Negative Thoughts Becoming Ammunition

loolalooh

I've heard that the devil can't read our minds. I've heard that what he does is suggest thoughts and it is up to us whether to absorb these thoughts. Whether this is the case or not, it made me consider Proverbs 18:21 (KJV) a little deeper:

21Death and life are in the power of the tongue: and they that love it shall eat the fruit thereof.

Commonly held translation: Be careful what you say. Words have power. Words can become reality.

Digging a lil deeper: Be careful what you say. The devil is listening and can use our words as ammunition against us.

Okay, here's where I'm going with this. There was a time when a good Christian friend of mine would ask me "How are you really doing?" and I would respond with "I'm kind of down about something." She would then ask "About what?" and I would tell her what it was. What I noticed was that something began to take a bigger hold in my thoughts. I started to think about it more, and as a result talk about it more, and then think about it even more. I guess the secular word for it would be "dwelling". However, I think something spiritual happens. I think when we share our negative thoughts (anger, frustration, hurt) with others, the devil overhears it and we essentially make it easier for him to poke at us.

For example: Jeff tells Jim that he's "upset about the driver who cut him off and will not tolerate it the next time". Now consider what the devil will do with that piece of information? perhaps set up a "next time"?

So my question is this: Do you think we should keep negative emotions/thoughts between us and God for Him to work out? or can we share them with trustworthy friends and not worry about the devil listening in? Also, any Scripture would be helpful.

Renovating

I think it's human to vent sometimes. Job did it but like HeChangedMyName pointed out in another thread, we have to confess the word daily. I think the key is not dwelling on the negative thoughts.

Release the thoughts if you must, but afterwards let it go.
Then confess the word.

"Although I feel _________ right now, I know that God is a healer, provider, my shield, my protection etc., and I will not lean on my own understanding. I will continue to acknowledge him and trust in him. "

Ije4eva

I think its very important to be real. We can't deal with something if we're denying it or hiding it.

1 John 1:9 (New International Version)
9If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.

Another thing that comes to mind is what Jesus said when He was about to go to the croos:

Matthew 26:36-38

Gethsemane

36Then Jesus went with his disciples to a place called Gethsemane, and he said to them, "Sit here while I go over there and pray." 37He took Peter and the two sons of Zebedee along with him, and he began to be sorrowful and troubled. 38Then he said to them, "My soul is overwhelmed with sorrow to the point of death. Stay here and keep watch with me."

The whole thing about confiding in a trusted friend is that hopefully either they will listen or encourage you to "get out of your funk" or both. No matter what the devil is listening to, if you're talking to your God whether through a trusted friend or just in prayer or whatever, the Lord is cleansing you and helping you deal. The devil has nothing to use against you, in fact, if you bottle up your struggles and then you blow up one day and sin, he'll probably have that to use against you instead of you just airing out your frustrations. I don't know if I'm making a lot of sense but I hope my thoughts are coming across. I think its better to be real, but like mentioned above don't "dwell", don't give yourself an excuse to get stuck in complaining mode. When I voice my frustrations, God is usually showing me where He's still growing and sanctifying me, where my fiath is being tested so that I can have victory in that area.

Last edited:

ChasingBliss

OP, I have been wondering the same thing for years. I'm glad you posted it because the responses are very comforting. Thank you all for contributing to this thread.

loolalooh

I think it's human to vent sometimes. Job did it but like HeChangedMyName pointed out in another thread, we have to confess the word daily. I think the key is not dwelling on the negative thoughts.

Release the thoughts if you must, but afterwards let it go.
Then confess the word.

"Although I feel _________ right now, I know that God is a healer, provider, my shield, my protection etc., and I will not lean on my own understanding. I will continue to acknowledge him and trust in him. "

Thanks for sharing, especially the bolded - confessing the word. If anything, that piece shows strength in one's words. Applying it to the Jeff-Jim example, the devil would have nothing to work with.

loolalooh

I think its very important to be real. We can't deal with something if we're denying it or hiding it.

1 John 1:9 (New International Version)
9If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.

Another thing that comes to mind is what Jesus said when He was about to go to the croos:

Matthew 26:36-38

Gethsemane

36Then Jesus went with his disciples to a place called Gethsemane, and he said to them, "Sit here while I go over there and pray." 37He took Peter and the two sons of Zebedee along with him, and he began to be sorrowful and troubled. 38Then he said to them, "My soul is overwhelmed with sorrow to the point of death. Stay here and keep watch with me."

This is a good example. I'll revisit this Scripture later on today. Yes, you're right, Jesus did not hide His pain, though He did appear to hold back the true magnitude of his agony. His words did not reveal potential ammunition, but they did give a glimpse of His sorrow. He would always shift it back to God's will. "Thy will be done."

The whole thing about confiding in a trusted friend is that hopefully either they will listen or encourage you to "get out of your funk" or both. No matter what the devil is listening to, if you're talking to your God whether through a trusted friend or just in prayer or whatever, the Lord is cleansing you and helping you deal. The devil has nothing to use against you, in fact, if you bottle up your struggles and then you blow up one day and sin, he'll probably have that to use against you instead of you just airing out your frustrations. I don't know if I'm making a lot of sense but I hope my thoughts are coming across. I think its better to be real, but like mentioned above don't "dwell", don't give yourself an excuse to get stuck in complaining mode. When I voice my frustrations, God is usually showing me where He's still growing and sanctifying me, where my fiath is being tested so that I can have victory in that area.

You're making sense. Maybe we can share our pain (like Jesus did) but filter how "real" we get?

Ije4eva

This is a good example. I'll revisit this Scripture later on today. Yes, you're right, Jesus did not hide His pain, though He did appear to hold back the true magnitude of his agony. His words did not reveal potential ammunition, but they did give a glimpse of His sorrow. He would always shift it back to God's will. "Thy will be done."

You're making sense. Maybe we can share our pain (like Jesus did) but filter how "real" we get?

So a couple of things. I don't think that Jesus necessarily filtered how He felt before going to the cross. Even before he said "thy will be done", He first asked if it was possible for the cup to be taken away. He knew the agony He was about to go through, and even asked for a way out. That's very real to me, for the Messiah of the whole world who knew exactly what He came here for to say "is there any other way?". But still the devil had nothing to use against Him, again if you "confess" (which I feel includes how you're feeling), you are cleansed and therefore blameless, the devil has no legal ground to accuse you. And your Advocate who is on your side (Jesus) knows that you brought the issue to Him, so when the devil tries his argument is null and void. If we want to talk about ammunition in Jesus's case prior to the cross, there's an important verse I just read yesterday, again He said this was right before the crucifixion:

John 14:30-31 (New International Version)
30I will not speak with you much longer, for the prince of this world is coming. He has no hold on me, 31but the world must learn that I love the Father and that I do exactly what my Father has commanded me...

So no matter what Jesus had said or was going to say, its clear that the devil had nothing to use against Him. Jesus was praying through and speaking of his agony, but allowed Himself to submit to God. An angel came to Him and strengthened Him and from there He moved forward. That's an example for me to be real and be truthful, but in the end, you've got to allow yourself to prayerfully submit to God's will. And wrestle until you find it in your heart to keep going.

See the passage from Luke 22:

Jesus Prays on the Mount of Olives

39Jesus went out as usual to the Mount of Olives, and his disciples followed him. 40On reaching the place, he said to them, "Pray that you will not fall into temptation." 41He withdrew about a stone's throw beyond them, knelt down and prayed, 42"Father, if you are willing, take this cup from me; yet not my will, but yours be done." 43An angel from heaven appeared to him and strengthened him. 44And being in anguish, he prayed more earnestly, and his sweat was like drops of blood falling to the ground.[c]

Last point. You're definitely right that you should be careful what comes out of your mouth. The bible says to "take captive every thought". But it also says that "out of the overflow of the heart the mouth speaks". So there are some thoughts you can cast down and "take captive" before they have a chance to make it out of your mouth. If you're realllllly struggling and the thought isn't exactly disappearing (to me thats an overflow) then possibly the best thing you can do is to talk about it so that you can be cleansed.

James 5:16
Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective.

As far as filtering I think the main thing I've learnt is be real, but picky who I speak to, because with the right person, just letting it out is the first step to moving forward from it. And I'm more concerned with "getting my healing" than whether or not the devil heard. I'm reducing the power he has over me anyway because I'm ensuring that I'm getting whole. HTH!

Last edited:

loolalooh

So a couple of things. I don't think that Jesus necessarily filtered how He felt before going to the cross. Even before he said "thy will be done", He first asked if it was possible for the cup to be taken away. He knew the agony He was about to go through, and even asked for a way out. That's very real to me, for the Messiah of the whole world who knew exactly what He came here for to say "is there any other way?". But still the devil had nothing to use against Him, again if you "confess" (which I feel includes how you're feeling), you are cleansed and therefore blameless, the devil has no legal ground to accuse you. And your Advocate who is on your side (Jesus) knows that you brought the issue to Him, so when the devil tries his argument is null and void. If we want to talk about ammunition in Jesus's case prior to the cross, there's an important verse I just read yesterday, again He said this was right before the crucifixion:

30I will not speak with you much longer, for the prince of this world is coming. He has no hold on me, 31but the world must learn that I love the Father and that I do exactly what my Father has commanded me...

So no matter what Jesus had said or was going to say, its clear that the devil had nothing to use against Him. Jesus was praying through and speaking of his agony, but allowed Himself to submit to God. An angel came to Him and strengthened Him and from there He moved forward. That's an example for me to be real and be truthful, but in the end, you've got to allow yourself to prayerfully submit to God's will. And wrestle until you find it in your heart to keep going.

39Jesus went out as usual to the Mount of Olives, and his disciples followed him. 40On reaching the place, he said to them, "Pray that you will not fall into temptation." 41He withdrew about a stone's throw beyond them, knelt down and prayed, 42"Father, if you are willing, take this cup from me; yet not my will, but yours be done." 43An angel from heaven appeared to him and strengthened him. 44And being in anguish, he prayed more earnestly, and his sweat was like drops of blood falling to the ground.[c]

Last point. You're definitely right that you should be careful what comes out of your mouth. The bible says to "take captive every thought". But it also says that "out of the overflow of the heart the mouth speaks". So there are some thoughts you can cast down and "take captive" before they have a chance to make it out of your mouth. If you're realllllly struggling and the thought isn't exactly disappearing (to me thats an overflow) then possibly the best thing you can do is to talk about it so that you can be cleansed.

Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective.

As far as filtering I think the main thing I've learnt is be real, but picky who I speak to, because with the right person, just letting it out is the first step to moving forward from it. And I'm more concerned with "getting my healing" than whether or not the devil heard. I'm reducing the power he has over me anyway because I'm ensuring that I'm getting whole. HTH!

Thank you! Your posts and authenticitymanifesting's post have made me consider some things. You brought up some key verses and observations. :)

CoilyFields

I never thought about it but I do not believe the devil can read our minds. But I do know that he's been around long enough and familier enough with humanity to not have to read our minds to be pretty accurate about how we feel or what we're thinking. (Just like a parent knows their child lol).

Philippians 4:8
Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

So it IS important to speak life but also important to think/meditate on what is good and life so that it gets in our HEARTS...becuase from the heart the mouth speaks.

So yes...be real with God (he already knows what we're really thinking)...yes, its helpful to have a saved friend that is going to speak life to you after you vent. Just make sure, like was said above, that the conclusion is "But God...*Insert His word here*"

topsyturvy86

I think it's important to share our struggles and things we're going through with each other for many reasons. A few: a problem shared is a problem halved. It always feels better when you get things off your chest and besides its the only way we can support and help one another. You can't help someone if you don't know they need it, and you can't know they need it if they don't tell you. We are the body of christ if you can't lift something with your right hand, you use your left as well, right? In the same spirit, the bible encourages us to pray together and we need to develop relationship for this to happen and if we're praying for each others needs, we need to know what they are.

Also, the bible encourages us to confess our sins to one another. When you bottle things up especially sin we're struggling with, we begin to keep a secret with the devil. And as we all know, the battlefield is in your mind. When we have someone to hold us accountable and it's out in the open, the devils power over your mind is loosened. Sometimes i've held on to negative thoughts and fear in my heart but when I discuss them with a trusted person, I realize it isn't actually as bad/serious as I thought.

Finally, the devil has no power over us and and cannot make us do anything without our consent. Not letting things out when one feels like it is like living in fear of the devil and his powers. Why should we care when He that is in us is much greater. We are relational beings and need fellowship. We just need to with everything, renew our minds with the word of God and speak to the right people. Preferrably Christians (although God can use non-christians to speak to you also) that can encourage with the word of God.

OhmyKimB

I don't have anything to add of this moment, just wanted to say I love this thread I've found it very helpful

MSee

Took the words right out of my mouth :lachen: Just kidding. Learned a lot from your post.

I thought of James 5:6 when I read the first post but I wanted to add that from experience, it's best to be very open to God first and let Him lead you to who you should open up to, if anyone at all. Sometimes the answer or ease comes right after a frank prayer. I said that because opening up to people I thought were tustworthy or more mature Christians have left me in a worst position at times. Even when God stepped in and I'm trying to move on they kept labelling me and used it as a means to assassinate my reputation. It's good to vent sometimes but be very careful to whom. Notice that at times Jesus only took certain of His disciples not all knew what was going down during certain events.

loolalooh

I never thought about it but I do not believe the devil can read our minds. But I do know that he's been around long enough and familier enough with humanity to not have to read our minds to be pretty accurate about how we feel or what we're thinking. (Just like a parent knows their child lol).

Philippians 4:8
Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

So it IS important to speak life but also important to think/meditate on what is good and life so that it gets in our HEARTS...becuase from the heart the mouth speaks.

So yes...be real with God (he already knows what we're really thinking)...yes, its helpful to have a saved friend that is going to speak life to you after you vent. Just make sure, like was said above, that the conclusion is "But God...*Insert His word here*"

I think it's important to share our struggles and things we're going through with each other for many reasons. A few: a problem shared is a problem halved. It always feels better when you get things off your chest and besides its the only way we can support and help one another. You can't help someone if you don't know they need it, and you can't know they need it if they don't tell you. We are the body of christ if you can't lift something with your right hand, you use your left as well, right? In the same spirit, the bible encourages us to pray together and we need to develop relationship for this to happen and if we're praying for each others needs, we need to know what they are.

Also, the bible encourages us to confess our sins to one another. When you bottle things up especially sin we're struggling with, we begin to keep a secret with the devil. And as we all know, the battlefield is in your mind. When we have someone to hold us accountable and it's out in the open, the devils power over your mind is loosened. Sometimes i've held on to negative thoughts and fear in my heart but when I discuss them with a trusted person, I realize it isn't actually as bad/serious as I thought.

Finally, the devil has no power over us and and cannot make us do anything without our consent. Not letting things out when one feels like it is like living in fear of the devil and his powers. Why should we care when He that is in us is much greater. We are relational beings and need fellowship. We just need to with everything, renew our minds with the word of God and speak to the right people. Preferrably Christians (although God can use non-christians to speak to you also) that can encourage with the word of God.

Thanks for sharing, especially the bolded. At the end of day, God is in charge! God is the Almighty.

Bmack

Yes, I do. I swear I was just thinking this and my sister and I was having this conversation yesterday. I got myself into a bad situation. Lets just say I allowed someone to take advantage of me and it left me a little beat up and disappointed. My sister told me to pray and that the urge to "dwell" was nothing, but the devil trying to make it worse.

She said you need to speak positively to yourself about the situation- not to give it power. I started doing that -especially this morning and I felt so empowered :yep:...There is power in words!!!

Like other posters have said. Vent, but then release and let go!! Its hard, but it can be done. Yes, God is in charge.

OP thanks for making this thread!!! Everything is on purpose honey. I was looking for answers and something said look in the chrisitan forum!!!

I've heard that the devil can't read our minds. I've heard that what he does is suggest thoughts and it is up to us whether to absorb these thoughts. Whether this is the case or not, it made me consider Proverbs 18:21 (KJV) a little deeper:

21Death and life are in the power of the tongue: and they that love it shall eat the fruit thereof.

Commonly held translation: Be careful what you say. Words have power. Words can become reality.

Digging a lil deeper: Be careful what you say. The devil is listening and can use our words as ammunition against us.

Okay, here's where I'm going with this. There was a time when a good Christian friend of mine would ask me "How are you really doing?" and I would respond with "I'm kind of down about something." She would then ask "About what?" and I would tell her what it was. What I noticed was that something began to take a bigger hold in my thoughts. I started to think about it more, and as a result talk about it more, and then think about it even more. I guess the secular word for it would be "dwelling". However, I think something spiritual happens. I think when we share our negative thoughts (anger, frustration, hurt) with others, the devil overhears it and we essentially make it easier for him to poke at us.

For example: Jeff tells Jim that he's "upset about the driver who cut him off and will not tolerate it the next time". Now consider what the devil will do with that piece of information? perhaps set up a "next time"?

So my question is this: Do you think we should keep negative emotions/thoughts between us and God for Him to work out? or can we share them with trustworthy friends and not worry about the devil listening in? Also, any Scripture would be helpful.

Last edited:

loolalooh

Thanks for all your input, ladies! From what I gather, we should be careful what flows from our mouths but not to the point of withholding our frustrations. What IS important is to follow up our "vent" with the Word or recognition of God.

I revisited Job and noted that he openly expressed his sufferring and frustration, but also recognized God as the Almighty. (Confess the word, as some of you mentioned.)The devil also had to "fish around" for ammunition each time. (Whether or not we hand him ammunition on a silver platter doesn't matter. He'll test out each weapon until one works.) Yes, the ammunition did bring Job down to a point of pain, but it never once accomplished it's ultimate goal - to make Job curse God (see Job 1). As Christians, we have to expect gunfire; knowing that, are we going to throw in the towel? No.

I highlighted sections of Job's last protest where he still recognizes God's authority.

Job 31 (NLT)
Job’s Final Protest of Innocence

1 “I made a covenant with my eyes
not to look with lust at a young woman.
2 For what has God above chosen for us?
What is our inheritance from the Almighty on high?
3 Isn’t it calamity for the wicked
and misfortune for those who do evil?
4 Doesn’t he see everything I do
and every step I take?
5 “Have I lied to anyone
or deceived anyone?
6 Let God weigh me on the scales of justice,
for he knows my integrity.

7 If I have strayed from his pathway,
or if my heart has lusted for what my eyes have seen,
or if I am guilty of any other sin,
8 then let someone else eat the crops I have planted.
Let all that I have planted be uprooted.

9 “If my heart has been seduced by a woman,
or if I have lusted for my neighbor’s wife,
10 then let my wife belong to[a] another man;
let other men sleep with her.
11 For lust is a shameful sin,
a crime that should be punished.
12 It is a fire that burns all the way to hell.
It would wipe out everything I own.

13 “If I have been unfair to my male or female servants
when they brought their complaints to me,
14 how could I face God?
What could I say when he questioned me?
15 For God created both me and my servants.

He created us both in the womb.

16 “Have I refused to help the poor,
or crushed the hopes of widows?
17 Have I been stingy with my food
and refused to share it with orphans?
18 No, from childhood I have cared for orphans like a father,
and all my life I have cared for widows.
19 Whenever I saw the homeless without clothes
and the needy with nothing to wear,
20 did they not praise me
for providing wool clothing to keep them warm?

21 “If I raised my hand against an orphan,
knowing the judges would take my side,
22 then let my shoulder be wrenched out of place!
Let my arm be torn from its socket!
23 That would be better than facing God’s judgment.
For if the majesty of God opposes me, what hope is there?

24 “Have I put my trust in money
or felt secure because of my gold?
25 Have I gloated about my wealth
and all that I own?

26 “Have I looked at the sun shining in the skies,
or the moon walking down its silver pathway,
27 and been secretly enticed in my heart
to throw kisses at them in worship?
28 If so, I should be punished by the judges,
for it would mean I had denied the God of heaven.

29 “Have I ever rejoiced when disaster struck my enemies,
or become excited when harm came their way?
30 No, I have never sinned by cursing anyone
or by asking for revenge.

31 “My servants have never said,
‘He let others go hungry.’
32 I have never turned away a stranger
but have opened my doors to everyone.

33 “Have I tried to hide my sins like other people do,
concealing my guilt in my heart?
34 Have I feared the crowd
or the contempt of the masses,
so that I kept quiet and stayed indoors?

35 “If only someone would listen to me!
Look, I will sign my name to my defense.
Let the Almighty answer me.
Let my accuser write out the charges against me.
36 I would face the accusation proudly.
I would wear it like a crown.
37 For I would tell him exactly what I have done.
I would come before him like a prince.

38 “If my land accuses me
and all its furrows cry out together,
39 or if I have stolen its crops
or murdered its owners,
40 then let thistles grow on that land instead of wheat,
and weeds instead of barley.”

Job’s words are ended.