SimJam

depends on the style Im in

if its a twistout I just put on a headband and put into a loose puff or I may pinapple it (put into abt 5 - 8 small puffs) and put on a bonnet or scarf. In the morning I just re fluff with some BRBC

if im in twists I just sleep on them, Ive never been a scarf bonnet lover, they normally come off in my sleep anyways. If they're a lil wonky in the morning I'll add some hair dew and put on a scarf for abt 15 to 20 mins and Im good to go.

LovinLea

Ooh, now I finally get what pinappling is!

I just tie it downand in the morning I put on my spray on moisturizer and pull it apart. It never looks as good as it does the first day, though.

Nonie

*Nonie holds OP's hand and sits her down for a good talk from Mama*

My dear child, if you have type 4 hair that is natural, you're asking for problems if you dare go to bed with loose hair. :nono: Even when my hair was this short:

I would plait it for the night and baggy (S Curl applied) so that it'd be easy to comb in the morning and to style into this knot-free, tangle-free fluffy puff:

Knots and tangles and hair that takes forever to style are things I have not experienced in my hair-growing journey because I don't forget what type of hair I have. I don't try to emulate other hair types or treat my hair like it can do things they can. Type 3 and 2 and 1 or relaxed heads can just tie a scarf and go to bed and have normal hair next day. Type 4 will just be asking for knots and tangles and a headache to boot. I have avoided those because from when I was knee-high, my mother plaited my hair for the night. Since 2003, I've only had to detangle my hair once, and that was the day I went to bed w/o plaiting my hair. Never again.

Anyway, now that my hair is in twists 24/7, when I go to bed, I just put on a plastic cap and call it a night. If I know what style I will we be wearing the next day, I just style my hair before tying Saran wrap for the night. For example:

This wrap was done:

...because I knew that the next morning I wanted to wear my protective style updo:

So in the AM, all I did was add that clip and head out the door. Easy peasy!

miss stress

I keep dd's hair in 4 sections, I put 2 twists in each section spritz with water put some oil on it, put a baggy on it, a scarf on top of tht and call it a night. It keeps the hair streched so its easy to style in the morning and its soooo miost.

Lita

If my hair is in twists/buns I will let my hair down/put a silk scarf on...If I have a roller set or wash n go/I will put a satin bonnet on...(Call it a NIGHT)

Happy Hair Growing!

nestlequik

I try to twist it at night with some moisturizer, then put on scarf on it before I go to bed. If I'm really lazy I'll just moisturize then put a scarf on. My hair is always smooshed if it's loose, but I rather protect it with the scarf then go to bed without one.

CurlyNiquee

My hair stays in protective styles often, especially when I go to sleep (about 11 flat twists). The only time I will let it be free with a silk cap on is if I plan to wash in the next day or so.

Allandra

If my hair is straight, I'll apply a few drops of moroccan oil, and I'll cross wrap it or pull it back in a loose bun and put on a satin scarf.

If my hair is in it's natural state, I'll apply a little Qhemet Burdock Root Butter Cream, and put on a satin scarf.

Amoreofcurls

For my wash n goes, I rub some argan oil (proclaim or one and only brand) in and pull the back half of my hair into a banded ponytail...since the front sides and the crown of my head are looser, I loosley pin them back...In the morning I just scrunch a small amount of Giovanni Direct leave into my ends, shake, tossle and go

Day 1
6-7.jpg

Night time
IMG_4206.JPG
Day 2
33ud2df.jpg

I posted a thread showing how I maintain my twist and braid outs
How to get 5-7 day hair (twist/braid outs)

Last edited:

kellistarr

I plait my hair in 2 to 4 sections. About and inch from the ends I twist with some kind of oil and water. Then I tuck the ends into the plait and slip on my satin cap. This takes less than 6 minutes. In the morning, I apply oil or leave-in to my hands ( I never touch my hair without emollients) undue plaits, arrange hair, scrunch in some product on the ends and that's it. This takes about 7 minutes.

Amazhaan

*Nonie holds OP's hand and sits her down for a good talk from Mama*

My dear child, if you have type 4 hair that is natural, you're asking for problems if you dare go to bed with loose hair. :nono: Even when my hair was this short:

I would plait it for the night and baggy (S Curl applied) so that it'd be easy to comb in the morning and to style into this knot-free, tangle-free fluffy puff:

Knots and tangles and hair that takes forever to style are things I have not experienced in my hair-growing journey because I don't forget what type of hair I have. I don't try to emulate other hair types or treat my hair like it can do things they can. Type 3 and 2 and 1 or relaxed heads can just tie a scarf and go to bed and have normal hair next day. Type 4 will just be asking for knots and tangles and a headache to boot. I have avoided those because from when I was knee-high, my mother plaited my hair for the night. Since 2003, I've only had to detangle my hair once, and that was the day I went to bed w/o plaiting my hair. Never again.

Anyway, now that my hair is in twists 24/7, when I go to bed, I just put on a plastic cap and call it a night. If I know what style I will we be wearing the next day, I just style my hair before tying Saran wrap for the night. For example:

This wrap was done:

...because I knew that the next morning I wanted to wear my protective style updo:

So in the AM, all I did was add that clip and head out the door. Easy peasy!

Thanks for this post, Nonie!!! I learned alot.

Sent from my DROIDX using Long Hair Care Forum App

Vashti

If my hair is loose I baggy my hair. if it's in twists or a certain style I want to keep I wrap it in a silk scarf.