Need advice about preparation before braiding.

CharUK

"Honestly, Truly"
OK, here is the deal.

I'm in transition right now with about 2 inches of growth, the growth is quite dry, even when I try to moisturise it (which is quite difficult by the way, cos I find it hard to part)

Anyway, the last time I had kinky's in, I was in a lot of pain, the woman was just parting through like she didn't care, I could hear my hair ripping /images/graemlins/ooo.gif

What I want to know is this, if I blow dry it (I know this is *bad for hair*) just go with me, if I blow dry it, and get it properly moisturised, do you think this may be o.k for every 8/10 weeks? I just really need to prepare my growth for this because I can't take a repeat of last time.

x

KathyMay

CharUK try to use a mild protein treatment so your hair wont break off between braiding. I have been doing this for a couple months and I havent had that much breakage. Yes it is also good to deep condition, moisturize blow dry thoroughly.

CharUK

"Honestly, Truly"
Thanks a lot! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Bumping for more responses and advice.

simplycee

Sweetest Taboo
Char, have you tried the Better Braids spray or Pantene detangling spray to detangle and then add your moisture? Most of the ladies here recommend s curl for new growth.

CharUK

"Honestly, Truly"
Hi! Yes, I own both, it's just that I find it hard to moisturise the new growth, because I can hardly get to it, parting it is a nightmare, all my permed ends just get in the way, that's why i'm thinking of blowdrying.

x

zoya_j

what do you part you hair with? the tail end of a rattail comb is good for parting. Then you can use a wide tooth comb for combing

Sharpened

A fleck on His Sword
Ugh, get another braider!!

If you are brave, you could do your usual wash-condition (mixing honey with the conditioner helps, also a vinegar rinse if you want) routine and use a thick conditioner as a leave-in. Afterwards, braid it into 4, 6, 8 or more sections and wrap a large scarf around it and leave it that way until it is time for the braider to braid. If the braider wants to comb your hair together before braiding or complains about your parts, leave immediately.

This is the routine I use for my stylist friend for regular cornrows or braids.

CharUK

"Honestly, Truly"
Re: Ugh, get another braider!!

Thanks! I'm going to try that /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Zoya, I'll try using a tail comb, see how I go.

x

zoya_j

oh and another thing char, comb from the ends to the root you'll have less knots and tangles

cybra

Char, all I can say is "been there...." But, as you know I have been transitioning for over a year now and I am learning much more about the care of natural hair. One thing I would STRONGLY suggest is "night washes." The reason I say this is because, what I have found to work best for my hair is to braid it, in single braids, while it's really wet. I wash without moving the hair around too much. Try to get your fingers down to the scalp as much as possible, so you don't tangle the hair so much. Then, condition it with more than the usual amount of conditioner (try using something thick, like Cholesterole). WHILE THE CONDITIONER IS STILL IN, use a very BIG, wide tooth comb and gently, starting from the ends, untangle your hair. Once untangled, hold your hair back while under the shower and let your hair go in ONE directions while rinsing it, usually backward works for me. Oh, I forgot, take some EVOO into the shower with you. Once all the hair is rinsed, use about 1 -2 TBS of EVOO and rub it through your hair. This will coat your hair, and then, again, use your comb and comb the oil through. I will usually put my head back under the shower to do this. If you have a agitation adjustment on your shower, make the water run in a light mist or fall. Nothing harsh. Once you have the oil combed through, USE YOUR FINGERS to section off sections to braid. Now, I'm not going to lie, this may take a little while, usually about 20 to 30 mins, depending on how small you make the braids. You can see the size of mine in my album, under the "october scare" pics. Try to braid the hair as smoothly as possible, so when it dries it has less "curl" (you'll see what I mean when you see the pics with my mask on, they were taken after I took the braids out). Once you have the braids out, use a moisturizing oil and gently put some on each section and use your comb to comb it through. Now me, I usually rebraid the sections, but I have also combed them back so I can make a ponytail so I can put my phony pony on. But if that's what you want, to pull it back, put it in a pony FIRST before putting on products that will wet and saturate the hair until it recurls. By having it pulled back, you can wet it all you want and it will stay put. I then put on a hair gel and then tie a scarf on it to really smooth it out. Once it's good and dry, when you take you pony done, the scalp hair will be much, much straighter and easier to work with.

HTH /images/graemlins/wave.gif

CharUK

"Honestly, Truly"

That's a lot! sounds like a lot of work, but i'm ready!

I'll let you guys know how I get on, if my hair is misbehaving after this wash, i'll braid it this weekend, if it's o.k, i'll leave it for another week.

P.S check out my album! I have 'big chop prediction' pic added!

xx

M_BYRON_M

What the previous person said is so true Char you have to be so sturn with these so called stylist.

I think the big plait idea is the best becasue thts what i do and you just have to be prepared for the bad look from the likkle yardie or whoever is working there tht day

I hardly use a large tooth comb because when i do my hair its wet so its not tht bad .The ratail comb is good for parting but if your hair is so difficult to part then u might have to prepare for some pain when u bringing the comb back up..

Keep us informed

Byron*

CharUK

"Honestly, Truly"

I will do, I just wish there was a salon that helped people who are transitioning, because last night, I did all my usual stuff, I even combed through COMPLETELY and moisturised, and yet, my natural hair is still dry and brittle, I give up /images/graemlins/frown.gif

xx

zoya_j

don't worry about that char, during my natural days when i first did my bc my hair was very dry, i mean parched. just keep babying it and you'll soon have moisturized hair. don't give up

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
Wash and condition your hair a couple of days before and apply your leave-ins on your hair. Let it airdry. Once its dry, your hair is ready to be braided. HTH!