Need advice about breakage

Leslie_C

I dont know why but Im having flashbacks from a few years back when the middle of my head in the back broke off badly and I had to cut it off to barely anything and start over. back then my hair was in a short flip style.

Well this time the bottom layer of my hair is well past my shoulders, but once again, the middle section of the back of my head has broken off (some places are 3-4 inches). the crown is about ear length. of course Im depressed bc I worked so hard to grow my hair out and now Ive had a major setback. The reason it happened is I stretched my relaxer too long (5 months) and I guess my hair just couldnt handle it. It makes sense that it broke off at the demarcation line bc thats about how much growth I got in that amount of time.

Now the question is, do I just need to suck it up, face the facts and get my hair cut (Ill be losing 3 or 4 inches if I cut it to my neck in the back and then trim the broken areas, then it would be some kind of layered bob).??? Or is there any way I can save my hair? I will admit that although it has acquired quite a bit of length, it isnt nearly as thick as Id like it to be(thin ends).

What would u do in my position? my friend who is going to school for cosmetology says I should cut it bc healthy hair is better than long hair (if u have to choose) and it looks like I dont have a problem growing it so it will grow back pretty fast.

Do I just need to go ahead and cut it? The only thing I hate is I wont be able to put it in a ponytail. The plus side is I do know how to take care of it now so it will grow out thicker and healthier hopefully fairly quickly.

Please give suggestions....thx in advance!

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
I believe healthy-looking hair is better than long thin breaking hair. I would get it cut and maybe stretch your relaxer 3-4 months instead of 5. I hope that helps! ;)

Champagne_Wishes

A broke graduate
Leslie_C said:
I dont know why but Im having flashbacks from a few years back when the middle of my head in the back broke off badly and I had to cut it off to barely anything and start over. back then my hair was in a short flip style.

Well this time the bottom layer of my hair is well past my shoulders, but once again, the middle section of the back of my head has broken off (some places are 3-4 inches). the crown is about ear length. of course Im depressed bc I worked so hard to grow my hair out and now Ive had a major setback. The reason it happened is I stretched my relaxer too long (5 months) and I guess my hair just couldnt handle it. It makes sense that it broke off at the demarcation line bc thats about how much growth I got in that amount of time.

Now the question is, do I just need to suck it up, face the facts and get my hair cut (Ill be losing 3 or 4 inches if I cut it to my neck in the back and then trim the broken areas, then it would be some kind of layered bob).??? Or is there any way I can save my hair? I will admit that although it has acquired quite a bit of length, it isnt nearly as thick as Id like it to be(thin ends).

What would u do in my position? my friend who is going to school for cosmetology says I should cut it bc healthy hair is better than long hair (if u have to choose) and it looks like I dont have a problem growing it so it will grow back pretty fast.

Do I just need to go ahead and cut it? The only thing I hate is I wont be able to put it in a ponytail. The plus side is I do know how to take care of it now so it will grow out thicker and healthier hopefully fairly quickly.

Please give suggestions....thx in advance!

Personally I wouldn't cut right away. I would just gradually trim it. Besides it sounds like you don't have split ends or breakage.

Nice

Hey Leslie_C,

I have had your problem for about as long as I can remember. I understand your frustration. No matter what I did, the middle of my hair would also break. I have fine hair so any kind of breakage will show in my hair because it would then start to appear thin. If you have thick hair I would say trim off the thin ends in the middle. If you hair is thick enough it won't be noticeable.

It is so funny that you posted this because I just cut some inches off of my own hair today and you know what, I love it!!! My goal right now is just to have healthy hair!

I am doing a middle grow out challenge right now for myself. I didn't make that album public but if you want the password please PM me.

SUPER SWEET

Sorry to hear this. The same thing happen to me because i wanted to wait 12 weeks for a relaxer. My mid-section wasnt having it. I have to relax at week 8!It's ok because I learned to wash and condition once a week or more. The key is to moisturize that mid -section, my hairdresser calls it the weak spot and it is common for breakage.
Luckily you have an option to cut or trim, my hairdresser didnt ask but just cut.She didnt cut all the back length completely off but just shorter so i doesnt look like a mullet. My suggestion is to rollerset because the flow of curls can hide the breakage better and still gives a style. Biotin also helps with quick growth.

mrslee

Love yourself first!
I had this problem also. It was about 3 inches short in the middle. I just had professional gradual trims done. I may have about .5 more inches to go now. I am so happy!! Its not as noticable anymore.

Leslie_C

mysweetevie said:
Sorry to hear this. The same thing happen to me because i wanted to wait 12 weeks for a relaxer. My mid-section wasnt having it. I have to relax at week 8!It's ok because I learned to wash and condition once a week or more. The key is to moisturize that mid -section, my hairdresser calls it the weak spot and it is common for breakage.
Luckily you have an option to cut or trim, my hairdresser didnt ask but just cut.She didnt cut all the back length completely off but just shorter so i doesnt look like a mullet. My suggestion is to rollerset because the flow of curls can hide the breakage better and still gives a style. Biotin also helps with quick growth.

LOL @ looking like a mullet :) thx I needed that laugh! Maybe I will have this done then I can still pull my hair up/back.

thx for the input ladies, keep the opinions coming! I do like the fact that is not a MUST to just do a huge chop. I like the sound of gradual trims.