Naturals: What do you miss most...

Victorian

old head
I miss my bangs, which is funny because I had been trying to grow them out before I transitioned :lol:

Also I miss regular combing and brushing. I just like the act of using the brush and feeling it on my scalp. I don't straighten very often so I don't get to use my paddle brush much these days.

natstar

I miss being able to see true length.

I miss combing w/out going through the massive task of detangling.

I miss the side-swept bang-but I'm growiing out my hair now and I think I can do it with the natural hair now.

CurleeDST

I miss nothing about relaxing. What I do find discouraging is how tangled my hair gets on the ends to the point that little knots form between 2 strands or one strand. I have yet to figure out how my hair ties on itself! I think think when I see that, that it needs to be cut and that is one more step away from my length goal. I do not care HOW MUCH I detangle.....the next day I will have tangles and knots.

Since I have never been this long all natural eventhough I been natural since 1994 (I always wore it ultra short and chic or just average length) I just didn't think about the challenge of keeping it detangled as it grows toward brastrap length. I am actually in a quandry right now over it.

Also I can always use my Maxiglide to straighten my hair if I want the straight look but wet it to flip back to kinky/curly in a flash.

MsNadi said:
about not being relaxed?

Going natural is a transition - just like getting relaxed. And we all love our freedom and learning about our new texture and yada yada yada - this thread ain't about that.

What about those things that you miss? I miss:

- being able to rollerset. I tried to roller set this curly mess about a month ago. I knew when I started what it was going to end up looking like - but I persisted. I even followed MaCherie's steps word for word like it was the Gospel. I was so excited an hour later after I got all 20-some-odd curlers in my head. Dried that mess. Took it out. I had BEAUTIFUL curls that stood about 3 inches from my damn head where my roots frizzed out to my natural texture HAHA. My boyfriend came in - smothered a laugh and said - "uhhh...is that the look you were going for". :lol:

- working out and not having to worry about one DRIP of moisture expanding my hair to near-blimp status. My hair loves moisture and manages to find any DRIPLET in the air.

Is there anything you ladies miss?!

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
CurleeDST said:
I miss nothing about relaxing. What I do find discouraging is how tangled my hair gets on the ends to the point that little knots form between 2 strands or one strand. I have yet to figure out how my hair ties on itself! I think think when I see that, that it needs to be cut and that is one more step away from my length goal. I do not care HOW MUCH I detangle.....the next day I will have tangles and knots.

Since I have never been this long all natural eventhough I been natural since 1994 (I always wore it ultra short and chic or just average length) I just didn't think about the challenge of keeping it detangled as it grows toward brastrap length. I am actually in a quandry right now over it.

Also I can always use my Maxiglide to straighten my hair if I want the straight look but wet it to flip back to kinky/curly in a flash.
I do not miss anything about relaxing either...the potential scalp burns was nothing to play with. I hated the burning the feeling and I hated even when I got just one scalp burn.
I could say I miss hair length but I can have long hair with natural hair now!

CurleeDST, do you wash your hair often? I found that washing only once every 1-2 weeks has cut down DRAMATICALLY on the tangles and knots. Also protective styles keep tangles and knots at bay as well. ;)

CurleeDST

Thanks for the advice. I do co-wash daily b/c I work out (run and lift weights) and I get very sweaty so I co-wash to rinse the salty sweat out of my hair and scalp. Not sure what other options I have since I go to the gym or workout in my home gym 4 to 5 days a week.

Poohbear said:
I do not miss anything about relaxing either...the potential scalp burns was nothing to play with. I hated the burning the feeling and I hated even when I got just one scalp burn.
I could say I miss hair length but I can have long hair with natural hair now!

CurleeDST, do you wash your hair often? I found that washing only once every 1-2 weeks has cut down DRAMATICALLY on the tangles and knots. Also protective styles keep tangles and knots at bay as well. ;)

MissJ

JCoily said:
What chu talkin bout Willis?
Well, I try to do stuff to make my hair look cute. One day he, my sister, and I were going out to dinner. Well, I washed my hair, put a leave-in to define the coils and just let it dry. I brought my sister home and said I was ready to go. He said that he wasn't going anywhere, because I didn't comb my hair. He said it was knotty and not a real afro. Uh oh, he's back from church. I'll tell the rest later.

Robin D. Groover

I love my natural hair. My hair performs 100% better without a straight relaxer.

In the mid nineties my natural curl was chemically altered with Design Essentials Time Release relaxer and was awesome. The curl pattern was loose like Kelis curly natural, yet my straight look was bouncy and shiny like Oprah's healthy hair days.

Your strength is in your curl (natural texture). No matter if you choose to relax or not. Overprocessed hair that strips the curl can be pressed off physically or chemically changed.

Robin D. Groover

Tangled Ends

1. Apply a hydrating shampoo that has a smoothing effect
  2. Apply conditioner that is creamy with a low molecular weight(easy penetrating)
  3. Apply the conditioner into 4 sections concentrating on saturating the mid-shaft and ends.
  4. Rinse Rinse Rinse
  5. Apply cream leave in conditioner concentrating on the ends
  6. Detangle using a hard rubber wide tooth comb
  7. Begin combing small slices from nape area moving upward to the top of the head using horizontal partings
  8. Detangle hair mid shaft to ends
  9. Do not start at the root area and comb down
  10. Trim a small amount every four-six weeks until tangles cease.

MissJ

Re: Tangled Ends

Some people can't take a joke, I guess. Anyway, my dad doesn't like my hair, since it was really long and relaxed before. He says that I'm going to regret this. I cut it before I moved back home, as a result of my roommates' raising roaches, which made me sick to my stomach and being really nasty in general.

Anyway, the thing about going places with him... He said that I couldn't go with my hair like that, but I just think he wanted to go out with some woman. Of course, my sister was telling my mom that he didn't want to go anywhere because of my hair.

When I first got here, he asked me to go to church with him. I guess he figured that I would get my hair straightened, but I didn't. Well, he hasn't asked me to go anymore. I guess he'd be embarrassed.

Now, he's saying that I won't get a job with my hair like this, which may be a valid observation. I may get braids or get a wig. I think I'd feel weird wearing a wig, though. Really, I don't miss anything, but it's only been a month.

CurleeDST

I am proof positive you CAN get a job with natural hair whether BIG or low cut. Black folks need to get over "you won't get a job with that hair". Maybe not if black folks are the one doing the hiring b/c we have problems with it in a professional corporate environment!

MissJ said:
Some people can't take a joke, I guess. Anyway, my dad doesn't like my hair, since it was really long and relaxed before. He says that I'm going to regret this. I cut it before I moved back home, as a result of my roommates' raising roaches, which made me sick to my stomach and being really nasty in general.

Anyway, the thing about going places with him... He said that I couldn't go with my hair like that, but I just think he wanted to go out with some woman. Of course, my sister was telling my mom that he didn't want to go anywhere because of my hair.

When I first got here, he asked me to go to church with him. I guess he figured that I would get my hair straightened, but I didn't. Well, he hasn't asked me to go anymore. I guess he'd be embarrassed.

Now, he's saying that I won't get a job with my hair like this, which may be a valid observation. I may get braids or get a wig. I think I'd feel weird wearing a wig, though. Really, I don't miss anything, but it's only been a month.

misspriss

CurleeDST said:

What she said!

Qurlyqt

I won't lie - I miss dry roller wraps! When I was relaxed, I got my hair done every Friday. I'd get a roller set on large plastic rollers, then have the curls combed through, wrapped, back under the dryer for 5 minutes and my hair was full and bouncy all week!

Wait a minute, did I say I missed the roller set? Come to think of it, the stylist would sit me under the dryer and set the timer on 1 hour. I tried to read a book and after a looooong time of that HOTNESS, I'd turn around only to discover that the timer was now 53 minutes remaining! Ooooh, I hated sitting under the dryer!

I guess I just miss my hair bouncin' and behavin'... not all the stuff leading up to it.

morehairplease

Robin D. Groover said:
  1. Apply a hydrating shampoo that has a smoothing effect
  2. Apply conditioner that is creamy with a low molecular weight(easy penetrating)
  3. Apply the conditioner into 4 sections concentrating on saturating the mid-shaft and ends.
  4. Rinse Rinse Rinse
  5. Apply cream leave in conditioner concentrating on the ends
  6. Detangle using a hard rubber wide tooth comb
  7. Begin combing small slices from nape area moving upward to the top of the head using horizontal partings
  8. Detangle hair mid shaft to ends
  9. Do not start at the root area and comb down
  10. Trim a small amount every four-six weeks until tangles cease.

thanks so much for posting this!

Lucia

Bella_Ballerina said:
The only thing I miss was rocking a straight look without any reversion in 90+ degree weather.
That would be the one thing I'd miss if I ever could have that when I was relaxed, my hair still curled up, and pouffed. If I had some of the advantages other people do when they relax, I probably would again but I still had to break out the blowdryer and flat iron or curling iron for straight hair. It was always like a texturizer that made my hair look and feel thin. So no I don't miss a thing.

Last edited:

IrisDaVirus

Honestly, I don't miss anything about my relaxed hair. If I could do it again, I would've stayed natural the first time I went natural.

Last edited:

Lucia

PerfectDoak said:
I miss being able to get away with only washing my hair once a week.
OFF TOPIC: PD, you're hair looks beuatiful, I love the 2-tone colour, you're giving me the urge to dye or highlight.