NATURALS!What is the best flat iron for 4C/4B natural hair? HELP!

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
You can roller set your hair and flat iron your roots. You don't need the highest heat to do it, either. I brought a Wal Mart iron called Pro for 20 bucks and an Andiss flat iron for 15$. These 2 irons blew my solia and Sedu irons away. I have been doing this too often for my liking. I'm starting to rely too much on heat to style my hair to get a strait look. That is why I'm stopping using heat because I may heat train my NG. I don't want to do that, anymore.

Loveygram

Yes! Hana Professional Results album | Janet' | Fotki.com, photo and video sharing made easy. <== Here is the link that takes you through the process of how I got the results. To answer your question though, I washed, blow dried in sections (using the tension method) and then I used the comb-chase method with the flat iron.

Thank you!!! I seem to do others better than I do my own!!!

Love your results !

I have 2 flat irons - T3 tourmaline wet/dry and a Hana Elite 100% 1" ceramic. I also have 3 electric pressing combs, 2 of which are ceramic. a few years ago I did press and curls so experimenting with diff combs and finally trying out flat irons was bound to happen.

Pressing combs: I liked the gold plated one the best but I was used to it. The ceramic ones didn't seem to work as well but the teeth set in those combs were not as fine and one was bulky to handle.

Flat irons: Both T3 wet/dry (got on ebay cheap)and the hana (misikko.com - was an early xmas gift asked for :grin:)work very well. I recently learned about the comb shase method and looks like that helps a lot.

Almost forgot had a Maxiglide(original model) which I gave to my DGD, I loved the results I got using it on her hair (3b/c) but I had trouble doing my own hair. However back then I didn't really give it a chance.

I just straightened last week for the first time in over a year using my new present the Hana. Janet's results were what convinced me to try. I used 350 heat but used the comb chase on only one section and the diff was very noticeable. Sorry I can't find the picture (which wasn't all that anyway :lachen:) I plan to try again maybe for Turkey day if I have time. Other wise, it will be awhile because I did lose a lot of ends again.

I used Giovanni Straight Fast and argon oil on top of my homemade leave-in inspired by kimmaytube. Still looking for the perfect combo:drunk:

Good luck!:yep:

Janet'

Love your results !

I have 2 flat irons - T3 tourmaline wet/dry and a Hana Elite 100% 1" ceramic. I also have 3 electric pressing combs, 2 of which are ceramic. a few years ago I did press and curls so experimenting with diff combs and finally trying out flat irons was bound to happen.

Pressing combs: I liked the gold plated one the best but I was used to it. The ceramic ones didn't seem to work as well but the teeth set in those combs were not as fine and one was bulky to handle.

Flat irons: Both T3 wet/dry (got on ebay cheap)and the hana (misikko.com - was an early xmas gift asked for :grin:)work very well. I recently learned about the comb shase method and looks like that helps a lot.

Almost forgot had a Maxiglide(original model) which I gave to my DGD, I loved the results I got using it on her hair (3b/c) but I had trouble doing my own hair. However back then I didn't really give it a chance.

I just straightened last week for the first time in over a year using my new present the Hana. Janet's results were what convinced me to try. I used 350 heat but used the comb chase on only one section and the diff was very noticeable. Sorry I can't find the picture (which wasn't all that anyway :lachen:) I plan to try again maybe for Turkey day if I have time. Other wise, it will be awhile because I did lose a lot of ends again.

I used Giovanni Straight Fast and argon oil on top of my homemade leave-in inspired by kimmaytube. Still looking for the perfect combo:drunk:

Good luck!:yep:

Aww! I'm glad that I inspired you! I want the Hana Elite! I gave the Hana Professional to my mom (actually, she bought it from me because it worked so well on her hair and I straighten less often that she does). I am a firm believer in the comb-chase method...It does make all the difference in the world! Technique in my opinion is as important if not more than the flat iron itself! Try again!

Very, very pretty! You did a great job!

Thank you very much!

fluffyforever

I too love the Hana irons. I have the Hana Elite (got it brand new from Ebay $30). It makes my hair so soft and shiny. Seriously, my hair feels like my bf's (white) hair after I straighten; it is strange...

The Hana Elite is 100% ceramic plates with temperature control by degrees. My sister got the Amika flat iron at the mall, also 100% ceramic, and haggled the price down to $50 from $130 (she is aggressive, I suck at haggling with those kiosk salesmen). I used it once and got the same results as my Hana Elite. There are other 100% ceramic irons out there too that you can find cheap. But I really think any iron with smooth plates and even heating will do a good job.

Technique is very important as well though. Janet mentioned the comb-chase that so many use. I like to do the boar brush-chase instead. Smooth strands make soft flat iron hair full of bounce.

Loveygram

I too love the Hana irons. I have the Hana Elite (got it brand new from Ebay $30). It makes my hair so soft and shiny. Seriously, my hair feels like my bf's (white) hair after I straighten; it is strange...

The Hana Elite is 100% ceramic plates with temperature control by degrees. My sister got the Amika flat iron at the mall, also 100% ceramic, and haggled the price down to $50 from $130 (she is aggressive, I suck at haggling with those kiosk salesmen). I used it once and got the same results as my Hana Elite. There are other 100% ceramic irons out there too that you can find cheap. But I really think any iron with smooth plates and even heating will do a good job.

Technique is very important as well though. Janet mentioned the comb-chase that so many use. I like to do the boar brush-chase instead. Smooth strands make soft flat iron hair full of bounce.

Wow! Congrats! You both did Really good! We chased a few HE's on Ebay first. I must say, I really like it.

IA that an iron with smooth plates, even heat used with a good technique should get the job done.

I guess the best tool/method eventually is the one that works best 4 U :yep:.

Mandy4610

I own and love the maxiglide mp and the 1" sedu. If o were to choose between the two I would choose the maxiglide because it gets my hair straight. I would say sedu gives better smoothness, while maxiglide gives better strarghtness. Does that make sense...lol. Usually I do a pass with maxiglide and a quick pass with sedu. I could survive without sedu, but I need my maxiglide in my life if I am looking to go relaxer straight.

fluffyforever

I was so lucky. The seller had 2 for bid starting at $20 each or Buy 1 now for $30. The person said they got them for free at work (a salon I guess) and she didn't need anymore flat irons around the house. I had just learned about the Hanas that day (I was looking for FHI Runway alternatives) and decided to get it since it was so cheap.

knt1229

I flat iron my hair with a cheapy ceramic flat iron I bought at Walmart several years ago. I get great results. It's not the amount you pay for the flat iron that makes the difference. It's all about technique.

Newtogrow

I have the chi wet/dry with digital temperature gauge and the Maxiglide XP. When I use my Chi, I have to do the chase method with the comb but the Maxiglide already has the teeth.

Maxiglide hands down!

Lynnerie

I have a generic Chi, a maxiglide, and now the Hana Elite. My Hana gives me the best results but technique is key. Make sure the hair is completely detangled, blow dryed and use small sections along with the comb-chase method.

labellenoire

For me, the GHD works best. It doesn't have an adjustable temp gauge but it straightens in one quick pass using the comb chase method so I have never had heat damage from it.

Your Cheeziness

A quality iron with ceramic technology at minumum would be best. But the most important thing is moisture and technique for straightening tightly textured hair.

Detroit2Dallas

that girl in the op video, her hair was so stiff i HATE stiff hair lol. Anywho, I use a CHI but I also got a flat iron on clearance for 8 dollars at Trade Scerets that is just as good so you really dont have to spend lots of dough. OP, whatever you do, please dont use those products she used on her hair, her hair was so stiff!

NappiShawti

i am 4b & i own both the maxiglide mp & the chi. i thought the chi was great until i tried the maxi. its great becuz i dont like the extra time it takes to do the comb-chase method w/ the chi.

the teeth on the maxi help detangle ur hair as u go but if u have reallytightly coiled hair u may want to turn up the heat. i can straighten my hair bone str8 in 1-2 passes on level 6/7.

Lynnerie

If you decide to use the maxiglide its best to detangle beforehand or those little teeth will rip your hair out. You also can't squeeze the plates all the way down when using the teeth.

lana

If anyone has the old maxiglide for sale with the "blue" steam button, please PM me. I will buy it. The new maxiglide doesn't work for me, but the old one did.

Lynnerie

^^ I miss the old one too. Mine broke- The springs in the handle don't work anymore I have the new maxiglide now and it automatically shuts off right when I'm using it.

I'm sure lots of ladies here have a working old one and may have upgraded to something new. Did you post in the Hair Product Exchange Forum?

Soratachi

I'm a firm believer in technique and the rigth product does the trick.
I use an electric pressing comb and do one pass only on my entire head first then I use my ceramic plates flat iron(price 40 Euro around $60).