Need natural hair ideas to avoid "doing" hair everyday?

naturalmanenyc

Anyone not "do" your hair everyday? What styles do you wear (something other than braids)?

I thought about a straw set (hers lasted about 1 month - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XVKDJoObxU&feature=player_profilepage) but I cannot do a straw set on my own nor keep it for a month.

I also thought about flat twists or cornrows with a bun at the back ( like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9G6IIdm7xU&feature=player_profilepage) but think I would need weave hair added to avoid the scalpy look. Again, this is a style that I cannot do on my own.:perplexed

I wear two strand twists the majority of the time. I like the style on me, but it is a protective style that doesn't allow my hair to dry out, I can wash & condition my in the twist, and then detangle and re-twist. I do this once a week maybe every ten days just depends on how I feel, and how my hair looks. I like the look of flat twists, but I still have to practice a little more.

Two-strand twists is the only style I can wear for a long time if I want to avoid "doing" my natural hair everyday. I just wish I didn't get bored with them so quickly. And also when it comes time to wash my hair and re-do it, I don't feel like putting my hair back in twists! :lol:

And if you are not opposed to using heat on your hair, maybe wear it flat-ironed straight to avoid "doing" your hair everyday. This has worked for me too.

If your hair is long enough, wearing your hair in a bun may work for you. I tried doing a bun, but I just didn't feel like it flattered my face very well and I had to re-do it more than once a day because shorter lengths of my hair would stick out of the bun sometimes.

I don't like individual braids on me, but I like cornrows, I just get too bored to keep them in very long.

All other styles I do, I have to fool with my hair everyday.

Last edited:
I went to Jamaica last September and I wore my twist, then I had extenstions put in before I left.

Attachments

• twists in JA.jpg
    twists in JA.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 75
I have been bunning and all I do is add moisture to my hair and gel down the sides. And in 5 minutes my hair is done!!!!!!!!!

i just wear my hair in a daily puff..dnt have to touch it until at night when i moisturize it and plait it up

Blackmasterpiece does pixie braids which are just micros with your own hair.. i plan on coning one of my friends to do them for me since i can't braid.. she has her own site and the explains them for you.. blackmasterpiece.com i believe.. HTH

x0Xo MiiSS kECiia

Braids
Twists
Updos with braids and twists
Micros of each of the above
cornrows (of any size and design)
Flat twists up into a pony tail and then place a phony pony or an afro puff on it.

Are you into using a 3/4 wig a curly one and then flat twisting or cornrows for the front design of your head.

HTH

Anyone not "do" your hair everyday? What styles do you wear (something other than braids)?

I thought about a straw set (hers lasted about 1 month - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XVKDJoObxU&feature=player_profilepage) but I cannot do a straw set on my own nor keep it for a month.

I also thought about flat twists or cornrows with a bun at the back ( like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9G6IIdm7xU&feature=player_profilepage) but think I would need weave hair added to avoid the scalpy look. Again, this is a style that I cannot do on my own.:perplexed
slightly OT: I love the bun video in your siggy!! it's so gorgeous!! :grin:
on topic: i can keep a braidout or twistout in for a week by just slapping a bonnet over my head at night and maybe adding a bit of serum or moisturizer in the morning or pinning a side back.

Twists. I mostly wear them as is. Whenever I get to spruce them up I just pin a side back or cornrow them at night to have a crimpy/curly look.

i have to do my hair everyday unless i put in twists or braids with extensions. my two-strand twists look anorexic because my hair is fine. i can get 3-4 days out of a twistout, but that still requires me to retwist my hair every night.

maybe you could set your hair on perm rods or something along those lines, since you can't do your own straw set? i did this to my mother when she was transitioning and they would last a few weeks.

My wash and goes can last up to three days, and ponytails last three days too. But, I like to play in my hair, so I do it every other day.

One of the big reasons I love being natural is because I don't have to comb daily like I did when relaxed. I mostly wear twists and twist outs. EVen when I wear a ponytail I don't style daily. I tie down the front at night, rebrush and fluff in the morning. Another style I sometimes wear is flat twists in the front w/the back loose (I do this on dry hair), then I just pull the back into a bun or pony tail. This style last me about 7-10 days.

Last edited:
I wish I looked like an adult with twists in my hair.:ohwell: This thread is a great idea because I need some more natural education.

I'm afraid to use heat too often, although I have BKT.

I have never tried two strand twists althought I saw a woman on the train last night who had a fierce two strand twist out. It looked great but I know she must be retwisting each night. :ohwell:

I plan to try a curly bun later tonight now that I have some braiding hair & weave glue to cover my mesh donut bun.

Two-strand twists is the only style I can wear for a long time if I want to avoid "doing" my natural hair everyday. I just wish I didn't get bored with them so quickly. And also when it comes time to wash my hair and re-do it, I don't feel like putting my hair back in twists! :lol:

And if you are not opposed to using heat on your hair, maybe wear it flat-ironed straight to avoid "doing" your hair everyday. This has worked for me too.

If your hair is long enough, wearing your hair in a bun may work for you. I tried doing a bun, but I just didn't feel like it flattered my face very well and I had to re-do it more than once a day because shorter lengths of my hair would stick out of the bun sometimes.

I don't like individual braids on me, but I like cornrows, I just get too bored to keep them in very long.

All other styles I do, I have to fool with my hair everyday.

I went to Jamaica last September and I wore my twist, then I had extenstions put in before I left.

I am also thinking about pin up styles with combs on loose stretch hair. I have not seen any yet that I like but I plan to experiment.

Two strand twists, buns, flat twists, pinned up styles on loose stretched hair.

I have been bunning and all I do is add moisture to my hair and gel down the sides. And in 5 minutes my hair is done!!!!!!!!!

I still have a bit of relaxed ends left so I cannot wear my hair completely out without curling the ends (flat twist out, braid out with rods). And to top it off, my puff is anorexic right now:sad:

i just wear my hair in a daily puff..dnt have to touch it until at night when i moisturize it and plait it up

I never had micros. I'm gonna check this out.

Blackmasterpiece does pixie braids which are just micros with your own hair.. i plan on coning one of my friends to do them for me since i can't braid.. she has her own site and the explains them for you.. blackmasterpiece.com i believe.. HTH

x0Xo MiiSS kECiia

I found a cornrow style that I like (side bun), but it needs to be tweaked a bit & then I need to find someone to do it. I am guessing it would last at least 2 weeks:grin:

I do have a ton of wigs too. I invested in some curly ones so I don't have to keep flat ironing my hair to blend.

l_80f511df8a43a0cde485ea8966802a87.jpg

Braids
Twists
Updos with braids and twists
Micros of each of the above
cornrows (of any size and design)
Flat twists up into a pony tail and then place a phony pony or an afro puff on it.

Are you into using a 3/4 wig a curly one and then flat twisting or cornrows for the front design of your head.

HTH

Thanks!! I finally made it since I get so many questions about how I do that bun.

I have a twist out right now but I will have to retwist tonight.

slightly OT: I love the bun video in your siggy!! it's so gorgeous!! :grin:
on topic: i can keep a braidout or twistout in for a week by just slapping a bonnet over my head at night and maybe adding a bit of serum or moisturizer in the morning or pinning a side back.

Twists. I mostly wear them as is. Whenever I get to spruce them up I just pin a side back or cornrow them at night to have a crimpy/curly look.

I am still thinking about having a straw set done at a salon. A few places around here do them for $60 - $100. Allegedly they last for a few weeks.

i have to do my hair everyday unless i put in twists or braids with extensions. my two-strand twists look anorexic because my hair is fine. i can get 3-4 days out of a twistout, but that still requires me to retwist my hair every night.

maybe you could set your hair on perm rods or something along those lines, since you can't do your own straw set? i did this to my mother when she was transitioning and they would last a few weeks.

I have not tried a wash & go for more than one day since I could never get second day nice looking hair:ohwell: How do you get yours to last 3 days?

My wash and goes can last up to three days, and ponytails last three days too. But, I like to play in my hair, so I do it every other day.

One of the big reasons I love being natural is because I don't have to comb daily like I did when relaxed. I mostly wear twists and twist outs. EVen when I wear a ponytail I don't style daily. I tie down the front at night, rebrush and fluff in the morning. Another style I sometimes wear is flat twists in the front w/the back loose (I do this on dry hair), then I just pull the back into a bun or pony tail. This style last me about 7-10 days.

I wish I looked like an adult with twists in my hair.:ohwell: This thread is a great idea because I need some more natural education.

I found a cornrow style that I like (side bun), but it needs to be tweaked a bit & then I need to find someone to do it. I am guessing it would last at least 2 weeks:grin:

I do have a ton of wigs too. I invested in some curly ones so I don't have to keep flat ironing my hair to blend.

l_80f511df8a43a0cde485ea8966802a87.jpg
This is beautiful!!!!

Honestly, I just slapped a wig on. I have natural hair and I find that a curly wig or a straight hair lacefront wig does the trick. I only co-wash my hair every other day.

I have a decent wig collection, but I am trying to find styles for my own hair now that it's grown out (almost all of the relaxer is gone).

NTB, I LOOOOVE YOUR VIDEOS!!!!!!

My tried and true style is the flat twists in the front and single twists in the back. I retwist the front once a week. I wear them curly, in buns, under a net or half wig. Still versatile and protective at the same time.

Some pics are in my album.

I have nothing to add to the discussion but just wanted to say I love your bun video, OP.:grin:

I have to stretch my hair some kind of way. When I go to work I wear French Twists and buns and on the weekends I wear it out sometimes. Since my hair shrinks so much in a short amount of time, it is too difficult to do an updo without stretching.
Braidouts
Twistouts
Curlformers
Roller sets
Twist-n-curl

For the past month I've been wearing my hair in twists and I pull them into a ponytail or bun. Last week I cornrowed the front and put the back in twists and wear it in a pony tail or bun. I'm surprised I haven;t gotten sick of it yet

Lys

Back