Naturals - Who uses protein?

Neith

Ever since I went natural, I have been trying to decide whether to do protein treatments or not. And if I do, what type of protein?

• I probably won't ever use heat (Truly in love with my hair texture, it's funny and unexpected!)
  • I only detangle once a week
  • Going to be DCing 2x a week
  • Going to be really giving my hair lots of moisture on a daily basis.
Do I even need protein?

Curious to see what other naturals do/think!

tatiana

I do all of the time at least once a week. I am natural with fine and thin hair.

To me the rule is the finer and thinner your hair, the more protein you need. The thicker and coarser your hair, the less protein you need.

anon123

I don't use hard protein like the Aphogee, but I use milder forms. Eggs or mayo, and my Aveda DR treatment has protein in it. I love that stuff. I hadn't used it for a while and I used it again recently and really noticed a difference in the strength of my hair.

Neith

I don't use hard protein like the Aphogee, but I use milder forms. Eggs or mayo, and my Aveda DR treatment has protein in it. I love that stuff. I hadn't used it for a while and I used it again recently and really noticed a difference in the strength of my hair.

How do you use the eggs?

If I've never told you before, I love your hair :)

fyb87

It will depend on your hair and/or scalp. I have fine/medium hair (not coarse or thick at all just a ton of it) which means I should need protein. However, it makes my hair dry and brittle and makes my scalp itch like crazy. Oh, and that wasn't from a, "Protein Treatment" that was from purchasing new products that had Protein in it that I heard tons of people talking about so I wanted to try. I have NEVER done Protein Treatments!

Honestly, if your hair is healthy right now....no breakage, not dry, not overly moisturized and you aren't currently using Protein then why would you start?

Ronnieaj

I use moderate and hard proteins all the time. My hair is thick and coarse, and breaks at the very ends if I don't, so I do. I do a protein treatment at least once a week, an Aphogee treatment every six weeks, and an Emergencee treatment on the second and fourth week after. I use mild proteins on the other 3 weeks. My hair genuinely thrives on it and it has helped me retain my length. I always follow with a heavy moisturizing DC, but I absolutely must use protein if I don't want my hair to turn to mush.

Pooks

When I first started my HHJ I was using AO GBP exclusively for cowashing my braided hair after worlouts and it did me no harm at all because I was moisturising regularly also. Soon after I found out about the rest of the AO line and went moisture mad - resulting in overmoisturised breaking hair once or twice. I now use mild protein in the form of AO GBP when needed, but I think I'll use eggs or mayo in the future, only when needed.

Leeda.the.Paladin

I do a homemade protein treatment every 5-6 weeks. Sometimes I use a commercial product, but not very often. My hair loves protein, but it doesn't need it super often.

temfash

I do all of the time at least once a week. I am natural with fine and thin hair.

To me the rule is the finer and thinner your hair, the more protein you need. The thicker and coarser your hair, the less protein you need.

I agree my hair is fine and I have in-corperated protein into my regimen my hair feels stronger, retains moisture. I dont have a set schedule but I try to balance moisture and protein.

anon123

How do you use the eggs?

If I've never told you before, I love your hair :)

Thank you! I beat an egg or two and mix it with conditioner and oil (coconut or olive). I then slather it on in sections and actually detangle this way. It is the best detangler, most slip I mean, I've ever encountered. I don't do it so much any more because it's hard for me not to get the scrambling even though I rinse with room temperature water. So I may use Mayo instead of eggs.

BrownEyez22

I think you have to listen to your hair. I did well without many protein treatments for a longgg time (6-10 months). Then I noticed long strands coming out when I was styling and my hair was kinda weak feeling (not the good soft).

I did the 2min Aphogee Treatment every week for 2-3 weeks and my hair has been much better ever since.

mkd

I am the same way. I use a mild protein once a week because my hair is super fine and thin. I need protein in my regimen. But if your hair is thriving without it, maybe you don't need it.

Lucky's Mom

I use 2 eggs and olive oil once every 4 weeks as a pre-poo. I used to use Yogurt - but that was too strong.

Love it!

ladytee2

I use an egg and oil(olive and wheat germ, amla, whatever I grab out of the stash) about every 5 or 6 weeks or whenever I think about it. No heat just slather it on and a plastic cap. I also use yogurt once or twice a month.

MJ

I use henna once every four weeks and GBP once in between. Last weekend, I used Aphogee for the first time. My new 12-week protein schedule will look something like this:

Week 2: GPB
Week 4: Henna
Week 6: GPB
Week 8: Henna
Week 10: GPB
Week 12: Aphogee

I cowash daily and deep condition once each week, so I believe it's important to keep proper protein-moisture balance. I will change this regimen if I experience any adverse effect.

Cheleigh

I use protein almost every time I DT-normally some egg yolk. If I use too much of the egg, I can get drier, more brittle hair, so it's balance. I used to use Aubrey Organics GPB when I had it, but I ran out.

My hair is fine with certain proteins like silk, soybean. It doesn't do quite as well with harder proteins.

Oasis

grabbing life by the pussy
I never use protein but my hair is constantly dry and brittle no matter how much moisture I use so I'm thinking lack of protein may be the problem.

Neith

Honestly, if your hair is healthy right now....no breakage, not dry, not overly moisturized and you aren't currently using Protein then why would you start?

I have used protein in the past, but I recently BC'd.

I have a pretty bad experience with thinking I don't need protein. When I went zero protein in that past, my hair broke off slowly and just lost a lot of health. but, my hair wasn't natural.

I think I will try milder forms of protein and keep my aphogee around just in case it seems that I need it. Seeing how many naturals actually use protein made me a little less paranoid about it :yep:

Thank you! I beat an egg or two and mix it with conditioner and oil (coconut or olive). I then slather it on in sections and actually detangle this way. It is the best detangler, most slip I mean, I've ever encountered. I don't do it so much any more because it's hard for me not to get the scrambling even though I rinse with room temperature water. So I may use Mayo instead of eggs.

Scrambling? That would be horrible to get out! I'll make sure if I ever try it, I'll turn the water down :)

darlingdiva

I think you have to listen to your hair. I did well without many protein treatments for a longgg time (6-10 months). Then I noticed long strands coming out when I was styling and my hair was kinda weak feeling (not the good soft).

I did the 2min Aphogee Treatment every week for 2-3 weeks and my hair has been much better ever since.

This is KEY!!! Your hair will tell you exactly what it needs. I use AO GPB when I wash my hair (or Aphogee 2-min when I plan on flat-ironing or getting braids). That works for me.

However, as is my BAD tendency when I'm in braids, I overmoisturized. Yesterday, I picked up some Joico K-Pak Reconstruct (the one that you have to leave on for 5-minutes). I hope it gets me balanced again.

bludaydreamr

It will depend on your hair and/or scalp. I have fine/medium hair (not coarse or thick at all just a ton of it) which means I should need protein. However, it makes my hair dry and brittle and makes my scalp itch like crazy. Oh, and that wasn't from a, "Protein Treatment" that was from purchasing new products that had Protein in it that I heard tons of people talking about so I wanted to try. I have NEVER done Protein Treatments!

ITA. I have fine/medium hair and a lot of it! During my transition my hair did not tolerate protein especially hard proteins. About two or three months after I BC'd, I was going to Jamaica and knew I was going to be at the pool or beach everyday, so decided to revisit the Aphogee 2 minute. I have used it periodically(whenever my hair seems to need a little strength) for the past year. The last one was six weeks ago and I going to do one this weekend.

Last edited:

darlingdiva

I never use protein but my hair is constantly dry and brittle no matter how much moisture I use so I'm thinking lack of protein may be the problem.

It definitely sounds like lack of protein is your problem. That's exactly how my hair was when I was avoiding protein like the plague. My hair was dry & brittle, even though I drowned it in moisture. My hair didn't improve until I started using protein at each wash.

MonPetite

I've been using Megatek as a protein treatment (I let it sit for fifteen minutes on freshly washed hair in the shower then rinse out). Or I add a tablespoon of Neutral Protein filler to my DCs.

mstar

Luxury bacon
I'm a huge fan of protein. It helps me retain moisture better. Since my hair is dry and super-thin, I'm trying to thicken it up and strengthen it at the same time. I use protein leave-ins almost daily, silk protein co-wash conditioners, K-Pak, and balanced moisture/light protein DCs. I'm definitely going to try the egg pre-poo soon.

I firmly believe that using a daily protein leave-in kept hair on my head during my transition. I didn't have any haircare regimen to speak of during that time (I barely even washed my hair), but I sprayed the leave-in every day, and at the end of the year, I had a full head of natural hair.

Libra08

I have almost the same regime you do, and I use protein. But I ONLY do egg treatments for protein. 2 eggs, olive oil, and sometimes a splash of Amla oil. I do these about 1-2x a month. Try using eggs before buying a commercial protein treatment. I've never seen results with commercial protein treatments such as emergencee, aphogee, or joico, but I get results right away with egg treatments. Always thicker, stronger hair!

tocktick

Yes, I believe so. Moisture doesn't replace the benefits protein will give to you hair.

I deep condition with Dark & Lovely Ultra Cholesterol (protein DC) every 2 weeks or so. I use it more frequently when I feel my hair needs it. I use castor oil to seal and a really creamy conditioner in between and my hair is soft.

I use henna about every 3-6 months. The results are great and last for a long time. I doubt I will ever do a hardcore Aphogee treatment (or any other unnatural/chemical treatment).

Last edited:

Jazzmommy

I use moderate and hard proteins all the time. My hair is thick and coarse, and breaks at the very ends if I don't, so I do. I do a protein treatment at least once a week, an Aphogee treatment every six weeks, and an Emergencee treatment on the second and fourth week after. I use mild proteins on the other 3 weeks. My hair genuinely thrives on it and it has helped me retain my length. I always follow with a heavy moisturizing DC, but I absolutely must use protein if I don't want my hair to turn to mush.

Same here... I just discovered that protein is truly my friend:yep:. I am recovering now from too much moisture because I used Wen for my shampoo and slacked off on my protein regimine. I was also sealing my ends daily and spraying my hair with moisturizer every other day, so I had a mushy mess and as I combed my hair it would glide through the comb and then break.

Neith

Yes, I believe so. Moisture doesn't replace the benefits protein will give to you hair.

I deep condition with Dark & Lovely Ultra Cholesterol (protein DC) every 2 weeks or so. I use it more frequently when I feel my hair needs it. I use castor oil to seal and a really creamy conditioner in between and my hair is soft.

I use henna about every 3-6 months. The results are great and last for a long time. I doubt I will ever do a hardcore Aphogee treatment (or any other unnatural/chemical treatment).

I like henna too, but I decided to stop. I was doing my hair the other day and found an orange hair. That was my first gray. When the others start popping up, I do not want orange highlights. :lol:

I'm going to try either the egg or giovanni nutrafix for my next DC :)

msa

I don't use any protein treatments because I do everything I can to minimize protein loss from my hair in the first place (that's why I use so much coconut oil in my regimen). I don't use heat, I don't use chemicals, and I try to be gentle in my washing, combing and styling so that my cuticles can stay in tact. I don't really need any external protein.

Now, some of the things I use on my hair do have protein in them. Aloe vera juice has protein (collagen) and Oyin Honey Hemp has protein as well (hydrolyzed silk). My hair doesn't seem to need any more than that.

I do want to add henna to my regimen in some way though because even though it's not a protein, I would like to have the strengthening and conditioning benefits from it.

Neith

I don't use any protein treatments because I do everything I can to minimize protein loss from my hair in the first place (that's why I use so much coconut oil in my regimen). I don't use heat, I don't use chemicals, and I try to be gentle in my washing, combing and styling so that my cuticles can stay in tact. I don't really need any external protein.

Now, some of the things I use on my hair do have protein in them. Aloe vera juice has protein (collagen) and Oyin Honey Hemp has protein as well (hydrolyzed silk). My hair doesn't seem to need any more than that.

I do want to add henna to my regimen in some way though because even though it's not a protein, I would like to have the strengthening and conditioning benefits from it.

EXACTLY what I'm doing!! :D (I love coconut oil too!)

That's why I was wondering if I even need the extra protein. Some of the conditioners I use have light proteins in them as well.

I will keep it minimal and light unless I have a problem. 1 mild protein treatment a month.