NATURALS who get WEAVES or BRAIDS

htown2DAboot

So I'm thinking about (just doing some investigative journalism) about getting my hair weaved/braided up...I'm newly natural (it'll be a month next Saturday!) and my hair is 3c/4a/4b...The last time I got my hair braided, I was sorta transitioning...The lady who was braiding my hair NEARLY RIPPED OUT my hair trying to comb it straight (I guess it was too kinky/curly?) My hair is even curlier now that I've bc'd...I don't want anyone messing up those curls trying to comb my hair...so should I just blow out my own hair first? What are your ideas for sorta getting my hair str8 so it will be easier on them and me to get the job done?

MochaEyeCandy

Blowdrying your hair should be enough to get it straight. Just make sure you use something to protect it from heat.

ETA: CONGRATS ON YOUR BIG CHOP!!! :dance7:

spritex

I co-wash, deep condition, use a creamy leave-in, moisturise my strands with a shea butter mix and blow out. I let the stylist do it but I stand my ground on the heat setting she uses. I allow it to get about 80% dry then stop. It usually finishes drying as we progress, anyways a little dampness has never done me any harm.
Blowing it out is my only option as my hair is 4a/b with some 3c and if not reasonably straight and detangled before the braids are put in will be horrific when it is time to take them down. It is also easier and for the braider if your strands are smooth. Easier for your hair too. Ultimately I do not think occasional safe use of heat is a bad thing. HTH

Jhunt-smith

im not natural, but when my hair is wet & air dried it becomes natural-like. anytime i get braids, i will blow dry or air dry & comb so that it is managable. it helps the grip with the braids also. make sure u tell the stylist to not pull so tight or to be gentle, because its ur hair & ur money

glamazon386

I usually wash and detangle mine the night before. Then I plait it and let it airdry. They've never had a problem getting through it. Last time I got a weave he washed my hair and then lightly blew it out. Not enough for it to be straight but enough to get it dry and stretched a little bit. That was the first time I've ever had it blow dried before a weave though.

Last edited:

sydwrites

I would say go ahead and blowdry it first, some of these places want to punish you for having natural hair and they seem to dont know that combs other than ones with fine teeth exist. Braids are a great style, but save yourself some frustration and not make it really obvious that you are natural. Its kind of sad thats the case, especially since braids are a natural style but ive seen it time and time again.

RedVelvet310

Blow drying for me still makes my hair "rippable", I always press or flat iron my hair and make sure its silkly straight before I let anyone apart from me, my mother, my bestfriend or my cousin touch it. :grin:

KinksnCurlz

Airdry your hair a little, then blow dry it on low. Section your hair, plait and band the bottoms. That way, when it's time for her to braid it, your hair will be fully detangled (and dry).

Don't forget to moisturize your hair and use a heat protectant before blow drying.

PerplexingComplex

Since I do my own braids I really don't have to deal with someone being rough with my hair, but I usually wash/deep condition/moisturizing leave in then braid it up and let it air dry. That's usually enough for me to be able to braid it without having tangles.

Lucky's Mom

I usually do protein or Cassia treatment, a light blow dry and - I use sunflower oil to give it some slip after I blew it dry.
No tangles.