Negative results with Wheat germ oil?

Kinkyhairlady

I purchased this oil last week because of all the raves I have heard about ceramides and I applied it to my hair last Saturday. For some reason my hair is shedding like crazy and it appears and feels stiff. Is this normal? At least I think it stopped breaking but now its shedding. Should I be using this a a prepoo instead of leaving it in all week? I am so tempted to shave my hair off at this point. Who has used this with success?

ladylibra_30

Is it pure wheat germ oil? What brand?

I also had stiffness when using this oil too. So I decided to use a tsp of WGO + conditioner to do a DC treatment. Much better results.

Kinkyhairlady

Is it pure wheat germ oil? What brand?

I also had stiffness when using this oil too. So I decided to use a tsp of WGO + conditioner to do a DC treatment. Much better results.

I don't remember the brand and I'm at work but I got it at Vitamin Shoppe. I mixed it with Kathy Howse moisturizer but I should try it in a conditioner instead I guess.

Kinkyhairlady

wheat germ oil is full of protein.

Oh Jesus! Thats what I get for just running out to buy everything i see on this board. My hair does not need protein at all! Yeah I am going to have to cut it and start over from square one. No wonder why its so hard. Why is there a Ceramides challenge? I thought this was suppose to help not make the situation worse.

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day
How much are you using? I think a little on your ends or a little mixed into another conditioner or other product is all you need.

Kirei

Oh Jesus! Thats what I get for just running out to buy everything i see on this board. My hair does not need protein at all! Yeah I am going to have to cut it and start over from square one. No wonder why its so hard. Why is there a Ceramides challenge? I thought this was suppose to help not make the situation worse.

How much did you use?

You may just need to use a bit less and rinse it out. I have never left wheat germ in my hair, I always use it in my DC and then rinse it out.

I've used between a tblspn and a tspn.

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
I bought the brand from Vitamin Shoppe as well. I mix it in with my Megatek conditioner.

As with all oils, if you are using the oil on your hair outside of a conditioning treatment or something else you will rinse out - make sure you are using it SPARINGLY. Many find certain oils make their hair feel hard because they try to douse their hair in oil instead of using a few drops to lightly coat the strands. If you can wipe off oil off your hair after application, chances are you put too much on.

Curlykale

I use it to seal but just a couple of drops on top of my leave in conditioner, on wet hair and especially on my ends. A shampoo should eliminate the build up though. My hair is protein sensitive and oils have never done anything to it that didn't go away with a natural shampoo.

wheat germ oil is a main component in Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose, which is considered moisturizing: I wouldn't worry.

It is a ceramide oil that works better if paired with moisturizing oils and conditioners on my hair.

Last edited:

Kinkyhairlady

Maybe I put too much in my hair I was saturating my hair with it. I'm washing my hair tomorrow, hopefully it will go back to normal. Thanks ladies.

ladylibra_30

I don't remember the brand and I'm at work but I got it at Vitamin Shoppe. I mixed it with Kathy Howse moisturizer but I should try it in a conditioner instead I guess.

It is most likely the Viobin brand WGO - I get mine from VS as well. I think you'll get better results if you use it in a DC.

Also, try using Dessert Essence's Jojoba Oil which is also sold at VS for @10.00 -11.00 bucks. I love this stuff to pieces and my hair feels sooooo velvety, soft, & satiny after using it.

Lexsmarie

I have success with the oil but I take it internally via softgel or in my Egg cocktail. I never applied it to my hair directly.

silenttullip

pure wheat germ oil made my hair shed at first...
I decreased the amount I used and it made my hair very moisturized and strong. Unless you have mbl or longer u only need 1 or 2 table spoons
It does contain protein but not a large amount. Aubrey Honeysuckle rose may be a better way for you to get the protein from wheat germ oil but no shedding. All aubrey conditioners contain protein just in smaller amounts in hsr

Last edited:

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
I have used it without issues in several ways: as an oil rinse, to detangle and to seal. I mainly use it for detangling and oil rinsing now.

NIN4eva

I only use it as a hot oil treatment with mixed Olive oil and orange essential oil. I can't stand the smell of wheat germ oil alone. So I'll only use it in a way in which I can shampoo it out afterward. I've noticed increased moisture retention, shine and smoothness. I do it about once a month. And a little goes a LOOOOOOOng way.

wednesday

Didn't have great results using it directly on my hair but i like to add it to my DC and i add it to my protein/fruit smoothies.

miss cosmic

i had great results using wheat-germ oil as a pre-poo.
i mix it with aloe vera gel or juice and apply to my hair in sections. then apply coconut oil to each section and leave under cling-wrap for an hour before shampooing and conditioning as normal. be warned, things can get messy.
i believe chicoro recommends this as well, i think it's called moisture-drenched pre-poo or something like that. can't remember exactly.

Golden75

#NOMOREHAIRPRODUCTS
I used a funky brand from vitamin shoppe also. I like it best when mixed into a dc. Maybe a tsp-1tbsp.

When used alone, my hair felt hard too.

4bslbound

OP, people use WhGO to seal their hair so if you are putting this on your hair and leaving it without moisturizing your hair you have essentially sealed out the moisture causing it to break. I have really dry hair so what I do it spritz it with distilled water then seal with WhGO and it leaves it very soft.

nakialovesshoes

i had great results using wheat-germ oil as a pre-poo.
i mix it with aloe vera gel or juice and apply to my hair in sections. then apply coconut oil to each section and leave under cling-wrap for an hour before shampooing and conditioning as normal. be warned, things can get messy.
i believe chicoro recommends this as well, i think it's called moisture-drenched pre-poo or something like that. can't remember exactly.

miss cosmic

I, too, began using it b/c of Chicoro. I used it just as you explained as a prepoo w/the EVCO. It made my hair so moisturized that I decided to make a moisture concoction for daily use. I mix AV & WGO into a pudding consistency. Today I added a little bit of Castor Oil. My hair dried so soft & shiny. I usually put EVCO on top for the added benefits & to mimic the prepoo.

I'm loving WGO!