naturals who wear braids/senegalese twist

Mz*MiMi

hello all, I plan to install senegalese twists on myself soon and I have a few questions. I'm currently transitioning to natural and I'm 13 months in. I've noticed that when I begin to braid my hair, some of my natural hair sometimes sticks out of the braid making them look fuzzy. What I want to know is what can I do to keep the frizzies to a minimum? Should I use gel or blow dry my hair straight prior to doing my hair? Thanks in advance!

FRESHstart101

omg major bumps! i have really long extentions in (like 20') and my hair is like 3' lmfaooooo and its getting to the point where the frizz looks horrible ! it's only been 2 weeks

faithVA

I've never done braids myself but when I go to the salon sometimes she puts a little gel on it after it is completed. I think I also saw someone on youtube do the same thing. I'm not sure about Sengalese twists though. I usually get kinky twist so no one can tell my fuzzy hair from the fuzzy kinky twists hair.

Mz*MiMi

omg major bumps! i have really long extentions in (like 20') and my hair is like 3' lmfaooooo and its getting to the point where the frizz looks horrible ! it's only been 2 weeks

Lol I know exactly what you mean, that's what I'm trying to avoid but I have no idea how

lilsparkle825

I usually just twist very tightly to prevent the frizzies. If I see one frizzing up prematurely, I redo it.

OT: I'm in Hampton Roads too :)

Natirelle

The professional hair craiders i use to go to use to trim the fuzz of after the braid it, and i didnt have to worry about the braid its self getting fuzzy, only the roots. When the roots got fuzzy it was almost time for me to take them down.

Mz*MiMi

I usually just twist very tightly to prevent the frizzies. If I see one frizzing up prematurely, I redo it.

OT: I'm in Hampton Roads too :)

Oh really? I was looking for somebody around here to do them for me but my pocket couldn't let go of that 180 so ill try your idea, thank you! Also, do u twist your hair in its natural state or do you blow dry or anything?

Mz*MiMi

The professional hair craiders i use to go to use to trim the fuzz of after the braid it, and i didnt have to worry about the braid its self getting fuzzy, only the roots. When the roots got fuzzy it was almost time for me to take them down.

They trimmed your actual hair for the twists?

Mz*MiMi

I've never done braids myself but when I go to the salon sometimes she puts a little gel on it after it is completed. I think I also saw someone on youtube do the same thing. I'm not sure about Sengalese twists though. I usually get kinky twist so no one can tell my fuzzy hair from the fuzzy kinky twists hair.

Thank you for the tip, I will try the gel

Nonie

I do not use anything. I just make a point of holding my hair very close to the point at which I cross the strands over, smoothing the strands as I go along. This ensures I tuck the hairs into the braid. In other words, don't hold the hair at the ends and twist, but rather have your fingers very close to where you cross over.

(I never use products and my hair never mats or knots. I think products glue strands together, but don't quote me coz that's dirty talk on hair forums. :lol: )

Natirelle

Ok, I always thought the frizzys were my hair

Yeah thats what I thought also :)
Well I when I use to get my Kinky Twist done I let them trim the whole twist because I was transition at the time and i couldnt give a rats behind about my relaxed ends.
Now since I do my own KinkyTwist i dont trim the whole twist, idky im just lazy now !

Mz*MiMi

I do not use anything. I just make a point of holding my hair very close to the point at which I cross the strands over, smoothing the strands as I go along. This ensures I tuck the hairs into the braid. In other words, don't hold the hair at the ends and twist, but rather have your fingers very close to where you cross over.

(I never use products and my hair never mats or knots. I think products glue strands together, but don't quote me coz that's dirty talk on hair forums. :lol: )

Ok that makes a lot of sense because I usually braid somewhere in the middle, thank you!