Need advice on applying a corrective relaxer

Miosy

I'm not stretching out my relaxer this time (9 weeks post).
I have about 6 inches texturized and the rest bone straight. The texturized hair is about 70% relaxed. The problem is that as the texturized hair get longer it knots up with my bone straight hair. I cut about an 1 inch in the last 3 weeks because of the knotting. I have 4a/b hair the kind that looks like a "wire". So, I am not having any luck. It's either cut the bone straight or keep the texturized hair and I think I rather go straighter because I'm tired of looking busted all the time
(no offense for naturals w/ my hair type
)

So, I am applying Elucence as my corrective relaxer and I need some advice on how to do this. Pleazzz..........

Thnxs

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
Hey Hair Buddy!
It is interesting that you posted this because I just did a corrective relaxer last week. It came out great. I love how much easier it is to style my hair.

The trick is to put the relaxer on the new growth first and when you are finished that step start applying the relaxer to the texturixed parts as you work the relaxer on. You have to literally comb the relaxer to the ends with a rattail comb to get it straight and smooth it in with your fingers to help the process along. You may lose a few extra hairs by doing this(not too much) but if you are going for the results I think you are, that won't matter. Don't leave it on longer than 15-20 minutes. You don't want to cause excessive damage.
Make sure after all is said and done to use a good reconstructor and follow up with a moist. con. You hair should be just fine just keep it really moisturized.

Also when doing this I had to use regular strength instead of my usual mild. It turned out great!

Miosy

Thanks DSD! Thanks for the advice. I am planning to do this on Sat. I'll will keep you posted.

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
Great! I can't wait to see/hear how it turns out! Also, make sure you don't have any distractions so you can concentrate fully on your hair.

cutebajangirl

I realized this morning that I lost at least 4 inches over this past year because of underprocessed hair. My hair used to be straight when wet and I NEVE had a problem with breakage and I was dyed too. After I wore braids for 6 months Nov02-April03) none of my relaxers would take but I had at least 5-6 inches of previosly straight relaxed hair. Now when wet I only have 1 inch of straight hair after the underprocessed parts. So it finally dawnwed on me that the rest broke off. So I really would be well past bra strap by now if not for that. So moral of the story is that texturized hair doesn't work for me and I need to correct this ASAP!!! Good luck Moisy.

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
Cutebajangirl, I tried texturizing and it didn't work for me either. I just like straight hair and that's that. For me it is easier to manage and easier to retain length with.

cutebajangirl

Once you have texturized and you previously had straight hair when you add in new growth you are now dealing with 3 textures. That is just to much for me to handle. I have no problem with my new growth when it grows in causing breakage or anything but with the texturized part I lose hair all the time.

aqualung

I texturized in December (PCJ lye applied for 11 minutes without combing). The resulting 3 textures mentioned by cutebajangirl were too complicated to handle. I went to the salon and let my stylist correct it. It wouldn't have been so problematic if my natural curl pattern were looser.

Miosy

[ QUOTE ]
megonw said:
I texturized in December (PCJ lye applied for 11 minutes without combing). The resulting 3 textures mentioned by cutebajangirl were too complicated to handle. I went to the salon and let my stylist correct it. It wouldn't have been so problematic if my natural curl pattern were looser.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm so glad I'm not the only one experiencing this. Yes, the 3 textures are extremely difficult to deal with and my curl pattern is way to tight too. My hair texturized is frizzy and very dry. Oh well, at least I tried

Thanks for the advice Ladies.

model_chick717

You're not the only one's ladies. I currently have texturized hair that EVERYONE seems to love and I like as well--but since my hair has been texturized--my hair seems to not grow past collarbone length. When I had fully relaxed hair, I probably heat-styled my hair a couple times a week and my hair still grew to almost bra-stap length. I'm thinking of going back to a full relaxer....

cutebajangirl

Texturized hair is soo hard to edeal with. You have the dryness of a relaxer with the tangles of natural hair. It is a very hard combo to deal with. My natural hair isn't dry so I don't have to worry about that and the relaxed part is straight so no tangles there. I can easily see how it would just break off model chick and therefore you can't get back to bra strap length.