Nay's Pressing Technique

caligirl

Hello everyone!

My hair is natural and I would love to be able to press it myself. I have been dependent on a stylist to wash and press my hair for over 15 years! I see that Nay presses her own hair and it looks beautiful.
Nay, can can please describe step by step how you press your hair? How do you section your hair when you braid it and how do you get the roots to dry straight? Also, what type of pressing comb do you use?
By the way, the K cutter is the bomb! Everyone should use this comb!

Nay

Thanks for the compliment, but I can't really say I have a "technique." Shoot, half the time, I am convinced that I'm not doing that great of a job.

I just wash/condition with my CON. Then I detangle and braid my hair (adding a dab of Liv or ORS olive oil) to each section. I make about 14 braids, kind of the same way I do when I wear a braidout or twistout. THen I just let my hair dry overnight.

The next day I get out my little stove and my ancient pressing comb (can't remember what kind it is because I've had it FOREVER.) And I just work through my hair one section at a time.

Actually I press my hair in kind of big sections, and I have to make about three passes before it gets straight. And even then, it is not SUPER straight. I don't think anyone would ever confuse my pressed hair for nice shiny relaxed hair. It just doesn't come out that silky.

It's hard to give pressing directions. It's one of those things that you just get the hang of after you've been doing it for a while.

I thought that this website had pretty good instructions for pressing hair: http://www.itzhair.com/university/education/tempd.asp

Thanks again for the compliment. And, yes, the K-Cutter is the bomb :)

Nay

ichephren said:
Nay, how long does it take you to press your hair? TIA
It feels like FOREVER. I always take breaks, so it's hard to say. But for sure a good two or two and a half hours.