Need Help New to Natural Hair

natural2008

Hello All,
I am new to LHCF. I had worn braides for years and in March of this year decided to wear my natural hair. So I went to the hair shop in March and got a really good trim and my type 4B hair is a little bit past my ears. I am having a hard time with trying to style my hair type. I tried to two strand twist my hair wet and when it dries I wear a twist out which tends to look shrunken and stiff. Would it be better if I blow dry my hair, do a light press and then two strand twist so that I can have a more relaxed twist out instead of a shruken twist? I would like to wear more styles but find it hard when I twist my hair wet.

Thank you all for your time in advance :yawn:

JustKiya

Welcome!

A lot of ladies twist their hair dry, for the very reasons you are finding there. The blowdrying, pressing, etc isn't needed - just braid your hair up into a couple of fat braids while it's wet, and let it dry. Then take those down, and make your two strand twists from those - they won't shrink up as much, and the twistout should be more 'free'.

Good luck, and enjoy your hair!

Nonie

I too twisted my hair dry and then would wash in twists and just drip-dry. When I tired of wearing twist, I'd undo and get a defined twist-out. I don't think it was very shrunken. BTW, I didn't have any product with that. When I tried to do a twist-out w/ products... I got this. :lachen:

Anancy

Im quite rubbish at giving advice, especially if i haven't experienced the same issue.

Im wondering if it has something to do with what products u are using, maybe some shea butter will help to moisterise your hair and make you hair hang more lose, rather than stiff.

I do my twists on dry hair and i use aloe vera gel.

I find that S-curl is great on my hair when i wear a braid-out, maybe it will help with your twst-outs.

msa

Hi!! :wave:

I have no advice to add since I can barely do any styles to my natural hair, I wear braids and weaves pretty much 24/7. Just wanted to welcome you.

Happy hair growing!!

KEWLKAT103

Welcome!

A lot of ladies twist their hair dry, for the very reasons you are finding there. The blowdrying, pressing, etc isn't needed - just braid your hair up into a couple of fat braids while it's wet, and let it dry. Then take those down, and make your two strand twists from those - they won't shrink up as much, and the twistout should be more 'free'.

Good luck, and enjoy your hair!

I agree with this. I thought that I did'nt like twist in my hair, but I did my second set of twists this past weekend on dry hair and they turned out great. You may like them better when they're not all shrunken down.

Ms Lala

HI,

I totally understand. I don't even bother trying to style my hair when it's wet. It ends up a shrunken frizzy mess. I dry my hair before twisting. I prefer how my twists look when I blowdry my hair first. I have also done twist on my airdried hair though and they turned out fine as well just a little more shrinkage than when airdried. If you blowdry just be sure to do it on low w/a heat protectant, I learned about heat damage the hard way.
For styling tips check out the fotki's on here. I get alot of ideas from looking at other ladies fotki's. I don't have many pics of my hair when it was ear length as you described yours but I used to rollerset my hair easily at that length for a fluffy fro. I liked wearing coil outs at that length as well. I actually did my coils outs using a little gel while my hair was damp. I would leave the coils in my hair for atleat a day and then carefully take them apart.

Last edited: