Naturals who do braid outs...

hopeful

My hair always does better with twist-outs. When I used to wear braid-outs I would have to roll the ends with small magnetic rollers, that seemed to help give it a little more shape. Also, once I braided first, kept it that way a couple of days, then twisted it, then later wore a twist out. That came out pretty because the braids help stretch it out so I could show even more length than with a normal twist out.

LynnieB

bmoreflyygirl said:
Darn... Looks like I'll be wigging it again. I don't feel like rewashing. :ohwell:

bmore, can't you try to salvage that braidout?

rinse it in shower or spritz with something watery then apply a little gel and let it do what it do?

glamazon386

LynnieB said:
bmore, can't you try to salvage that braidout?

rinse it in shower or spritz with something watery then apply a little gel and let it do what it do?

No. :( It looks a hot caca dry mess. :nono: My hair never really looks dry. I can't go out the house with my hair looking like this. I even tried to make a puff but it just looks icky. I don't want to rewet it this late in the day.

Last edited:

naturaline

LynnieB said:
bmore - for me it depends on the look i'm going for.

if i just want a more controlled looking (and virtually tangle free) wash n go, i go on and make a bunch of braids on wet/damp hair and let them set for about 15-20 minutes, take them out and gently rub about a quarter-sized amount of gel on the hair. the ends are damp enough to curl up on their on.

but when i want to wear just a straight braid out (which i'm not liking so much because my hair is so short and the set is stiff :perplexed), i'll let my hair dry completely and maybe even let them stay in for a day or 2, use my spritz on the braids (especially on the ends to get rid of the stiff braided-end look) then take them down.

my braidouts have a really firm set the longer they stay in. maybe you need to leave them in a little longer to set them good - like a couple days?
same here i leave then in for a few days and my braidouts LAST AGES! I usually coil my ends too- and i always plait it wet/ full of conditioner.

xx

naturaline

cmw45 said:
Have any of you guys that wear your braid outs for more than a day or two (I may rock my for up to five days...and then put a headband on a rock it for two more.) figured out how to keep the braidouts moisturized without frizzing. I usually scarf my hair overnight and fluff in the morning but I've noticed that by the forth day the hair is getting a little dry. I'm trying to baggy religiously(thanks to babygurl and Darkempress--who swear by it), however, I think baggying the braidout would result in a frizzy braid out. :ohwell:

This has been my staple style up until this point but I may have to abandon it unless I can figure out a way to moisturized without the frizz. I mean I would still rock it occassionally (the BF would not hear of completely abandoning it) but I think that the dryness that happens towards the end of the week is counter productive to my efforts to keep my hair moisturized. :grin:
i wear mine for like a week. i get lazzzyyy hehe. the key is to leave it braided for a few days and then not add tooo much product.

xx

tastesosweet

I wonder if your hair texture makes a difference in whether or not you can wear a braid out. When I've tried a braid out, my hair just falls flat, but a friend of mine can braid out all day, but her hair won't twist out properly--but mine does. :perplexed

caligirl

Cheleigh said:
Braids outs aren't cute on my hair. Braids seems to stretch my curl pattern unattractively, unlike twist outs which model my existing curl pattern. Twist outs look wonderful, but braidouts... :barf:

My hair does just the opposite. To get my braidouts really defined, I brush the section really smooth with my denman, I think that's key. Then when my hair dries it looks like it was pressed and crimped with an iron.

Cheleigh

caligirl said:
My hair does just the opposite. To get my braidouts really defined, I brush the section really smooth with my denman, I think that's key. Then when my hair dries it looks like it was pressed and crimped with an iron.

Hmmm, maybe I should try braids after I detangle. Good tip, I'll try that in 5 days after I detangle again.

glamazon386

caligirl said:

I was wondering about that too. I'll try that next time.

turnergirl

I leave my braids in until they are dry sometimes but mostly when they a slightly damp. If you want a braidout but without tons upon tons of shrinkage what about trying it on stretched hair. Put something like cream on your dry hair and see if that will give it a nice set. I don't know if you are familiar with Ms-gg. She has hair a little shorter than yours maybe? But she has some feirce braidouts.

turnergirl

cmw45 said:
Have any of you guys that wear your braid outs for more than a day or two (I may rock my for up to five days...and then put a headband on a rock it for two more.) figured out how to keep the braidouts moisturized without frizzing. I usually scarf my hair overnight and fluff in the morning but I've noticed that by the forth day the hair is getting a little dry. I'm trying to baggy religiously(thanks to babygurl and Darkempress--who swear by it), however, I think baggying the braidout would result in a frizzy braid out. :ohwell:

This has been my staple style up until this point but I may have to abandon it unless I can figure out a way to moisturized without the frizz. I mean I would still rock it occassionally (the BF would not hear of completely abandoning it) but I think that the dryness that happens towards the end of the week is counter productive to my efforts to keep my hair moisturized. :grin:

I am sure to moisturize well enough to not have to add any additional product before I put the braids in. When I do that, I am good for a week and half. I like to deep condition and then do the leave in and seal process before I braid. That keeps me good until it is time to rebraid.