Naturals: What do you miss most...

Syrah

about not being relaxed?

Going natural is a transition - just like getting relaxed. And we all love our freedom and learning about our new texture and yada yada yada - this thread ain't about that.

What about those things that you miss? I miss:

- being able to rollerset. I tried to roller set this curly mess about a month ago. I knew when I started what it was going to end up looking like - but I persisted. I even followed MaCherie's steps word for word like it was the Gospel. I was so excited an hour later after I got all 20-some-odd curlers in my head. Dried that mess. Took it out. I had BEAUTIFUL curls that stood about 3 inches from my damn head where my roots frizzed out to my natural texture HAHA. My boyfriend came in - smothered a laugh and said - "uhhh...is that the look you were going for". :lol:

- working out and not having to worry about one DRIP of moisture expanding my hair to near-blimp status. My hair loves moisture and manages to find any DRIPLET in the air.

Is there anything you ladies miss?!

Brownie

When I was texturized, it was easier to measure my length. I also had elongated braid outs which showed my length. I also liked doing roller sets. I still have to try a roller set as a natural --however, I don't miss:

--touch ups
--2 different textures
--thin hair

It's also nice being able to style my hair now just like I did when it was texturized, but now, I don't have to bother with touch ups and different textures. I like playing with my curls also and I like the thickness of my hair. My hair routine is simplier now, and I get more hair compliments. When I was texturized and people complimented me about my hair, I always said, "thanks. I'm texturized." Now, when I get compliments, it means more because I know this texture isn't going to change due to overprocessing or underprocessing. It is what it is.

ProductJunkie

I miss my bun.... As soon as my hair is long enough.... I will be sooo happy to bun it again... I used to wear buns faithfully 4x a week, everyother day, leaving my hair down the next day to avaoid any breakage.

JustKiya

Ummhmm!! I loved to comb my hair (for the hot second I could deal with it long enough to actually COMB) without worrying about breaking off my ends.

Ntrlmystik

What I do miss is a sprial set on flexirods...that was one of my favorite styles. However, the tradeoff is much better of this way cause I sure as hell don't miss is having a bush on my head 3 weeks post relaxer and having to deal w/ that and whatever else grows after that for the next 3 weeks! Also, like babyblue...I do not miss dryer time!

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.
I miss my edges laying down ALL DAY instead of this damn halo effect I get with my hair pulled into a puff.

I miss flat bangs. I can't really have bangs with natural hair unless it's braided/twisted and that looks kinda 'young' (i.e., lil kid young) to me.

MissDiva

I use to always wear my hair in a doobie. I could wrap my hair at night without a mirror, tie it up and go to bed. Wake up in the morning - comb it down and be done...... Those were the good days.

However, I think the wrap thinned my hair!

inthepink

I miss the short styling time every 2 weeks
I miss knowing how to make my hair look salon good at home

ETA: Non-reversion!

Last edited:

1QTPie

Elder Sim
The only thing I miss is the feel of wind on my scalp, but I can get that back if I cut my hair again. Other than that, I don't miss anything about relaxing.

joyous

nappywomyn said:
Ummhmm!! I loved to comb my hair (for the hot second I could deal with it long enough to actually COMB) without worrying about breaking off my ends.
I agree with this one.

ThickHair

I don't miss a darn thing about relaxed hair. Honestly, I wish I would have gone natural sooner.

I don't miss:
The marathon relaxing sessions
Getting up 1 hour earlier to do my hair
Not swimming
Burn neck and forehead
Worrying about humidity
Worrying about my hair when I am sexing

EMJazzy

Happily retired
I've been natural for so long that there isn't much I miss about being relaxed...the only thing I can think of is that when I was relaxed I could see the actual length of my hair. That's it!

B

Bublnbrnsuga

I miss roller wraps, even though they never really came out as planned. Other than that, not much. Even a bun was difficult for me when I was relaxed because if a section would bunch up, I would have to do the bun all over again. Not the case since being natural. The 'bunches' now add a little umpfh to my buns.