Nervous Hair Habits

Julia

Does anyone have any nervous hair habits? What are they and how can one stop doing it? I find that if my hair is down I am constantly touching it, looking for signs of breakage etc. It is driving me MADDDDDD! /images/graemlins/wallbash.gif Is there anyone else out there that does this or is it just me! I bet I am losing precious valuable hair by doing this /images/graemlins/frown.gif

L.A. Woman

If I'm deep into thought I'll mindlessly stroke my hair to pull out the loose hair (of course inspecting it) - as if that action will make it easier to think. Biiiimmmmbo

Faith

My hair habit (comes out of boredom) is pulling my hairs out. Short ones, long ones, medium ones, etc. lol! It's so bad that family members smack my hands when they see me in my hair. At times I get up from a couch and there's close to 50 or more strands of hair on the floor /images/graemlins/blush.gif I have been monitoring myself and it's getting better. It was so bad I actually prayed about it. Prayer works I tell ya /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Tea

If I'm really puzzling over something I'll twirl a little section of hair by my ear. If I'm stressed I'll pull at it (not pull it out /images/graemlins/naughty.gif ) so it ends up sticking out all over my head /images/graemlins/whyme.gif . Just those two alone is why I usually wear it up. On the rare occasions that I wear it down I'm usually so focused on rubbing on the new growth, inspecting the ends to see if they're split, dry, thin or uneven that I can miss a lot of what is going on around me. /images/graemlins/ohwell.gif

hairfanatic

I used to always twirl my hair around my fingers a long time ago. Then I started wearing my hair pinned up and that helped. Maybe if you got braids, that would keep you out of your hair for a while. Although braids didn't work for me it was definately a relief from the combing, seeing how long it was getting, etc. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Madison

i normaly wear my wig to work or either i sport a turban/headwrap. but at home thats a different story /images/graemlins/crazy.gif i love feeling the new growth i just cant keep my hand out of my head but lately i have been catching myself so now when i put my hands in my hair its to massage my scalp.

LondonDiva

When my hair is in twists I always play lightly in my scalp or feel the new growth. I take the ends of the hair and inspect them for splits. I think I like the fact more that I can take my hair and actually view it infront of my face with ease.

If my hair is swept back, I have a habit of smoothing the already smooth top.

shinyblackhair

I tend to stick my finger right in the thickest part of my head. Sort of start at the top and run my fingers through it. BAD! I also love the feeling of new growth so wavy and soft! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

moni

I find that when I'm at home I'll tie my hair with the intention of leaving it alone for the rest of the day. But I have these stubborn patches of dandruff in the front of my head and before the night is out I usually find myself bent over a mirror picking at it. sigh...trying to stop /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Jade21

Julia,

Faith is right. Prayer really does wonders /images/graemlins/grin.gif I used to be a major twirler when I was in school, especially around exam time. I never cared how many tangles I made /images/graemlins/frown.gif But, over time, I made a concerted effort to leave my hair ALONE.

My only problem now is that unconsciously sometimes I will reach up at the crown. I like the feeling of all that heat... /images/graemlins/grin.gif

~Jade~

adrienne0914

okay, i know this is crazy, but when i wear my hair down, i catch myself looking in this mirror on my desk at work to make sure it's still there... /images/graemlins/nuts.gif

other than that, i really don't obsess too much... /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

adrienne

Jenai

When I am feeling stressed (all the time) I twirl and pull at my hair. It got so bad recently that I twirled about 2 inches off the longest sections.

Julia, I have learned to control this by either wearing my hair in no contact styles or keeping it under a satin scarf or bonnet when I am at home. Constant manipulation is not good for the hair. HTH

pebbles

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
okay, i know this is crazy, but when i wear my hair down, i catch myself looking in this mirror on my desk at work to make sure it's still there...

[/ QUOTE ]

Girl, if I had your hair, I'd probably do the same thing too! /images/graemlins/grin.gif
I am constantly spraying my hair with Dew. I do this 4-5 times every day. With the weather being as cold as it's been, I'm obsessed with keeping my hair as moisturized as possible. I also touch my hair a lot when I wear it down, so I mostly wear my hair up in a bun. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

elite_chiq

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
L.A. Woman said:
If I'm deep into thought I'll mindlessly stroke my hair to pull out the loose hair (of course inspecting it) - as if that action will make it easier to think. Biiiimmmmbo

[/ QUOTE ]

thats what i do -smacks my hand-