Negative comment about natural hair(long)

FlowerHair

Reclaiming my time
The same negative stereotypes exist in Africa as in the rest of the Black world...if your hair is curly or wavy it's "ok" to wear your hair natural, if not - relax or braid to hide your coils as much as possible!!!

Unfortunately this prejudice doesn't seem to go away as quickly as one would hope.

Too many black women are ashamed of their hair texture... :(

firecracker

Chile I ain't surprised by that ignorance. I have chopped off all my hair many a time but when I chopped it off to go natural folk/family/friends were like :eek: . Heck sometimes I look and wonder what was I thinking my damn self. Then I remember I ain't even dealing with societies bs ideologies. Its all about comfort and not being a hair slave right now. :) Plus I like to shock folks with my big Angela Davis Afro somedays. :lachen: Pay that ignorance no mind.

Last edited:

Psi77

Hello BW1,
Being of Nigerian (father) and Ghanian (mother) descent this is not a typical attitude I have come across within our community. As children were brought up in Nigeria and did not know about relaxers until we were in the UK. Even then my mother still refused to relax our hair until were were old enough to make our own descison (about 16). I never really cared for a relaxer because I was sensitive to every one and when I found the LHCF I decided to go natural with my sister (thank you ladies at LHCF!). I have been supported in my journey for over 1 year and 6 months by my mother and our braiders one of whom is Ghanian and the other Ethiopian - they both stress the dangers of relaxers and refuse to performe such services for customers.
Unfortunately you have come across people who are only interested in hair style and not hair care. This anti-natural attitude is not something I have ever encountered. My sister and I have gone from ear length dried & fried to collar bone (when stretched) 4B hair with 90% shrinkage. The biggest compliments we get are from our African counterparts who are shocked at our progress. I am more than willing to pass on the invaluable information to those willing to listen about natural hair care. Mother dearest still asks for tips on hair care (never had a relaxer).

By the way BW1 did those women enquire about what routine ( apart from hair style) you would be using as a natural?

LovelyZ

rosalindb said:
This beautiful lady walked in to get her hair done and my hairdresser said out loud "Isn't she beautiful and she is African as well. You would not think that she was African would you?" And all the other hairdressers agreed with her. It was as if they all thought that an African lady could not beautiful

I could not say a word, I was just stunned
That is horrible. :(

bettytoo

Hi my mum and dad are both from nigeria.And yes lot's of people wear relaxer's but more people were natural then in england.I think it's unfair to say its african's are hating natural hair.Because america invented it.And export's it.No one would have relaxer's if it won't for america companies making money from it. Its like the kettle calling the pot black.
Some african's hate natural hair like some african american's. But more people have natural hair in africa than in america or europe.I think it's 80 chemical treated in america. Tell me which african counties has that amount.Some people don't have money to eat never mind get a relaxer.

Last edited: