NATURALS!What is the best flat iron for 4C/4B natural hair? HELP!

wednesday

I'm planning to straighten my hair for the first time in 5 years this December:yep:. I used to press my hair with a hot comb and electric stove but once i stopped using heat on my hair i gave my stove away and i'm too scared to use a hot comb again (heat damage:nono:). I never thought i could flat iron my hair, i think i tried it once years ago and it just didn't work , but my hair was very different back then. Now that my hair is in good condition and i've been on LHCF i've seen women with a similar texture flat iron their hair with beautiful results. My dilema is i have no idea what kind of iron to buy, i really don't want to spend over $100 but i could stretch to $120(maybe). I wanted to ask all the naturals out there , specifically 4c/4b (i'm mostly 4c) what is the best flat iron out there. I've been leaning towards getting the Maxiglide(is there really a difference between MP and XP??) but after seeing this technique & video :
YouTube - How to Straighten Natural Hair :spinning:

I'm thinking the CHI iron looks amazing. Help! I'm CLUELESS.

lilsparkle825

A hot comb really would be the best option, IMO. Pinkskates, TheMoptopMaven and BlackMasterPiece all get great results from using them, and I use them on my sister's 4b hair. If you are fully committed to using a flat iron, hopefully some others can help you with that. For what it's worth, I wouldn't recommend the CHI as much as the Sedu or Maxiglide.

SimJam

I wud also love to know.

Im planningn to get either the hana professional or the babyliss pro nano titanium from misikko in the black friday/cyber monday sales.

I wud love to see some results from 4b ladies

wednesday

A hot comb really would be the best option, IMO. Pinkskates, TheMoptopMaven and BlackMasterPiece all get great results from using them, and I use them on my sister's 4b hair. If you are fully committed to using a flat iron, hopefully some others can help you with that. For what it's worth, I wouldn't recommend the CHI as much as the Sedu or Maxiglide.

Thanks, yeah hot combs always got my hair straight but i got a little heat damage. I'm thinking i would do less damage (i not burn myself as much!) with i flat iron :grin:lol Maybe I'll look into getting an electric hot comb! Could you recommend any? I'll probably look for one with different heat settings hmmmmmmm not you got me thinking!

classychic1908

I'm an electric straightening comb fan, I just need to find a quality ceramic model. I think next time I straighten, I'll roller set first. Use the straightening comb to smooth, and do a once over with a ceramic flat iron to seal the press... then silk wrap.

Gosh that sounds like a lot of work...:ohwell:

localhost

I need to know what everyone is using too. I have nothing to offer, but I have the CHI nano technology iron, and my efforts don't come out as smooth as I like them to. There's no variable temp. My relaxed hair was banging, but my 4b natural hair is like un uhn, get that outta here!

Tiye

It depends on how much you plan to use your new flat iron. If you aren't going to use it for another few years then there's no need to buy the top of the line. I like tourmaline infused ceramic not sure why - maybe it's coz I like gemstones and the only other thing I ask is that it goes to 450 degrees. There are plenty of options that meet this criteria that go for 50 bucks or less at walmart, target, ulta, etc. If you plan on giving the iron a workout then that's when you might want to invest in a pricier model.

My pressing comb is electric. I got it at sally's. It has variable temp control and goes to 500 degrees but I've never used it at max setting. I usually set it in the 450 area and that's fine for my hair. If you need a lower temp then you do have that option - just turn the dial down. Start with a very low setting and turn it up only if you need to, and you won't have heat damage.

Mook's hair

I have 3 flat irons.
1. CHI ceramic - The version I have does not have an adjustable temperature gauge.
I hate it...It's too hot. I never use it on my hair but it works well on my cousin's hair
she is mixed and her hair can take more heat than mine.

2. Conair ceramic - I got this for $12.99 from walmart it is lightweight and thin and has
a temperature adjustment. This item was perfect when I was relaxed and still does a
good job now that I'm natural. Especially for the price.

3. Maxiglide - I don't know the difference between MP and XP and don't really know which version I have.. I inherited this from a friend. I really love my maxiglide. I use it with the plate that has teeth. I set it on 4.

The cons.....It is pricey.. and it is large and heavier than most other flat irons..

But I like it that the plates slide off and are easy to clean. I like the steam burst feature too. And I really like the plate with the teeth. But when you use that one you have to part very small divisions of hair.

I am a natural Type 4 b/a

Janet'

Here are pics of when I flat-ironed my cousins 4b hair with a Hana Professional...

Attachments

• Shanasia's Straight Pics 004.jpg
    Shanasia's Straight Pics 004.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 134
  • Shanasia's Straight Pics 008.jpg
    Shanasia's Straight Pics 008.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 114
  • Shanasia's Straight Pics 013.jpg
    Shanasia's Straight Pics 013.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 133
  • Shanasia's Straight Pics 018.jpg
    Shanasia's Straight Pics 018.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 132
  • Shanasia's Straight Pics 019.jpg
    Shanasia's Straight Pics 019.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 102

Ms Lala

I don't think you need a $100 iron to get your hair straight. I got my hair straight w/the Babyliss Ceramic iron that I bought for $40. I don't really straighten any more this was a few years ago. Now I use the Maxiglide , but I like the semi straight puffy look so I use it on a pretty low setting. The teeth will get your hair really straight but if used too frequently can lead to splits-I know from experience.

SimJam

^^^^ooooooh riiight I remember these pics ^^^^

her texture looks very similar to mine

I hear titanium is the way to go these days, thats why I was thinking of going with the babyliss ... ahhhhhhhhhrggg

SimJam

I don't think you need a $100 iron to get your hair straight. I got my hair straight w/the Babyliss Ceramic iron that I bought for $40. I don't really straighten any more this was a few years ago. Now I use the Maxiglide , but I like the semi straight puffy look so I use it on a pretty low setting. The teeth will get your hair really straight but if used too frequently can lead to splits-I know from experience.

do u remember where u got it?

TIA

Janet'

I wanted to add...my cousin has NO 4a- she is straight 4b...and the Hana Professional was $118 from misikko.com

wednesday

Here are pics of when I flat-ironed my cousins 4b hair with a Hana Professional...

Wow, i'll be honest i have NEVER got my natural hair THAT straight!lol. I never even thought it was possible! Did you blowdry her hair before you used the flat iron? I'm super impressed!

wednesday

I really don't want to spend a lot of money at all, i think i've just heard about CHI, Sedu, Maxiglide and they're all up there in price. I was just browsing Amazon and people had good things to say about the Andis pressing comb, it's just 19.99. :yep: But i really like the idea of a maxiglide, with the steam and everything. I'm gonna see if i can find one on ebay or something. Thanks!

wednesday

I have 3 flat irons.
1. CHI ceramic - The version I have does not have an adjustable temperature gauge.
I hate it...It's too hot. I never use it on my hair but it works well on my cousin's hair
she is mixed and her hair can take more heat than mine.

2. Conair ceramic - I got this for $12.99 from walmart it is lightweight and thin and has
a temperature adjustment. This item was perfect when I was relaxed and still does a
good job now that I'm natural. Especially for the price.

3. Maxiglide - I don't know the difference between MP and XP and don't really know which version I have.. I inherited this from a friend. I really love my maxiglide. I use it with the plate that has teeth. I set it on 4.

The cons.....It is pricey.. and it is large and heavier than most other flat irons..

But I like it that the plates slide off and are easy to clean. I like the steam burst feature too. And I really like the plate with the teeth. But when you use that one you have to part very small divisions of hair.

I am a natural Type 4 b/a

Very helpful! thank you!:yawn:

wednesday

It depends on how much you plan to use your new flat iron. If you aren't going to use it for another few years then there's no need to buy the top of the line. I like tourmaline infused ceramic not sure why - maybe it's coz I like gemstones and the only other thing I ask is that it goes to 450 degrees. There are plenty of options that meet this criteria that go for 50 bucks or less at walmart, target, ulta, etc. If you plan on giving the iron a workout then that's when you might want to invest in a pricier model.

My pressing comb is electric. I got it at sally's. It has variable temp control and goes to 500 degrees but I've never used it at max setting. I usually set it in the 450 area and that's fine for my hair. If you need a lower temp then you do have that option - just turn the dial down. Start with a very low setting and turn it up only if you need to, and you won't have heat damage.

You are SO right, i don't know why i was stressing about it. I'm only planning to straighten my hair once or twice a year. I think it's becasue i've had so many hair disasters and setback i'm trying to avoind them at all costs! But i cam across an electric pressing comb on Amazon the has good reviews and has temp control. Do you use both a flat iron and a pressing comb? What do you find beneficial about flat ironing?

lilsparkle825

I have an older electric pressing comb, but I bought a stove model for kicks and giggles from Sally. I ended up taking it back because my electric one is better. I don't know the brand....the name got rubbed off years ago.

Have you tried using a paper towel to make sure it is not too hot? And did you use a heat protectant with your hot comb?

Side note, I want that Hana flat iron @Janet' posted. That is fabulous.

wednesday

I have an older electric pressing comb, but I bought a stove model for kicks and giggles from Sally. I ended up taking it back because my electric one is better. I don't know the brand....the name got rubbed off years ago.

Have you tried using a paper towel to make sure it is not too hot? And did you use a heat protectant with your hot comb?

Side note, I want that Hana flat iron @Janet' posted. That is fabulous.

man... back then i used to blow out my dry thirsty hair with some wrap lotion, grease my scalp with blue magic and then just go to work on my hair...no heat protectant! Now i use a heat protectant whenever i blowdry, which is every few months. I'm planing to do my blow out with Biosilk Thermal Shield then put a little CHI Silk infusion or Keracare Silken Seal on my hair before i press. I think i'm going to get a cheap electric pressing comb and then see if i can get a maxiglide. Hopefully there are some good black friday deals!

Last edited:

Janet'

Wow, i'll be honest i have NEVER got my natural hair THAT straight!lol. I never even thought it was possible! Did you blowdry her hair before you used the flat iron? I'm super impressed!

Yes! Hana Professional Results album | Janet' | Fotki.com, photo and video sharing made easy. <== Here is the link that takes you through the process of how I got the results. To answer your question though, I washed, blow dried in sections (using the tension method) and then I used the comb-chase method with the flat iron.

Thank you!!! I seem to do others better than I do my own!!!